Thai Halloween?

thaibebop

Halloween is coming soon. My favorite holiday. My wife asks me while we are picking out a costume for our daughter what Halloween is for. I tell her, and being Thai is about ready to put the costume back and run away home with our daughter. She tells me that people in Thailand do not celebrate Halloween, but she really hasn't been back in a long time. So...

Do people in Thailand celebrate Halloween and how?

BTW- If your home country celebrates Halloween please tell me how as well as some of your favorite costumes.

Thanks

yes. in LOS has halloween party .. we get some fluent farang's cuture (include countdown 31th Dec-1st Jan , valentine ,X'mas and sing happy birthday to you song )

i joined in halloween parties sometime but never been in fancy costume... in deep of my heart i just wanna try ... :o

maybe this 31st Oct ...we will see lol (actaully no plan yet ..just imagine)

Bambi

yes. in LOS has halloween party .. we get some  fluent farang's  cuture (include countdown 31th Dec-1st Jan ,  valentine ,X'mas and  sing happy birthday to you song )

i joined in halloween  parties sometime but never been  in fancy costume... in deep of my heart i just wanna  try ... :o

maybe  this 31st Oct  ...we will see  lol  (actaully no plan yet ..just imagine)

Bambi

You should try it! It's a lot of fun!

BTW-Do Thai children trick or treat?

Most thai kids will do their trick and treating dressed up as george washington while humming on "star spangled banner". With few exceptions, almost every home will hang out their "stars and stripes" during halloween.

<deleted>, what planet are you from?

For your information Windy, it is not just an American holiday, it was always celebrated in Ireland and Scotland (even before American cultural influence started spreading it more commonly in Europe).

America probably got it from Irish and Scots immigrants in fact.

I will concede the idea of it being celebrated in Thailand sounds a bit strange though!

Edited by RonanTheBarbarian

Its an American holiday that Americans think every other country partakes in when it means Nothing to them.  Just another case of the US thinking anything it does must surely be done in other countries

Halloween

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

A jack-o'-lanternHalloween is a holiday celebrated on the night of October 31, usually by children dressing in costumes and going door-to-door collecting candy. It is celebrated in much of the Western world, though most commonly in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Canada and sometimes in Australia and New Zealand. Irish, Scots and other immigrants brought older versions of the tradition to North America in the 19th century. Most other Western countries have embraced Halloween as a part of American pop culture in the late 20th century. :o

The form "Halloween" derives from Hallowe'en, an old contraction, still retained in Scotland, of "All Hallow's Eve," so called as it is the day before the Catholic All Saints holy day, which used to be called "All Hallows," derived from All Hallowed Souls. In Ireland, the name was Hallow Eve and this name is still used by some older people. Halloween was formerly also sometimes called All Saints' Eve. The holiday was a day of religious festivities in various northern European pagan traditions, until it was appropriated by Christian missionaries (along with Christmas and Easter, two other traditional northern European pagan holidays) and given a Christian reinterpretation. Halloween is also known as the Day of the Dead, and it is a day of celebration for Wiccans and other modern pagan traditions, though the holiday has lost its religious connotations among the populace at large.

Halloween is also called Pooky Night in some parts of Ireland, presumably named after the pookah, a mischievous spirit.

In the United Kingdom in particular, the pagan Celts celebrated the Day of the Dead on Halloween. The spirits supposedly rose from the dead and, in order to attract them, food was left on the doors. To scare off the evil spirits, the Celts wore masks. When the Romans invaded Britain, they embellished the tradition with their own, which is the celebration of the harvest and honoring the dead. These traditions were then passed on to the United States.

Halloween is sometimes associated with the occult. Many European cultural traditions hold that Halloween is one of the "liminal" times of the year when the spirit world can make contact with the natural world and when magic is most potent (see, for example, Catalan mythology about witches).

Anoka, Minnesota, USA, the self-proclaimed "Halloween Capital of the World," celebrates with a large civic parade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Edited by britmaveric

Its an American holiday that Americans think every other country partakes in when it means Nothing to them.   :D  Just another case of the US thinking anything it does must surely be done in other countries  :o

Fck you and....

Most thai kids will do their trick and treating dressed up as george washington while humming on "star spangled banner". With few exceptions, almost every home will hang out their "stars and stripes" during halloween.

<deleted>, what planet are you from?

Fck you! Both of you are a$$es and quite narrow minded ones at that.

For your information Windy, it is not just an American holiday, it was always celebrated in Ireland and Scotland (even before American cultural influence started spreading it more commonly in Europe).

America probably got it from Irish and Scots immigrants in fact.

I will concede the idea of it being celebrated in Thailand sounds a bit strange though!

If you newbies look around the forum a little bit you might find people discussing plans for Halloween parties, hence my thread to find out what kinds of Halloween parties and whom paratakes in them. You TV virgins also might notice I asked "If your home country..." The key word being "IF". So, stuff the attiudes where the sun don't shine and go piss on some elses thread.

Edited by thaibebop

While halloween isn't readily celebrated in LOS, that doesn't mean that it's ignored here. I had been approached by the head Thai teacher in my school asking if I could come up with some halloween ideas and activities for my classes. No problem at all and all stops are being pulled out.

Right now, I have 67 very excited kids. Everyday, I recieve emails from students telling me how excited they are, asking me how their faces should be made up, writing to me about the history of halloween, etc. There's still 30 days to go! The school has given permission for the students in my classes to dress up in halloween costume, decorate the classrooms, build a haunted house (that shall be fun), and have a halloween party. Though school is out until October 26, some students are going as far as making making decorations at their home, and we will spend a few days preparing the classes for that day.

Okay, they won't go trick-or-treating but, they can still enjoy various aspects of halloween. For those of you that might feel that this is "contaminating the precious Thai culture," please remember, I was approached first. Nothing wrong with sharing positive ideas and experiences from around the globe. ######, I'm almost as excited as the students right now!

Its an American holiday that Americans think every other country partakes in when it means Nothing to them.  :D  Just another case of the US thinking anything it does must surely be done in other countries  :o

Wow ........ How dumb can you really be? :D

After reading your obviously slanted reply, I did a SIMPLE internet search using GOOGLE. :D

Try it yourself..... it might save you some more embassaing rsponses in the future! :D

Well, for more information on this ANCIENT IRISH holiday with the origons of Tric-or-treat also Irish go to http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm :D

Windy for you.....type in google, hit ctrl + enter than type in halloween!

Believe it or not, Thailand DOES have it's own version of Holloween, even though it is not as widely celebrated in Thailand as Holloween is in America and other British related countries.

I remember being at the world famous Greenwich Village Holloween parade here in New York City two years ago, when I was surprised to see a float sponsored by TAT ( Tourist Authority of Thailand ). It was a Thai Float celebrating the Phi Ta Kon Festival in the small town of Dan Sai, in Loei Province in Thailand. Costumed Parade attendants wore colorful masks with large Phallic noses and dancing while shaking a carved wooded phalli knife at parade watchers. There was also a banner on the side of the float, saying that there will be a "spirit parade" in the town of Dan Sai, in Thailand, on June 25, 26, 27, and all were welcome to attend!

I was so surprised seeing a Thai float, in Manhattan, at the Holloween Parade, and also finding out that there was a very similar holiday in Thailand resembling Holloween, I was upset that I was not able to take a picture of the whole thing ( my digital camera battery died a half hour before... )

While most Thai people outside of Loei Province don't know of the regional festival, it is very popular there, attracting people from other nearby provinces. It is gradually becoming more and more famous throughout Thailand. Which is why the TAT spent all that money publicising the popular local Thai holiday in a big New York City Halloween parade.

Hopefully, someday, I will have a chance to go to Phi Ta Kon in Dam Sai, before it evolves and become like Mardi Gras/Carnivale! :o

Here is more info on Phi Ta Khon Festival.

So in a sense, there IS such a thing as Halloween in Thailand! :D

Believe it or not, Thailand DOES have it's own version of Holloween, even though it is not as widely celebrated in Thailand as Holloween is in America and other British related countries.

I remember being at the world famous Greenwich Village Holloween parade here in New York City two years ago, when I was surprised to see a float sponsored by TAT ( Tourist Authority of Thailand ). It was a Thai Float celebrating the Phi Ta Kon Festival in the small town of Dan Sai, in Loei Province in Thailand. Costumed Parade attendants wore  colorful masks with large Phallic noses and dancing while shaking a carved wooded phalli knife at parade watchers. There was also a banner on the side of the float, saying that there will be a "spirit parade" in the town of Dan Sai, in Thailand, on June 25, 26, 27, and all were welcome to attend!

I was so surprised  seeing a  Thai float, in Manhattan, at the Holloween Parade, and also finding out that there was a very similar holiday in Thailand resembling Holloween, I was upset that I was  not able to take a picture of the whole thing ( my digital camera battery died a half hour before... )

While most Thai people  outside of Loei Province don't know of the  regional festival,   it is  very popular there, attracting people from other nearby provinces. It is gradually becoming more and more famous throughout Thailand. Which is why the TAT spent all that money publicising the popular local Thai holiday in a big New York City Halloween parade.

Hopefully, someday, I will have a chance to go to Phi Ta Kon in Dam Sai, before it evolves and become like Mardi Gras/Carnivale!  :D

Here is more info on  Phi Ta Khon Festival.

So in a sense, there IS such a thing as Halloween in Thailand!  :D

Sorry, but there ISN'T

Sounds more a TAT tacky promotion to try and establish some link between Phi Ta Khon and Halloween (there isn't one). This is something that TAT is particularly crass at, something they seem to do with great regularity, and seem to love squandering taxpayer money on. :D

Phi Ta Khon IS a very worthwhile festival to attend :o (I went earlier this year)... but there is no connection whatsoever to Halloween... other than masks are present at both. They might has well tried saying that Loy Krathong is just like Valentine's Day because there's flowers involved in both holidays.

Edited by sriracha john

While halloween isn't readily celebrated in LOS, that doesn't mean that it's ignored here. I had been approached by the head Thai teacher in my school asking if I could come up with some halloween ideas and activities for my classes. No problem at all and all stops are being pulled out.

Right now, I have 67 very excited kids. Everyday, I recieve emails from students telling me how excited they are, asking me how their faces should be made up, writing to me about the history of halloween, etc. There's still 30 days to go! The school has given permission for the students in my classes to dress up in halloween costume, decorate the classrooms, build a haunted house (that shall be fun), and have a halloween party. Though school is out until October 26, some students are going as far as making making decorations at their home, and we will spend a few days preparing the classes for that day.

Okay, they won't go trick-or-treating but, they can still enjoy various aspects of halloween. For those of you that might feel that this is "contaminating the precious Thai culture," please remember, I was approached first. Nothing wrong with sharing positive ideas and experiences from around the globe. ######, I'm almost as excited as the students right now!

That's cool man, post some pics if you get a chance. It would be cool to see what they choose to dress up as. Great name BTW.

Most thais are terrified with ghosts and goblins, and can be seen by lovely houses not being occupied for years because someone or two died in them. It's amazing that they would ever go to a hospital. :o

For me, I am going to celebrate and my costume is naked on roller skates- going as a pull toy

It is celebrated in much of the Western world, though most commonly in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Canada and sometimes in Australia and New Zealand. I

I haven't been in Oz at this time of the year for the last 10 years, but in all the 35 years prior to that I never saw anybody celebrating Halloween.

It is celebrated in much of the Western world, though most commonly in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Canada and sometimes in Australia and New Zealand. I

I haven't been in Oz at this time of the year for the last 10 years, but in all the 35 years prior to that I never saw anybody celebrating Halloween.

Dunno always seemed to get photos every year from me cousins in Adelaide, and mates in Canaberra/Sydney. (dressed up in costumes for parties) :o

I remember being at the world famous Greenwich Village Holloween parade here in New York City two years ago, when I was surprised to see a float sponsored by TAT ( Tourist Authority of Thailand ). It was a Thai Float celebrating the Phi Ta Kon Festival in the small town of Dan Sai, in Loei Province in Thailand. Costumed Parade attendants wore  colorful masks with large Phallic noses and dancing while shaking a carved wooded phalli knife at parade watchers. There was also a banner on the side of the float, saying that there will be a "spirit parade" in the town of Dan Sai, in Thailand, on June 25, 26, 27, and all were welcome to attend!

I was so surprised  seeing a  Thai float, in Manhattan, at the Holloween Parade, and also finding out that there was a very similar holiday in Thailand resembling Holloween, I was upset that I was  not able to take a picture of the whole thing ( my digital camera battery died a half hour before... )

While most Thai people  outside of Loei Province don't know of the  regional festival,  it is  very popular there, attracting people from other nearby provinces. It is gradually becoming more and more famous throughout Thailand. Which is why the TAT spent all that money publicising the popular local Thai holiday in a big New York City Halloween parade.

Hopefully, someday, I will have a chance to go to Phi Ta Kon in Dam Sai, before it evolves and become like Mardi Gras/Carnivale!  :D

Sorry, but there ISN'T

Sounds more a TAT tacky promotion to try and establish some link between Phi Ta Khon and Halloween (there isn't one). This is something that TAT is particularly crass at, something they seem to do with great regularity, and seem to love squandering taxpayer money on. :D

Phi Ta Khon IS a very worthwhile festival to attend :D (I went earlier this year)... but there is no connection whatsoever to Halloween... other than masks are present at both. They might has well tried saying that Loy Krathong is just like Valentine's Day because there's flowers involved in both holidays.

I was not saying that there was a connection between Phi Ta Khon and Halloween, only that there was a similar "Spirit" holiday that is celebrated in Thailand - Thai Children in Dan Sai do play tricks, and parade attendants do dress in costumes.... :o

Boo! :D

While most Thai people  outside of Loei Province don't know of the  regional festival,   it is  very popular there, attracting people from other nearby provinces. It is gradually becoming more and more famous throughout Thailand. Which is why the TAT spent all that money publicising the popular local Thai holiday in a big New York City Halloween parade.

Sorry, but there ISN'T

Phi Ta Khon IS a very worthwhile festival to attend :D (I went earlier this year)... but there is no connection whatsoever to Halloween... other than masks are present at both. They might has well tried saying that Loy Krathong is just like Valentine's Day because there's flowers involved in both holidays.

I was not saying that there was a connection between Phi Ta Khon and Halloween, only that there was a similar "Spirit" holiday that is celebrated in Thailand - Thai Children in Dan Sai do play tricks, and parade attendants do dress in costumes.... :o

Boo! :D

Would just say that almost any parade for any occasion has people in costumes of some sort or the other.

Not sure what you mean by playing "tricks?"

All I'm saying is that TAT are chumps for trying to establish, "Thailand DOES have it's own version of Holloween", as you say.

That cheapens their own culture and their own festivals by trying to compare similarities between theirs and others cultures. Phi Ta Khon is a unique and completely separate festival from Halloween or any other Western festival and one is which Thailand should be proud of.

Instead of promoting some type of homogenization of world-wide holiday festivals, TAT should promote the uniqueness of it's own, before people start coming here at Loy Krathong expecting Valentines Day chocolates and flowers.

It was a terrific time spending the week there and at no time did I find myself thinking... "Gee, this is like Halloween."

But in looking back now, I DO think that TAT is very similar to ends of the phallic sticks many of the men carried:

"d!ckheads."

:D

khao san road has a good halloween party every year. lots of impromptu live music and dancing in the street. if you have a reason to celebrate, why not? by the way windy the smartass, i am american and i never expected my holidays to be celebrated anywhere else... your comment was totally ignorant in so many ways.

Sounds more a TAT tacky promotion to try and establish some link between Phi Ta Khon and Halloween (there isn't one). This is something that TAT is particularly crass at, something they seem to do with great regularity, and seem to love squandering taxpayer money on.  :D

I don't think it is tacky at all. The link is pretty direct and plain to see, I really don't understand why you have so much trouble wanting to see it ( maybe it's because, unlike you, I haven't "gone native"? :D ). And from a business standpoint, what would be a great way to promote Thai tourism than to sponsor a float sharing a similar theme with and at, a well known holiday parade in the most famous and influential city on Earth?

Phi Ta Khon IS a very worthwhile festival to attend :o (I went earlier this year)... but there is no connection whatsoever to Halloween... other than masks are present at both. They might has well tried saying that Loy Krathong is just like Valentine's Day because there's flowers involved in both holidays.

Once again, I did not say that Phi Ta Khon has any direct connection to the Holiday of Holloween. But you can not deny that they ARE both Spirit holidays, where the dead ghosts and Spirits are celebrated.

As for comparing Valentine's Day and Loy Krathong, I really don't see what you mean by choosing those two, for Loy Krathong is not a "Love" holiday, and flowers, while present, are used in totally different ways, so much that there would not even be a connection drawn between the two.

And I still stand by my assertion , just like the TAT and many other people have, that Phi Ta Khon is one of the many Halloween type holidays that celebrated around the world.

Would just say that almost any parade for any occasion has people in costumes of some sort or the other.

Not sure what you mean by playing "tricks?"

Please follow the links to the quotes regarding the activities of Phi Ta Khon:

"First day people wear big fearful masks and clothes and frighten , make tricks to people."

"Nowadays, young male villagers prepare their ghostly attire and masks, while children roam around town playing tricks."

All I'm saying is that TAT are chumps for trying to establish, "Thailand DOES have it's own version of Holloween", as you say.

That cheapens their own culture and their own festivals by trying to compare similarities between theirs and others cultures. Phi Ta Khon is a unique and completely separate festival from Halloween or any other Western festival and one is which Thailand should be proud of.

Instead of promoting some type of homogenization of world-wide holiday festivals, TAT should promote the uniqueness of it's own, before people start coming here at Loy Krathong expecting Valentines Day chocolates and flowers.

I don't believe that linking Phi Ta Khon with similar type Holidays from other countries in no way cheapens as you say Thai culture, etc. In fact, I would believe that such a link would make people realize how different cultures from all over the world share certain similar beliefs systems, so that one can enjoy and celebrate and apreciate their own even more.

( BTW, can you really try to find another comparsion other than Valenties's day / Loy Krathong? It's getting a little tired, I'm afraid... :D )

I believe that even Holloween was not as widely celebrated here in American as little as century ago at most. SO it stands to reason that someday, near the end of this century or the beginning of the next, Phi Ta Khon will become a major Thai holiday, ( sort of like Songkran), with aspects and activities of and from similar type foriegn holidays included ( candy given, parties, etc.. ).

As for your fear of the homogenization of world-wide holiday festivals, As the world beomes smaller and maller and interconnected, it IS inevitable, I'm afraid. Relax.

I'm sure you sound just like those Druid Priests of Ancient Albion, complaining when the Romans Christian missionaries where making the connecton between their own Winter-equinox-pagan-festival-of-lights -festival with their Holy day of the birth of Christ ( which, by the way, was NOT in December! )

But we all know what happend with that minor Holiday, don't we, sriracha john? :D:D

It was a terrific time spending the week there and at no time did I find myself thinking... "Gee, this is like Halloween."

But in looking back now, I DO think that TAT is very similar to ends of the phallic sticks many of the men carried:

"d!ckheads." 

Boy, you really seem have a beef against the TAT!

Nothing to get stressed out over dude....

Just take a breath, count to ten, breath out, and relax!

It's not the end of the world....

Feel better?

"d!ckheads." 

:o

Boy, you really seem have a beef against the TAT!

Nothing to get stressed out over dude....

Once you become more knowledgeable about TAT, I'm sure you'll feel the same or at least you should feel the same...

anyway, I don't lose any sleep over TAT, it's not my tax dollars they spend.