Barclays Visa Card - A Warning

geoffe77

Whilst travelling in Thailand recently I had my visa card stolen (not by prostitute in room but on main street). I was surprised when I phoned Barclays to be told they would only send a replacement card to my home address and to get a cash transfer I would have to return to my branch in the UK and make the transfer from there (14000 miles and £1200 airfares). SO BE WARNED IF YOU LOSE OR HAVE YOUR VISA CARD STOLEN BARCLAYS BANK WILL LET YOU STARVE TO DEATH IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY.

Was it a Barclays debit card or a Barclaycard ? If a its a Barclaycard, they will replace a card abroard, and will organise emergancy cash, it debit card then I don't think so look below.

Have you got a card protection plan, travel insurance or home insurance that covers outside loss, if you do then whey will help you secure an interest free loan or some type of funding to keep your holiday going.

But who goes to a foreign country and keeps all their eggs in one basket, always leave a backup card in your hotel safe or something like that!

Always carry more than one card not in the same place. Credit card will help you out Debit card will not.

Always a good idea to have some travellers cheques to hand as well.

Now I am married I hang Thai gold on my wife. Easily sold in an emergency(if you can get it off her)! Also sometimes referred to as a Thai credit card :whistling:

I always travel with 2 credit cards...and usually 2 ATM cards from different banks. Years ago I was stuck in Ecuador where they didn't support one of the ATM systems (Cirrus or Plus, can't remember which). Had to have my father wire me money to live off until I got to Peru! Same thing happened to me in the Philippines, but I was smart by then and had a backup card. ;)

As a heavy traveler, I've had my card suspended for a variety of reasons. Even though you notify the bank you will be traveling to various countries, automatic systems sometimes shut down your card...no fun...

SO BE WARNED IF YOU LOSE OR HAVE YOUR VISA CARD STOLEN BARCLAYS BANK WILL LET YOU STARVE TO DEATH IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY.

Of course they will not send your new card and PIN to any address in the world, I'm not trying to be cynical but surely you wouldn't want to be with a bank that would just give your credit card to anyone in the world who aks for it without being able to verify your identity or foreign address.

I lost my debit card in Panthip Plaza but HSBC were good enough to send a new one to their HSBC HQ in Bangkok for me to collect just a few days later, for free. Are Barclay's partnered with any bank in BKK and they could send it to one of those branches for you to collect with your passport as ID?

Can you get a family member to record post your card only to a Thai address (hotel/bank)? I'm sure you've already thought of all this, I'm just trying to help. :)

I always travel with 2 credit cards...and usually 2 ATM cards from different banks. Years ago I was stuck in Ecuador where they didn't support one of the ATM systems (Cirrus or Plus, can't remember which). Had to have my father wire me money to live off until I got to Peru! Same thing happened to me in the Philippines, but I was smart by then and had a backup card. ;)

As a heavy traveler, I've had my card suspended for a variety of reasons. Even though you notify the bank you will be traveling to various countries, automatic systems sometimes shut down your card...no fun...

Same. I always have 2 cards on me and split them so I carry one and my gf carries the other, that was if I get pickpocketed or lose my wallet then I have a backup.

And it sucks balls when your bank won't let you use your card in a foreign ATM. How many times I've arrived and been stranded at an airport with no cash, no phone credit and a bank card which doesn't work because of my overzealous bank! You need to make sure you always notify your bank whenever you travel and change countries nowadays, it's no joke being totally marooned in a foreign country.

I gae up with Barclays a few years ago, they were hopeless. Their Visa card never worked, You had to phone them each time and each time they asked that I tell them when I was travelling abroad. I just couldnt get through to them that I hadnt lived in the UK for over 20 years and only visited at the behest of my company. It seemed to work for Alan Whicker but never for me!

If you can, get an American Express card. With it you can cash a personal check at any Amex office. Amounts available vary depending on your card. Traveller's checks are also a good way to go. I've had them stolen before and Amex in Thailand was ready to replace them after a quick phone conversation.

If you have a debit card and credit card from the same bank, carry them separately as you can often transfer funds from one account to another through internet banking if one card gets lost or stolen..

Most banks - unreasonably - won't send replacement cards to Thailand. I got one in Oz in 3 days.

just get a friend to post it on for you..........DHL or someone like that.

You can transfer money up to 5000 quid over the phone.

you might have had a problem with a destination A/C though?

in short I think a lot of the frustration you have had is a result of your own shortsightedness.

Since 9/11 banks have been forced to be ridiculously paranoid about sending money abroad and if you intend to go abroad you can set up a lot of things to help BEFORE YOU GO .......

• - Let them know you are going abroad and intend to use your card
  • - sort out potential transfer arrangements with the bank
  • If you are a frequent visitor to Thailand open an account here

• 2 weeks later...

I gae up with Barclays a few years ago, they were hopeless. Their Visa card never worked, You had to phone them each time and each time they asked that I tell them when I was travelling abroad. I just couldnt get through to them that I hadnt lived in the UK for over 20 years and only visited at the behest of my company. It seemed to work for Alan Whicker but never for me!

Your right about Barclays. When I rang them to inform them I was travelling in Asia for 5 weeks I was asked my date of birth which I gave them. Operator said this was wrong date of birth but was date on my passport which I showed when I opened account. Decided I was talking to an idiot so hung up and rang again this time I was told my account had been locked out because I gave wrong information and could not be accessed for 3 days.

Most banks - unreasonably - won't send replacement cards to Thailand. I got one in Oz in 3 days.

in short I think a lot of the frustration you have had is a result of your own shortsightedness.

Since 9/11 banks have been forced to be ridiculously paranoid about sending money abroad and if you intend to go abroad you can set up a lot of things to help BEFORE YOU GO .......

Did let them know going abroad

Had Thai bank account but not much use if Barclays wont transfer money into it.

Might be shortsighted but can read on VISA website clearly stated replacement card and money transfer will be arranged if cards lost or stolen.xxxxxx

I don't know if my account is tagged as a regular traveller, but I've used my Barclaycard (credit card) all over SE Asia, India and Europe with absolutely no issues whatever.

I'm still unclear if the OP has a Barclays Debit Card (with the VISA symbol) or a Barclaycard Credit Card. I suspect that there are different rules.

I think pretty much all banks have the same policy as Barclays, I don't use my bank card abroad unless it is really necessary. Instead I use a prepaid credit card, which means I can load the amount I need on the card. I brought two with me, good job I did as well because I lost one.