Heat Reducing Window Film

I can't find any definitive answers on this - only conflicting information.

But the fact of the matter is that my windows get the full on sun from sunrise, almost until sunset. The airconditioner just seems to lose the battle and we're all melting in my condo. Does that window film really work? It's supposed to stop UV rays etc - only it's not the UV rays that deliver the heat is it?

So, rather than go into all the science of it all - has anyone put any of it on their windows and did it make a difference?

Yeah I kind of thought that as they are clear, they would just let light/heat in regardless, but there are those that say it does have a good heat reducing ability... but I can't help but notice all of these comments seem somehow linked with a company that sells the stuff. As for what Warpspeed was saying - it does seem to work on car windows right?

So it should work on windos at home as well... right?

Failing that, what about those curtains that have that kind of reflective gray material on them? The only thing is that I imagine it would put the room into complete darkness.

Yeah I kind of thought that as they are clear, they would just let light/heat in regardless, but there are those that say it does have a good heat reducing ability... but I can't help but notice all of these comments seem somehow linked with a company that sells the stuff. As for what Warpspeed was saying - it does seem to work on car windows right?

So it should work on windos at home as well... right?

Failing that, what about those curtains that have that kind of reflective gray material on them? The only thing is that I imagine it would put the room into complete darkness.

i have them in the bed room as sun is so stong used to wake me up but does black out room, car film seems to work but again its going make things a bit dull. maybe some blinds i have them slide them across and can open fully or partly, keeps the sun out and be opened on non sun days

Easier and more effective to put an awning above the window , I have reflective shield on a couple of widows and it does reduce heat penetration with a small loss of light . 6m.m clear plastic sheet on a frame works well placed outside of the window with about a 4/5 cm spacing between window and plastic . With cement walls it helps to paint with heat reflective material unless you have cavity walls with insulating material in the space between walls , cement holds the heat for a long time .

Easier and more effective to put an awning above the window , I have reflective shield on a couple of widows and it does reduce heat penetration with a small loss of light . 6m.m clear plastic sheet on a frame works well placed outside of the window with about a 4/5 cm spacing between window and plastic . With cement walls it helps to paint with heat reflective material unless you have cavity walls with insulating material in the space between walls , cement holds the heat for a long time .

Probably not feasible depending on how high up his condo is though..

The brand name the other poster was struggling for is Lamina film, (close but not quite ;) ) .. Have it on my car and it's much cooler relatively speaking over bare windows, the brand however is not the only consideration but the film density which is denoted by 2 numbers listed on it's label..

Edited by WarpSpeed

We had some kind of Infrared rejecting film put on our windows and it helped reduce the temperature a little but not a lot.

The air conditioners seemed to take an hour or more to have any real cooling effect. We then placed some kind of thin microfibre with aluminium foil attached to it in the loft. That had immediate effects. The room cooled down within minutes and the electricity bill has also fallen considerably.

This same fibre comes in a paintable version that can be attached to the inner wall which could be a solution if you live in a condo.

I am sorry but I can't remember the brand name right now.

My condo in BKK faces due West. I have self-installed "Gila" window film (http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Residential-Window-Film.aspx) on all of the glass windows. They work great in keeping the rooms less hot. Filters some light/glare too.

Select the function of the film (Energy-saving, Privacy, Glare) of your choice. In my case I use the Energy-saving Titanium film.

Application is quick and easy. It gets easier after the first film. See video on the Gila website. (Tip: avoid installation in the afternoon when the glass is heated.)

Gila is available in the US, not Canada. (US$45/roll measuring 4ft by 15ft. Not cheap but it works.)

Good luck. Keep cool!

Yes, it does work, though there are some considerations. I am in a high-rise BKK condo with a great view, but the large floor to ceiling windows receive direct sun for much of the morning. Very high elect bills due to excessive a/c use led me to look into the film, though I didn't want to lose the clarity of the view. After a lot of consideration and talking to others who used the film, I finally went ahead, and am happy I did.

Key considerations might be cost (this varies a lot by quality and performance), durability, the amount of light admitted and the amount of heat blocked. Suggest you get one or two of the prominent suppliers to visit, inspect and make recommendations based on your own priorities. While I'm sure it would be possible to apply yourself, given the high cost of quality film and risk of damage during application, I suggest you get it installed professionally. This would also allow you to benefit from any warranty available with the product.

Gila is available in the US, not Canada. (US$45/roll measuring 4ft by 15ft. Not cheap but it works.)

:blink: What about Thailand :ph34r: ?

Checked around but could not find Gila in Thailand. If it is not available in Thailand, somebody may want to contact Gila to seek representation. There is a significant market for Gila products in Thailand.

:blink: What about Thailand :ph34r: ?

Checked around but could not find Gila in Thailand. If it is not available in Thailand, somebody may want to contact Gila to seek representation. There is a significant market for Gila products in Thailand.

Right, well, that kinda was my point being that this is a Thailand related forum and his condo is in Thailand :whistling: ... Doesn't really offer him any local solutions..

The mirrored (to the outside) film will work as will solar screens. I used to have both on my house back in the U.S. where six months of the year 40+ degree weather was fairly normal. Of course, it helps to have trees out front, too, although that will not be of much help to anyone on the upper floors of a condo.

I live in a condo on seafront near Pattaya

I installed films on all my windows

result:condo a lot cooler;UV reduced

This mean furnitures retain their original colors

shop selling and installing films:take Thepprasit coming from Sukhumvit.On the left side just before the entry of Outlet mall,there is a shop with lot of window glasses.There it is.

How well would an awning stand up to extreme weather? Because we've had a lot of it lately - the winds were so strong a while back that it actually blew a massive billboard rigging.

I also considered decent blinds, but the thing is I have a one year old son, and those blinds would probably be great fun to play with/break.

Edited by a man with a plan

Yeah I kind of thought that as they are clear, they would just let light/heat in regardless, but there are those that say it does have a good heat reducing ability... but I can't help but notice all of these comments seem somehow linked with a company that sells the stuff. ...

Light wave spectrum is different from heat wave spectrum, so you can appreciably reject heat waves while allowing most of the light waves. Thus: spectrally-selective film & coatings. Southwall, Huper... Google's your friend if you're afraid all posters giving useable info are selling the stuff. FYI, I'm not affiliated w/ any building products, just a building design & construction professional. biggrin.gif

...I also considered decent blinds, but the thing is I have a one year old son, and those blinds would probably be great fun to play with/break.

blinds only catch the heat after its already inside your building/conditioned space, and so leaving the heat load to your A/C unit to handle. The only diff is you don't feel the radiant heat if standing near the window. Oh, and if you have small kids around MAKE SURE you snip the cord loop so that it becomes two, separate pull strings. This is because the loops have strangled many young children, and thus are illegal in the US.

Oh, and NOT affiliated w/ any window covering vendors... pssst, hey mister! wanna buy some blinds?laugh.gif

Edited by bbradsby

I have been looking for plastic (wood has too many maintenance problems) window shutters i.e. louvers. I have used these before in Europe and are useful as they can be opened when the sun is not on the window and, even when shut, still let in light.

Anyone seen a manufacturer in Thailand ?