Ed Visa, Any Options Other Than Language Studies?

mager

I want to live in CM for a year and ED visa is my best visa option.

If i'm about to spend time and money on education, I prefer to learn something that interest me. I have no interest in language studies so i'm looking for more appealing alternatives.

People constantly say that you can get this kind of visa when learning other subjects, learning muay thai and so on. Despite that, I couldn't find any information about reputable places that teach anything other than languages and deal with visa issues.

Anyone have any information that can help me ?

Any school that is registered with the MoE qualifies. That excludes most Muay Thai schools etc.

There are universities such as Payap that have various programs offered in English.

Any school that is registered with the MoE qualifies. That excludes most Muay Thai schools etc.

There are universities such as Payap that have various programs offered in English.

I'm looking for more specific information because I want to arrange everything before I come to CM...

I'm looking for more specific information because I want to arrange everything before I come to CM...

Specific about what?

Payap has a website. You might try using google and the search criteria that meet what you want and add Chiang Mai Thailand :)

If you use a real UNI for this ED visa option, do you need to take a minimum load of courses, or can you take only one course, and still qualify for the ED visa? My understanding is that for the private Thai language schools (which cynically can be called ED visa mills) you only need to attend class for 4 hours per week to qualify for the visa.

I think it's clear the OP is exploring his options. Google is nice, but perhaps some people have some personal experiences with some of these school programs they can share?

The MOE certification is generally just for in country ED visa extensions. That is nice because then no border run and stamp are required but the flip side is that for each extension you need new paperwork from the school.

It somewhat depends on the consulate where you apply for the visa but often times you can get a letter from some sort of school including longer massage programs, Muay Thai, scuba training etc.

Apply for a multi entry Non IMM ED visa and its good for 12 to 15 months. 15 if you make a border run right before the entry before expiration date.

With a multi entry then it requires a border run for a fresh stamp every 90 days.

I have done this a few times and you just need a professional looking letter from the school describing the details. They usually send Thai and English pages etc. Find a school who has some experience with this and apply to a non ball busting consulate in the US, UK, AUS, CDN etc.

If someone tries to tell you that all consulates require a MOE certified seal then listen to someone else who is not full of it.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I am pretty sure I didn't mention consulates. He mentioned schools and when someone wants to live somewhere, perhaps I made an assumption here, I thought that border runs would be out :)

Any extension to stay over 90 days in the country for an Ed visa will likely require a letter from the MoE. A multi-entry visa may (not will) be awarded at some of the consulates (usually honorary) in some places. The honorary consulate in Denver wanted the MoE letter, the school acceptance letter stating how long studies would be, and a receipt for payment for school. Singapore would only issue a single-entry even for study at CU, as they said any legit school in Thailand could arrange for the extensions :)

btw I have gotten Multi Non Imm ED visa's from the Los Angeles and Portland consulates on 3 occasions in the last 6 years. No MOE required.

Denver consulate used to be easy but something changed a few years ago and they don't like doing Visa's unless you live near Denver.

It's a good idea to include a bank statement or something to show your a person of substantial means and not a free loader looking for a job.

I generally did a variety of different types of courses during my stays but had healthy time gaps between programs. If a person just did a short program and nothing else during the year program it might be somewhat violating the spirit of the Visa but I have never been questioned or scrutinized at immigration etc.

also a day trip to Mae Sai every 90's days is very easy on the schedule and plenty of people do that. It's kind of nice to go shopping up there and get out of town once in a while. Can also go get a 90 day stamp and many other places like Cambo, Laos, Malaysia. if your new to the region its good to go places and learn a little.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I can confirm what CobraSnakeNeckTie said: you can make a case for just about any kind of study. Including massage courses, Thai traditional dance, etc. Just write a letter stating your name, the instutution and study, that you will be taking classes and the time period. Then let the institution or teacher sign it. That used to work very well for me in the past. What you may not get is a year long visa, but you will likely still get a regular Non-Immigrant O (Ed) visa. ( Of course it's debatable how much benefit that gives you over a tourist visa. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I can confirm what CobraSnakeNeckTie said: you can make a case for just about any kind of study. Including massage courses, Thai traditional dance, etc. Just write a letter stating your name, the instutution and study, that you will be taking classes and the time period. Then let the institution or teacher sign it. That used to work very well for me in the past. What you may not get is a year long visa, but you will likely still get a regular Non-Immigrant O (Ed) visa. ( Of course it's debatable how much benefit that gives you over a tourist visa. )

:) How long in the past did that work for you. A single-entry Ed visa is pretty useless if the school can't get you extensions and the OP clearly states he wants to live in CNX for a year.

:) How long in the past did that work for you. A single-entry Ed visa is pretty useless if the school can't get you extensions and the OP clearly states he wants to live in CNX for a year.

15 years ago, give or take a few.

I already hinted at a single N.I. visa not being of any remarkable benefit over a tourist visa.

15 years ago, give or take a few.

I already hinted at a single N.I. visa not being of any remarkable benefit over a tourist visa.

Can you buy a vehicle with a tourist visa? If the OP is going to stay a year he might want something to help him get around CM.

If the OP can stay for 2 years maybe he could study for a masters degree at Payap if he already has a bachelors degree.

http://ic.payap.ac.th/graduate/

Does anyone know if the Thai embassy in Laos would grant a a multi entry Non IMM ED visa with a letter from a non MOE school?

I'm not sure if there is a multiple entry ED visa per se (as in stated on the document), especially with language courses, but these ED type visas will be issued initially for 90 days only, and then extendible for the duration of whatever course it is someone takes studies in.

For example, the entry on an ED visa will be 'S' (single), which then can be extended every 90 days for up to 3 years on the same visa providing the studies are maintained. There is currently a fee for these 90 day extensions which is somewhere around the 2,000 Baht/Mo mark.

Like all single entry type visas, there will likely be an 'issue date' and maybe an 'enter before' date too, but unlike fixed duration visas, there will not be a 'us by' or 'utilise by' date with the ED.

Pretty sure that's right, but if anyone can add to this, then I'm sure you'll jump in ;)

Aitch

It seems to me for the OP's purposes if he is going for a non-Moe school he is going to need a one year multiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa, yes? Not available in Laos, so maybe he can get from his home country and maybe not, he'd need to ask.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you everyone for all of the information.

What I'm still looking for is actual institutes who offer year long programs along with handling the ED visa issues. Something like the language schools, but for something other than language studies.

Does anyone have information on such institutes?

I've never heard of any schools in CM offering visas for anything other than Language, TEFL/TESOL, or full matriculation. It may be tough finding what you are looking for here in CM. You have a better chance down in Bangkok or Pattaya.

As far as the quote below, a quick search on Chiang Mai University and their cancellations of student visa's should give you a better description. I believe INFAMOUS would be a better description.

Reputable and deal with visas ...

CMU and Payap. See their websites for what they offer.

I've never heard of any schools in CM offering visas for anything other than Language, TEFL/TESOL, or full matriculation. It may be tough finding what you are looking for here in CM. You have a better chance down in Bangkok or Pattaya.

As far as the quote below, a quick search on Chiang Mai University and their cancellations of student visa's should give you a better description. I believe INFAMOUS would be a better description.

CMULI and CMU are different beasts.

OP - This is a link to TV's classified sorted for Ed Visas. Looks like there are some offerings other than languages, but are in BKK. Good Luck

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/qsearch/1/q/ed+visa/

jdinasia -

http://www.chiangmai.ac.th/info_org_eng.php?menu=53&orglev=5

Language Institute, Chiang Mai University operating unit falls under Chiang Mai University's Academic Administrative Unit.

OP - This is a link to TV's classified sorted for Ed Visas. Looks like there are some offerings other than languages, but are in BKK. Good Luck

http://classifieds.t...ch/1/q/ed+visa/

jdinasia -

http://www.chiangmai...enu=53&orglev=5

Language Institute, Chiang Mai University operating unit falls under Chiang Mai University's Academic Administrative Unit.

:) Not gonna play your semantics game (about who cancelled visas etc) --- you can work around the issues you have on your own regarding the Language Institute. The only people I would refer to CMULI would be CMU students wanting to study there or High School students whose English needs improvement.

Since other than Thai --- which the OP is not interested in, CMULI offers no 1 year anythings the point is moot.

I would recommend Payap over CMU.

CMU however does offer programs that may fit the OP's desires

Uh? My semantics games? Take a look back at your post and mine. All the questions of semantics are yours!

"CMULI and CMU are different beasts." - YOU

"you can work around the issues you have on your own regarding the Language Institute. The only people I would refer to CMULI would be CMU students wanting to study there or High School students whose English needs improvement.

Since other than Thai --- which the OP is not interested in, CMULI offers no 1 year anythings the point is moot" - Again, - YOU

And please also note, that I never questioned who cancelled the visa, again, all you...

http://classifieds.t...ch/1/q/ed+visa/

jdinasia -

http://www.chiangmai...enu=53&orglev=5

:) Not gonna play your semantics game (about who cancelled visas etc) --- you can work around the issues you have on your own regarding the Language Institute. The only people I would refer to CMULI would be CMU students wanting to study there or High School students whose English needs improvement.

Since other than Thai --- which the OP is not interested in, CMULI offers no 1 year anythings the point is moot.

I would recommend Payap over CMU.

CMU however does offer programs that may fit the OP's desires

While it's great to see people falling over themselves to advise Moger how to "game" the visa system,has anyone considered the possibility that he actually works for immigration and will use your well-intentioned advice to clamp down on such fiddles.

But then again it would imply that someone at Immigration gives a dam_n and they have any interest in enforcing the law.

While it's great to see people falling over themselves to advise Moger how to "game" the visa system,has anyone considered the possibility that he actually works for immigration and will use your well-intentioned advice to clamp down on such fiddles.

But then again it would imply that someone at Immigration gives a dam_n and they have any interest in enforcing the law.

Are you serious? Am I asking to do something illegal here?

There are tons of language schools who advertise themselves with the "1 year ED visa deal". I think that the immigration department will start with them before coming here and asking for less known institutes.

All i'm asking for is referral to institutes who have a 1 year learning program and deal with visa issue, for something other than language studies.

Edited by mager

edited --- no need to continue a pissing contest.

@Folium --- nobody appears to have suggested how to "game" the system, as nobody has suggested anything unethical.

@mager -- ? The only thing I know that meets your stated desires is CMU and Payap and you would have to qualify for admission for both

Edited by jdinasia

Well, they gave enough of a dam_n to check out who is playing at Guitarman on Facebook :whistling:

One issue I've hear with ED visas is technically they expire the date the course finishes (might have 7 days grace?), not the date stated on the visa. I've heard of people getting busted at immigration on exit for big overstays due to this. If it's regular school/Uni immigration know term dates etc....

folium is just trolling you. He/She probably deposits a whole lot more than the requirement for their whatever visa... Just so they aren't gaming the system.

Oh I need 800K deposited for 3 months for a retirement visa?... Let me deposit 1.2 million. What a douche.

Mager what about just starting with a 2 entry tourist visa and extend it twice.. Then travel to Laos or Cambodia and get another 2 entry and repeat... That's a year with a lot less time demands than attending a school. Lot's cheaper also.

Maybe in that year period you can hunt around and find something that interests you. Maybe you want to get married or train to be a muay thai fighter, professional Chef, buddhist Monk etc.

I have used 2 non MOE schools in CM to get 3 multi entry Non Imm Ed visa's over the last 6 years. No sorry not going to gift wrap it for you and a bunch of other freeloaders who will likely screw it up. Really if your not interested in the curriculums its going to be hard to talk your way into a school.

"Hey is this xxxxx school? I want to study there and get a visa"

Okay so tell us about your xxxxx experience?

"Silence"

I had to sell myself in terms of previous training and interest for them to accept and sponsor me. Just calling up to buy a visa is going to be a stretch at best.

It might make the most sense to study the language for a year and then a lot more opportunities can be located and utilized.

They are many out there if your resourceful enough to find them.

One issue I've hear with ED visas is technically they expire the date the course finishes (might have 7 days grace?)....

Why is that an issue? The ED Visa is granted for an educational entitlement, so why should it continue after the educational course (whatever it happens to be), has expired? No more education, no more ED visa. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, unless I'm missing something here?

Aitch