Pheu Thai: No Objections To Yingluck Nomination

webfact

its obviously important to the yellow posters that she 'only' went to a historically black university - quite telling and not surprising

The fact that she went to a 'historically black university' isn't the issue.

The issue is that she went to a university that was rated fairly low in a particular grouping. Where would it stand if it was rated against all US universities?

thank you for clarifying - then why mention 'black'? and should we hold this against her? all sounds very elitist from the yellow posters - I assume you all have degrees from Oxbridge or Ivy League as only the brightest are yellows right?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its obviously important to the yellow posters that she 'only' went to a historically black university - quite telling and not surprising

The issue is that she went to a university that was rated fairly low in a particular grouping. Where would it stand if it was rated against all US universities?

thank you for clarifying - then why mention 'black'? and should we hold this against her? all sounds very elitist from the yellow posters - I assume you all have degrees from Oxbridge or Ivy League as only the brightest are yellows right?

Black is mentioned because the university is a 'historically black university' and it rated at #32 in a list of 'historically black universities'. Being a 'historically black university' is not a bad thing.

Red posters like to highlight the academic achievements of the people they support, but is it really that impressive getting a Masters and MBA from a lowly ranked university? I thought it would be fairly common.

Black is mentioned because the university is a 'historically black university' and it rated at #32 in a list of 'historically black universities'. Being a 'historically black university' is not a bad thing.

Red posters like to highlight the academic achievements of the people they support, but is it really that impressive getting a Masters and MBA from a lowly ranked university? I thought it would be fairly common.

No I don't think it is common to have two Masters from a validated University. It is quite rare I would say and I have come across it only twice in my career (apart from me) - bachelors is common, masters less so, two masters rare I would say. But it seems important to yellows posters that she went to a historically 'black' university and this demeans her two degrees - smacking of racism? or at the least elitism.

Where would it stand if it was rated against all US universities?

It's not in the top 200 (According to the most widely used ranking in the US -- but such things are of course debatable). Nice job applying some logic and getting to the actual point.

thank you for clarifying - then why mention 'black'?

There's apparently no national ranking available. There is however a ranking of where it stands among historically black colleges -- that would matter to people who want to go to a "historically black college" (obviously those people would be primarily black but not exclusively). My guess is that's the only number the poster came up with. But that's my guess -- maybe there was some subliminal racism going there, who knows? Seems like you are working real hard at trying to find it though.

should we hold this against her?

That she went to a historically black educational institution? No right-thinking person would. That she went to a not very highly regarded university? Maybe.

No I don't think it is common to have two Masters from a validated University. It is quite rare I would say and I have come across it only twice in my career (apart from me) - bachelors is common, masters less so, two masters rare I would say. But it seems important to yellows posters that she went to a historically 'black' university and this demeans her two degrees - smacking of racism? or at the least elitism.

It seems important to red posters that she was educated at a US university. Being educated at a university that rates low in a subset of US universities isn't so "impressive".

The university is a "historically black university". The ranking amongst other "historically black universities" is the point that is trying to be made. Nothing racist about that. As I said, which you seemed to have missed, being a "historically black university" is not a bad thing.

I assume you all have degrees from Oxbridge or Ivy League as only the brightest are yellows right?

I hate to disappoint you, but ... wrong. I studied at the University of Technology in Delft, the Netherlands (Mathematics) I found out I'm not really in the same league as Albert Einstein. I didn't finish the third year, so not even a B.A. Does this mean I don't even qualify as a 'yellow' any longer ?

Edited by rubl

It seems important to red posters that she was educated at a US university. Being educated at a university that rates low in a subset of US universities isn't so "impressive".

The university is a "historically black university". The ranking amongst other "historically black universities" is the point that is trying to be made. Nothing racist about that. As I said, which you seemed to have missed, being a "historically black university" is not a bad thing.

My point is, which you seem to have missed, is that it is irrelevant whether it is a 'historically black university' or a 'historically white university' to define it as such introduces racism.

What you are effectively saying is she has inferior degrees BECAUSE she went to a 'historically black university' - otherwise why mention it? it's a typical yellow elitist thing to do

The reason I raised that she had two Masters degrees was not that they were US, UK or anywhere but they were from an established 'farangland' university not a Thai one. A poster introduced the 'black' thing as a 'put-down' of her degrees - pretty below the belt I would say.

But it seems important to yellows posters that she went to a historically 'black' university and this demeans her two degrees - smacking of racism? or at the least elitism.

See, that just you talking. Whybother has explained quite sensibly and no one has said that the history of the college or what category it was rated in diminishes it's value. What brings in to question (for some) is the relative worth of her 2 degrees is that she went to a far less than prestigious university by any measure.

Elitism? Maybe. If she had gone to a very impressive university, you can be da_n sure that would be trumpeted by her people -- would that be elitist? (If one gets a degree from Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge et al most would think that significant. Likewise if your degree is from the local vocational college that would be significant too. The only important thing? No. The most important thing? No. But part of a person's qualifications? Yes.)

I assume you all have degrees from Oxbridge or Ivy League as only the brightest are yellows right?

I hate to disappoint you, but ... wrong. I studied at the University of Technology in Delft, the Netherlands (Mathematics) I found out I'm not really in the same league as Albert Einstein. I didn't finish the third year, so not even a B.A. Does this mean I don't even qualify as a 'yellow' any longer ?

probably... laugh.gif

But it seems important to yellows posters that she went to a historically 'black' university and this demeans her two degrees - smacking of racism? or at the least elitism.

See, that just you talking. Whybother has explained quite sensibly and no one has said that the history of the college or what category it was rated in diminishes it's value. What brings in to question (for some) is the relative worth of her 2 degrees is that she went to a far less than prestigious university by any measure.

Elitism? Maybe. If she had gone to a very impressive university, you can be da_n sure that would be trumpeted by her people -- would that be elitist? (If one gets a degree from Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge et al most would think that significant. Likewise if your degree is from the local vocational college that would be significant too. The only important thing? No. The most important thing? No. But part of a person's qualifications? Yes.)

is it as bad as you say? and why are people wanting to decry her degrees? motivated by Goodwill? or Politics? go figure

KSU ranked 39th among Southern Colleges and Universities, according to the U.S. News and World Report's 2008 Best Colleges Edition. U.S. News divides institutions of higher education up into specific regions and evaluates each establishment on set criteria. When searching for the top school in academic quality, best value or reputable faculty, U.S. News looks to established points of evaluation, which include peer assessment, retention, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance, and alumni giving rate.

I imagine Kentucky State is a crap university and I would expect Kentucky University to be pretty shoddy as well.The best US universities (say the top 100) are among the best in the world.The rest are a mixed bunch, some downright dreadful.

Who cares what forum red posters (that unrepresentative body of blue collar foreigners) think about academic achievement any more than what forum foreign defenders - mostly blue collar as well - of the elite think (mostly ex warrant officers with submarine experience it seems).99% have come no nearer to an elite university than the truck drivers on the Oxford ring road, or a pizza delivery boy dropping off an Italian Spicy in Harvard Yard.

As a working class movement in a country which has yet to develop a meaningful university education system for most of its citizens, it's not surprising that the Red leadership on the whole lacks formal tertiary educational qualifications.The same was true of the British Labour Party before the working classes had reasonable access to university education.The ruling party here mainly the Democrats represent the middle and upper class, and not surprisingly are better educated - some like Abhisit and Korn with world class universities behind them.I'm a bit surprised there aren't more from top tier institutions.Perhaps there are:I don't really know.What I do know is that most Thai M.P's though graduates are of a fairly low calibre, mostly low grade US schools - though Kentucky State is probably towards the bottom of that rather unimpressive pile.

My point is, which you seem to have missed, is that it is irrelevant whether it is a 'historically black university' or a 'historically white university' to define it as such introduces racism.

What you are effectively saying is she has inferior degrees BECAUSE she went to a 'historically black university' - otherwise why mention it? it's a typical yellow elitist thing to do

The reason I raised that she had two Masters degrees was not that they were US, UK or anywhere but they were from an established 'farangland' university not a Thai one. A poster introduced the 'black' thing as a 'put-down' of her degrees - pretty below the belt I would say.

The university itself defines it as such. Tell them (the black administrators) they are racist. The most widely used ranking of US universities is done by the major news organization, US News and World Report; be sure to let them know they are racist too because they are the ones who ranked it in that category (as I said it doesn't make the overall 200.

What you are effectively saying is she has inferior degrees BECAUSE she went to a 'historically black university' - otherwise why mention it?

Oh, bull. You are deliberately twisting things now. It has been explained to you why it was mentioned. No one has said it's inferiror because if's historically black. If they are inferior it's because it ranks a mere #32 of a small subset. A subset which by its very nature is ot going to be the best because the best schools will be those that EVERYONE wants to go to and doesn't have to attract students who are looking for racial homogeneity. If a "historically black" college was amongst the very best in the country, you can be sure it would be touting it's rank among such and the historical aspect would soon be a footnote.

Personally, I'm sort of bothered that there is still a situation where black people voluntarily want to segregate themselves a bit and/or have racist attitudes themselves -- but that's another subject.

The university itself defines it as such. Tell them (the black administrators) they are racist. The most widely used ranking of US universities is done by the major news organization, US News and World Report; be sure to let them know they are racist too because they are the ones who ranked it in that category (as I said it doesn't make the overall 200.

What you are effectively saying is she has inferior degrees BECAUSE she went to a 'historically black university' - otherwise why mention it?

Oh, bull. You are deliberately twisting things now. It has been explained to you why it was mentioned. No one has said it's inferiror because if's historically black. If they are inferior it's because it ranks a mere #32 of a small subset. A subset which by its very nature is ot going to be the best because the best schools will be those that EVERYONE wants to go to and doesn't have to attract students who are looking for racial homogeneity. If a "historically black" college was amongst the very best in the country, you can be sure it would be touting it's rank among such and the historical aspect would soon be a footnote.

Personally, I'm sort of bothered that there is still a situation where black people voluntarily want to segregate themselves a bit and/or have racist attitudes themselves -- but that's another subject.

My point is that it does not matter... I only raised it as it was outside of Thailand - and just about the worst of those 'historically red indian or whatever Universities' are ten times better than most in Thailand! I thought it was impressive that she had studied outside of the coconut and achieved two Masters - which is rare! Give her some credit pleazzzze - she is not responsible for the 'sins' of her brother.

Yes Abhisit went to the best and got his bachelors (converted to Masters) and that is impressive as well - and of course it's 100 times better than KSU. That was not my point.

is it as bad as you say? and why are people wanting to decry her degrees? motivated by Goodwill? or Politics? go figure

KSU ranked 39th among Southern Colleges and Universities, according to the U.S. News and World Report's 2008 Best Colleges Edition. U.S. News divides institutions of higher education up into specific regions and evaluates each establishment on set criteria. When searching for the top school in academic quality, best value or reputable faculty, U.S. News looks to established points of evaluation, which include peer assessment, retention, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance, and alumni giving rate.

How bad did I say it was? Less than prestigious. It's currently #49 in the South Is that prestigious? Well, #1 in that category is the famous "Ouachita Baptist University". Have you ever heard of it? I'm American and I know I haven't.

As to why people are talking about it's apparently less than impressive pedigree, as I've said -- it's one of the things people can boast about when they have an impressive degree -- and you know full well we'd be hearing it about from you and any other supported if she had a degree from MIT, so why can't people comment about it if they don't?

probably... laugh.gif

English terms, ridiculous. The B.A. should have been B.S. of course :ermm:

PS where can I apply for my complementary 'red shirt'?

Edited by rubl

Wow, you are quite dodger and weaver, aren't you?

I only raised it as it was outside of Thailand - and just about the worst of those 'historically red indian or whatever Universities' are ten times better than most in Thailand! I thought it was impressive that she had studied outside of the coconut

So now who's being racist and elitist? Prince of Songkla University is #324 in the world by some accounts. Chulalongkorn is #418. Two more among the top 500. Eight more are among the top 1000. (Dependig on how well you trust such rankings).

KSU is not among the top 1000 as far as I know. Is it ten times better than any Thai university? Are you sure? Perhaps in some significant ways it is for a Thai student, but it's not quite that simple.

And you can't have it both ways -- you point out her graduation from that university as in her favor but then complain that people talk about the quality of the university? Can you spell hypocrisy? familiar with intellectual honesty?

I didn't miss that. I clearly pointed it out. It isn't that it is a 'historically black university'. It's about the ranking.

If I look for the ranking in the list of "historically white universities", I won't find it, so it's pointless looking at that list. What we are looking at is the ranking in a particular list.

You've found a different list. In that subset, the university is #39. We can refer to that list if you feel the other list is too racist for you. As SteelJoe pointed out, you might like to point that out to the university and the people who do the rankings.

I only raised it as it was outside of Thailand - and just about the worst of those 'historically red indian or whatever Universities' are ten times better than most in Thailand! I thought it was impressive that she had studied outside of the coconut

So now who's being racist and elitist? Prince of Songkla University is #324 in the world by some accounts. Chulalongkorn is #418. Two more among the top 500. Eight more are among the top 1000. (Dependig on how well you trust such rankings).

KSU is not among the top 1000 as far as I know. Is it ten times better than any Thai university? Are you sure? Perhaps in some significant ways it is for a Thai student, but it's not quite that simple.

And you can't have it both ways -- you point out her graduation from that university as in her favor but then complain that people talk about the quality of the university? Can you spell hypocrisy? familiar with intellectual honesty?

did you actually READ my post? where did I say 'better than any Thai university'??? then you say 'Can you spell hypocrisy? familiar with intellectual honesty?' would you do me the courtesy of not twisting and mis-quoting? I'd be grateful... I said 'better than most in Thailand' an apology for the misquote would show your 'intellectual honesty' but I doubt you will be humble enough to give one.

<snip>

she is not responsible for the 'sins' of her brother.

<snip>

If she becomes PM she will be.

She has no chance of that - and I'm not even saying it would be a good thing - I have no idea of her character or experience or suitability but I hate it when people pounce on someone and start kicking without knowing those things too!

did you actually READ my post? where did I say 'better than any Thai university'??? then you say 'Can you spell hypocrisy? familiar with intellectual honesty?' would you do me the courtesy of not twisting and mis-quoting? I'd be grateful... I said 'better than most in Thailand' an apology for the misquote would show your 'intellectual honesty' but I doubt you will be humble enough to give one.

Well, I wonder why you would doubt that given that you know absolutely nothing about me. It happens that on the other board that I used to post on I had a reputation for that very thing -- being as objective as possible and always admitting when I was wrong. Now you wouldn't know that, of course but given that you don't know anything about me why do you cast such an aspersion?

Ad hominem much?

In spite of the fact that this has gotten a bit acrimonious I do sincerely and unconditionally apologize. it was an honest mistake -- I may be a lot of things but I'm not so stupid as to quote someone and then deliberately say they said something else. Now let me try again...

Yes Abhisit went to the best and got his bachelors (converted to Masters) and that is impressive as well

I wonder whether you are aware of what converting to a Masters means in an Oxford context? Precisely nothing - wait a few years and pay a small fee.

She has no chance of that - and I'm not even saying it would be a good thing - I have no idea of her character or experience or suitability but I hate it when people pounce on someone and start kicking without knowing those things too!

You don't think she will be the PTP PM candidate, or you don't the PTP will get into government with her as the PM candidate?

Well, I wonder why you would doubt that given that you know absolutely nothing about me. It happens that on the other board that I used to post on I had a reputation for that very thing -- being as objective as possible and always admitting when I was wrong. Now you wouldn't know that, of course but given that you don't know anything about me why do you cast such an aspersion?

Ad hominem much?

In spite of the fact that this has gotten a bit acrimonious I do sincerely and unconditionally apologize. it was an honest mistake -- I may be a lot of things but I'm not so stupid as to quote someone and then deliberately say they said something else. Now let me try again...

Thank you - it is appreciated very much - and very rare - apologies if I presumed you would not do so as I am tainted by experience - good for you! I would do the same if vice versa

My point is that it does not matter... I only raised it as it was outside of Thailand - and just about the worst of those 'historically red indian or whatever Universities' are ten times better than most in Thailand! I thought it was impressive that she had studied outside of the coconut and achieved two Masters - which is rare! Give her some credit pleazzzze - she is not responsible for the 'sins' of her brother.

Yes Abhisit went to the best and got his bachelors (converted to Masters) and that is impressive as well - and of course it's 100 times better than KSU. That was not my point.

KSU is not among the top 1000 as far as I know. Is it ten times better than most Thai universities? Are you sure? Perhaps in some significant ways it is for a Thai student, but it's not quite that simple.

Now that I've corrected my error and apologized for it (which believe it or not I would have done anyway, as soon as I saw it), perhaps you can actually reply to several points in this and other posts. Or not.

You don't think she will be the PTP PM candidate, or you don't the PTP will get into government with her as the PM candidate?

PTP won't get in - all the others will collude and sell their souls and seats to ensure it - and the badwill and troubles will continue unfortunately huh.gif

KSU is not among the top 1000 as far as I know. Is it ten times better than most Thai universities? Are you sure? Perhaps in some significant ways it is for a Thai student, but it's not quite that simple.

Now that I've corrected my error and apologized for it (which believe it or not I would have done anyway, as soon as I saw it), perhaps you can actually reply to several points in this and other posts. Or not.

yes I believe it would be ten times better than most Thai Universities (apart from the excellent ones at the top of the pile you mention and maybe some others) - I have been VERY unimpressed when chatting to Thais (who have a degrees) about their knowledge - and I won't even mention the corruption etc. So, yes, I think if I asked many Thai graduates about WW2 or about other 'big' subjects they would have little or no knowledge - I would hope KSU might fare better! Most rich Thais send their kids outside Thailand for education - and that's about it.

Now can we get back to the thread please? my intention in raising it I have outlined - she has TWO masters degrees - I believe that is impressive and good for her. Let's move on?

PTP won't get in - all the others will collude and sell their souls and seats to ensure it - and the badwill and troubles will continue unfortunately huh.gif

So, there'll be no collusion and selling of souls to the PTP?

The troubles will continue either way. If PTP get in, the yellows will come out in force as soon as the PTP start trying to change laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes. If the Democrats get in, the reds will complain that the others colluded and sold their souls to form government with the Democrats.

I suppose that all the Thaksin and red shirt supporters could vote for PTP. If they vote for someone else who then joins with the Democrats, they can't complain, can they?