EU calls sanctions on Iranian officials over rights abuses

News_Editor

EU calls sanctions on Iranian officials over rights abuses

2011-04-14 02:17:46 GMT+7 (ICT)

TEHRAN, IRAN (BNO NEWS) -- The European Union imposed a new round of sanctions against 32 Iranian officials, accusing them of human rights abuses, Press TV reported Wednesday.

The measures, which include assets freezes and travel bans, were adopted at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Luxembourg on Tuesday. British Foreign Secretary William Hague claimed on the sidelines of the meeting that the EU wanted to hit back at the "appalling human rights record of Iran."

The 27-nation bloc "is agreeing today restrictive measures on 32 individuals in Iran we believe are responsible and instrumental in these policies," Hague added.

The names of the 32 individuals have not been made public.

Iranian officials dismissed the measures, claiming they were part of a political publicity campaign against the Islamic Republic and part of an effort to pressure Iran into giving up its rights to continue with its civilian nuclear program. They also insisted that sanctions previously adopted have been proven futile, as the country's economy and nuclear program remain on track.

In March, the United Nations Human Rights Council approved a resolution, which was introduced by the U.S. and Sweden, for the appointment of a special human rights rapporteur for Iran. The motion received 22 votes in favor, seven against, and 14 abstentions.

The Islamic Republic denounced the act as a political move meant to divert attention from human rights abuses committed by the United States.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-14

Ha ha ha, He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Wasn't it only the other day that Iran was moaning about the government of Bahrain's human rights abuses? Of course Iran is right up there with the world's most noxious regimes so any sanctions against them can't come quick enough.

The use and abuse of this new buzzword“human rights” must come to an end asap!

It used to be “freedom”,”democracy” but since we all, well most of us anyway, have seen thruthem they don't work anymore. We don't live in free democraticnations. Not even we in the west. Governments do as they please andonly ask for our opinion when they are certain they will receive the“correct” answer.

And now we have this new “humanrights” thing, as if it is a law of nature like gravity or somestone tablets handed down to us from a power above.

What is it?

I think it is safe to say; it dependson who you ask and/or where you live.

tiger

The use and abuse of this new buzzword"human rights" must come to an end asap!

It used to be "freedom","democracy" but since we all, well most of us anyway, have seen thruthem they don't work anymore. We don't live in free democraticnations. Not even we in the west. Governments do as they please andonly ask for our opinion when they are certain they will receive the"correct" answer.

And now we have this new "humanrights" thing, as if it is a law of nature like gravity or somestone tablets handed down to us from a power above.

What is it?

I think it is safe to say; it dependson who you ask and/or where you live.

tiger

I can understand why western governments would not put too much emphasis on some opinions. I know that when I am consulted by my government, my views are taken into consideration, as are the views of millions of my countryfolk. Perhaps, it is because we do not espouse extreme views that rely on tired political sloganeering. In functioning democracies, one usually gets the government one merits.

Edited by geriatrickid