Britains Stranded In Thailand

Thongkorn

Most, if not all embassies have very similar arrangements and all this BS about embassies not willing to help, or deserting their nationals is just that - BS. The people who claim this are either lying or are mentally sick or both; many are just looking for mugs to scam.

I don't take kindly to being called a liar, prat :annoyed: ...

You are sensitive huh. Maybe it is a little to close to the truth huh. My first thought on this thread was another angle on the nigerian scam. Edited by lovelomsak

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most, if not all embassies have very similar arrangements and The people who claim this are either lying or are mentally sick or both; many are just looking for mugs to scam.

He wasn't calling you a liar, he was calling the guy you helped a liar.

You said yourself that you were not allowed into the meeting, methinks you were not told the real reason he wasn't helped out of the country.

He wasn't a liar either and I take just as much offense to that if you read the entire story I knew the guy for years not just a few days. I even have his bank records and much more still here in boxes and he clearly said that.

I didn't give every semantic detail as it's too convoluted but I was originally in the room but the prat behind his bullet proof glass didn't like my advocating on behalf of the elderly gentleman as he couldn't manipulate and intimidate me like he was able to do to an old man and wanted no witness of same. End of..

all this BS about embassies not willing to help, or deserting their nationals is just that - BS.

That is directed at me!! Since I said it and it was true!! Not a lie and to be called a liar when neither he nor you have any clue of what you speak is offensive in the worst way.. The both of you are way out of order..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Most, if not all embassies have very similar arrangements and all this BS about embassies not willing to help, or deserting their nationals is just that - BS. The people who claim this are either lying or are mentally sick or both; many are just looking for mugs to scam.

You are sensitive huh. Maybe it is a little to close to the truth huh. My first thought on this thread was another angle on the nigerian scam.

<deleted> offf!! How's that for sensitivity? Prat..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Cambodian mothers beg on the streets of Bangkok and with just cause in some cases, ditto those Thai's with deformed bodies and missing limbs, often very sad indeed. But Brits begging on the streets of Bangkok, sorry, there's just not a sound case that can be made to suggest it's even close to real and not a scam.

Some really sad, jaded and blinkered people on this forum.. I thought the other channel was bad for sad souls and ignorance but this one is right up there.. Peace out..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Look, of course I wasn't calling you a liar. I was referring to all these so-called down and outs who claim that their embassies refuse to repatriate them.

As I have already posted, this is simply not the case in a vast majority - if not every case. These guys are either lying or, there is some reason that they are not disclosing , why their embassies have washed their hands of them, which also makes them liars. Maybe they are wanted back in their home country - who knows? You get the riff raff and scum of the world in places like Thailand, including many who have had previous trouble with the law in their home countries or are trying to avoid punishment for their past misdeeds.

I am no fan of most embassies, especial the Brits who often have a lot to answer for in terms of how they treat and look after their nationals in foreign countries, but the fact remains that they are obliged to repatriate people who are stranded and destitute, subject to certain checks being made and personal contacts followed up.

So stop being so sensitive......

I witnessed a woman once in the US Embassy throwing a conniption because the embassy staff wouldn't give her an emergency loan in cash. Of course, the staff was extremely polite and explained to her that they would first offer her the use of a telephone to call relatives and friends in the states. They would even provide documents and evidence to be sent to her relatives attesting to her plight if they had any doubts about the veracity of her request. Finally, if all else failed, they do have a policy for providing a one way ticket to expats who qualify for this service, but she has to try relatives first before they can begin to process the paperwork.

The lady was having none of this. She wanted money in cash, right now from the embassy. Her friend had told her this was possible, and this was her right as an American.

I am not so naive as to doubt that there has never been an expat mistreated by his/her embassy. But I would venture to say the vast majority of these cases have not been helped because they don't want the kind of help that is available. I would never trust the word of anyone in a situation like this without personally witnessing the behavior of the embassy staff myself.

Giving money to someone on the street just because they say they have been mistreated by their embassy is just plain stupid.

I accept your explanation but then you went to include this part. I wasn't being "sensitive" your post did not in any way distinguish me from the "others" you mentioned as I was clearly part of the group saying they may not help, that made it a directed statement at me...

Edited by WarpSpeed

I witnessed a woman once in the US Embassy throwing a conniption because the embassy staff wouldn't give her an emergency loan in cash. Of course, the staff was extremely polite and explained to her that they would first offer her the use of a telephone to call relatives and friends in the states. They would even provide documents and evidence to be sent to her relatives attesting to her plight if they had any doubts about the veracity of her request. Finally, if all else failed, they do have a policy for providing a one way ticket to expats who qualify for this service, but she has to try relatives first before they can begin to process the paperwork.

The lady was having none of this. She wanted money in cash, right now from the embassy. Her friend had told her this was possible, and this was her right as an American.

I am not so naive as to doubt that there has never been an expat mistreated by his/her embassy. But I would venture to say the vast majority of these cases have not been helped because they don't want the kind of help that is available. I would never trust the word of anyone in a situation like this without personally witnessing the behavior of the embassy staff myself.

Giving money to someone on the street just because they say they have been mistreated by their embassy is just plain stupid.

If you're skint how do you take care of yourself while all of this hopscotch is being played?

Sometimes it's just too urgent to play the games they wan't to play with your life, no one, repeat, NO ONE but her knows how dire her situation is/was and aren't really interested in being interrogated about it either, it's bad enough to go through without all that..

It's just a few hundred dollars, when they squander more than that over their lunch break. Make a note of it on her passport for future reference and of course make requirement for pay back and confiscate her passport on return, no need to continue to demean and belittle people in that demoralizing position already..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Some really sad, jaded and blinkered people on this forum.. I thought the other channel was bad for sad souls and ignorance but this one is right up there.. Peace out..

Mobi has already made the case quite adequately so you don't need a repeat.

As many posters have already stated, there is something dishonest with this person. You only have to look at the British embassy website to know that they will indeed repatriate UK nationals who find themselves in a desperate situation. They will ask for the phone numbers etc of any relatives or friends who may be able to help and will try to contact them. If this fails they will supply a one way ticket home and they will restrict the passport until the cost of the ticket is refunded.

There was a Canadian on this forum a few months back who claimed he was very sick and broke and he made similar claims about his embassy not being willing to repatriate him. I checked the Canadian embassy website and found that they do have similar arrangements to those described above. When I referred him to his website, he then changed his story and admitted that they had indeed arranged to repatriate him but when they bought the ticket, he changed his mind and decided to stay. He then said that having messed them around once, they would not help him again. It subsequently transpired that the guy was not broke, was an inveterate liar and had obtained much money from sympathetic farangs by using such hard luck stories.

Be warned....

This is total nonsense in my opinion.

The British Embassy have no funding to pay for repatriation and to my knowledge will not assist. ( except perhaps in the case of female rape victims ).

Suggest you contact them to verify this.

The policy and operations of the Embassy are very clear.

It is up to the individual to arrange his return using his / her friends and family network.

If there is no such network,little help will be forthcoming and in one recent case I am aware of, a person on overstay with phase 4 cancer was formally advised to turn himself in to the IDC............

People fall through the cracks and get into situations that are real suffering.

They deserve compassion and help not indifference.

Good though it is to see the "heart warming and caring" responses of so many on TV.

I increasingly think there are not many people on here but probably many robots.

Well my experience with something very similar though an elderly Aussie I new for some years who was being basically held hostage and starved to death (again long story) was that the Aussie embassy had no desire to help him out at all. I know this because I took him there and the consular at the time was a real scum bag I'll never forget his name (Hampton silver spoon) as he wouldn't let me sit in on the interview and I knew this old man was not going to be able to tell them the complete story which also included his poor health, sadly he was also a WWII vet and his benefits had been suspended too since he was unable to return to keep them current as per regulation..

We took out the last bit of savings we had in order to pay his maximum over-stay fine and buy him a ticket back to Aus where he has been staying with a long time friend of his now.

Just so you know his wasn't a romance gone wrong but a business scam on the part of his Thai partner who had bilked him out of his life savings and beyond..

Now we've exchanged places with him but it's all good as we're younger with more prospects but it's not been easy for our family with a lot of sacrifices.. Bottom line is we weren't scammed and did this of our own good will and are better people for it..

There area a lot of nice naive people in the world that doesn't make them scammers or losers just people trying to make a life for themselves and stumbling in the process.. A loser is not one who tries and fails but one who fails to try..

Well fair play to you Warpspeed, good man yourself. I'm shocked the Aussie's wouldn't help one of their own, I always presumed there was a legal obligation on all embassies to repatriate, apart from the moral obligation. Also a WW2 vet, and the government f***ks about with their payments, it's insult upon injury, it doesn't get any worse.

He should be able to take his embassy to court, for failure to repatriate and assist passage home, guess only an Aussie lawyer could answer that question, ditto all those other embassies who refuse help.

Personally I have a feeling it's often down to the discretion of the individual consular, as in your friends case, a pox on him the heartless c***. It would be so satisfying if he had to answer to a tribunal back in Oz for dereliction of duty.

You really are the good Samaritans, both you and your wife.

I was once robbed of everything in Amsterdam and the Aussie Consul really did'nt want to know, all sorts of silly answers like, nearly closing time, you have to get the train to the Hague, not open till 10 am tomorrow, all this after i had told them i did not have any money ! Finally the Brit consul helped me out with enough money for trip to Schipol airport and a free consular seat on Easy Jet back to Luton.

Then the 'nice' car park man in a turban would'nt allow me to reclaim my car, because i did not have the ticket, even though i could tell him the reg plate number AND the actual mileage on the speedo. Apparently he was "fed up with foreign tourists" wanting favours. To this day, i do not know why i did not have to pay for that flight ticket.

Edited by oldsailor35

I accept your explanation but then you went to include this part. I wasn't being "sensitive" your post did not in any way distinguish me from the "others" you mentioned as I was clearly part of the group saying they may not help, that made it a directed statement at me...

Hey, my friend, chill out and stop being so hot headed and pedantic. If you carry on like this you will make an enemy of everyone you correspond with on Thai Visa.

Relax. It's Saturday night in the Land of Smiles , the weather is warm and the women are beautiful and we have an incredible weekend of sport. :)

If you don't enjoy sport then at least do something to make you happy rather than posting angry and inflammatory posts in response to perceived insults on an internet forum. This supposed to be a sensible debate for the enjoyment of members - not for picking unnecessary fights with people you have never met and never intended to impugn your veracity.

If you're skint how do you take care of yourself while all of this hopscotch is being played?

They allow people to stay at the embassy, and feed them.

Evidence for this assertion ?

A visiting uncle of mine once got lost in Bangkok. Lost all my contact details and didn't know how to get back to my apartment.

He found his way to the embassy and they put him up for the night. There is a place at the embassy that is allocated specifically for people who have become stuck so that they are safe, until they get their situation sorted.

The following day my then girlfriend got a call from the embassy. They called back to the UK to get my contact details from family back home.

It was all rather funny actually, he never has and never will be allowed to live that one down.

As many posters have already stated, there is something dishonest with this person. You only have to look at the British embassy website to know that they will indeed repatriate UK nationals who find themselves in a desperate situation. They will ask for the phone numbers etc of any relatives or friends who may be able to help and will try to contact them. If this fails they will supply a one way ticket home and they will restrict the passport until the cost of the ticket is refunded.

There was a Canadian on this forum a few months back who claimed he was very sick and broke and he made similar claims about his embassy not being willing to repatriate him. I checked the Canadian embassy website and found that they do have similar arrangements to those described above. When I referred him to his website, he then changed his story and admitted that they had indeed arranged to repatriate him but when they bought the ticket, he changed his mind and decided to stay. He then said that having messed them around once, they would not help him again. It subsequently transpired that the guy was not broke, was an inveterate liar and had obtained much money from sympathetic farangs by using such hard luck stories.

Be warned....

This is total nonsense in my opinion.

The British Embassy have no funding to pay for repatriation and to my knowledge will not assist. ( except perhaps in the case of female rape victims ).

Suggest you contact them to verify this.

The policy and operations of the Embassy are very clear.

It is up to the individual to arrange his return using his / her friends and family network.

If there is no such network,little help will be forthcoming and in one recent case I am aware of, a person on overstay with phase 4 cancer was formally advised to turn himself in to the IDC............

People fall through the cracks and get into situations that are real suffering.

They deserve compassion and help not indifference.

Good though it is to see the "heart warming and caring" responses of so many on TV.

I increasingly think there are not many people on here but probably many robots.

:drunk: I don't drink, but here have one anyway .. :wai:

And here

Evidence to refute your claim there is no chance of help getting back home if desperate

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/when-things-go-wrong/crime/

OK In all fairness I would like to relate a story here about a friend and embassy help.

Back in the late sixties a close friend of mine was mugged and robbed of everything he had in South America. He went to the Canadian Emabassy for help. They flatly refused help because he couldnot prove canadian citizenship.Didnot even give him a call home.This man lived off the streets ,with the hookers ,people of the street, etc. He crossed 3 countries borders illegally before he finally got an embassy to assist him. The embassy was a Dutch embassy because hids mother was Dutch, and they were able to verify it some how.He lived for over 4 months on the kindness of south american people (mostly street people). He had the most intense crash course in spanish anyone can imagine. This man never adjusted to Canadian life for the remainder of his life. He spent as much time as possible after this in Mexico, his life was shattered.. But boy could he show me around spanish speaking countries.Places a lot of you would never see or be to afraid to look at. But forget that. I just want to say it does happen embassies do fail their countrymenand people are left to their own resources.

Be warned....

Obviously, you have never been there yourself so what the <deleted> would you know. I was not trying to scam anybody and only contacted 2 Consuls smart ass :annoyed:

Hey, my friend, chill out and stop being so hot headed and pedantic. If you carry on like this you will make an enemy of everyone you correspond with on Thai Visa.

Relax. It's Saturday night in the Land of Smiles , the weather is warm and the women are beautiful and we have an incredible weekend of sport. :)

If you don't enjoy sport then at least do something to make you happy rather than posting angry and inflammatory posts in response to perceived insults on an internet forum. This supposed to be a sensible debate for the enjoyment of members - not for picking unnecessary fights with people you have never met and never intended to impugn your veracity.

Like I care, based on the responses here in this thread there is only maybe 2 or 3 who I would associate with anyway..

My posts were in no way inflammatory, on the other hand those I responded to were and deserve everything they got back.. You still weren't man enough to change your response instead you continue on the same line..Speaks volumes of the type of person you are as are they..

Be warned....

Obviously, you have never been there yourself so what the <deleted> would you know. I was not trying to scam anybody and only contacted 2 Consuls smart ass :annoyed:

Yeah, he's a real prize this one :rolleyes: ..

Like I care, based on the responses here in this thread there is only maybe 2 or 3 who I would associate with anyway..

My posts were in no way inflammatory, on the other hand those I responded to were and deserve everything they got back.. You still weren't man enough to change your response instead you continue on the same line..Speaks volumes of the type of person you are as are they..

Whatever..... my! my! you are so full of angst....

And here

Evidence to refute your claim there is no chance of help getting back home if desperate

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/when-things-go-wrong/crime/

You have to be kidding.

Try it............

Their caveat is " very exceptional circumstances "

Please do not rely, or expect others to rely, on Her Majesties Embassy for help.

In the main they cannot and will not do it.

As humans maybe we should be open to the concept of helping each other ?

It's not that freaking difficult.

Why don't you old men meet at a specific place and time and fight it out ?

It would be absolutely hilarious and i'd certainly buy a ticket, the proceeds could go your charities of choice.

Zimmer Frames at Dawn. laugh.gif

or,

Keyboards at the ready,

Ready, Aim, Type !!

Edited by MrsMills

They'd send it to the embassy JT. It really is that simple!

Maybe they would as embassies aren't technically in Thailand, but really, you don't KNOW that. It would depend on the rules of a specific credit card company, and we do know, many won't send cards to Thailand.