Visa Run To Mae Sai

Provided all the necessary papers from the thai motor department (translation of the plate, and export authorization), do I need any paper from Myanmar embassy to enter into Myanmar from Mae Sai with own car?

I originally planned to go to Malaysia (I'm in Phuket), but have problems with wife family in northern Thailand(Lom Sak), and have to go there probably.

I could also make the visa run to Nong Khai, but I understand I definitely need the Laotian embassy authorization and there's not enough time.

Going with public buses would be difficult for me, as I need a wheelchair.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Dear Mr. Buasaard,

First my compliments for your beautiful choosen name (referring to the science of being bored? Or lotus-connected?).

I wonder if you need to take your car into Burma for the Maesai visa-run.

In Tachilek (the name of the burmese part of town) is no Thai consulate. You just can get the in-and-out-and-in Thailand stamps in your passport.

The river is the border and you cross this border by (you probably guessed it already) a veritable bridge. The distance between the border posts is about seventy meters. Stamp-stamp-stamp at the Thai side, move on these seventy meters, stamp-stamp-stamp at the Burmese side, back the same seventy meters to the Thai side and stamp-stamp-stamp you can stay another one or three months. To take in the car costs a fortune, the wheeling chair ought to be free.

If you stop at the Immigration Office (ten meters after the first fly-over for pedestrians when entering Maesai, to the left, about two kilometer before the border), they might help you.

The Officers of the Immigration Office of Maesai are very correct and helpfull. If you would notice the brutal way they are approached by many foreigners, you would be surprised that they didn't become as rude and unpolite as American immigration officers seem to be born.

Have a nice trip, the province Chiangrai is beautiful.

Limbo.