Current Cup Rubber Prices Vs Mat Prices

Is anyone else finding these prices a bit illogical, usually been working on cup being half the price of mats.

Current cup rubber price up here is (Bueng Kan) has hit 110 kl with mats stuck at 165. Anyone else finding similar prices ?

Tothemark, think it may just be competion from buyers. If you sell to a local middle man he will pay as little as possible. Have 2,3 or 4 buyers all trying to get rubber the price rises. Always best to sell to the Government if you are not sure of the prices. Jim

Maybe someone can advise me.

When a price of say 110 baht per Kg is quoted for cup rubber, that must surely be for the DRC?

If so, then how is that assessed? I imagine that it can not can be a simple thing to either calculate or guess.

Clive

When a price of say 110 baht per Kg is quoted for cup rubber, that must surely be for the DRC?

If so, then how is that assessed? I imagine that it can not can be a simple thing to either calculate or guess.

Clive

Afraid that ir is just a educated guess, we buy cup and just look at how wet it looks and knock of 10, 15, 20 or 30 percent of the weight as water. better to do sheet, but even with sun dried sheet an amount will be deducted for water content. Jim

Hello.

its good to know the price is going up, we have 8 ries of trees near khon kaen, almost about 6 years old and due to not looking after it well for the first 4 years we are looking to start cutting in about a year,

can you guys give me some tips on how to maximize production, and income from this, could this give me a good life there in thailand, as in financially,

i am currently in the uk,

me and the missus know almost zero :whistling: about rubber, anything about growing, extracting, preparing storing selling, etc.. could be good, any websites, links, tutorials, advice from corrent farmers, or maybe some contact from a current falang grower, that i can visit on my next trip there could be fantastic.

many thanks in advance,

Clive

Afraid that ir is just a educated guess, we buy cup and just look at how wet it looks and knock of 10, 15, 20 or 30 percent of the weight as water. better to do sheet, but even with sun dried sheet an amount will be deducted for water content. Jim

Hello.

its good to know the price is going up, we have 8 ries of trees near khon kaen, almost about 6 years old and due to not looking after it well for the first 4 years we are looking to start cutting in about a year,

can you guys give me some tips on how to maximize production, and income from this, could this give me a good life there in thailand, as in financially,

i am currently in the uk,

me and the missus know almost zero :whistling: about rubber, anything about growing, extracting, preparing storing selling, etc.. could be good, any websites, links, tutorials, advice from corrent farmers, or maybe some contact from a current falang grower, that i can visit on my next trip there could be fantastic.

many thanks in advance,

I am just getting into this myself and trying to learn the ropes so take what I say with a grain of salt but.......

8 rai wont be near enough for you to live off unless you figure you will cut the trees yourself (which you are not legally allowed to do). Even then it would be a meager existence

Tothemark, think it may just be competion from buyers. If you sell to a local middle man he will pay as little as possible. Have 2,3 or 4 buyers all trying to get rubber the price rises. Always best to sell to the Government if you are not sure of the prices. Jim

Jim,

Cup rubber is now 105 bht per kg. Mats 165

That's the local market price, it may well be competition after Songkran in that not so many people cut rubber during the festivities, leaving a shortage of cup as opposed to mats. This may even up slightly (to become 50% of the mat price as normal) as the weeks go on. But at the current cup to mat price it becomes questionable as to when to restart mat production as opposed to just doing cup, IMO.

In my neck of the woods, the rainfall plays a major part in the mat making decision.

Price of sheet is posted daily on www.rubberthai.com Thats the whole sale auction price. The middle men buy then transport to a factory or where ever they can get a better price. Now if RSS is getting 165 Baht a kilo I will buy liquid latex [ rubber content not water wieght] at 130 Baht about. If you can get the latex to me I am more than happy to buy and if I make money that way others must do the same, look around and find the deals. Many Thais only have a motorbike and have to take what they are offered locally. I can't convince most of them that I pay more, as soon as I mention % content they think trick and go back to selling cup. Jim

Many of the Thai farmer do not understand the fertilizer % they purchase much less water content of crops. Possibly explain and relate it to the rice they give to mill and what they get back. It sounds like the tapper understand working on %, or do they measure out volumes?

We had some growers want to rent a 10 rai plot one year, they would not talk about giving a % of crop for rent, but knew only cash payment. Finally got thru to them we wanted 1/3 of the harvested crop or no deal. When we talked 2 buckets for them and 1 for us, they finally understood.

Sorry James I forgot the location info had gone. I'm in Ranong, officially the wettest province in Thailand. Most folk round here will go out and gather the wet latex in at the mere threat of rain, and will turn it into mats, even it's only for 5 mats. We have 25 Rai, and people with much smaller plots than us, go through the mat making process.

James, I have not finished setting up the 'shed' to produce sheets. Aiming for later this year to make the move and begin.

My dear wife will be the "interface" person and I've told her she will need to seek out, talk with, and

be able to buy raw liquid on a regular basis from a few dozen farms throughout the area. I am hoping to have some

locals bring their liquid to the 'shed' and have wife make the daily rounds via pickup truck to collect from others.

But I suspect your comment about farmers not understanding percentages, water content ratio, DRC is going to be my

biggest problem also. Or in other words, how to deal with the stoooopid factor.

Last visit to the area I saw a couple pickups with collection tanks in the beds making a deliver to the local factory so I'm sure

some farmers are selling liquid, but they were few trucks compared to the number of trucks with stinky half softballs.

Might have to devise a flyer with pictures explaining water percentages. Think that might work?

Also, I saw an advert (http://www.sti-inter.com/product_detail.asp?pid=45) for a creping machine which I think

is used to process the stinky softballs into crepe sheets. The company rep told me this process requires further

and significantly expensive machines downline so don't bother with it.

However, 2 days before we were scheduled to leave I heard there was a processor selling creped sheets to (I don't know

who). Do you know anything about this process ?

thks

glennb6