Visa Run To Yangon, Burma

Last week (April 2011) I was in Burma and I like to share my experience:

I have German nationality, lots of visa run stamps and I applied at the Thai embassy in Yangon for a tourist visa. I was there on Thursday morning (they open up to 11:30 for the application). I had to show them my air ticket and they needed as usual two pictures, my passport and the application form. I asked if I can get a double entry visa and they asked me for my ticket. Because the ticket was only for a round trip BKK-Yangon-BKK I could only get a single entry visa. But they told me I would get a double entry visa if I had a ticket with multiple entries into Thailand. I paid 35 USD (they don't accept THB). There was a long row of Myanmar who had to wait in line. As farang the guy at the entrance told me I should go through without waiting. All was very friendly.

On Friday afternoon I picked up my passport with the visa. This time I waited in line but I had my passport within 30 minutes. I was there early afternoon 1:30pm and I guess if you come at 2pm you don't have to wait more than 10 minutes.

I was on a Thai Airways flight which arrives in Yangon 8:50am and the departure time is 7:45pm. This leaves plenty of time to do the visa run within two days and one night.

I got a two month stamp on arrival in BKK.

Yangon was nice and relative quite (compared to BKK). Taxis don't have a meter but the overcharging for new arrivals is harmless. They ask maximum for 4$ per trip to the embassy (for a 20 minute ride) when the regular price was something like $2. No hassle at all!

Excellent post!

I really don't recall all that many other people posting on T/V about going to Rangoon, Burma (Sorry, I use the old names) to get a tourist visas for Thailand.

Still this is good info and sounds like Burma could become an alternative for the foreigner's who've made one too many trips to Vientiane Lao. ;) ..

You asked about the visa to get into Burma: This was also easy. I went to the Myanmar Embassy one morning, paid 810 THB and collected my passport with visa 2 days later in the afternoon. I spend each time only about 10 minutes for the application and the collection. But a fried visited the embassy maybe a week earlier and he told me he waited at least an hour.

Most questions on that application form are obvious but they also asked for the current job and previous job. First I left this empty because I am a tourist in BKK :). But they insisted that at least I have to fill in the previous job.

The application has to be done in the morning. I think they open at 9am and they close at 12:00.

I saw some people bringing lots of passports and application forms to the embassy so there seems to be also a service available somewhere.