Kayak Shows Result Far From Reality

THAIPHUKET

Kayak is often recommended here. However, searching for a direct economy return flight BKK -Munich, It show LH at 93.000 !

Swissair offer 20.000!! (guess with stop over Zurich, but still.

Something must be wrong.

I pay business BKK-FRA on Qatar air, some 82.000!!, business.

Maybe not wrong actually. Remember that within economy there are still "classes" that are sold at different prices. What you have paid for your seat might have little relevance to what the passenger in the next seat is paying. Its common to see tickets on the same flights, booked through the same source, come up on Kayak at up to 100% more within the same search. If you check further through the flight rules for that ticket you will normally find that the higher priced ticket comes with fewer restrictions or penalties, has longer validity etc. Therefore you sometimes get the type of result you experienced.

At the end of the day all Kayak does is collate the information available to it.

Kayak is using cached results, so the data is not accurate. I would rather stick to a real booking engine that is using a GDS with live inventory behind the scenes, like vayama or what travel agents like expedia use. Use kayak for a sampling then book direct.

Does Vajama include all fees?

2. Perhaps my perception is wrong, most travel sites seem to emphasise the non-Asian market. Pricing modus indicates this. Many don't even have the option for a quote in TBH, which make comparison more cumbersome.

Or can you suggest a travel site which works out of Asia, so to speak and therefore ought have better access to specials??

In almost every single case where I've taken a result from Kayak, Travelocity or Orbitz in to my travel agent, she's been able to meet or beat it. Travel agents are pros at asking the booking engines the right questions.

In almost every single case where I've taken a result from Kayak, Travelocity or Orbitz in to my travel agent, she's been able to meet or beat it. Travel agents are pros at asking the booking engines the right questions.

The value of Kayak is the automated alerts. If you have trips planned long in advance, then you can set weekly reports about a search and know when is the best moment to buy the ticket.

Then you go see your agent when the ticket has reached the soft spot.

i used kayak this time and will be using it in the furture i spend days looking as when in UK having nothing to do as i am only there to visit family, i found a great search tool. booked my flight based on there information £490 return Emirates Birmingham-BKK return 11 months later.

BTW, I saw a web site notice the other day indicating that Kayak had merged with another good site for airline bookings, Sidestep.com....

One advantage of both I've found in the past is that, among dozens of airlines flying internationally out of BKK, those sites pretty quickly help steer you to whichever carrier is offering the most competitive fares at whatever point you're planning to travel on a particular route.

At least in BKK, among the Thai travel agents I've run into, they're by and large pretty useless....and of course unwilling to spend anywhere close to the amount of time and effort that I'm willing to spend to find a good (or the best) international fare... For them, it's a job and not worth the time. For me, it's a once or twice a year trip where it's in my interest to get the most bang for my buck... Thus I work harder at it than they ever would.

It's not online that you will find the best prices to fly from Thailand.

So...where is it then? A magic talking squid in Chumpon?

If we're going to be cryptic, how about these gems:

Two wives need three hands.

A snake never sleeps in a drum.

A stone never greets its neighbor.

Many rivers, one goal.

One river, many currents.

A thousand angry men is less angry than a single man angry a thousand times.

To many rights make you dizzy.

Walk not in another man's shoes, for you leave him barefoot.

Eat with your eyes closed, sleep with them open.

....any more?

• Like 1

You should modify you search, and try different dates which are close to your preferred travel dates.

I did a random search BKK to MUC , both ways, both flights on a tuesday, ONLY direct flight. Kayak gets me Air Berlin at 35,742 Baht !

You need to fiddle with options and be flexible, I bet a case of beer you can find flights for around 800 Euros !

You should modify you search, and try different dates which are close to your preferred travel dates.

I did a random search BKK to MUC , both ways, both flights on a tuesday, ONLY direct flight. Kayak gets me Air Berlin at 35,742 Baht !

You need to fiddle with options and be flexible, I bet a case of beer you can find flights for around 800 Euros !

Abreise: Di 17.5. Rückreise: Di 7.6. +1 Tag (Reisedauer: 23 Tage) 35742 ฿ Economy selectbutton-exp.de..gif 1 Anbieter AB.gif Air Berlin BKK AB BKK 11:40 MUC 22:0011:40 a-arrow-icon.gif MUC AB MUC 15:00 BKK 9:4015:00 a-arrow-icon.gif MUC 22:00 BKK 9:40 15:20 Std. 0 13:40 Std. 0 Details speichern teilen a-trash.gif 9016375ba88833fc3a7db9bb37a641e0

another Kayak search got me Egypt Air. If you accept one stopover, the price for a return flight from Bangkok to Munich and retour is 24,500 Baht which is less than 600 Euros.

If you need help, PM me your preferred flight dates and I run a search for them . . .

Long time ago I found out, when you fiddle with dates, and don t hesitate to re-do the search the other day, you end up with different results. also on this forum somebody has mentioned to get the best prices on Tuesdays and Wednesdays because of Airline management - which one could consider an insider tipp. Kayak offers some side menues which show fluctuations of prices and availabilities. It's always worth checking. For direct flights to Munich actually not many airlines fly, but if you accept a 14-16 hour - one stopover itinerary, it is not that bad and can often be done for 400-600 Euro less. Anyone with a small budget should rethink his/her travel sheme.

Hope this info helps. CG

Lufthansa got nice deals for 800 Euro both ways, but unfortunately only for Munich - Bangkok and retour, not vice versa ! Same applies to Thai Airways. If you are in Phuket, you can catch a flight one way to Germany for 350 Euros by Air Berlin . Go to their website. You can then fly back to Bangkok on a 500 Euro both ways carrier, and just don t board the return flight. It s still cheaper than anything we mentioned here . .