2Nd Time Traveler In Need Of Some Advice

sam3384

Dear Friends,

I am planning on visiting Cambodia, Vietnam, and Thailand next winter.

My itinerary goes like this: a) LAX to BKK

b Upon arrival at Suvambari, I will be taking the 14:30 bus to Aranyaprathet.

c) Aranyaprathet to Siam Reap

c) After staying in Cambodia for approximatley 2.5 weeks, taking another bus to Vietnam (Saigon)

d) After approximatley 3 weeks in Vietnam, I'm going to take another bus from Vietnam to Thailand. Planning on staying in Thailand for exactly 30 days.

e) After my 30 days is up I'm taking a flight back to LAX

Now my questions are these: 1) Upon arrival at Suvambari, will Immigration need to see proof of a bus ticket to Cambodia, in order to waive me in?

2) Which terminal do I go to at Suvambari to take a bus to Aranyaprathet? (I understand departures from Suvarnabhumi are at 08:00 & 14:30)

3) After I arrive in Thailand from Vietnam, will Thai Immigration give me a Passport stamp for 30 days?

If anyone can assist me with these questions I will be most grateful. Please note that I already understand that as a US citizen I will need to have a Visa to enter into Cambodia and Vietnam.

If anyone has done the same trip and has any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear your ideas as well. Thank you again for taking the time to read my post.

Edited by sam3384

Wow...fantastic trip! Wish I was going!!!!!

1) Upon arrival at Suvambari, will Immigration need to see proof of a bus ticket to Cambodia, in order to waive me in?

Immigration here does not care about your onward ticket, but the airline at LAX will. If you don't have a Thai visa OR a return ticket, you will probably be required to buy a return ticket on the spot...or not travel. Not a big deal as they are fully refundable, but make sure you have a good limit on your credit card as it will be expensive. I'm not sure a bus ticket will let you get a transit visa...can't help you there. I do this trip 2 times a year (but to LAS). Jet lag is killer. IMHO, a day or two here in Bangkok would be great for your recovery (or not! depending on what you do. ;) ). Plenty of cheap hotels and it would allow you to travel on after you've recovered. Trying to do that bus trip after a long flight would be tough.

2) Which terminal do I go to at Suvambari to take a bus to Aranyaprathet? (I understand departures from Suvarnabhumi are at 08:00 & 14:30).

Can't help you here. But many more options at Morchit.

3) After I arrive in Thailand from Vietnam, will Thai Immigration give me a Passport stamp for 30 days?

If you come in at the border, its 14 days. If you come via air, it's 30.

Vietnam to Thailand is a looooooong way by bus. IMHO, you are better off getting an air ticket from Hanoi to BKK. Air Asia and several other carriers do it very cheap. Plan now and you can get a really good deal. Unless you plan to stop off in Luang Prabang, which would be great...then some rafting in Vang Vieng.

I did 4 weeks in Vietnam. Mostly by bus, but did take the plane from Hue to Hanoi. I met some travelers who had done it via night bus and said it was horrible. The plane ticket was relatively cheap also. The 3 day tour of the delta out of Saigon is great. Hue and HoiAn are also great places to visit. Try to do the 3-4 day boat trip of Halong. Really cool.

I did 4 days in Angkor Wat and it was just about right. Lots to see, including a visit to the lake to see the Vietnamese people who live on the water.

Wow...so much to do and see! Have a blast....

apply online for your vietnamese visa. Its not really a visa but u get pre approved which u need to have,

Bets bet, before u leave the states get a double entry visa for Thailand and then u will have no hassles about tickets.

Vietnam to Thailand via Cambodia. form Saigon or Hanoi? If Saigon you will travel to either Phnom Penh or Shianoukville and from there to thailand. ur talking a long ride

This makes more sense;

fly into thailand with ur visa, Spend a few days/nights working off the jetlag, travel to Siem Rep by bus via Aranyaprathet, spend sometime up there, travel by bus to Hanoi, spend ur time there and in the mountains then make ur way to Saigon, then by bus to PP (worth 5 days) and or Shianoukville, ( 1 week and explore Kep and Kampot) before returning to Thailand with second entry and home.

Note u'll need two Cambodian Visas and both are $20 ( no double entries available)

apply online for your vietnamese visa. Its not really a visa but u get pre approved which u need to have,

Bets bet, before u leave the states get a double entry visa for Thailand and then u will have no hassles about tickets.

Vietnam to Thailand via Cambodia. form Saigon or Hanoi? If Saigon you will travel to either Phnom Penh or Shianoukville and from there to thailand. ur talking a long ride

This makes more sense;

fly into thailand with ur visa, Spend a few days/nights working off the jetlag, travel to Siem Rep by bus via Aranyaprathet, spend sometime up there,

try this;

travel to Saigon from sr via Phnom Penh/shinoukville,(Kep Kampot);

Travel up thru Vietnam and then fly to Luang Phrabang,( visa on arrival) river down to Vientiene, bus back to Nong Khai

Get a double entry tourist visa in the US before leaving.

Then you will have no problems.

+1 :thumbsup:

Agreed, the visa will solve your potential airline troubles AND you will get the time you want returning to Thailand overland (where they only give a 15 day stamp)

Wow...fantastic trip! Wish I was going!!!!!

1) Upon arrival at Suvambari, will Immigration need to see proof of a bus ticket to Cambodia, in order to waive me in?

Immigration here does not care about your onward ticket, but the airline at LAX will. If you don't have a Thai visa OR a return ticket, you will probably be required to buy a return ticket on the spot...or not travel. Not a big deal as they are fully refundable, but make sure you have a good limit on your credit card as it will be expensive. I'm not sure a bus ticket will let you get a transit visa...can't help you there. I do this trip 2 times a year (but to LAS). Jet lag is killer. IMHO, a day or two here in Bangkok would be great for your recovery (or not! depending on what you do. ;) ). Plenty of cheap hotels and it would allow you to travel on after you've recovered. Trying to do that bus trip after a long flight would be tough.

2) Which terminal do I go to at Suvambari to take a bus to Aranyaprathet? (I understand departures from Suvarnabhumi are at 08:00 & 14:30).

Can't help you here. But many more options at Morchit.

If you come in at the border, its 14 days. If you come via air, it's 30.

Vietnam to Thailand is a looooooong way by bus. IMHO, you are better off getting an air ticket from Hanoi to BKK. Air Asia and several other carriers do it very cheap. Plan now and you can get a really good deal. Unless you plan to stop off in Luang Prabang, which would be great...then some rafting in Vang Vieng.

I did 4 weeks in Vietnam. Mostly by bus, but did take the plane from Hue to Hanoi. I met some travelers who had done it via night bus and said it was horrible. The plane ticket was relatively cheap also. The 3 day tour of the delta out of Saigon is great. Hue and HoiAn are also great places to visit. Try to do the 3-4 day boat trip of Halong. Really cool.

I did 4 days in Angkor Wat and it was just about right. Lots to see, including a visit to the lake to see the Vietnamese people who live on the water.

Wow...so much to do and see! Have a blast....

Craig, thank you so much for your excellent advice.

I am taking your advice and will take the plane from Vietnam to Thailand. That way I will get a 30 day stamp rather than a 14.

My return ticket is from BKK to LAX. So as you said Thai Immigration should be okay with me going to the bus station en route to Cambodia.

Your absolutely right about the whole jet lag thing. However I have a pretty high threshold for misery, so I'm just going to soldier the whole trip. I think from LAX to Cambodia will last me 25 hours with my route.

By the sounds of it your an expert on travel in Vietnam. I wish I was going with you. I really appreciate your help. I just started Googling some of those cities you mentioned and they look absolutely beautiful. Best of luck to you on your future travels as well.

Sam-

PS Sorry about the late reply...

Why not do some traveling by train? This is a good site for train and (I think) bus travel in the region: http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm

But I agree, you must be mad wanting to take a bus straight to Cambodia after a long flight! No thanks.

Enjoy your trip.

I'm not the most experienced traveler. So I think your right.

I might just take a couple days off before heading to Cambodia. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by sam3384

This makes more sense;

fly into thailand with ur visa, Spend a few days/nights working off the jetlag, travel to Siem Rep by bus via Aranyaprathet, spend sometime up there,

try this;

Travel up thru Vietnam and then fly to Luang Phrabang,( visa on arrival) river down to Vientiene, bus back to Nong Khai

You've given me a lot of good ideas to ponder. I've been googling those routes you mentioned for the last week. Very informative.

So if I get a double entry visa I can go from Thailand to Cambodia to Vietnam and then back to Thailand, without having to apply for a visa on arrival?

You seem to have plenty of answers to qu.'s 1 & 3. However, in respect of 2) note that the bus departs from the Transport Centre which is located 2kms from the airport terminal. You will need to catch a shuttle bus (take the express one) which will take around 15mins. They are very regular.

Note that at the Poipet border crossing it is a bit messy and the Cambodians will try to extract extra funds from you. Pay the US$20 amount, not the 1000baht amount as some silly people do (work that out at current exchange rates), don't pay the extra 100 baht they will ask of you and make sure you have a1 pic or you will be asked to pay 100 baht.

Note that once you cross you could be waiting for a while for a bus or share taxi to SR and you will be offered many differing rates for both by touts. (I can't tell you hm it is as I have never done this trip by road - check the threads as there are a couple).

Also just to comment on some suggestions of an itinerary plan.

Someone suggested you take a bus from SR to Hanoi which is not possible unless you go to HCM city first and that suggestion makes little geographical sense to me. (You could travel through Laos but only if you like adventure as the crossing via Dom Kralor on the Mekong is isolated and difficult)

You should note that you CANNOT obtain a visa on arrival (VOA) entering Vietnam by land, you need to have a visa beforehand so either do it before you depart or in PP assuming you'll spend a few days there. (A VOA is possible if by online application prior to arrival at Hanoi, HCM or Danang airports only).

Someone else suggested you cross the border near Shinanoukville (Kampot and Phnom Den crossing). Some of the coastline is beautiful and the Mekong Delta in Vietnam is definately worth a visit but this route does not have the best rtansport links so if you want to take the time and see a bit more of Cambodia and Vietnam then consider it otherwise direct from PP to HCM is the easiet and quickest. You can visit the Mekong Delta more easily from HCM.

Note that there are no trains in Cambodia. The train trip from BKK to Aran takes 6 hrs (as opposed to 4hr max in the bus) and it only has 3rd class. If you wanted to engage in a form of self torture after a long haul air trip then take the train!

An easy overall itinerary plan to consider;

BKK to Aran to SR to PP to HCM to Danang (fly or train) check out Hoi An and Hue then train or fly to Hanoi (check out Halong Bay and Sapa). You could then either fly direct to BKK (check out Air france as well as they usually have cheap fares between thailand & Vietnam) or do a stint in Laos.

For trains in vietnam, book with the private trains over the public trains. There are some spectacular sections on the north-south line but the whole trip takes 33 hrs so comfort and journey breaks are the way to go.

This makes more sense;

try this;

You've given me a lot of good ideas to ponder. I've been googling those routes you mentioned for the last week. Very informative.

So if I get a double entry visa I can go from Thailand to Cambodia to Vietnam and then back to Thailand, without having to apply for a visa on arrival?

Yes

You seem to have plenty of answers to qu.'s 1 & 3. However, in respect of 2) note that the bus departs from the Transport Centre which is located 2kms from the airport terminal. You will need to catch a shuttle bus (take the express one) which will take around 15mins. They are very regular.

Note that at the Poipet border crossing it is a bit messy and the Cambodians will try to extract extra funds from you. Pay the US$20 amount, not the 1000baht amount as some silly people do (work that out at current exchange rates), don't pay the extra 100 baht they will ask of you and make sure you have a1 pic or you will be asked to pay 100 baht.

Note that once you cross you could be waiting for a while for a bus or share taxi to SR and you will be offered many differing rates for both by touts. (I can't tell you hm it is as I have never done this trip by road - check the threads as there are a couple).

Also just to comment on some suggestions of an itinerary plan.

Someone suggested you take a bus from SR to Hanoi which is not possible unless you go to HCM city first and that suggestion makes little geographical sense to me. (You could travel through Laos but only if you like adventure as the crossing via Dom Kralor on the Mekong is isolated and difficult)

You should note that you CANNOT obtain a visa on arrival (VOA) entering Vietnam by land, you need to have a visa beforehand so either do it before you depart or in PP assuming you'll spend a few days there. (A VOA is possible if by online application prior to arrival at Hanoi, HCM or Danang airports only).

Someone else suggested you cross the border near Shinanoukville (Kampot and Phnom Den crossing). Some of the coastline is beautiful and the Mekong Delta in Vietnam is definately worth a visit but this route does not have the best rtansport links so if you want to take the time and see a bit more of Cambodia and Vietnam then consider it otherwise direct from PP to HCM is the easiet and quickest. You can visit the Mekong Delta more easily from HCM.

Note that there are no trains in Cambodia. The train trip from BKK to Aran takes 6 hrs (as opposed to 4hr max in the bus) and it only has 3rd class. If you wanted to engage in a form of self torture after a long haul air trip then take the train!

An easy overall itinerary plan to consider;

BKK to Aran to SR to PP to HCM to Danang (fly or train) check out Hoi An and Hue then train or fly to Hanoi (check out Halong Bay and Sapa). You could then either fly direct to BKK (check out Air france as well as they usually have cheap fares between thailand & Vietnam) or do a stint in Laos.

For trains in vietnam, book with the private trains over the public trains. There are some spectacular sections on the north-south line but the whole trip takes 33 hrs so comfort and journey breaks are the way to go.

+10!!! Thanks for nailing question #2 :jap:. I couldn't find a single good answer after much research.

I've heard that the Poipet crossing is chaos. But I read up on it, and the general consensus seems to be to take a tuk tuk straight to the immigration center and avoid the "fake" embassy. I definetely will take the correct change and a photo too.

I didn't know you needed a visa to Vietnam beforehand for overland travel. Good looking out.

I'm with you, with respects to avoiding the 6 hour train.

Your itinerary is better and more practical than mine. I will go ahead and do BKK to AR to SR to PP to Sinhoukville to HCM(everything in between Saigon and Hanoi) and a plane back to BKK. (I might take a pass on Laos.)

33 hours from HCM to Hanoi? Wow I had no idea the country covered so much distance. I'll keep that in mind and take a private train.

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help a newbie traveler. You sure have a wealth of knowledge. ;)

If anyone else has done a similar trip, I would love to hear your stories.

This makes more sense;

try this;

Yes

Thanks again boss.

Great advise from everyone! Since you have some time, head to your local library and get a Rough Guide or Lonely Plant guide book. What I like about LP is they have "suggested" itineraries. From 1 week to 4+ weeks. I would even suggest you buy a copy and take with you. Lots of great stuff in there...especially descriptions of side trips from the larger cities...as well as a fantastic 1 day walk in Hanoi's old town. Incredible stuff.

Not sure I would waste my money with the Cambo guide, but for sure checkout a copy as it will have great info on transportation options and connections.

Great advise from everyone! Since you have some time, head to your local library and get a Rough Guide or Lonely Plant guide book. What I like about LP is they have "suggested" itineraries. From 1 week to 4+ weeks. I would even suggest you buy a copy and take with you. Lots of great stuff in there...especially descriptions of side trips from the larger cities...as well as a fantastic 1 day walk in Hanoi's old town. Incredible stuff.

Not sure I would waste my money with the Cambo guide, but for sure checkout a copy as it will have great info on transportation options and connections.

Just checked it out online. Very informative. I know what I'm doing the next seven months.

Thanks again for all the responses.

wait and buy all ur Lonely planet guide books in Phnom Penh,. about $5.00 each.

I have been travelling over 35 years in Asia and still always have a copy, they are great for maps and when u need at least one hotel to head for.

Apply at the thai embassy in the states or anywhre for a double entry and then u can come nad go twice into thailand and have 60 days on each entry

Transport between PP/via Kep/Kampot is very easy to arrnage and its only a few hours but taxi or bus BUT u need a visa in adavnce so u need get that from an embassy. You can ONLY use the pre approved visa by website if u fly in. BUT u can get ur vietnam visa in PP and use an agent to make it faster.