Fresh Baked Bread In Cr...

extexthai

I am at a loss, (or would that be lost?) as to where I can get real bread now. I have to come up from Phayao as there are no bakeries here, and now that TI has closed, or has been the last few times I have come....where are other bakeries located? As usual...any and all info would be greatly appreciated and a big thanks in advance. ett

Go 1 1/2 blocks north of the new clock tower. On the right is a nice little bakery, good prices. This is in the vicinity of the Krung Thai Bank that is on the right also. Philippine lady owner, puts out a good selection every day and will bake breads to your specs if you order. Nice people. Get her business card when you stop in and then you can place your orders by phone before your trips to town. You don't have to worry about your favorites being sold out already if you do that.

She makes my special order hamburger buns for me and does a very good job of it. That product isn't something she normally sells but when I asked her about hamburger buns, she told me they could make them if they knew exactly what I expected in a bun. They tried two different recipes and came up with a very good one. Now she keeps that recipe with my name in her Rolodex.

This bakery is on the opposite side of the street as the huge market that is north of the clock tower. The market isn't showing up correctly on the pinned map, nor is the clock tower, but I would guess you know where the clock tower is.

I notice the new clock tower on the map has slid into the woods on the other side of the river now. The earthquake probably did that.smile.gif

Thanks Kandahar....as usual, you are a plethora of great info and most importantly...directions! I will definitely try that place this weekend. And Woralak....I have that same number and not only called and no one answered, but drove by anyway and saw no sign of activity of even guest house traffic. The first time about three weeks or so ago, I thought perhaps they were remodeling, but it is still dead as of day before yesterday. Again thanks all for the input....ett

The Tourist Inn is OPEN, I have been buying my bread there daily . There were some renovations to the kitchen area at the side of the hotel. The bread ovens were even put out into the soi on the side of the hotel to make sure her customers got bread . Then after a couple of weeks of baking outside in the small soi , the ovens were moved to the front of the building next to the outside seating area at the front of the building.

The Kitchen is now finished and the ovens are back inside. I know at times she has problems with the demand for her Fresh Bread. They also make different types of bread, croissants, Dutch apple Pies, Burger Buns as well.

The Tourist Inn is OPEN, I have been buying my bread there daily . There were some renovations to the kitchen area at the side of the hotel. The bread ovens were even put out into the soi on the side of the hotel to make sure her customers got bread . Then after a couple of weeks of baking outside in the small soi , the ovens were moved to the front of the building next to the outside seating area at the front of the building.

The Kitchen is now finished and the ovens are back inside. I know at times she has problems with the demand for her Fresh Bread. They also make different types of bread, croissants, Dutch apple Pies, Burger Buns as well.

Thanks for the update there, SHS1. I guess I wasn't looking at the side when I drove by....only inside and saw no one. Good to know. However, everytime I tried calling, no one answered the phone. And it is the same # as I used before. I will keep trying as I really like their bread. I will also try the other bakery north of the new clock. Again, thanks for the info....ett

Some other places to consider (for variety) are Aye's deli shop (down the alley beside De Vinci's Restaurant almost opposite the entrance to the Night bazaar,) or the Dusit Island Hotel has a small bakery shop to the left just inside it's main foyer. There's also the new Tops supermarket in Central and the japanese(?) bakery (begins with a 'y') on the left hand side of this Tops -both do a nice wholemeal that isn't sweet and has crusts. They also do bags of bread cut -offs which I intend to try using for bread and butter pudding - not for this pot luck though.

Thanks for the update there, SHS1. I guess I wasn't looking at the side when I drove by....only inside and saw no one. Good to know. However, everytime I tried calling, no one answered the phone. And it is the same # as I used before. I will keep trying as I really like their bread. I will also try the other bakery north of the new clock. Again, thanks for the info....ett

Been there , seen it , done it . The BEST bread in town without doubt -------------Tourist Inn.

Quite agree! Apart from Lman's homebaked of course (but, too much time and effort!)

I been past Tourist Inn every day and it has been open every time. Nice lady owner, she showed me work-in-progress on a new bakery room at the rear, so I'm sure Tourist Inn bread is here to stay.

Thanks to all....appreciate all the input. Not living in CR, and only coming up every now and then, observing Murphy's Law and all....we must have driven by at real low activity times. But did call and got no answer. Same # as used before. At any rate, I am glad to hear it is open and hasn't closed. We will keep coming there for bread and breakfast when we are in the area. CR trips are fewer and farther in between these days. It has been months since we last had really good bread. Again thanks to all....ett