5 More Musicians Jailed

DavidOxon

I see these couple of incidents with Farangs as being not at all about the police caring what a few Farang musicians do, but about maintaining "the system" and the status quo. In that sense they are not "over the top" at all. I'm sure bars will have no problems having Farangs playing music, if they do so in accordance with "the system". I would imagine these raids will have been followed up by a number of discreet visits to music venues all over town explaining how "the system" works and what contributions are required :whistling: These raids are just part of the power game that happens before the negotiation of "new rates".

I really dislike your post, while strongly suspecting that it is 100% correct. :(

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people should be able to play music no matter what race they are B)

But not in a commercial setting, in a foreign country, without a work permit, and taking jobs from local musicians.

If they want to sit in the park and play music, why not?

I discovered a new bar last Friday

Live Thai band playing Thai rock

First 3 large Changs for 100bht (140bht for 3 after that)

3 Coyote dancers on stage with the band (shorts and crop tops)

15 serving girls aged 20+ all wearing high heels and short shorts (men don't pour drinks in Thai bars)

I really don't understand why anyone would want to go to a 'farang bar' pay for overpriced beer and listen to white men playing music badly.

The music scene in CM rocks, and it doesn't involve white amateurs.

Spot on Post :thumbsup:

Another good new place is Chaophraya bar in Santitham Plaza, they have a resident Ska/Reggae band playing every night Called "Super Running Ska" They have several excellent musicians, its fun and cheap :D

I see these couple of incidents with Farangs as being not at all about the police caring what a few Farang musicians do, but about maintaining "the system" and the status quo. In that sense they are not "over the top" at all. I'm sure bars will have no problems having Farangs playing music, if they do so in accordance with "the system". I would imagine these raids will have been followed up by a number of discreet visits to music venues all over town explaining how "the system" works and what contributions are required :whistling: These raids are just part of the power game that happens before the negotiation of "new rates".

I really dislike your post, while strongly suspecting that it is 100% correct. :(

Another bar where the owner plays live music (or used to anyway) was visited out of hours by the police.

He was told if he continued playing music he would be raided.

There was no attempt at extortion, they didn't want to catch him being naughty, he was just told to STOP.

I agree in many situations the police are looking for tea money, but it appears in CM they just want foreigners to stop playing in bars.

15 serving girls aged 20+ all wearing high heels and short shorts (men don't pour drinks in Thai bars)

I really don't understand why anyone would want to go to a 'farang bar' pay for overpriced beer and listen to white men playing music badly.

That certainly beats watching white (can I use that adjective without being called racist?) middle-aged western men play music while surrounded by white middle-aged western men imo.

Another bar where the owner plays live music (or used to anyway) was visited out of hours by the police.

He was told if he continued playing music he would be raided.

There was no attempt at extortion, they didn't want to catch him being naughty, he was just told to STOP.

Depends on the circumstances, but I have heard exactly that scenario elsewhere where the music was disturbing the peace of someone influential, or competition to someone else's business. There are some situations that can't be resolved with money.

Of course, if you are a Farang who's peace is being disturbed complaing won't get the same result :whistling:

Clearly you are not a musician. One of the reasons I enjoyed music as a performer many years ago was because, as far as the musicians were concerned, there was no racism.

Your racist comment has no place here.

All you self rightious cry babies that act like,think they know Thailand get a life. The bars owners were knowingly breaking the law. This one guy talking about guitarman was bad while the jaz place was different is absurb. A very simple concept in that the men were playing music with no work permits to the benifit of bar owners selling their wares and both therefore were in fact breaking Thai laws,No matter what you say they were taking Thai jobs away from the Thai people that were born here,that live here and need the exposure and to make a living.. Stop with the writing books of driveling on this topic of how you want it to be,how you think it is and how upset you are,nobody cares and it changes nothing. . The guy comparing Rosa Parks to these bar loosers may well take the cake!. Sorry folks but here 'white doesn't make it right" so get over it and turn the page!

. I know you all think you are somehow special and yes we are all so special as God children but here we are visitors, guest of Thailand so stop crying me a river... it is getting old.

Edited by yesterday

All you self rightious cry babies that act like,think they know Thailand get a life. The bars owners were knowingly breaking the law. This one guy talking about guitarman was bad while the jaz place was different is absurb. A very simple concept in that the men were playing music with no work permits to the benifit of bar owners selling their wares and both therefore were in fact breaking Thai laws,No matter what you say they were taking Thai jobs away from the Thai people that were born here,that live here and need the exposure and to make a living.. Stop with the writing books of driveling on this topic of how you want it to be,how you think it is and how upset you are,nobody cares and it changes nothing. . The guy comparing Rosa Parks to these bar loosers may well take the cake!. Sorry folks but here 'white doesn't make it right" so get over it and turn the page!

. I know you all think you are somehow special and yes we are all so special as God children but here we are visitors, guest of Thailand so stop crying me a river... it is getting old.

If you hate it so much, try reading a different thread

Some find it interesting to read about the different angles, opinions, understandings, etc

Edited by PlanetX

Thank you yesterday, my sentimants exactly. :violin:

Spot on Sarah....I don't know how many times I recommended Dayli for 3 x 140 large Tiger....never seen more than 5 farang in the place, and I was with two of them. Walking home, there were about 100 farang listening to an extremely raunchy version of Freebird, and probably paying close to triple that price at the now notorious North Gate.

I completely agree with WTK and agree with Paagai for the most part. A few other posters made valid points as well. I completely disagree with sarahsbloke. And what is this "white people" and "white men" thing about?? What does that mean? There are black, Japanese, and other races/nationalities of musicians that jam around C.M. as well as women; white, Asian and other. They don't count? Some kind of weird racism? I know many of the Thai and farang musicians around C.M. In every discussion I've had with them on the recent happenings in C.M., every Thai musician has stated that they really enjoy jamming with people from around the world and no working musicians lost any jobs that they were aware of. How many farangs are playing weddings, funerals, bar mitzvah's, playing in Thai bars, restaurants, in the Tesco parking lot or whatever? Zero I would think. Musicians really enjoy learning and picking up ideas from other musicians from other backgrounds and cultures. Music is universal after all. That is how some of the styles have evolved over time.

I'm sorry but some of the bands playing at small Thai bars can't compete with some of the musicians who drop in to jam at places like The North Gate Jazz Co-Op. I always enjoy listening to Took, Boy, and Chai however. They are all very gifted musicians and a good bunch of guys. Sometimes I go to the Payap campus near Prince Royals to listen to the concerts there. There are also a couple of well-known, excellent female Thai vocalists in C.M. whose recording and touring days are behind them but they still work a couple of nights a week singing in places like Soon Non Sri. But there are many bands playing in Thai bars that are just so so (like bar bands in any other country). I don't care about 99 Baht beer, girls serving drinks, or whatever... I'm concerned with the quality of the music.

I spent 34 years working in the music industry. I never experienced racism. venturalaw is totally correct in his observation.

Thank you yesterday, my sentimants exactly. :violin:

Wow, the power of positive thinking. Pick up a rock and see what crawls out. Scary.

BTW paagai's post is pretty much on the money about the "system," as I see it. Agree with Winnie, it's true, but too bad. Of course we're not going to change anything right away by talking about it. But it's still good to talk about it, get it out in the open . . . change does come, not always the change we want, but sometimes it is. Consciousness-raising, something the two above posters could do with a little of, not to mention spelling lessons. (Omigawd, I'm one of those writing fascists, sorry, it just slipped out! Speling lesins, anywon?)

Still would like to know what the law actually says. JD, you out there? Chapter and verse, what does the law say?

Edited by montrii

What kind of "all-encompassing" music did you perform?

Clearly you are not a musician. One of the reasons I enjoyed music as a performer many years ago was because, as far as the musicians were concerned, there was no racism.

Your racist comment has no place here.

Spot on Sarah....I don't know how many times I recommended Dayli for 3 x 140 large Tiger....never seen more than 5 farang in the place, and I was with two of them. Walking home, there were about 100 farang listening to an extremely raunchy version of Freebird, and probably paying close to triple that price at the now notorious North Gate.

I think the guys who hang out in the 'farang bars' must be too scared to mix with Thais.

Nice little safety zone for them, OK the beer is pricey and the music is bad, but they are surrounded by elderly white guys with maybe a few aging Thai prostitutes thrown in.

No scary Thai men around for them to worry about. No having to order by speaking in Thai or reading a Thai menu.

Thank god we are not talking about Thai snooker halls, the thought of all the tattooed Thai guys hanging in those places would probably make the people calling me 'racist' poop in their pants. But you really don't need to be scared of Thais, most are very nice.

Edited by sarahsbloke

So we can correctly qualify your statement, what race do you consider yourself and where(geographically) did you work for 34yrs?

I completely agree with WTK and agree with Paagai for the most part. A few other posters made valid points as well. I completely disagree with sarahsbloke. And what is this "white people" and "white men" thing about?? What does that mean? There are black, Japanese, and other races/nationalities of musicians that jam around C.M. as well as women; white, Asian and other. They don't count? Some kind of weird racism? I know many of the Thai and farang musicians around C.M. In every discussion I've had with them on the recent happenings in C.M., every Thai musician has stated that they really enjoy jamming with people from around the world and no working musicians lost any jobs that they were aware of. How many farangs are playing weddings, funerals, bar mitzvah's, playing in Thai bars, restaurants, in the Tesco parking lot or whatever? Zero I would think. Musicians really enjoy learning and picking up ideas from other musicians from other backgrounds and cultures. Music is universal after all. That is how some of the styles have evolved over time.

I'm sorry but some of the bands playing at small Thai bars can't compete with some of the musicians who drop in to jam at places like The North Gate Jazz Co-Op. I always enjoy listening to Took, Boy, and Chai however. They are all very gifted musicians and a good bunch of guys. Sometimes I go to the Payap campus near Prince Royals to listen to the concerts there. There are also a couple of well-known, excellent female Thai vocalists in C.M. whose recording and touring days are behind them but they still work a couple of nights a week singing in places like Soon Non Sri. But there are many bands playing in Thai bars that are just so so (like bar bands in any other country). I don't care about 99 Baht beer, girls serving drinks, or whatever... I'm concerned with the quality of the music.

I spent 34 years working in the music industry. I never experienced racism. venturalaw is totally correct in his observation.

Question:

A bar has a Resident Thai Band and on a couple of nights a week the bar has a jam session where anyone can get up to play sing etc. Westerners get up to play and sing (and there are some professional here). The Resident Band still get paid, what is the problem?

To me this does not make any sense to have Immigration come in and take the foreign musicians away and fine them. They are not taking a job away from anyone, the Band members enjoy the chance to sit around, listen to a different set of music and drink and they do also play in the jam session as well.

So we can correctly qualify your statement, what race do you consider yourself and where(geographically) did you work for 34yrs?

@CMSteve . . . if you're not thinking along racist lines, you don't need to know what race he considers himself. Are you going to judge from his race that he's not qualified to talk about racism? And as to where he worked, what difference does it make? I worked for at least that long as a pro musician myself, and some of it was in Japan, some was at the Dusit Thani in Bangkok, some at the Hua Hin Jazz Festival, some in New Orleans, some in New York, and some on cruise ships crossing the seas, Yalta to Gibraltar, the Bahamas, China/Korea, but most was in California. What difference does it make? I can tell that elektrified knows what he's talking about.

@elektrified, you're right. The Thais do enjoy playing with most (not all) of the farangs that pass through. And North Gate is all about the music, and a lot of it is quite good. And the smattering of farangs who come through, mostly for a day or two, and playing a few tunes at a time, are thoroughly welcomed and do not take an iota of work from anyone. That's a fact.

But paagai is also right. The system is the way it is . . . not much more to say.

Peace, people.

Question:

A bar has a Resident Thai Band and on a couple of nights a week the bar has a jam session where anyone can get up to play sing etc. Westerners get up to play and sing (and there are some professional here). The Resident Band still get paid, what is the problem?

To me this does not make any sense to have Immigration come in and take the foreign musicians away and fine them. They are not taking a job away from anyone, the Band members enjoy the chance to sit around, listen to a different set of music and drink and they do also play in the jam session as well.

That would be the compromise I would suggest to the "bosses" as an official policy. However, it would still technically be against the law.

((yes for some people's sake I still feel the need to say that I do not agree with the law or the selective way it is enforced ......))

I think the guys who hang out in the 'farang bars' must be too scared to mix with Thais.

Nice little safety zone for them, OK the beer is pricey and the music is bad, but they are surrounded by elderly white guys with maybe a few aging Thai prostitutes thrown in.

No scary Thai men around for them to worry about. No having to order by speaking in Thai or reading a Thai menu.

Thank god we are not talking about Thai snooker halls, the thought of all the tattooed Thai guys hanging in those places would probably make the people calling me 'racist' poop in their pants. But you really don't need to be scared of Thais, most are very nice.

Never seen a fight at Dayli--seen several at John's Place, and several at Sbicy (in one night!). Sheers. If I didn't like the thais, I sure as heck wouldn't come to LOS. Plenty of drunk American idiots here in America--don't need a 21 hour flight to meet more of them.

Never seen a fight at Dayli--seen several at John's Place, and several at Sbicy (in one night!). Sheers. If I didn't like the thais, I sure as heck wouldn't come to LOS. Plenty of drunk American idiots here in America--don't need a 21 hour flight to meet more of them.

Same for me,

But it's more than being scared of violence, a lot of the expats I see around are scared of mixing with a different culture.

(excluding the bar girls they frequent)

Now we're talking :licklips: :licklips: :licklips::giggle:

I can think of some great Thai live music venues that are like that too, including one I mentioned earlier :rolleyes:

Same for me,

But it's more than being scared of violence, a lot of the expats I see around are scared of mixing with a different culture.

I think they call those people "Missionaries", Sarah--western moo baan, western SUV, private western style school for the brats, and milk shakes and double cheeseburgers for everyone, and a 8000 THB grocery tab at RimPing.

Same for me,

I think they call those people "Missionaries", Sarah--western moo baan, western SUV, private western style school for the brats, and milk shakes and double cheeseburgers for everyone, and a 8000 THB grocery tab at RimPing.

Nah, I can't tell you how many times I have been warned about going out drinking with Thai men (by other foreigners here in Thailand). It isn't just the missionaries, it appears that many foreigners here are rather afraid of mixing socially in a mostly Thai setting.

Same for me,

I am at a lost about the T.V. sad ones going on about missionaries. Perhaps because you are on the down and out with your daily pennies to spend here you find the need to make a big deal about people spending nickels and dimes? This tired rant drips with envy ! You sound quite envious which is not a good trait at all. Perhaps a little work, a little time reading the Good Book would help you out with your green with envy out look and view of others here..

I would have to say the missionaries help out here a heck of a lot more than some even in thier most delusional dream night!.

My mama always taught us, "If you do not have something good to say..."

Edited by yesterday

At least we have the choice to go where we want and spend what we want.

Aren't you the guy who feeds his family on 80 baht a day something equally outrageous, looking for the cheapest housing and eateries/deals?

I sometimes go and drink 3 Archers for 150 baht in a local Thai bar, I often (most nights) go to my nearest Thai restaurant for a glass of 59 baht wine and listen to the Thai pianist and excellent female Thai singer... BUT I do like to go to the local Italian and pay through the nose for a beer or wine and pizza and enjoy excellent Farang music (currently suspended!) And some of the other farangy musicky places.... it's called choice, something I have, something I'm guessing you can't afford to have!

Same for me,

I am at a lost about the T.V. sad ones going on about missionaries. Perhaps because you are on the down and out with your daily pennies to spend here you find the need to make a big deal about people spending nickels and dimes? This tired rant drips with envy ! You sound quite envious which is not a good trait at all. Perhaps a little work, a little time reading the Good Book would help you out with your green with envy out look and view of others here..

I would have to say the missionaries help out here a heck of a lot more than some even in thier most delusional dream night!.

My mama always taught us, "If you do not have something good to say..."

Appearances are everything, and they appear to be living lifestyles they would never be able to enjoy in their home countries--more than just ironic. How many have medical credentials? .5%? 1%, maybe? Their mission is to start churches, recruit members, and solicit donations. I'm sure there is some baby buying, err I mean adoption, also.

Aren't you the guy who feeds his family on 80 baht a day something equally outrageous, looking for the cheapest housing and eateries/deals?

I sometimes go and drink 3 Archers for 150 baht in a local Thai bar, I often (most nights) go to my nearest Thai restaurant for a glass of 59 baht wine and listen to the Thai pianist and excellent female Thai singer... BUT I do like to go to the local Italian and pay through the nose for a beer or wine and pizza and enjoy excellent Farang music (currently suspended!) And some of the other farangy musicky places.... it's called choice, something I have, something I'm guessing you can't afford to have!

Choice is what it's all about. Re: the post by SB, that was my take on it too. :thumbsup:

Edited by venturalaw

What on earth re you on about?

Local Thai restaurant serving wine ......... ha ha .... that's a good one.

Menu in English?

I bet it is.

What on earth re you on about?

Local Thai restaurant serving wine ......... ha ha .... that's a good one.

Menu in English?

I bet it is.

Do you know who owns Chiang Mai's oldest wine shop? Or even where it is?

The owner (100% Thai) also owns a restaurant . . . I live 5 mins walk away.... ha ha ha now THAT'S a good one!