Birth Registration And British Passports

massih1982

jus had a half thai half english kid and want to c if i can get his birth registered and passort sorted in phuket ( consul? ) or does everything have to be done in bangkok at the british embassy as im lookin to go bak to london with my son n wife next year please help im stuck ..

I am doing the same myself. Basically need your birth certificate, your child's birth certificate, get them translated officially. Need photos of your child. Need to download the form from the british embassy website Take yourself and your child to British embassy or their agent (they have an agency that handles all paperwork now), with all paperwork and correct forms. Then apparently it gets sent to hong kong and should be back within 2 months. Sounds easy... I'll let you know.

I'd get his Thai passport done before you go as well. I got my sons in London, and it was a pain in the arse. They've got the crappiest little office imaginable, stuck down in the basement, that gets jammed to the rafters. Most other embassies in London are very palatial, but certainly not the Thai one!

The visa section of the French embassy in London is also in the basement. And have you stood in the queue in Bangkok at the US embassy's visa section? But at least they haven't outsourced their visa applications to a third party like the British, Australians and Indians have... (just a way of extracting an extra fee out of people over and above the legally mandated fee that you're supposed to be able to get a visa for.)

If you want to see the nice part of any embassy, the visa section is usually not it...

The visa section of the French embassy in London is also in the basement. And have you stood in the queue in Bangkok at the US embassy's visa section? But at least they haven't outsourced their visa applications to a third party like the British, Australians and Indians have... (just a way of extracting an extra fee out of people over and above the legally mandated fee that you're supposed to be able to get a visa for.)

If you want to see the nice part of any embassy, the visa section is usually not it...

The Indians outsourced theirs!!!!!...........where to...not the UK by any chance :D

Visa applications are outsourced, passport applications are not so you will need to visit the British Embassy in Bangkok. Make an appointment.

You have a new baby so whether you are married or not (you haven't said) your child is entitled to a UK passport and although there's quite a bit of paperwork involved it's not difficult.

You need to get a British Birth Certificate before you can apply for the passport. If you don't have one already this will entail two visits to Bangkok: one to register the birth and apply for the birth certificate and another to apply for the passport at the same time you collect the birth certificate. The birth certificate is processed in the UK and the passport in Hong Kong. They courier the passport to you so you won't need a third visit to pick it up.

Agree about getting the Thai passport first.

Visa applications are outsourced, passport applications are not so you will need to visit the British Embassy in Bangkok. Make an appointment.

You have a new baby so whether you are married or not (you haven't said) your child is entitled to a UK passport and although there's quite a bit of paperwork involved it's not difficult.

You need to get a British Birth Certificate before you can apply for the passport. If you don't have one already this will entail two visits to Bangkok: one to register the birth and apply for the birth certificate and another to apply for the passport at the same time you collect the birth certificate. The birth certificate is processed in the UK and the passport in Hong Kong. They courier the passport to you so you won't need a third visit to pick it up.

I take it you are refering to the poster (he will need his birth certificate) not required for the child, :rolleyes:

I take it you are refering to the poster (he will need his birth certificate) not required for the child, :rolleyes:

Uou could well be right. My circumstances were different in that my daughter was born at the time where a child of unmarried parents had to apply at the Home Office for UK citizenship (before July 2006, I think). I thought therefore that a birth certificate would be a prerequisite but it seems like I am wrong.

Edited by madmitch