For Tonight'S Bbq

thaigerd

looks good, gerd...what was the marinade?

tonite we had pork ribs, 4 whole slabs bought from the bulk (not wrapped) pork section of our local tescos, marinated 24 hrs in Heinz 'Bold&Hearty' steak sauce then oven roasted in my trusty little Whirlpool for about 2 1/2 hours to perfection; meat fallin' off the bone...

cut off a third of a slab for my own consumption then set the rest on the table in the upstairs terrace dining area where friends and family were playn' cards and drinkin'...gone in 30 minutes, devoured by kids and adults alike...

tutsiwarrior and falang cuisine triumph once again in rural Thailand...

looks good, gerd...what was the marinade?

tonite we had pork ribs, 4 whole slabs bought from the bulk (not wrapped) pork section of our local tescos, marinated 24 hrs in Heinz 'Bold&Hearty' steak sauce then oven roasted in my trusty little Whirlpool for about 2 1/2 hours to perfection; meat fallin' off the bone...

cut off a third of a slab for my own consumption then set the rest on the table in the upstairs terrace dining area where friends and family were playn' cards and drinkin'...gone in 30 minutes, devoured by kids and adults alike...

tutsiwarrior and falang cuisine triumph once again in rural Thailand...

I've used: Olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper, a few drops lemon juice, fresh Rosemary and Tarragon.

As a BBQ snob, I have to point out that you probably grilled the steaks, not BBQ'd them. True BBQ is done over indirect heat and takes time to do. I realize that I am being somewhat anal about this, but this is one of my minor pet peeves. :) (I also realize that in British usage, BBQ also includes grilling, but as an American, I have to fight for the more selective use of the word.)

As far as marinating imported steaks, why not? If you like the taste, go for it. I get ketchup whenever I go to Peter Lugers and use that as a steak sauce. Some purists shudder, but I like it, and I am the one eating the steak.

As a BBQ snob, I have to point out that you probably grilled the steaks, not BBQ'd them. True BBQ is done over indirect heat and takes time to do. I realize that I am being somewhat anal about this, but this is one of my minor pet peeves. :) (I also realize that in British usage, BBQ also includes grilling, but as an American, I have to fight for the more selective use of the word.)

As far as marinating imported steaks, why not? If you like the taste, go for it. I get ketchup whenever I go to Peter Lugers and use that as a steak sauce. Some purists shudder, but I like it, and I am the one eating the steak.

I do understand your point of BBQ, yes, I've meant "grilling".

The steaks have been great anyway ;)

I do understand your point of BBQ, yes, I've meant "grilling".

The steaks have been great anyway ;)

Actually, I looked at the photos yesterday again and rather wish I had been at your place and that you were feeling generous to hungry ThaiVisa members. :)

True BBQ is done over indirect heat and takes time to do.

Ypur version sounds like smoking. Which is done over indirect heat & takes time.

As an American I think of grilling steaks over a charcoal fire as "Bar-B-Q" & millions of Texans will agree with me. Mesquite wood smoked.

Ypur version sounds like smoking. Which is done over indirect heat & takes time.

As an American I think of grilling steaks over a charcoal fire as "Bar-B-Q" & millions of Texans will agree with me. Mesquite wood smoked.

.....Plus quite a few Australians, British and many, many other nationalities....

.....Plus quite a few Australians, British and many, many other nationalities....

Bar-B Q or barbecue, can mean the act of outdoor cooking, a type of meat covered in a spiced sauce, or a grill that usually cooks with wood or charcoal, but may use propane or electric. I like to flame braise my steaks, then cook slow to have the juices cooked in. I also use a sauce to marinate, then baste all my meats as it is a preference thing. I miss my good butcher shop steaks, that didn't requie beating to death to tenderise from back in the USA! I moved here from NC and they had pig pickins and barbeques for every and all occasions, and basted, slow cooked, pulled pork is hard to beat. I imported a case of Jonby and Billey's cookin sauce and use it on all my beef, and also like Italian dressing marinade once in a while. Gotta dress up this leather they call steak here most of the time, and my first purchase over here was a Gas Grill and a weber barrel grill. If smoking my meats I use hickory or apple wood chips. Got to love variety!!!!!!

Not to belabor a point, but in Texas, BBQ primarily means brisket. Go to any BBQ shack in the state, and what do they serve? Brisket, ribs, chicken, maybe pork shoulder--and nary a steak in the place. Of all the US states, Texas shapes the US BBQ scene (with all due respect to the Carolinas, KC, and a few other BBQ hotspots.)

I should also point out that in the US, perhaps no other cooking method ignites as much controversy and as many arguments as BBQ.

• 3 months later...

speaking of BBQ, where can one get a good BBQ sauce here in Thailand? we like to bast on the tomato based sauce on chicken or ribs in the final phase of cooking but, starting with a dry rub first. For pork, I grew up with North Caroline BBQ, a vinegar based sauce put on after cooking. I can't find the necessary spices to make a good sauce. Any suggestions?