Shocking Stuff At Thapae Gate Today

Greenside

Really, in the midst of the maddest bit at Thapae gate as most of the crowd were waving at the news helicopter, I happened to look down and...

1251787145_gJV9z-L.jpg

Telling the owners of the feet in this shot merely resulted in a grin. TIT.

1251787321_uU6gv-L.jpg

1251785008_VxDGu-L.jpg

1251784449_L5hxf-L.jpg

1251783077_Axwtx-L.jpg

For a change, today's DOTD was American so I guess some Red-neck Survivalists were down one rather than the BNP. At least is takes the heat of us Brits for a while.:D

More of today's pictures here

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Greenside,

Great photos, as always, thanks ! As my human's eyeballs scanned down to the bottom of the first picture, our first reaction to what's poking out of the "sidewalk" was ... snake !

Of course, using the English term "sidewalk," is really inaccurate here in Amazing T.

But, what is a "DOTD," if we may ask ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Great photos, as always, thanks ! As my human's eyeballs scanned down to the bottom of the first picture, our first reaction to what's poking out of the "sidewalk" was ... snake !

Of course, using the English term "sidewalk," is really inaccurate here in Amazing T.

But, what is a "DOTD," if we may ask ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Since when has "sidewalk" been an English term ?

I am only prepared to grant you pavement or footpath.

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Waterlogged Friends,

Just to lay the ...

... sidewalk/footpath/motosai lane/orthopedic injury induction zone/pavement/segregated footway ...

debate debacle to rest: the idea that the English language now "belongs" to that island of woeful decline, that festering collection of sloughs of despond, bogs, fens ...

... which Chaucer summed up so nicely in "oh wombe, oh bellye, oh stinking cod, fulfilled of dong and of corrupcion," Great Britain, from whence English emerged ...

... in the wake of Romans over Picts and Celts, Angles' and Saxons' monsyllabic grunts overlayed on Latin, Pictish and Celtic languages stocks, Vikings over rarely Latin-literate Angles and Saxons, Norman French uber alles, with massive infusions of Latin and Greek to give it a technical, literary, aesthetic, and metaphysical vocabulary: ...

... shaped mightily by Ben Johnson, who we now know had Tourette's syndrome, and such wonderful polymaths as the vituperative dwarf, Alexander Pope, not to mention the immortal Bard of Avon (one scholar claims 'Hamlet alone provides the first written usage of six-hundred words in English) ...

To say, now, that the standard of English usage is located in the geographic island boundaries of that squalor of relics of empires, is an example of ... chauvinism. fyi: in contemporary American usage 'pavement' would refer to road-surfacing, not sidewalks.

But, we suspect we all might agree that there is no term, in any "national flavour" of the English language, that truly conveys the monstrosity of what we, farangs, come here with the cultural baggage in our heads of assuming that certain areas bordering roadways are meant for pedestrians.

Alas and alack, "orthopedic injury induction zone" is neither pithy enow, or fullsome wherewithal, if you drift our catch.

:)

best, ~o:37;

p.s. We have to admit, grudgingly, that to hear a truly well-educated, highly literate, native British English-speaker, speaking the English language, has a "beauty" and "elegance" that "charms" our ears unequalled by 99% of contemporary American speech.

On the other hand, to our ears, there's something about the ways that English-fluent Russians speak English that is delightful ... for us.

Chacun à son goût

Edited by orang37

Surely you must mean the bitumen tarmac..

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun LannaRebirth,

No, good Sir, we do not, nor do we mean "macadam" (named for its Scot inventor), or "asphalt" (Greek=>Late Latin=> Medieval French=>Middle English): of course 'bitumen' is another Latin variant term for asphalt :) Did we forget cobblestones, or their later replacement "setts" ?

But England certainly deserves glory for the "metalled" (limestone surface over quartzite pebbles) bronze-age road discovered at Yarnton !

Sheesh... To get a simple thread showing a few pictures of waterlogged revellers and a live wire hijacked by a debate on the semantics of road surfaces must just about be a record, even here.

Think I'll post the next lot of pictures with title about fish and chips and then it'll run forever and never get off the subject ;)

Sheesh... To get a simple thread showing a few pictures of waterlogged revellers and a live wire hijacked by a debate on the semantics of road surfaces must just about be a record, even here.

Think I'll post the next lot of pictures with title about fish and chips and then it'll run forever and never get off the subject ;)

Please forgive us for our lack of taste, bud. Verily it hath been said: "The road to Hell is paved with off-topic digressions."

We understand if you feel like you are in Macbeth reciting: "but in these cases we but teach bloody instructions, which being taught, return to plague their inventor."

Your sacred icons of saturnalia do deserve to be uncluttered by such petty sophistry of linguistic nationalism: like this message.

Unless, of course, you might construe a round of gamecock banter, here, as in the spirit of Songkraan-mayhem :)

Our human's mother was a member of the "Daughters of the American Revolution:" it may be genetic ?

And now, to sweet silence hence (promise).

Nice pics, Greenside, esp No 2.

-----

Nicely hijacked

To say, now, that the standard of English usage is located in the geographic island boundaries of that squalor of relics of empires, is an example of ... chauvinism. fyi:

Well where else :blink: - nice sentiment btw (from a septic?). English is English born n bred pal and does indeed belong to that 'squalor of relics of empires'. It evolved beautifully from that 'island of woeful decline' (all languages evolved) eons before that chunk of nothingness came into being across the pond, for example. If it didn't, do you think you'd be able to throw a bunch of perfectly decent English words together to come up with complete mush through it right now?

p.s. We have to admit, grudgingly, that to hear a truly well-educated, highly literate, native British English-speaker, speaking the English language, has a "beauty" and "elegance" that "charms" our ears unequalled by 99% of contemporary American speech.

Indeed. The likes of Richard Dawkins (particularly when in debate over there) makes you all sound like schoolkids. :lol: I'll make an exception for Denzel and Pacino, unless of course they're trying to argue with him.

I apologize for my little contribution to that. I really have enjoyed your pictures and spent a couple hours today going through your website galleries. You're a talented photographer and there's some really wonderful work on display there. That said, got an pics from today? TIA