Sodium Bicarbonate

james24

That's baking soda right? So can get it at almost any supermarket, or bakery supply store like Kitchen Friend.

Will you be using it to bake, or to make babies of the required gender? ;) (Another common use)

Interesting alternative use lol

Its actully for toothpaste but its not much better if it contains aluminum which unfortuantely most do.

Ill have a look in the supermarkets though

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun James24,

Two pound (907 gram) box of "Arm and Hammer" pure baking soda available at Rimping. 100% Sodium Bicarbonate, no aluminum.

We use for silver cleaning (search on "silver cleaning" on this forum to see how), as a "freshener" inside the fridge, and as an ingredient, with a little salt and water, in a soothing mouth-rinse-gargle that is very popular with survivors of oral cancer, and is hypothesized to have some effect on the recurring yeast infections of the mouth so common in many people who have had extensive radiation passed through the oral cavity. And, of course, it's famous for its antiacid properties. Of course, it has myriad other household uses for deodorizing, scratchless cleansing of grease encrusted pans, even, A&G suggests as "relaxant bath, facial skin exfoliant, and even 'fuller hair' " :)

best, ~o:37;

Does the Thai generic sodium bicardonate sold at the grocery stores contain aluminum? And why is aluminum bad? I've been buying the generic stuff for freshening my refrigerator and I doubt it really matters if it contains aluminum.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun James24,

Two pound (907 gram) box of "Arm and Hammer" pure baking soda available at Rimping. 100% Sodium Bicarbonate, no aluminum.

We use for silver cleaning (search on "silver cleaning" on this forum to see how), as a "freshener" inside the fridge, and as an ingredient, with a little salt and water, in a soothing mouth-rinse-gargle that is very popular with survivors of oral cancer, and is hypothesized to have some effect on the recurring yeast infections of the mouth so common in many people who have had extensive radiation passed through the oral cavity. And, of course, it's famous for its antiacid properties. Of course, it has myriad other household uses for deodorizing, scratchless cleansing of grease encrusted pans, even, A&G suggests as "relaxant bath, facial skin exfoliant, and even 'fuller hair' " :)

Thanks Orang

Sodium B like you say has many uses. In fact I read a report today regarding it's use against cancer when taken with...wait for it... maple syrup!

The reports, if you google it go back quite a few years.

Does the Thai generic sodium bicardonate sold at the grocery stores contain aluminum? And why is aluminum bad? I've been buying the generic stuff for freshening my refrigerator and I doubt it really matters if it contains aluminum.

I honestly dont know if it has and like you have been buying mine from the market.

Regarding the aluminium it is quite bad for you, just have a google and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: If there's any enthusiastic chemists out there, advice on how to test for it would be great!!

Edited by james24

Also provides instant relief from heartburn/acid indigestion as it is alkaline based. Half teaspoon or so in a small (6 oz.) glass of nam soda. Add a twist of manow for a bit of flavor if you like.

Use to live on the stuff in my more stressful days in farangland. smile.gif

Also provides instant relief from heartburn/acid indigestion as it is alkaline based. Half teaspoon or so in a small (6 oz.) glass of nam soda. Add a twist of manow for a bit of flavor if you like.

Use to live on the stuff in my more stressful days in farangland. smile.gif

Also - two classes a day before eating is a good remedy for helping Gout

I think the confusion is that some "Baking Powders" have aluminum added. "Baking Soda" aka Sodium Bicarbonate has never been a product that aluminum was added to.

Baking Powder contains Baking Soda plus other ingredients for baking including in some cases Aluminum.

Baking Soda Wiki

Baking Powder Wiki

Yes, Khun CSN, is absolutely right: it is typically in double-rising Baking Powder in which the aluminum (usually in a sodium aluminum silicate form) is the high-temperature leavening agent, complementing the low-temp leavening agent, helping the baked whatever rise.

Very interesting to read of all the potential uses of Baking Soda !

Fascinating to read on the Wiki on Sodium Bicarbonate, that "Soda loading: Small amounts of sodium bicarbonate have been shown to be useful as a supplement for endurance athletes,[19] but overdose is a serious risk."

url="http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/body_and_soul/article4539000.ece"]Sodium Bicarb and Endurance Athletes[/url]

But disturbing to read this re that possible use of Baking Soda is possibly poisonous: Baking Soda Poisoning

best, ~o:37

Edited by orang37

Unfortunately Arm and Hammer baking soda, by most reports does seem to have aluminium added to it. There are reports however that says it doesn't....

Baking powder is the worst of the two regarding this type of toxicity but from what I've found, aswell as searches this morning is it seems like much of an effort to avoid.

http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=22036

This is from a conspiracy site. Tthe reason I chose to post this link instead of others Ive found is that it gives alot of different opinions which seems a bit fairer to both sides of the arguement.

Plus its a very interesting read too

Unfortunately Arm and Hammer baking soda, by most reports does seem to have aluminium added to it. There are reports however that says it doesn't....

Baking powder is the worst of the two regarding this type of toxicity but from what I've found, aswell as searches this morning is it seems like much of an effort to avoid.

http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=22036

This is from a conspiracy site. Tthe reason I chose to post this link instead of others Ive found is that it gives alot of different opinions which seems a bit fairer to both sides of the arguement.

if by most reports you mean hardly any reports then okay.

Anyway go to one of the medical supply places on Suthep Road and get Sodium Bicarbonate and they will provide an Assay sheet with it to certify it's contents to very high accuracy.

I asked the old guy in the small supply shop with all the glass beakers in the front. He has advanced chemistry degree and he just started laughing. Said no difference from the store bought stuff but labs need to certify everything they use so there is lower chance of lab error etc. If you want to pay a more for it then go for it..

http://forum.davidic...ead.php?t=22036

Anyway go to one of the medical supply places on Suthep Road and get Sodium Bicarbonate and they will provide an Assay sheet with it to certify it's contents to very high accuracy.

I asked the old guy in the small supply shop with all the glass beakers in the front. He has advanced chemistry degree and he just started laughing. Said no difference from the store bought stuff but labs need to certify everything they use so there is lower chance of lab error etc. If you want to pay a more for it then go for it..

Thanks for your advice and Ill bear that in mind when purchasing.

Regarding "hardly any" the majority of what I have read agrees that aluminium is added.

Im not really sure what 'advanced chemistry degree' is but considering when I was looking for 'food grade glycerin' in these shops, none of these workers including the doctors knew what it was, it doesn't really fill me with much confidence.

However like you say a good bet would be to buy it with a complete breakdown sheet. Ill be buying it tommorow and will post an attachment for you guys so you can compare.

http://forum.davidic...ead.php?t=22036

Thanks for your advice and Ill bear that in mind when purchasing.

Regarding "hardly any" the majority of what I have read agrees that aluminium is added.

Im not really sure what 'advanced chemistry degree' is but considering when I was looking for 'food grade glycerin' in these shops, none of these workers including the doctors knew what it was, it doesn't really fill me with much confidence.

However like you say a good bet would be to buy it with a complete breakdown sheet. Ill be buying it tommorow and will post an attachment for you guys so you can compare.

Go the little shop that is closer to the neurological hospital on the opposite side of the street. If you know anything about chemistry and talk to the older owner you will realize he is really knowledgeable and if he isn't sure about something he goes for the reference books.

I took 2 year level chemistry courses in college and this guy knows a lot more than I can remember. Sorry can't remember his name.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun James24, and Khun CSN,

Second Khun CSN's recommend of the pharmacist/chemist on Thanon Suthep.

Also very helpful, and knowledgeable, is Khun Somkuan, the pharmacist in the Green Pharma in the ground level (what Americans would call the "basement level") of Kad Suan Kaew, but we do not know if he carries pharmaceutical grade glycerin, or sodium bicarbonate. We believe what's written on the Arm and Hammer box: 100% sodium bicarbonate.

No time for conspiracy theories, here.

Try ENO - it comes in packets and should meet your needs. Available at pharmacies and I believe 7-11s etc.

Edit - No aluminum and made by GlaxoSmithKline

Cheers for the help guys, Ill look into that chemist, sounds like a winner.

You know I dont consider myself a conspiracy theorist but if more than say five different sources can prove something that differs from what a company like GSK or A&H says then I would probably trust those who are not making a profit or actually survive by illness.

Conspiracy seems to be a label given too easy, if there are facts there, even if they are different from what we are told, why do we ignore them...? Is it really just because the more important people tell us to...?

Check out the scientist Tesla to see what I mean

Try ENO - it comes in packets and should meet your needs. Available at pharmacies and I believe 7-11s etc.

You know I dont consider myself a conspiracy theorist but if more than say five different sources can prove something that differs from what a company like GSK or A&H says then I would probably trust those who are not making a profit or actually survive by illness.

Conspiracy seems to be a label given too easy, if there are facts there, even if they are different from what we are told, why do we ignore them...? Is it really just because the more important people tell us to...?

Don't have a clue what you are trying to say but here is the safety data sheet for ENO. If you think it contains aluminum then by all means sue them and make millions. Good luck.

http://www.msds-gsk....ns/0024920a.pdf

Don't have a clue what you are trying to say but here is the safety data sheet for ENO. If you think it contains aluminum then by all means sue them and make millions. Good luck.

http://www.msds-gsk....ns/0024920a.pdf

Thanks for the pdf but may I ask why would you post a fact sheet on fruit sachets.....????

If you have one on pure sodium bicarbonate products that would be interesting.

I believe there is a supposed link between Alzheimers and high amounts of aluminum zirconium in the brain. I don't know much about it, just something I hear amongst my alt medicine friends.

Maybe YOK on the super highway as i have seen it their.

I believe there is a supposed link between Alzheimers and high amounts of aluminum zirconium in the brain. I don't know much about it, just something I hear amongst my alt medicine friends.

It is alleged by some sources that aluminum is used as an anti caking agent during Sodium Bicarbonate processing.

The amounts of AL in the finished product would be very low if measurable but it's possible to get a bad batch.

Big picture however the amount of AL from internal or topical contact with AL from Baking soda would be ridiculously low compared to other sources of AL. How much Baking soda would one consume yearly? So figure .005 percent of what? maybe a tablespoon weekly if one is alkalizing their body chemistry.

Air pollution, treated and many natural waters, many food colorings, many prescription drugs and skin products, aerosols, under arm deodorants, household cleaners, products stored in AL lined materials, leached soybean foods, cooking utensils, Tea leaves and many other sources one would have more contact with.

The bad news is that AL is the 3rd most common element in the earths crust and surface. The good news is that a balanced diet with plenty of calcium, magnesium and Iron reportedly prevents excessive absorption of AL into the body.

Something for James24 to ponder when he is enjoying a Bacon Cheese Burger and it's many toxins like Nitrites(bacon) , food colorings(cheese) and baking powder to make the bun.

Bon Appetite

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

The above post format is completely messed up so here's the post again more clearly:

lol thanks for the good news Cobra But on a serious note appreciate the advice.

I actually went to the shops today and the old guy wth all the beakers in the window wasn't there. His younger assistant was and he didnt really know. I then went to "Union Science", the big one down the road and they gave me a print out of what their 's.bicarb' contained.

Their breakdown is:

NAHCO3 =99.27%

ARSENIC = 0.000089%

HEAVY METALS (PB) = 0.00047%

LOSS ON DRYING = 0.14

PH VALITE = 8.4

NH4 = 0.

This result shows that the product contains traces of a heavy metal but unfortunately doesn't specify what. :-( . I asked and they didnt know. I also noticed the word 'arsenic' ....thats a bit worrying isnt it....?

The final shop I went to was called 'chemical world' . Their breakdown is in Thai and my girlfriend translated to me the part about heavy metals. Apparently it said "no trace found" I will attach both files as soon as I find my camera and perhaps someone can read the rest of it in Thai...

The above post format is completely messed up so here's the post again more clearly:

lol thanks for the good news Cobra But on a serious note appreciate the advice.

I actually went to the shops today and the old guy wth all the beakers in the window wasn't there. His younger assistant was and he didnt really know. I then went to "Union Science", the big one down the road and they gave me a print out of what their 's.bicarb' contained.

Their breakdown is:

NAHCO3 =99.27%

ARSENIC = 0.000089%

HEAVY METALS (PB) = 0.00047%

LOSS ON DRYING = 0.14

PH VALITE = 8.4

NH4 = 0.

This result shows that the product contains traces of a heavy metal but unfortunately doesn't specify what. :-( . I asked and they didnt know. I also noticed the word 'arsenic' ....thats a bit worrying isnt it....?

The final shop I went to was called 'chemical world' . Their breakdown is in Thai and my girlfriend translated to me the part about heavy metals. Apparently it said "no trace found" I will attach both files as soon as I find my camera and perhaps someone can read the rest of it in Thai...

I would assume, but might be wrong that the PB is Lead. Concentration is so low that should be no worry. Same with the arsenic.

Edited by bjohn34

Heavy metal designation covers quite a few elements. Some very good and essential, some in the middle and some very dangerous.

How many people knew that Iron, cobalt, copper, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc are heavy metals? Too much of even an essential element can cause problems.

The most common problem causing heavy metals are arsenic, cadmium, cobalt, chromium, copper, mercury, manganese, nickel, lead, tin, and thallium.

Agree with Bjohn that those are really low levels.

Maybe somebody could calculate how many wheel barrows or truckloads of Sodium Bicarbonate it would take to get arsenic poisoning.

It think a fatal dose of Arsenic is about 60,000 micro grams of inorganic arsenic.

There are two types of Arsenic. Organic and Inorganic. Organic is much less harmful to humans. Not sure what kind of Arsenic would be in Sodium Bicarbonate but would not be surprised if it was Organic Arsenic.

Ever so slightly off topic, but I recently read somewhere that one of the biggest myths in the world is the old bicarb in the fridge scam. Manufacturers have never done anything to dispel the myth that it refreshes or deodorises the innards of the cold box, but it would appear that like many others in countries far and wide I have been wasting my money for the last 30 years, and my mother for who knows how many years before me. I've done further research since reading the initial tip-off and I'm sad to say that it would appear that we've all been had. :huh:

Ever so slightly off topic, but I recently read somewhere that one of the biggest myths in the world is the old bicarb in the fridge scam. Manufacturers have never done anything to dispel the myth that it refreshes or deodorises the innards of the cold box, but it would appear that like many others in countries far and wide I have been wasting my money for the last 30 years, and my mother for who knows how many years before me. I've done further research since reading the initial tip-off and I'm sad to say that it would appear that we've all been had. :huh:

Ive never used it in a fridge but it is also used, with essential oils, as a natural deodorizer for the body.