The Inner City Bike - A Concept For City Riding

Atmos

JR_Bike6532_2-432x300.jpg

shopping for a new bike today and saw a picture/advert for Inner City bikes, it certainly does qualify as a minimalist design . . . back home and looked at the website.

I don't expect to see too many of these on the road, but maybe they will catch on? I'd like to try one.

With a hinge in the middle they'd be portable for a commuter

inner-city-bikes-36.jpg

• 1 month later...

another unusual bicycle, this time a YikeBike

Characteristics

The YikeBike looks like a mini version of a penny farthing (mini-farthing). The YikeBike folds to 6 x 23.6 x 23.6 inches (150 x 600 x 600 millimetres) and weighs 23 pounds (10.8 kilograms), so it can be carried around.

The vehicle has no chain pedal, gear box, mechanical brake, cables or levers. These functions are provided by a 1.2 kW electric motor and controller. The YikeBike has electronic anti-skid brakes. There are also built-in lights, indicators and brake lights for safety.

It is not believed to be street-legal anywhere in the world.[2

yikebike-fold.jpgyikebike-folding-bike.jpg

yikebike-mini-farthing.jpg

The Citybike looks like it would hurt your knees as the seat is too low. If they can find some way of adjusting it's height then it would be better in my opinion.

Agreed.

The Citybike looks like it would hurt your knees as the seat is too low. If they can find some way of adjusting it's height then it would be better in my opinion.

Agreed.

It's not just the saddle height that is too low. Because of the extremely short wheelbase the saddle must be placed too far forward of the crankset and pedals. The ideal positioning would be to have your knee over the pedal spindle when the cranks are in the 3 and 9 o'clock position. IMHO, this bike is fine for short, slow trips in the city. Anyone with sensitive kness would be asking for trouble with this positioning.

some more designs here, not saying I necessarily like the designs, but do like the idea that people are thinking, innovating, some of their ideas may be adopted in future 'off the rack' bicycles

Bicycles are getting artsy smartsy

Creative bicycles, long a favorite subject of student industrial design contests, are busting out of art college and onto the streets. This year, there's been an explosion of creative frame designs across the cycling spectrum — road, mountain, electric, commuter — that are nothing short of sculpture on wheels. And unlike a lot of artsy inventions that are good only for mounting on a wall, these two-wheeled wonders not only work but also offer some innovative functional capabilities not seen on bikes with the century-old diamond-shaped frame.61764360.jpg

Pi Mobility PiCycle Sport Touring Striking electric/manual bike with anti-theft electronics and an arch-shaped aluminum frame swooping from hub to hub, which was originally sketched 20 years ago by Pasadena Art Center alum Marcus Hays. Price: US$3,000 (single-speed) and $5,000 (eight-speed). www.picycle.com

61764363.jpgTortola RoundTail

Circular logic: Steel-framed road bike that replaces a conventional bike's rear "triangle" (the chain stays, seat stays and seat tube) with two circular rings that purportedly absorb more shock by flexing. Price: US$2,250 for frame and fork only. www.roundtail.us

pops-home-image.jpg

Batmobile bike

Pops Fabrication 8 Series

Low rider-inspired steel flat-bar road bike with cowcatcher-like down-tube frame by celebrated San Jose bike designer Matt Rodriguez. Price: US$875 for frame only; $1,760 for single-speed with Phil Wood wheel set; $2,100 for 20-speed with Shimano 105 drive train. Eight-speed custom model shown is $2,100. www.popsfabrication.com

Edited by genghis61

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Velorbis Leikier

velorbis-leikier-bicycle.jpg

Two design forces, Velorbis and Danish designer and designer, Lars Leikier, combine their visions to create a bicycle of beautiful geometry and ergonomic comfort. With its patented special edition reinforced steel frame and chopper style fork individually handcrafted in Denmark, the Leikier is already a cycle icon for design connoisseurs and bike collectors everywhere.

and maybe more practical in Thailand:

Velorbis Mobii Trike

Velorbis_Mobii_Trike02.jpg

Sell the car! The Mobii is here! Urban transportation worries—parking spots, parking tickets, traffic, city stickers, insurance… need we go on… disappear with this urban transportation dream.

The Mobii is a multi-functional tricycle designed for the whole family. Children are securely fastened to comfortable cushioned seats with seatbelts in a protective high carrier box. Since the carrier box is positioned in the front of the Trike, you can keep watch over your precious cargo as you safely navigate through the city.

Each Mobii is individually hand-built in Denmark with the highest quality materials and parts. The cargo capacity is an impressive 200 pounds not including the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Training injuries inspire innovative elliptical bike

July 10, 2011

elliptigo_r620x349.jpg?75d51d0aea2efce5189afce216053cbc530c46a8

As an ultramarathoner, Brent Teal understands the ecstasy of a good run and the agony of being injured and sitting on the sidelines. So, when injured training partner Bryan Pate asked him to design a device to replicate outdoor running without the impact, Teal jumped on it.

In early 2010, after nearly five years of research, testing and prototypes, ElliptiGO was born in Teal's Solana Beach garage. As the world's first elliptical bicycle, the ElliptiGO has the sleek curves of a road bike, the low clean lines of a Razor scooter and the smooth elliptical movement of a full-size gym machine.

Info at www.elliptigo.com

Cost US$1,799 - $239

more

Edited by Atmos

July 15, 2011

“Hike up the mountain, and bike back down.” That’s the promise with the to-be-released Mountain Skyver from Ortovox, a foldable, carry-able, all-terrain scooter/bike made to be backpacked up-mountain and converted on top for fast, wheeled descents back down.

The Skyver comes with its own custom backpack to hold the bike as well as a helmet and some gear. The company says the heaviest model will weigh about 19 pounds. Assembly takes seconds on top to convert the bike and make it ready for downhill action.

6196.jpg6195.jpg

Skyver bike folds and tucks into its own custom backpack

There are no pedals and no seat, just foot pegs to stand on — it is made for going downhill only. The gravity-dependent scooter will ship to stores this fall, and prices will start at US$1,200, depending on model type.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. That was my first impression when viewing the video. The rider's legs go nowhere near straight. The effect is the same as borrowing a kid's bike.

July 15, 2011

“Hike up the mountain, and bike back down.” That’s the promise with the to-be-released Mountain Skyver from Ortovox, a foldable, carry-able, all-terrain scooter/bike made to be backpacked up-mountain and converted on top for fast, wheeled descents back down.

The Skyver comes with its own custom backpack to hold the bike as well as a helmet and some gear. The company says the heaviest model will weigh about 19 pounds. Assembly takes seconds on top to convert the bike and make it ready for downhill action.

6196.jpg6195.jpg

Skyver bike folds and tucks into its own custom backpack

There are no pedals and no seat, just foot pegs to stand on — it is made for going downhill only. The gravity-dependent scooter will ship to stores this fall, and prices will start at US$1,200, depending on model type.

Thanks for the link ..... and the amusement.

Let's see. First you carry a 30 pound backpack up the mountain. Then you spend time re-assembling a "bike" (no saddle, no pedals; I'm not sure that's a bicycle).

Then you have two options:

1. Find a road to ride down. If there's an uphill in the middle of the descent, you have to push your bike along the road.

2. Descend on a trail. Then you still have the same problem as above but you're also riding a less-safe bike because you have less contact points with it.

19 pounds is actually pretty heavy considering that there is no saddle, no pedals, no gears and no shifters.

How can I invest in this?

^ maybe for young 'adventure seekers' with wealthy parents - they could pay someone to carry it up there for them! Or helicopter to the top, as the snowboarders/skiers do.

19 pounds/9kg isn't too bad though, but then there's food/water . . . your 30 does look likely.

I'd like to try the EliptiGO in #14, I've had lots of ankle/Achilles problems from hill running and that one looks like a good rehab machine.

Meantime, stick to my conventional mtb.

ingsoc-bicycle1.jpg

INgSoc bicycle

This bicycle conceives of a future where power-assisted bike will certainly become the prevailing form of urban transportation.

In terms of INgSOC’s construction, the frame is built from carbon fiber shatterproof polymer for its strength succumb to weight ratio.

The silhouette of INgSoc frame coalesces zero dynamic silhouettes of triathlon designs with flexible handling. The mono-direction strength of the frame offers great adaptability.

The ride-style-control permits the rider to control handling against comfort ratio, making the bicycle a perfect daily commuting bike, while still marketing its ability for more aggressive handling in racing environment.

more

Project Aura wheel lighting system

Aura_1.jpg

. . . . Project Aura is a bicycle lighting system designed to address the issue of nighttime urban bike commuting."

The design, by Ethan Frier and Jonathan Ota of Carnegie Mellon University, was recently chosen as the student winner in the Transportation category of this year’s Core77 Design Awards.

Unlike similar wheel lights, The Project Aura lighting system is based on LEDs that are integrated into the rim. The LEDs are powered by a hub dynamo, so the lighting becomes a closed system integrated into the wheels.

Though Frier and Ota won the student design award with a working prototype, they acknowledge that their project is still in its infancy. At this point they are continuing to develop the product and hope to someday put it on the market.

more

Edited by Atmos

• 2 weeks later...

Smart eBike in the news

smart-e-bike-side.jpg

Daimler Will Build Smart Ebike

Published Aug 23, 2011

• Smart will expand its portfolio of electric vehicles when it begins production next year of the Ebike.
  • The Smart Ebike will be sold initially in Europe and North America.
  • The Ebike is being developed and built in cooperation with German bike manufacturer Grace

Smart hopes to tap into a growing movement in Europe and other markets for e-bikes. The bicycle industry estimates that sales of e-bikes in Europe jumped 40 percent last year, to around 700,000 units. The Smart Ebike is a lightweight two-wheeler that combines pedal power with a 250-watt electric motor and a removable lithium-ion battery pack that can be recharged from standard household current. Range is 60-plus miles, and top speed is 15 mph.

Among the bike's features are lightweight aluminum and plastic construction, disc brakes, LED head- and taillights, 26-inch wheels, belt drive, regenerative braking, three-speed gearshift, adjustable seat height and a built-in USB port for smartphones.

read more

• 3 weeks later...

Some early concept bikes!

Last weekend there was a festival on the riverside in Chanthaburi city, we went on Friday night, one display area was by the Chanthaburi Old Bicycle Club; only took a few pics as intended to go back again Saturday but the weather set in, rained all day/night and was flooded on Sunday, so much for my plans of camera and notebook to get the details of the bikes.

Just three pics here

a collection of bikes - Rudge, Philips, Raleigh

a Dayton lady's bike from 1930

and the one with two bikes I'm unsure what the first one is, behind was labeled as 1932 Royal Enfield.

Next time I see an old person on an old bike I'll look closer, might be a really old two-wheeler.

Edited by Atmos

I had never considered the option of shaft-drive on a bicycle, but there are few companies making them

Beixo

Dynamic

Runabout_Blue_lg.jpg

The Runabout 7 hybrid bicycle offers a perfect blend of comfort and performance for recreational riding and short commutes.

US $699

Sussex (components)

January, 2009 - Sussex Unveils New Road Bike Component Set for Shimano 8-speed Internal Gear Hubs.

Sussex today announced the immediate availability of its new Versa component set. Consisting of the Versa road shifter and two crankset options, the Versa components work specifically with the Shimano Alfine 8-speed and Nexus 8-speed hubs to bring out the best in performance and versatility from these internal hubs. Using the Versa components, bike companies can build the first ever internally geared road bicycles.

hub%20inside-out.jpg

I saw my first shaft-drive bicycle in Thailand only a couple of weeks ago. Intriguing. I wonder how they match up to more traditional chain drive bikes. I am wary of the hype provided on websites actually selling the product - tend to be somewhat biased or misleading.

^ imagine it's a cost thing that we don't see them on cheaper bikes; I spent a year in a small rural town and became Mr Fix-it for some of the kids' bikes; with a chain costing about eg a day's pay for their father they tended to keep riding 'to the death', cheap chains and gritty unsealed roads not a good mix - a single-speed shaft system would be good.

Don't know what life expectancy a shaft would have, and of course people always look at purchase price rather than whether the bike will still function in one, three or ten years time (or 80 years in the case of those old bike two posts back)