German Schengen Application

We are about to apply for a German Schengen for the wife, but due to work commitments we can not give an exact date of travel. I have read the German Embassy website and it states "Address in Germany"My question is, Has anyone ever subbited an application with no Hotel or Flight reservations?

Hi,

My wife has applied a couple of times as we go to visit my brother out there and we get a letter from him, you must show them where you will be while in Germany, Usually you will get a 3 month multi entry Shengen Visa so what you could do it book a hotel (if not staying with friends or familly) around the time you think you will be going so your 3 month visa will still be valid, send that confirmation to the Embassy just to get the visa then you can change or cancel your hotel booking.

I am unsure if your in the UK or not but the London German Embassy is very good and quick, if you have all the right documents it will be back within 2 days and its free if your a EU citizen. If you do submit it without a hotel booking etc or any documents for that matter they will just return it as they did with me when I didnt send my stepsons birth certificate.

My wife and I make the most of the German Schengen visa and have used it to also holiday in Amsterdam and Spain as its valid for 3 months, so worh while getting a cheap flight to Europe too!!

Hope this helps, have a good trip

Andy

Thanks for that AndyAndyThai!

Dont suppose your brother wants to invite me to Germany ?? wink.gif

I thought you could get a 6 month multiple entry Schengen by post, if not I suppose 3 month will do!

What I will try and do is book a hotel which does not take payment at booking, then cancel once I have the Visa....... and rebook again once we have sorted our holidays from work!

I don't know if this is still the policy or what type of visa you are applying for, but when I was getting a tourist visa for my Thai friend, we were told by the Italian Embassy that Schengen tourist visas could only be issued for 3 months within a 6 month period. (Sound familiar?) My neighbors called it "La Dolce Vita" (the sweet life - 3 months Italy, 3 months Thailand).

Hi. A good website that dosnt always take a deposit is booking.com, check that one out. Im not sure about the 6 month visa, when we applied we expected to get just the week we asked for but they give you a 3 month.

Andy

Thanks for that AndyAndyThai!

Dont suppose your brother wants to invite me to Germany ?? wink.gif

I thought you could get a 6 month multiple entry Schengen by post, if not I suppose 3 month will do!

What I will try and do is book a hotel which does not take payment at booking, then cancel once I have the Visa....... and rebook again once we have sorted our holidays from work!

If the OP and andyandythai are EU/EEA nationals I really wonder why they have problems getting Schengen visa for their wifes. Such a visa is not only free in this case, but also a right and most questions have not to be answered on the Schengen visa forms (they are marked with *). Typically multiple entry visa are granted which are valid 2 to 5 years.

Of course the wifs has to be the legally married wife to be considered an EU/EEA family member.

Also they have to be traveling with, or to join, their EU/EEA national spouse.

Are you sure about the 2 to 5 year validity? I thought that they would still only get the standard 90 days; but can, of course, apply to stay longer once there if their EU/EEA national spouse was exercising an economic treaty right in the country concerned.

Also they have to be traveling with, or to join, their EU/EEA national spouse.

Are you sure about the 2 to 5 year validity? I thought that they would still only get the standard 90 days; but can, of course, apply to stay longer once there if their EU/EEA national spouse was exercising an economic treaty right in the country concerned.

Unlike other visa which are never due, the visa for EU/EEA family members are barely a proof to show to immigration officers the entitlement such family members have to enter the Schengen space, as you correctly write to join (or travel with) their spouse.

This visa being free of charge, no Embassy is interested in that workload and maximum validity is generally granted. In the case of Switzerland however no visa can be more than 2 years valid as the Embassy does not have the resources to keep files for up to 5 years (the maximum legal limit as per Schengen rules).

The visa entitles the holder in all cases (with further questions asked being illegal) for stays of up to 90 days within six month from the first entry, should however a stay be longer than that, there is again an entitlement to have a temporary or permanent residence permit from the authorities in any Schengen country.

P.S.: The same rules apply to non Schengen EU/EEA countries and I sucessfully won a case with Bulgaria (their Ambasador in Bangkok being a charming man) and Romania (horrible people) last year. The Romanian case is still pending as I had to pay, which is illegal and is reviewed by the European Commission.

I know this Visa is easy to obtain, my wife has had 3 Schengens from the French Embassy when we lived in Bangkok. This however is the first Schengen we have applied for in England and from the German Embassy which I also believe to be easier than the French!