Songkran Road Accidents Killed 299 People Nationwide

webfact

where can I get the fatality and accident statistics for the previous six days, and the six days before that?

Without thorough comparison these figures are meaningless. Don't be sucked in to the hype without checking the relativity.

Spot on. The figures they are quoting mean nothing, if they can not be compared, with other normal days?

jb1

299 deaths in 6 days is an annual running rate of 18,000. I thought that to be about the actual annual death rate on Thai roads.

So - is Songkran really that much more dangerous than any other typical day of the year?

Maybe it would be a lot higher though if there was not the incredible police focus on controlling drunk driving over the holiday period [ho ho]

where can I get the fatality and accident statistics for the previous six days, and the six days before that?

Without thorough comparison these figures are meaningless. Don't be sucked in to the hype without checking the relativity.

Spot on. The figures they are quoting mean nothing, if they can not be compared, with other normal days?

jb1

299 deaths in 6 days is an annual running rate of 18,000. I thought that to be about the actual annual death rate on Thai roads.

So - is Songkran really that much more dangerous than any other typical day of the year?

Maybe it would be a lot higher though if there was not the incredible police focus on controlling drunk driving over the holiday period [ho ho]

jb1

You are so right and it is in my opinion as dangerous as any other day on the roads and people are risking their lives everyday from people who think it is clever to travel 140 plus on ordinary roads and bragg about how fast they are going and yes with chidren in the car.

Yes speeding and drunken and also drug driving is very high here in Thailand and other countries as bad.

There is a total lack of manners and common courtesey generally and people seem to think of the car as a bomb and in many ways it is.

200 per cent right post

So true, this is only a part of the accidents and deaths for sure.

what was the figure last year to this year

In 2010, there were officially 361 deaths and 3,802 injured during Songkran.

But the actual numbers may be a lot higher given the pressure on each province

to reduce deaths and accidents each successive year.