Songkran & The Liquor Police

davidgtr

The issue is more about equal enforcement. Some places are forced to comply with the law, others not. If this was a Western country the law would have been enforced from the day of its passing with equanimity. Here it is enforced at the whim of the police.

I couldn't agree with you more............but TIT not a western country and everyone knows how unpredictable and unfair the BIB can be. That unpredictability and unfairness needs to be built into any farang owned bar business, because owners know in their heart that one day it'sgoing to be their turn, whether they are law abiding or not.

Edited by Tecumseh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enforcing the drink driving laws
Yep, equip a few mobile breathalyzer teams, have them rotate between strategic locations around the city and ensure sufficiently severe punishment for drivers who are truly boozed up. The best way for sure. Let the pedestrians drink in peace.

You can have a thousand breathalyser teams, but unless they they do their job instead of seeing it as an even bigger earner, given the nature of the offence, it won't work.

I think that they should ban booze all together over Songkran, no confrontations, less accidents, a much more enjoyable time would be had by all, alcohol is the root of all evil if you ask me :lol:

Victor Meldew

booze (alcohol) is just fluids. It does nothing by itself. It's the people who drink way too much of it and then drive. Actually, the root of all evil is probably ignorance.

I thought the root of all evil was money

You can have a thousand breathalyser teams, but unless they they do their job instead of seeing it as an even bigger earner, given the nature of the offence, it won't work.

Such is the beauty of living in thailand. A flexible attitude towards state laws by the citizens.

The issue is more about equal enforcement. Some places are forced to comply with the law, others not. If this was a Western country the law would have been enforced from the day of its passing with equanimity. Here it is enforced at the whim of the police. I'll wager these bars had no written advance warning that weren't to serve alcohol over Songkran, some big wig in the police just decided this was the way to enforce it.

In any event, the law is an ass - anyone who thinks that banning people from purchasing alcohol between 2 and 5 will reduce alcohol consumption or alcohol related accidents is living in cloud cuckoo land. People will find alcohol if they want it and preventing legitimate establishments from serving will not stop anyone friom drinking as much as they choose!

As has been suggested, enforcing the drink driving laws would help far more than stopping pubs around the moat from selling beer.

There is more to life than booze. If some of the expats got their noses out of their beer bottles they may find that there are other options in Chiang Mai.

I think that they should ban booze all together over Songkran, no confrontations, less accidents, a much more enjoyable time would be had by all, alcohol is the root of all evil if you ask me :lol:

Victor Meldew

booze (alcohol) is just fluids. It does nothing by itself. It's the people who drink way too much of it and then drive. Actually, the root of all evil is probably ignorance.

I thought the root of all evil was money

Or religion...

Victor Meldew

I agree 100% :)

I second that 100%

I'll drink to that.

Me too :partytime2:

The issue is more about equal enforcement. Some places are forced to comply with the law, others not. If this was a Western country the law would have been enforced from the day of its passing with equanimity. Here it is enforced at the whim of the police. I'll wager these bars had no written advance warning that weren't to serve alcohol over Songkran, some big wig in the police just decided this was the way to enforce it.

In any event, the law is an ass - anyone who thinks that banning people from purchasing alcohol between 2 and 5 will reduce alcohol consumption or alcohol related accidents is living in cloud cuckoo land. People will find alcohol if they want it and preventing legitimate establishments from serving will not stop anyone friom drinking as much as they choose!

As has been suggested, enforcing the drink driving laws would help far more than stopping pubs around the moat from selling beer.

There is more to life than booze. If some of the expats got their noses out of their beer bottles they may find that there are other options in Chiang Mai.

As your comment has no relationship to my post which you chose to highlight, I'm not sure why you made it. If you want to go on an anti booze tirade, that's your free choice, but as my post was about equal enforcement of the law and the futility of the current law as it impacts on peoples drinking habits, your post is completely irrelevant. Try to read posts more carefully before you switch on your anti-alcohol rhetoric.

Yes, on the moat. The owner of Somphet market even came down to enquire <deleted>; there were so many officials in the place.

This is really sick.

You pay pay taxes & run a legal business & the lovely officials come around & tell you not to serve your return customers of many years.

What did you do wrong? Nothing. There are scores of places on the footpath selling booze.

There's no doubt IMHO that the system in Los is now seriously sick & corrupt.

so he's above the law in that case? how can you say that he's running a legal business if he sells booze outside the allowed times? then it's not legal anymore.

or is this more about having special arrangements and then being sour when some official shuts it down?

you're calling the system corrupt when they are for once doing what they're supposed to be doing?

Funny how this thread developed....

Yes, on the moat. The owner of Somphet market even came down to enquire <deleted>; there were so many officials in the place.

This is really sick.

You pay pay taxes & run a legal business & the lovely officials come around & tell you not to serve your return customers of many years.

What did you do wrong? Nothing. There are scores of places on the footpath selling booze.

There's no doubt IMHO that the system in Los is now seriously sick & corrupt.

so he's above the law in that case? how can you say that he's running a legal business if he sells booze outside the allowed times? then it's not legal anymore.

or is this more about having special arrangements and then being sour when some official shuts it down?

you're calling the system corrupt when they are for once doing what they're supposed to be doing?

You guys are missing the point. It was selective enforcement. The guy has a very long established business, he pays rent & taxes, yet on one of his busiest 3-4 days of the year he cant sell liquor to his customers from 2-5PM.

Many of them were repeat customers from overseas, when told he could not sell them a drink they stormed off outside & bought from vendors on the roadside. Something wrong there guys.

He was told customers could bring their own & drink as much as they liked, but he could not sell anything.

The police were the municipal police. The head guy asked his wife to go outside & discuss the problem in his car - looking for a pay off. She refused & they got nothing.

For the anti-booze brigade IMHO the problem is the not the shopkeeper, but the consumer.

For those "It’s the law:; yes I know about the liquor law, & so does the owner he is a Cnx born & bred native. The law has been there for years & mainly ignored, but is selectively enforced when officials feel like it, or need money.

As I said in my last line: Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with the system nowadays for this to be happening? No one responded to this.

Happy New Year / Songkran guys.

i think you and especially the owner of that bar shouldnt have made any assumptions. it's thailand, everything is selective and there's nothing to do about it. we all know it happens, and we all know that cops show up anywhere there's money to be made. those road side shops dont have money to pay, and the cops know that. it would just be unnecessary paperwork if they were to go and shut them down. only when the boss tells them to will actually anything happen.

dont take this the wrong way, but..... there's something fundamentally wrong with thailand. period.

The only poeple I saw with alcohol on the moat banks (alcohol free area) were Thais - young Thai men carrying cans and bottles - these were not bought from bars, but from supermarkets, 7-11's and stall vendors/back of trucks. The length of Loi Kroh was on big water fight also because the bars there were allowed to be open., So, officially, what was the objective in this partial clamp down of hours and closing of bars along the moat? Whatever it was, it failed because there was much drink flowing and I only saw two cops (on the same bike) in the three days at the actually celebration site around Thaipae and main roads coming off. There were road checks stations along Hang Dong Road at night (each night), with about 20 cops of enough rank to be covered in scrambled egg (gold braid) and ribbons - however, I did not actually see them stopping anyone at all.

dont take this the wrong way, but..... there's something fundamentally wrong with thailand. period.

You can say that about every country on the planet.

The specific reference in this case however was the disconnect between 'laws' and 'enforcement'. Politicians seem to think that making laws makes a damned difference. It doesn't make a difference because enforcement is selective, and corrupt to the bone. So politicians are powerless, police fail to do their jobs and only focus on the money. The reason why the word 'fundamental' is appropriate is because the Powers that Be WANT it that way. (and a good number of the people also want it that way). "People are against corruption, except in those cases where it's a personal convenience."

DavidGTR: Good decision not to give into the mafia practise by police of extracting bribes. If the owner would have went along with it then he would have been able to sell that day, but forever be the target of more extortion schemes. It's very likely police will not bother again, and instead pick on an easier target. (Farang owned bar perhaps; they're easy.)

As I said in my last line: Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with the system nowadays for this to be happening? No one responded to this.

Because most people can only agree with you on that. As do I.

The flip side however is the much harder question of "Would I enjoy Thailand as much if there WASNT something fundamentally wrong with it." ;)

Well yesterday we saw the Real Booze Police arresting people for drinking along the moat. They had the Police Paddy Wagon along with what looked like 10 - 15 police in uniform arresting people for drinking. One old lady they arrested (Thai)... the police were bringing the evidence along... 3 cans of Leo and a Water Bucket.

Edited by vacationman

Well yesterday we saw the Real Booze Police arresting people for drinking along the moat. They had the Police Paddy Wagon along with what looked like 10 - 15 police in uniform arresting people for drinking. One old lady they arrested (Thai)... the police were bringing the evidence along... 3 cans of Leo and a Water Bucket.

3 cans of Leo AND a Water Bucket....................off with her head!!!

the best way to solve the problem would be ban song kran lol

not goin to happen i know but i can dream at least if they did ban it we would not be swamped in dirty smelly back packers

god i wish c/m was not so popular with scum like that

3 people sharing a large chang is not going to do much for the economy of c/m so no loose

the best way to solve the problem would be ban song kran lol

not goin to happen i know but i can dream at least if they did ban it we would not be swamped in dirty smelly back packers

3 people sharing a large chang is not going to do much for the economy of c/m so no loose

Must say , and agree, that you do have a right to your own opinion, but must add that it comes across as a 'holier-than-thou' type of opinion to me....

We were all young at one time and had very little money......goes for some of us at least, not born into any perceived level of aristocracy.

Actually, like most generalizations, this one misses the mark. Some of them are indeed scum, but the vast majority are perfectly alright.

Actually, like most generalizations, this one misses the mark. Some of them are indeed scum, but the vast majority are perfectly alright.

I know some very well dressed, affluent people, who are in fact scum