K-3 Marriage Visa Problem

Ok, I have been looking all over the internet and forums trying to find the answers I have. I flew to Thailand with no Visa. The lady at the airport made me sign a piece of paper before I went to Thailand. They almost didn't let me go. In Thailand me and my fiance went to get married. We did the paperwork and swear to them that I was single. Then we paid 13,000 baht to a company nearby. They took us thru all the paperwork and embassy things. They got us married within 2 hours with legal marriage certificates. I am now working in Mahasarakham with a 1 year non-B visa. I came to Thailand with only 100,000 baht. I paid 50,000 baht to get my TEFL certificate. Somehow I'm still here in Thailand with my wife. My question is... did I do anything wrong in the marriage process? We plan to move to America in 5 years. What does my Thai wife need to do to prepare to move to America? She does not work right now. She has started a business on the internet and hopes to make 30,000 baht or more exporting Thai goods to other countries. I hear that you need a visa to get married in Thailand. Am I just lucky that I'm here and got past all those laws? or am I here legally? Thanks.

Edited by kamakashi

Acutaly... if the embassy and umphur let us get married with a 30 day visa... then I'm sure everything is fine. Right now I'm working for a goverment school teaching english and I have a 1 year non-B visa. I would like to know what we need to do to prepare to move to America in 5 years.

Acutaly... if the embassy and umphur let us get married with a 30 day visa... then I'm sure everything is fine. Right now I'm working for a goverment school teaching english and I have a 1 year non-B visa. I would like to know what we need to do to prepare to move to America in 5 years.

Am I to assume that you have a one-year extension of stay from immigration and a work permit issued by the labor office.

Please stick to the topic.

The OP is asking about preparations for moving to the USA and his wife's visa application in 5 years time (forward planning never hurts, but bear in mind that 5 years is a long time and visa rules, requirements etc. may change).

Questions about his visa and status in Thailand are irrelevant to this topic.

Thanks 7by7, That is the only question I have. What do we need to do to prepare ourselves to move to America. We plan to move in 5 years, but we might move earlier if we feel the need to do so. We want to be prepared now just in case we decide to move between 2-5 years. I want to know what my wife needs to do. My mom has work for her in America. I have everything ready for my wife in America. Thanks :D

Thanks 7by7, That is the only question I have. What do we need to do to prepare ourselves to move to America. We plan to move in 5 years, but we might move earlier if we feel the need to do so. We want to be prepared now just in case we decide to move between 2-5 years. I want to know what my wife needs to do. My mom has work for her in America. I have everything ready for my wife in America. Thanks :D

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

Visas

General Information

All persons who plan to travel to the United States to establish permanent residency must obtain an immigrant visa prior to entering the U.S. In general, in order to be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or LPR relative(s) or by a prospective employer.

Please consult the menu on the left-hand side of this page for more information about immigrant visas. Comprehensive information about immigrant visas can be found on the Department of State's travel website.

Days and Hours of Operation

The Immigrant Visa Unit is open between 7:00am-4:00pm Mondays–Fridays by appointment only. The Immigrant Visa Unit interviews immigrant visa applicants in Bangkok once their approved petitions have arrived from the National Visa Center and the Packet 3 has been returned to the Embassy. Immigrant Visa interviews in Bangkok are by appointment only. Please see the Immigrant Visa Process section for more about the interview process.

How to Apply

You cannot begin an application for an immigrant visa at U.S. Embassy Bangkok. The process for all immigrant visas, other than the Diversity Visa Lottery process, begins with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in the U.S. or, in limited cases when the petitioner resides in Thailand, with the DHS office in Bangkok. The family member or employer in the U.S. must begin the process by filing an I-130 petition or I-129F fiancée petition with the DHS office with jurisdiction over their place of residence. More visa information for immigrants is available on the Department of State's travel website.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/immigrant-visa-process.html

IMMIGRANT VISA

Immigrant Visa Process

Here are the three important steps to the Immigrant Visa Process:

1. THE FIRST STEP - THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

The process of applying for all categories of immigrant visas begins with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In most cases, this consists of filing a petition with the USCIS office having jurisdiction over the petitioner's place of residence in the United States. The petitioner should contact the appropriate USCIS office using the Government Pages of the local telephone directory or by going to the USCIS website. If the petitioner resides in the United States, the processing time varies depending on the service center where the petition is pending. In a limited number of cases, if the petitioner can demonstrate current residence in Thailand for at least six months, the petition may be filed with the USCIS office in Bangkok. The general inquiry email box for USCIS Bangkok is [email protected]. To access USCIS forms, click here

2. THE SECOND STEP – THE NATIONAL VISA CENTER

Once USCIS has approved a petition, the petition will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC). All petitions are administratively processed at the NVC.

Immigrant Visas:

The NVC is responsible for the collection of immigrant visa application fees and immigrant visa application documentation. When an applicant's priority date is close to being current, the NVC will contact the applicant and petitioner with instructions for submitting the appropriate processing fees. Please refer to the Department of State’s Visa Bulletin to check current priority dates. After the appropriate processing fees are paid, the NVC will again contact the applicant and petitioner to request that the necessary immigrant visa documentation be submitted to the NVC. NVC retains immigrant visa cases until they are ready for adjudication by a consular officer abroad. Once cases are documentarily qualified, NVC schedule interview appointments, notify applicants the appointment dates and forward the processed petitions to the embassy specified on the petition.

3. THE THIRD STEP – THE EMBASSY CONSULAR SECTION

The Consular Section in Bangkok receives the approved petition from the NVC, and Consular Officer interviews visa applicants and adjudicates visa applications.

Immigrant Visas:

Immigrant visa applicants follow the appointment instruction packages received from NVC and bring necessary documentation to the visa interview at the date and time scheduled by NVC.

Visa Interview

Once your interview has been scheduled, arrive at the Embassy at your appointed time. Bring complete and organized documentation. An embassy employee will review your documents and prepare your file for the interview with the consular officer. Screening time averages 1-3 hours. Incomplete and unorganized documents can delay the process. When your case file has been fully screened, a Consular Officer will call you to the window for an interview. You should plan to spend the morning at the embassy for this process. If your case is approved, the visa will usually be issued for pickup in 2-3 business days. At this time we cannot return passports by mail.

Applicants requiring additional administrative processing after the interview may experience delays (from several weeks to several months). We will inform applicants when this processing applies.

If you are found ineligible, the consular officer will advise you if the law provides for a waiver of your ineligibility.

Tips for avoiding delays:

File the petition as early as possible.

Ensure all of your biographical data is accurate and complete.

Collect documents in a timely manner.

Respond immediately to additional document requests.

I am in the process of doing the I-130 for my wife to move to Nevada with me. In addition to the marriage certificate, we just need to get documentations required to proof the "bona fides" marriage (cohabitation and co-mingling of financial resources). In addition, we did the G-325A (Biographic Information) and the I-864 (Affidavit of Support). The I-864 requires me to submit the most recent federal income tax return (2010). You may wish to take a look at the I-864 now because of the income requirements (poverty guidelines) to immigrate to the US.

I will post my results here.

Thank you all for the reply's. We will get started on the I-130. Also my wife is pregnant we will have our first baby in August. Do I need to do anything to make sure our baby gets dual citizenship? I'm sure I have to do another form with the I-130 since we will have a baby. I'm sure that within 5 years we might have 3 kids by then. :-D

... the further adventures of K. Kamakashi ... looks like the next episode starts here:

I-130

:-D Dreams do come true. Just go and do it! We also teach English at home and make 15,000-20,000 baht a month. It's amazing and we plan to retire in Thailand when we are older.

Yes -- and if you are very visibly teaching English in your home without a work permit separate from your school work permit and someone decides to drop the dime on you those dreams could all end rather abruptly.

Yes -- and if you are very visibly teaching English in your home without a work permit separate from your school work permit and someone decides to drop the dime on you those dreams could all end rather abruptly.

My wife teaches the class. I'm just a helper since I can't speak Thai. They pay my wife for the work. I know I need a work permit if I teach the class by myself. At least I can tutor for free. " Hey jazzbo... I thought about what you said. I was wrong... I guess that means I can't be anywhere in the room watching my wife teach the kids English. I will get the work permit then and play it safe. thanks"

Edited by kamakashi

Thank you all for the reply's. We will get started on the I-130. Also my wife is pregnant we will have our first baby in August. Do I need to do anything to make sure our baby gets dual citizenship? I'm sure I have to do another form with the I-130 since we will have a baby. I'm sure that within 5 years we might have 3 kids by then. :-D

Go to the U.S. Embassy's Bangkok website. It's all explained there.

I also want to get married. Who was the company that you paid 13000bht to, to make things easier and quicker for you. Please let me know.

Can anyone tell me if there are marriage agents in Bangkok that can get get all of your marriage paperwork fixed up qickly for a price, similar to the "any" visa agents in Pattaya.

I also want to get married. Who was the company that you paid 13000bht to, to make things easier and quicker for you. Please let me know.

Can anyone tell me if there are marriage agents in Bangkok that can get get all of your marriage paperwork fixed up qickly for a price, similar to the "any" visa agents in Pattaya.

My wife and I were married in Bangkok in 2006. We followed the instructions on the US Embassy website, and it was fairly easy.

http://bangkok.usemb...e/marriage.html

First, we went to the embassy and signed/notarized the affadavit. After that, left the embassy and went across the street to AC Service Limited in the Kian Gwan building (next to the Sindhorn building) - listed on the embassy website (http://bangkok.usemb...otographers.pdf). Several individuals approached us as we exited the embassy wanting to help us for anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 THB. We declined since we had plenty of time to do it ourselves if we had to. ACS translated the necessary documents (around 100 to 150 thb per page). They offered to take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and get the necessary stamp for an additional 1,500 THB (and we went back the next day to pick it up at ACS). Took it and the other documents to the amphur and were married. All in spent less than 4,000 THB.

Well the company we went to just talked with us in the food court area. It's next to the Thai embassy where you swear your single and stuff :-P As you walk into the food area it will be the building to your right. The guys will be wearing professional suits and dress professionally.