Songkran Etiquette, Ethics

podgey

Whilst playing songkran last year, my wife told me there are rules to this game. I was told not to shoot water at the face or tits(i blame strong instincts). Has anyone else heard of these so called songkran party fouls or is my missus just giving me a tune up?

Edited by podgey

Hmmmm I've been water-boarded for the last 6 hours. Straight. I just saw a 8 yr old boy " pant's" and soaked by everyone.

Trust me. There are no rules.

Yep, the rules have long been exceeded to whatever they make-up for the moment.

There are some general rules....unfortunately common sense makes sure that you generally avoid bad situations......Thais and drunks do not have much common sense so rules go out the window quick.

Face is a no no...but with a water cannon that moves all over the place...sometimes it is unavoidable......tits....nah......she is just making sure you are not looking at such targets for to long.

There are some general rules....unfortunately common sense makes sure that you generally avoid bad situations......Thais and drunks do not have much common sense so rules go out the window quick.

Face is a no no...but with a water cannon that moves all over the place...sometimes it is unavoidable......tits....nah......she is just making sure you are not looking at such targets for to long.

So...you're suggesting the your all-purpose common sense is a Farang "standard"?

Some Thai girls have told me in the past that they avoid going out in Songkran now due to groups of Thai guys deciding it's ok to grope the gals as part of the 'celebration'...

It has long been a groper's paradise - and I don't mean in Pattaya. One-sided, I am told.

Some Thai girls have told me in the past that they avoid going out in Songkran now due to groups of Thai guys deciding it's ok to grope the gals as part of the 'celebration'...

Its not the thai guys, the thai women know it is fine and most of the young one taking part of the festival are asking for it and wearing tight white shirts.

The only rules are common sense.. If someone is old/with infant try to avoid them but otherwise just go for it.. when its your turn to be in their spot nobody stops just go ahead and enjoy yourself.. i used to hate songkran untill i joined the water throwing crowd and used my car.

Cellphone users on the motorbike are the #1 target, teach them a lesson, try to break their phones with a big smile

No helmet are #2 target especially if they wave to avoid getting wet. Next time they can wear a helmet for water protection.

Whilst playing songkran last year, my wife told me there are rules to this game. I was told not to shoot water at the face or tits(i blame strong instincts). Has anyone else heard of these so called songkran party fouls or is my missus just giving me a tune up?

unbelievable - did you really think you can squirt water on the tits of Thai women ?

Tonight on the TAN TV channel they explained what Songkrang meant to the Thais. Anyone else see it? I didn't catch all of it. But it is their new year and start of the growing season. Spoken by the Governor of Bangkok, he explained the ritual they perform or what they normally do. Cleansing Bhuda with water in the morning and then throwing water on their parents and relative houses for good luck. Then it was nothing more than a big happy water fight. But that they seriously frown on throwing white powder in the face (it should be applied by hand), squirting people in the face with water (aim lower), women wearing revealing clothing (heaven forbid for what we might see), and the latest fad of grouping women. All four of these have steadily increased in activity over the years. Some more than others.

So yes there is a certain amount of "etiquette" involved. It's a fun holiday but unfortunately spoiled on occasion by a bunch of routy drunks and people not familiar with the customs. If that describes you, what more can be said? And when a few Thais get upset at with the way they are being treated (which I have seen in the past) I just hope they beat the crap out of you and send you home with your tail between your legs. Just don't come back here whining about it and telling everyone how wrong the Thais were. (not that that's happen here before)

Happy Songkran!!

Tonight on the TAN TV channel they explained what Songkrang meant to the Thais. Anyone else see it? I didn't catch all of it. But it is their new year and start of the growing season. Spoken by the Governor of Bangkok, he explained the ritual they perform or what they normally do. Cleansing Bhuda with water in the morning and then throwing water on their parents and relative houses for good luck. Then it was nothing more than a big happy water fight. But that they seriously frown on throwing white powder in the face (it should be applied by hand), squirting people in the face with water (aim lower), women wearing revealing clothing (heaven forbid for what we might see), and the latest fad of grouping women. All four of these have steadily increased in activity over the years. Some more than others.

So yes there is a certain amount of "etiquette" involved. It's a fun holiday but unfortunately spoiled on occasion by a bunch of routy drunks and people not familiar with the customs. If that describes you, what more can be said? And when a few Thais get upset at with the way they are being treated (which I have seen in the past) I just hope they beat the crap out of you and send you home with your tail between your legs. Just don't come back here whining about it and telling everyone how wrong the Thais were. (not that that's happen here before)

Happy Songkran!!

True, but crowded festivities have ALWAYS been a cover for the perverted thugs to molest other people and try to destroy what COULD be a lot of fun. It's not just typical of Thailand. Some normally mild mannered Canadians turn into Thugs when there is a party. Canada has had numerous riots after hockey playoff games. The idiots ruin it for everyone. Cars get over turned, store windows smashed and people assaulted. Then, the police come out and have their turn at assulting people with tear gas and clubs. It could be stopped if there were "SPOTTERS" who grabbed the thugs BEFORE it turned into a riot, but that's not how police like to do their job.

Its not the thai guys, the thai women know it is fine and most of the young one taking part of the festival are asking for it and wearing tight white shirts.

Wow the women are asking to be groped? NO, that is never fine, and no one is asking for it. I imagine a lot of people are glad that you're 'notbritish', I hope you're notamerican too.

Cellphone users on the motorbike are the #1 target, teach them a lesson, try to break their phones with a big smile

No helmet are #2 target especially if they wave to avoid getting wet. Next time they can wear a helmet for water protection.

Good idea, teach them a lesson by trying to cause an accident :rolleyes:

The only rules are common sense.. If someone is old/with infant try to avoid them but otherwise just go for it.. when its your turn to be in their spot nobody stops just go ahead and enjoy yourself.. i used to hate songkran untill i joined the water throwing crowd and used my car.

Was going to say the exact same thing!

Full party day ahead today, enjoy!! :lol:

I think notbritish meant they were asking to be shot in the tits by wearing tight white tops... not asking to be groped...

I know lots of girls who won't go to Khao San because of the groping... which might indicate it isn't/isn't only the Thai guys doing the gropping...

My favourite is to shoot the girl just above the top of her pants, square in the centre of the back, knowing the water will run down her arse crack and fill her pants :D ...

I wouldn't normaly aim for the face, 'cause I like to get those big MF water cannon guns, and fear they would take an eye out...

And keep your thumb in the neck of your beer bottle, to stop yourself drinking dirty klong water...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Was watching the kids yesterday next door and they kept waiting for the wife and I too step out the back door, so, we did and after the laughter and smiles we broke out the guns and the fight was on had a great time and a couple of cold ones with the parents after the fun.........

I know lots of girls who won't go to Khao San because of the groping... which might indicate it isn't/isn't only the Thai guys doing the gropping...

I wouldn't normaly aim for the face, 'cause I like to get those big MF water cannon guns, and fear they would take an eye out...

My girlfriend, for one, will not go to Khao San because of the likelihood of being groped.

The idiots that think it's ok to wipe out motorcyclists should have witnessed the young girl riding her motorcycle who fell off her bike near Udon Thani after being squirted with water and was wiped out by a following truck.

Songkran is not top of my favourite things in Thailand, that said I believe that cordoned off streets are ok with anybody there being aware of what was going on and considered "fair game". With that in mind we went to Soi Cowboy yesterday and it was very enjoyable, everyone was participating and enjoying themselves. Yes there were water cannon guns in abundance but they were being used responsibly by Thai and foreigners alike, I only witnessed one idiot, a young Indian guy who was throwing buckets of water in the face of a number of people with as much force as he could muster, people were clearly showing signs of discomfort, he was asked to calm down but he didn't give a <deleted>, total a-hole.

This has to be the most retarded post I've ever read, I wont even bother picking it apart because each and every sentence was so full of retard that it would be pointless.

the latest fad of grouping women.

... into gropable or ungropable?

The family has gathered for the ritual bathing later today of the senior couple, my in-laws.

I shall be respectfully participating.

Over and out.

Good news---------> Traffic incidents down so far.

I live in a small town. This is BIG FUN for old and young alike.

Happy New Year!

'nuff said

ps... one of the grannies said there has always been some bad boys who touch the girls T and/or A, and she's almost 80!

~