Growing Teak In Isaan

turnpike

Has anyone tried this? Will it grow in this region? Is it a viable cash crop? I'm thinking of buying some more land here someday. Teak would appeal to me because, other than watering, and a little TLC for the first year or three, it'd be something you could basically plant and forget for a few years, and the price of teak will only climb during this time. I've got other plans for some of the land, and I've only just started researching this, but does anyone have any comments?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone tried this? Will it grow in this region? Is it a viable cash crop? I'm thinking of buying some more land here someday. Teak would appeal to me because, other than watering, and a little TLC for the first year or three, it'd be something you could basically plant and forget for a few years, and the price of teak will only climb during this time. I've got other plans for some of the land, and I've only just started researching this, but does anyone have any comments?

Thanks in advance.

that's a cracking idea,

i am in the carpentry business and to get hold of teak is big money.

only one word of warning, register your company as soon as you start and also prove it will be sustainable, as now in the uk and europe we must prove that the timber we buy has not been ilegally logged so you must have the relevant paperwork to get top dollar. if you could do that as a long term investment you have a potential winner

the fact of TEAK

1 u need 15-20 yrs for get the profit

2 even teak is belong to u (coz u feed it) but when you wanna buy u have to ask authorization from Royal Forest Department before ... mean you are not the exactly owner

bambi

/edit thx jeff to correct my pidgin eng

Edited by BambinA

They do it around here.

Here a good like for Teak growing.

http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cdr.asp?...5E/x4565e10.htm

They recon that you can sell after about 10 years, the wood going to make teak veneere, but obviouslythe longer you grow for the better profit.

You have to make sure that you register the trees with the Royal Forest Department WHEN you plant them. They can then be sold legally.

I've been thinking of putting themall around the perimiter of my land, as I would take no real space. If you find out where you can get sapplings...drop me a PM. I did here that thery are sometimes avalible free.

RC