Fatal Accident At Waterfall In Thailand Claims The Life Of A British Woman

webfact

It's been awhile since I anchored off Koh Lipe but I don't remember any waterfalls there....

Yeah...the map of Ton Nga Chang falls shows it is on the mainland, not Lipe. Somebody got something wrong here.

'I tried to get to her but I also slid and fell and grabbed on to another rock. She was about one or two feet from edge but didn't say a word.

'I cried out for help and then the current of water was just too strong for her and she lost her grip.

'She slid about 10 metres down the rocks and then fell over the edge. It must have been about a 100 metre drop.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378452/British-woman-30-killed-falling-300ft-waterfall-Thailand.html#ixzz1K1uf4GrP

The natural feature is made up of seven tiers of waterfalls descending a total of nearly 5,000ft.

The third tier - the one Sarah and Chris were climbing - is about 1,000ft from the bottom.

Fall: The 30-year-old slipped to her death last week after falling 100 metres

He continued: 'There were five of us on the trip and we were going to climb up the side of seven tiers of waterfalls there. Each one gets steeper and steeper.

'When we got to the third one the three other girls decided to sit it out and Sarah and I walked up the path the the side of it and stopped off on a plateau for five minutes.

'Sarah said to me that she was having the time of her life in Thailand and seeing the waterfalls was the sort of thing she had come out here for.

'We carried on walking across the rocks in knee-deep water when she suddenly lost her footing and slipped towards the edge.'

Mr Perry said it was only because

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378452/British-woman-30-killed-falling-300ft-waterfall-Thailand.html#ixzz1K1uXXgnS

Although it's nice Thailand doesn't babysit tourists at sites like this, as is done is most developed (i.e. lawsuit friendly) countries...you have to accept the chances you are taking here. Like that girl on Phi Phi who broke her back jumping into the sea.

post-5869-0-56191400-1303269645_thumb.jp

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She was robbed on Koh Lipe a few nights beforehand too.

Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another, the reason being is that they do not take enough care. OR it's just that type of place. This is another young life wasted and wait to see what actually happened.

'Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another'...any stats to back up that comment?

Not wanting to put words in anyones mouth here but I presume skybluestu meant "many" rather than "most" ?

Young people from all corners of the world tent to be reckless because they don't have experience in life, for instance I would not walk around on slippery rocks at the top of a waterfall but when I was a teenager I would have.

So sad - RIP :ermm:

'Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another'...any stats to back up that comment?

A new study published this week found that Britons travelling to Thailand face the highest risk of theft, food poisoning, traffic accidents and loss of belongings.

http://www.telegraph...zard-table.html

Happy to help.

that is dated 2006, but read the last 4 paragraphs, and just try to keep a straight face.

Where is Koh Lipe? I've never heard of it.

I was brought up near to the sea in the UK and can swim very well partly as a result of that.

RIP.

In the South, off Satun whereas the waterfalls are outside Songkhla

:bah: :bah: :bah:

A new study published this week found that Britons travelling to Thailand face the highest risk of theft, food poisoning, traffic accidents and loss of belongings.

Happy to help.

I would hardly call 15 Jul 2006 "this week".

Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another, the reason being is that they do not take enough care. OR it's just that type of place. This is another young life wasted and wait to see what actually happened.

Well over 2 decades here and i don't know that to be true. I myself have never been robbed and know many others who could say the same (especially if I include people I know who only came for a visit - that would be dozens, at least).

EDIT TO ADD:

As for the study, I'd be curious as to how they break it down and what percentage is theft, food poisoning, traffic accidents or loss of belongings.

And in any case, it does not even come close to saying most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another. It doesn't even say most foriegners experience theft, food poisoning, traffic accidents or loss of belongings.

By the way, I am NOT one of those foolish people who claim that Thailand is crime free and non-violent or anything remotely close to that, indeed I am often the bguy arguing with people who make those claims. But the bolded claim is indeed very bold and as far as I know, unsupportable.

2nd EDIT TO ADD:

Hadn't seen the second page of the thread. Sorry for inadvertent redundancy.

Edited by SteeleJoe

So that makes it acceptable then?

So that makes it acceptable then?

Where'd you get that?! First of all it hasn't even been shown to be true and I doubt it is, but even if it were, where did anyone say it was acceptable?

In the interest of full disclosure: It amazes me how often that sort of lame straw man argument is put forth on forums, and if anyone is wondering why I'd comment it is, I confess, because I find it so annoying. Not a fan of Straw Men and Knee-jerk comments.

You very rarely get robbed here compared to most other countries.

The stats and the FCO say otherwise. The reason I posted that link and there are many others, is to highlight that theft from tourists is a problem in Thailand.

The young lady in the article (RIP Sarah) was robbed.

As the article I linked to states, for British people at least, there's a higher risk of being robbed in Thailand than any other tourist destination.

The FCO also provides more consular assistance to Britons visiting Thailand than any other nation.

The murder rate of Britons in Thailand is five times that of Britons in Britain. Accident rates off the scale especially road traffic accidents and resultant fatalities.

All these stats and many more can be found with a quick Google.

Let's not cloud the real issues out of some misguided loyalty to the country we've adopted as our new home. Thailand can sometimes give that illusion of safety but remember this is still a developing country.

We owe it to people like Sarah and potential visitors to warn them of the real risks.

The stats and the FCO say otherwise. The reason I posted that link and there are many others, is to highlight that theft from tourists is a problem in Thailand.

The young lady in the article (RIP Sarah) was robbed.

As the article I linked to states, for British people at least, there's a higher risk of being robbed in Thailand than any other tourist destination.

The FCO also provides more consular assistance to Britons visiting Thailand than any other nation.

The murder rate of Britons in Thailand is five times that of Britons in Britain. Accident rates off the scale especially road traffic accidents and resultant fatalities.

Let's not cloud the real issues out of some misguided loyalty to the country we've adopted as our new home. Thailand can sometimes give that illusion of safety but remember this is still a developing country.

We owe it to people like Sarah and potential visitors to warn them of the real risks.

First of all, you'd have far more credibility if you simply conceded the verifiable inaccuracy in your post, don't you think? Or even just try and refute people's rebuttal?

Nope. Doesn't say that.

So go ahead and prove it then.

First of all, you'd have far more credibility if you simply conceded the verifiable inaccuracy in your post, don't you think? Or even just try and refute people's rebuttal?

Nope. Doesn't say that.

There is no inaccuracy in anything I have posted on this thread.

The article says "British tourists heading to Thailand face the highest risk of suffering traffic accidents, theft or food poisoning".

From 2009...

Thailand is deadliest holiday destination for Britons

British tourists are more likely to be killed in Thailand than any other destination, according to new figures released today.

Motorbike accidents are the main reason why 269 Britons died there last year, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

The figures mean that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths in proportion to the number of British tourists of any country worldwide. In the year to March, an estimated 860,000 British tourists visited Thailand.

This figure also makes Thailand the country where, proportionately, British tourists are most likely to end up in hospital, according to the organisation’s British Behaviour Abroad report, released today.

The majority of 324 reported hospitalisations in Thailand were due to motorbike accidents, says the FCO, and a high proportion are fatal.

The figures for the report are based on incidents reported to British consulates abroad, so actual numbers could be higher.

On the dangers of visiting Thailand, the organisation says: “Many of the hospitalisations in Thailand are the result of motorbike accidents – particularly in the southern islands.

“Thailand has one of the world’s highest road traffic accident rates, almost all of which involve motorbikes.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article6809524.ece

Happy to help.

So your not saying most tourists, your saying most Britts. I lived here for over 3 years now, haven't been robbed. Cheated, sure, but never outright robbed. Maybe because I was taught to lock my doors, cars, bikes and such up when I leave them and not leave personal items laying about? I doubt I will be robbed, and if I am, then the thief will have had to work hard for it. And no I am not British...

Edited by hpwheelman

Nope. Doesn't say that.

There is no inaccuracy in anything I have posted on this thread.

The article says "British tourists heading to Thailand face the highest risk of suffering traffic accidents, theft or food poisoning".

No inaccuracy? Sure there is. The article does NOT say 'Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another'. But you claimed it did. Then you modified it to "(F)or British people at least, there's a higher risk of being robbed in Thailand than any other tourist destination", but the article doesn't say that either.

Now, it's my contention that your original claim that "most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another" is ALSO inaccurate. I can not prove a negative and moreover the onus is on you to back up the astonishingly bold claim (rather than twisting and turning to avoid admitting that you made -- for reasons which one can only surmise -- an unsupportable claim ).

EDIT for Typos

Edited by SteeleJoe

The majority of 324 reported hospitalisations in Thailand were due to motorbike accidents, says the FCO, and a high proportion are fatal.

People with little or no experience riding motorcycles, often intoxicated, often riding on unfamiliar twisty island roads or among the deadly Baht buses of Pattaya, often riding large poweful machines that they are in now equipped to handle and without a helmet...

324 is surprisingly low number to me.

A tragic accident and Thailand is held responsible. The person made her own decision. Is a discussion of crime really relevant?

Ever since it was introduced into the thread, and then elaborated on with a questionable assertion, responses to that are relevant.

Was their any compelling reason to bring it into thread in the first place? Not that I can see. (But Ober's agenda seems to be that it's all proof that Thailand is dangerous and thus conflating -- in a shoddy manner -- accidents, lost property and robbery is a sensible thing to do.)

No inaccuracy? Sure there is. The article does NOT say 'Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another'. But you claimed it did

No I didn't. :unsure:

Then you modified it to "(F)or British people at least, there's a higher risk of being robbed in Thailand than any other tourist destination", but the article doesn't say that either.

The article does say that though. It's right there, in plain English.

Now, it's my contention that your original claim that "most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another" is ALSO inaccurate

Again, I claimed nothing of the sort.

Yeah sad, but please get the name of the Island correct.

Koh Lipe is stunning, and everytime I've been there with the family it has been paradise, with no trouble.

There are loads of islands around the South West coast of Thailand, Koh Ngai is near, and that is great too.

Infact most Islands in the Aderman Sea are great, just stay away from the South West Coast, below Yala.

Also you can get a boat from Koh Lipe to Lankawi in Malaysia, so get your visa stamped too.

No cash machines on the island though.

Also before 2009 is was only open to the public for a few months of the year, to protect the nature.

It's nice around there. Best way to get there is Fly from Bangkok to Hat Yai, (2000B), then get a minibus to the coast, about 1-2 hrs, then speedboat to the islands. You can stay there from under £15 a night.

See attached photo I took in 2010, on Kok Rokroy, a little island just off Lipe - NUF SAID!

Funnily enough I was going to say that in my ten years here I've only been robbed once, and that was by a fellow traveller- the weirdo stole my well-travelled and well-high trainers. I mean they were Merrells, but they were about 5 years old.

The robbery had nothing to do with her death and I, for one, cannot see why this thread is being hijacked by that. She did not slip and fall because someone was snatching her purse.

Please do not hijack this thread with irrelevancies in order to push your agenda.

A girl has died in a sad accident, the only condolence can be that at least she died while enjoying her life and getting out there and doing the things she loved.

RIP Sarah and family. Very sad and very tragic.

I'm currently in Khaolak on my seventh trip to thailand. I have never been robbed here - and I find that Thai people are some of the most honest people I have ever met. Why, just last night I watched a Thai waiter run over a kilometer to return a pair of glasses a customer had accidentally left behind. I have also had many similar experiences of honesty in Thailand myself.

The robbery had nothing to do with her death and I, for one, cannot see why this thread is being hijacked by that. She did not slip and fall because someone was snatching her purse.

Please do not hijack this thread with irrelevancies in order to push your agenda.

A girl has died in a sad accident, the only condolence can be that at least she died while enjoying her life and getting out there and doing the things she loved.

Perfectly said. Agreed.

RIP Sarah and family. Very sad and very tragic.

I'm currently in Khaolak on my seventh trip to thailand. I have never been robbed here - and I find that Thai people are some of the most honest people I have ever met. Why, just last night I watched a Thai waiter run over a kilometer to return a pair of glasses a customer had accidentally left behind. I have also had many similar experiences of honesty in Thailand myself.

Keep going there while your lucks in. Not that you are aware--you have been robbed !!!! mmmmm. As for the waiter doing 800 meters olympic distance to return a pair of glasses. 555555555555 sorry if it's true but I have to laugh too much, I am not saying it's not true but sounds very unreal. normally he wouldn't do that for 500 baht even.

The British lady - well it wasn't her day to stay in this world-- and as SBK said she was enjoying her life to the end.

No inaccuracy? Sure there is. The article does NOT say 'Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another'. But you claimed it did

No I didn't. :unsure:

Then you modified it to "(F)or British people at least, there's a higher risk of being robbed in Thailand than any other tourist destination", but the article doesn't say that either.

The article does say that though. It's right there, in plain English.

Now, it's my contention that your original claim that "most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another" is ALSO inaccurate

Again, I claimed nothing of the sort.

I am the one that answered OBERKAMANDO who said the Brit was robbed before her death. IT WAS my reply to him that said the true happening here-- ""that most people are robbed here at one time or another""" so why are you accusing him of what I said ??? He stated a fact and I agreed that it happens very often. o.k. ginjag

that is complete and utter nonsense most foreigners are not robbed at all were do you get your info from the drunk guy in the bar in his wife beater vest ?

that woke and found that the street hooker he picked up on his way home has helped herself to his wallet