Ipad 2 Thai Release Date

Rob5060

If one has a iphone4 with ais 3g always on internet, is there any need for the 3g version of the ipad?? You could just tether or local hotspot all the time, no? As well as not having to buy and maitain a separate sim number/account... or has AIS got some better 'always on' deals now??

If one has a iphone4 with ais 3g always on internet, is there any need for the 3g version of the ipad?? You could just tether or local hotspot all the time, no? As well as not having to buy and maitain a separate sim number/account... or has AIS got some better 'always on' deals now??

Nobody needs any of these things, though they want to know about or buy an iPad. If you have a computer, phone and an internet connection why would you need an iPhone? People aren't asking about buying advice, as clever as yours maybe. They are asking about info for the iPad.

Edited by anotheruser

Tethering over iPhone works well, and the 3G plans for the iPad aren't all that great. True has a companion plan where you pay less if you already have an iPhone plan but it's still pretty expensive. Best option is probably prepaid. I'd recommend true as they actually have 3G, Ais 3G is rare and doesn't work with the iPad.

The only other advantage of the 3G iPad is that it has a real GPS chip built in. The wifi doesn't...

I have AIS prepaid on my Galaxy Tab (btw it works great for coffee shop surfing and fits in my cargo pants pocket!)

I have the prepaid 500gb for 149 baht/month for me 3g speed is great - but my house is inside the CM Moat and I usually use it here in the city

Why does AIS not work on the IPad?

Here is a official press release:

http://www.macworld....l#lsrc.rss_main

Sadly Thailand is not on the list :-(...

I did ask the guy at iStudio at CM Airport Plaza when... He gave no date but did say May

Yesterday I was at the Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen where Apple was conducting an IPAD 2 training session for iStudio

employees...

I believe you will see the IPAD 2 at iStudio next week....

If you are really looking for a Tablet... Check out the Asus EEE Pad Transformer... It blows the iPAD away

Tethering over iPhone works well, and the 3G plans for the iPad aren't all that great. True has a companion plan where you pay less if you already have an iPhone plan but it's still pretty expensive. Best option is probably prepaid. I'd recommend true as they actually have 3G, Ais 3G is rare and doesn't work with the iPad.

The only other advantage of the 3G iPad is that it has a real GPS chip built in. The wifi doesn't...

Pre-paid is not a good option as the iPhone wifi is always connected unless you turn wifi off which defeats the purpose.

If you pre-pay 500B you will need a refill in 2 days... I am talking from experience... Your best option is a plan from

DTAC or AIS.. 550B per month gives you unlimited wife plus a good amount of free minutes and SMS

I saw iPad2's for sale at Pantip today ... the fully loaded 64GB, wifi + 3G was going for 36,000 Baht.

No I didn't buy one.

I just bought this model of the iPad2 (64GB, WiFi and 3G) in Singapore and paid S$ 1'380.00 (THB 32'000)

It works fine here in BKK with the 3G SIM from True, no problem.

I saw iPad2's for sale at Pantip today ... the fully loaded 64GB, wifi + 3G was going for 36,000 Baht.

No I didn't buy one.

I just bought this model of the iPad2 (64GB, WiFi and 3G) in Singapore and paid S$ 1'380.00 (THB 32'000)

It works fine here in BKK with the 3G SIM from True, no problem.

1380 = 33,709B

You are correct... There is no reason to buy the 3G model if you will enable BluetoothTethering . But you will drain your IPhone battery faster. The only advantage to the 3G model is when you use it independent of the IPhone as 3G is faster.

Pre-paid is not a good option as the iPhone wifi is always connected unless you turn wifi off which defeats the purpose.

If you pre-pay 500B you will need a refill in 2 days... I am talking from experience... Your best option is a plan from

DTAC or AIS.. 550B per month gives you unlimited wife plus a good amount of free minutes and SMS

Good point, I just thought that most likely the iPad can be made to not send/receive data by changing the settings. Turn off notifications, turn off location services, and automated email checking, and it should be radio - silent, except on demand, when you start an app.

I am not 100% sure though - this is how I managed my iPhone 2, then the 3GS, and it worked well. I didn't have to use any hacks, I just turned off the aforementioned services, and I always stayed within the 20 hours usage allowance I had with my DTAC plan for 100 baht. I only exceeded that sometimes when I accidentally turned on notifications and forgot to turn it off - then it would drain my account balance to 0...

I have AIS prepaid on my Galaxy Tab (btw it works great for coffee shop surfing and fits in my cargo pants pocket!)

I have the prepaid 500gb for 149 baht/month for me 3g speed is great - but my house is inside the CM Moat and I usually use it here in the city

Why does AIS not work on the IPad?

As long as you get the AT&T 3G version, which has a quad-band (850/900/1900/2100) 3G radio it would work with AIS/One-2-Call, True and/or TOT (/MVNOs). $629/16 GB; $729/32 GB; $829/64 GB in the U.S.

I have to bring some back on my next trip, not for me but for family. Is the 32 GB model sufficient? I guess you cannot add any additional after-market memory to these things?

No you can not add memory later on. I consider myself a "heavy duty user": both for work and private i use it a lot. This means many applications, ebooks, movies, pictures etc

I use around 42 GB (i have around 8 movies always on the ipad). Unless you are a movie adept or want to store thousands of pictures on it I think 32 gB will be sufficient.

But if in doubt buy the bigger (64GB) one

Problem with maccafethai.com is that that they never answer emails. But on the one occasion where they did, they were extremely arrogant to a very simple price question and stock availability. If you buy from them, beware of non answered emails regarding service repair.