My Family Really Needs A Car And Cannot Afford Being Screwed.

Solditallandmovedhere

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK now I am a little freaked out! How does everyone know things like the name of the guy that is selling it and the city it is in? I never mentioned these things. I checked in my links and still couldn't find that info available to the public. No, I haven't found a mechanic there yet. No idea how to either really!

When you go to your first link highlight and right click to google 1964 Volkswagen Beetle / VW Bug and it will take you to links and the first one is ThaiVisa classifieds. Click on that and hey presto your car advertised in Sukothai.

Then click on the shots you also took and it takes you to the sellers Picasa page, showing the sellers gallery name in blue.

I agree with lannabarinth, everything on a Beetle is fixable, but I'm not sure about parts. There are quite a few around, so I guess they are available from somewhere.

Enjoy, looks a stunner. smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

OK now I am a little freaked out! How does everyone know things like the name of the guy that is selling it and the city it is in? I never mentioned these things. I checked in my links and still couldn't find that info available to the public. No, I haven't found a mechanic there yet. No idea how to either really!

When you go to your first link highlight and right click to google 1964 Volkswagen Beetle / VW Bug and it will take you to links and the first one is ThaiVisa classifieds. Click on that and hey presto your car advertised in Sukothai.

Then click on the shots you also took and it takes you to the sellers Picasa page, showing the sellers gallery name in blue.

I agree with lannabarinth, everything on a Beetle is fixable, but I'm not sure about parts. There are quite a few around, so I guess they are available from somewhere.

Ya know thats the funny thing! I am a Graphic Designer and can run circles with the Adobesuites but when it comes to navigating around the web I am still a greenhorn ina sense. Good to know though! I thought maybe someone on TV was theseller or something funny like that! As far as parts go I found this place inthe US that seems to have everything. Everything! (http://www.mtmfg.com/)Not sure what the import tax is but I was going to try and get around that buysending to my family in the US and then having them rewrap it brown paper andsend it over here labeled as “a gift”. That should work right?

Ya know thats the funny thing! I am a Graphic Designer and can run circles with the Adobesuites but when it comes to navigating around the web I am still a greenhorn ina sense. Good to know though! I thought maybe someone on TV was theseller or something funny like that! As far as parts go I found this place inthe US that seems to have everything. Everything! (http://www.mtmfg.com/)Not sure what the import tax is but I was going to try and get around that buysending to my family in the US and then having them rewrap it brown paper andsend it over here labeled as "a gift". That should work right?

Just relax and enjoy that lovely car.smile.gif

Sounds as if you have got any unforeseen circumstances covered.

Maybe everyone who spots you should give you a thumbsup.gif

Umm, the plates also show the car is registered in Sukothai as does the registration label ;)

Love VW beetles, my father used to drive them in the Round Australia Redex Reliability Trials in the 1950's. 15,450 kilometre motor endurance rally over rough terrain and unsealed roads in 18 days.

A car complete with 2-40 A/C (open 2 windows and drive at least 40 kph).

Most cars in Thailand don't come with heaters, but have A/C. This collecor Bug probably has neither.

Saw old air con car units in the past that hung on the window. Would be next to impossible to find one of those now.

If it was a VW Bus, you could convert it into a mobile fish and chips complete with disco lights and fake cocktaiils.

Enjoy and have fun "Pimping Your Ride".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr9scrl8aZE&feature=related

Edited by KimoMax

Financing thru a bank in thailand if you are an expat is next to impossible, unless you have a Thai partner to sign for the loan in their name and decent credit. The loan will be in the Thai's name and they will take your income into consideration to qualirfy the Thai partner for a loan.

Financing thru a bank in thailand if you are an expat is next to impossible, unless you have a Thai partner to sign for the loan in their name and decent credit. The loan will be in the Thai's name and they will take your income into consideration to qualirfy the Thai partner for a loan.

If you cannot afford to pay 165,000 Baht cash for a vehicle then you cannot afford to be an expat living outside your own country. Many many things, beyond your control, are much more expensive than that and can happen to you suddenly.

Edited by lannarebirth

To the OP regarding working out repayments

Here is the formula to work out your payments if you have to borrow say 900000 baht

OK

900000 Bht x 2.45% (Interest rate) = 22050 Bht x 5 (The 5 Year repayment period) = 110250 Bht + 900000 Bht (The original loan amount) = 1010250 Bht Divide this by 60 (This is the amount of months the loan was taken out eg 5 years = 60 months) = 16837.5 Bht

This final figure will be your monthly payments.

You can change the loan amount interest rate and loan period to suite your circumstances but believe this is the formula Toyota will use when giving you a quote (according to the nice Toyota lady on our Moo Bann)

Hope this is of some use

TB

Your nice Toyota lady is screwing you then by charging interest on the full value for the entire period of the loan. When payments are made the principle balance declines and so does the interest charge each month.. Payments for the loan you described would be 15952.79 per month if I punched the buttons on my calculator correctly. There are lots of mortgage payment calculators on the web and available in Excel or other spreadsheets also.

The actual formula for this type of payment schedule is

M = P [ i(1 + i)n ] / [ (1 + i)n - 1] cannot show correctly here but is (1+i) to the nth power and (1+i) to the N-1 power in the calculation

M = mortgage payment (monthly)

P = principle of the loan (original loan amount)

i = interest rate ® divided by 12 or simply r/12

n = number of months until payoff. 30 year mortgage = 12 months x 30 years = 360

Read more: How to Calculate: Mortgage Payment Formula | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5292057_calculate-mortgage-payment-formula.html#ixzz1KiApOBO7

Your nice Toyota lady is screwing you then by charging interest on the full value for the entire period of the loan. When payments are made the principle balance declines and so does the interest charge each month.

I wonder how nice that Toyota lady will be from now on? whistling.gif

If you cannot afford to pay 165,000 Baht cash for a vehicle then you cannot afford to be an expat living outside your own country. Many many things, beyond your control, are much more expensive than that and can happen to you suddenly.

Well thanks for your 2 cents.However it is obvious that you have just read a few posts and not the whole feed.I never mentioned that I was financing 165000 baht! Yes, youcannot afford to be an expat living outside your own country if youcannot afford 165000 Baht cash for a car. I agree with this. I just wonder whyit was needed in the first place. The only thing I can assume is that you reada few posts and wanted someone to hear what you had to say. Heard! I have founda car. It costs 165000 Baht. I am paying cash. There really isn’t anything else to say honestly. The financingoption that was addressed was the consideration of going to a new car dealer w/165000 Baht deposit and getting a new car like the Nissan March. Lannarebirthis right about the wholefinancing issue as well. It is next to impossible unless to have what is calleda “Thai Guarantor”, and yes they must have good credit. That reminds me, if anyof you reading this are “Google”ing this info, keep in mind Credit here is notthe same kind of Credit as in the West. In the West they do not ask for adeposit in the amount of credit you wish to receive. In other words, if youwanted 20000 Baht of credit, you would have to give the bank 20000 Baht thatthey hold onto. That is your credit limit. You then can buy things the way mostof the rest of the world uses their credit cards and have 45 days to pay it back. It is more like a Check Card in the West really.See, there is another strange thing about banking here. A Check Card it prettymuch the same as the states but you are limited to how you can use it. Forexample, you would not have the ability to use it online to buy stuff. Thatwould be a "Credit Card" luxury. So you see this would mean that your ThaiGuarantor would have to be quite well off in the first place. So yes, it wouldbe very hard to find one with a decent amount of credit to help you. Besides,why would they? They would have to really trust you because at the end of theday, they are out –right responsible for the payments if you turn out to be anA** Hole and default. See, the OP has learned a few things since he fell offthe plane with his family!

Welcome to the forum....and Chiang Mai.

From reading your post, i can feel your frustrations. I also read that if in fact you talked to the gas man in that manner ,and some of remainder, forgive me for thinking that you may have more frustrating times ahead of you.

Try and ease up a bit and realize that Thailand is not back home and try to fit in here, not comparing with 'back home'. This area has a lot going for it if you allow yourself to see and feel it. Its not perfect , but its here..

Many of the expats here came from the good life of big cars, big houses and big money,,,, but here is here.....

Basically what I may be trying to offer to you is no matter who or what you had ,or were back home....... it will be a much better life for you and your family if your mindset fits into a 'learn' don't 'teach' mode

Hope it works out or you ..... good luck and again welcome to the forum

Gonzo

Brilliand John....I'll be over Saturday to teach you how to sell time shares in Chiang Mai......:rolleyes:

Well thanks for your 2 cents.However it is obvious that you have just read a few posts and not the whole feed.I never mentioned that I was financing 165000 baht! Yes, youcannot afford to be an expat living outside your own country if youcannot afford 165000 Baht cash for a car. I agree with this. I just wonder whyit was needed in the first place. The only thing I can assume is that you reada few posts and wanted someone to hear what you had to say. Heard! I have founda car. It costs 165000 Baht. I am paying cash. There really isn't anything else to say honestly. The financingoption that was addressed was the consideration of going to a new car dealer w/165000 Baht deposit and getting a new car

Quoted from the Original Post:

"What would happen if I brought 150,000 baht to a new car dealer here in CM (This is when I would consider a Toyota or other Asian cars), could I get a new car? What would the payments be per month. Any help would be emphatically appreciated!"

The OP should calm down. Many people will only read the first post , then the last page or last comment. This thread is already 5 pages. Not all read the whole thread. The topic was basically purchasing a used or new car in Thailand.

As in my case, I mentioned difficult or impossible for an expat to finance, to enlighten others, and possibly you, for future referance, and knowledge.

many posts and replies here on the forum are to help all interested in a particular subject. Not all replies are directed at the OP poster, but directed at the subject of the thread.

Edited by KimoMax

Some argumentative, nonconstructive posts have been removed. Also, cleaned up the formatting on one of the OPs post. Are you cutting and pasting from a word processor application as the post had a large number of formatting tags in it?

Here is the formula to work out your payments if you have to borrow say 900000 baht

OK

900000 Bht x 2.45% (Interest rate) = 22050 Bht x 5 (The 5 Year repayment period) = 110250 Bht + 900000 Bht (The original loan amount) = 1010250 Bht Divide this by 60 (This is the amount of months the loan was taken out eg 5 years = 60 months) = 16837.5 Bht

You can change the loan amount interest rate and loan period to suite your circumstances but believe this is the formula Toyota will use when giving you a quote (according to the nice Toyota lady on our Moo Bann)

Hope this is of some use

TB

Your nice Toyota lady is screwing you then by charging interest on the full value for the entire period of the loan. When payments are made the principle balance declines and so does the interest charge each month.. Payments for the loan you described would be 15952.79 per month if I punched the buttons on my calculator correctly. There are lots of mortgage payment calculators on the web and available in Excel or other spreadsheets also.

M = P [ i(1 + i)n ] / [ (1 + i)n - 1] cannot show correctly here but is (1+i) to the nth power and (1+i) to the N-1 power in the calculation

n = number of months until payoff. 30 year mortgage = 12 months x 30 years = 360

Read more: How to Calculate: Mortgage Payment Formula | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1KiApOBO7

Try finding me a CAR finance company in thailand that works with your smart calculations. Free beer on me. Cheers.

Edited by babykyo

keep in mind Credit here is notthe same kind of Credit as in the West. In the West they do not ask for adeposit in the amount of credit you wish to receive. In other words, if youwanted 20000 Baht of credit, you would have to give the bank 20000 Baht thatthey hold onto. That is your credit limit. You then can buy things the way mostof the rest of the world uses their credit cards and have 45 days to pay it back. It is more like a Check Card in the West really.See, there is another strange thing about banking here. A Check Card it prettymuch the same as the states but you are limited to how you can use it. Forexample, you would not have the ability to use it online to buy stuff. Thatwould be a "Credit Card" luxury.

My Kasikorn Visa card is not secured by a deposit.

You need to learn more about types of interest on loans. There are more ways than you suggest.

MSPain

OK

Hope this is of some use

TB

Read more: How to Calculate: Mortgage Payment Formula | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1KiApOBO7

It's nice to see that the Admin cleaned up the whole thread. Now it's three pages and not five. Thank you. I just wish people would leave rude comments in their head. Yeah I guess I became tense but it can be very upsettng when people are down right rude for no reason on here. People are just seeking info, not tying to have a battle. Thanks Admin for doing the right thing in this matter. I guess I will stick around for a while.

I do not know how any Farang is getting Finance in this country, unless it in a Thai partners name. The Thai partner then responsible and it owned by them. Even if you put 50% down now. Never been able to convince a Finance company to lend to me here. If you putting book in your name then asking them to put down 200k or whatever then they at risk of you selling and taking off.

However if they leasing to you and essentially you leasing from them then you are not the owner and it is a leasing arrangement that many thais do with BMW's, etc. Rules in this case ask higher deposits from Farang....typically only for new cars. If you take off they should be up 20-30% anyway. I have never done but would suggest that they will do this on the condition you pay the 1st class insurance. In the case you write it off then take off. They not silly- would you lend big money to a Farang you do not know.....for that matter to a Farang you do know that it not close family......

A couple of comments. I got financing via the Toyota dealership in HangDong for a new pickup truck just last year with no Thai partner. 25% downpayment. The truck is in my name, the insurance is in my name. The monthly bill comes in my name. No Thai involved. I do teach here so I had my work permit and salary reciepts to use along with bank records. So it is possible.

On another note, I have a visa credit card from Krung Thai Bank with no secured account at that bank. It has a credit limit of 100,000 baht more than enough for small needs that arise and acceptable for local and internet purchases.

Perhaps things are changing more than we know in Thailand? Anyway those are two of my personal experiences.

Actually, as harsh as it sounds, like it or not, that's a pretty close summation of a large swathe of the populace. The TV's really good though. :whistling:

Op, do yourself a favour, forget the beamer; either a new Toyota, Honda (the 400k Brio's out now). Second hand, Corollas run forever.

Is the Honda Brio actually available now? I heard they can be purchased starting the end of May, but that may be delayed because of lack of parts. I am planning to purchase a Brio the beginning of July and wonder where they are available now?

Thanks