Great Place For Food, Drinks And Music

aussiechick

Last night went to Purple Space Monkey out on Soi Chayapruek Road, Jomtien. (between the beach and Sukhumvit Road)

Excellent place to chill out. Design is well thought out. Can sit outside on wide verandahs and watch the world go by.

Move inside to where the band is playing or even have a game of pool.

Food and drinks are reasonably priced. Staff are friendly and attentive. Resident Band was excellent go and listen to the female singer!!!!!!!!!

Last night was the 1st Jam Session evening and for a difference a young Thai Band called Simply Delicious played a set follwed by a couple of western guys who played a couple of songs with a member of the resident band. Finished off with the guy singing Smooth (Santana) with the Thai band. Made my night.

Well worth a visit.

Another forum's poster says they have good Cali-Mex burritos. Also a mention of fresh baked southern style biscuits and gravy. Apparently run by a Mexican American guy? The rumors do fly. The find of the month?

Will find out for you JT. Just glanced at the menu last night and looked good to me but did not really pay that much intention.

We had some lunch in there a while back quite OK :) Talked to the owner and got the impression he is American. He also has some very nice custom made big bikes on show in there.

We had some lunch in there a while back quite OK :) Talked to the owner and got the impression he is American. He also has some very nice custom made big bikes on show in there.

He could still be Mexican American. It's not a big deal of course, but may possibly increase the chance of the burritos being decent. Not saying a total gringo can't do decent burritos, in theory anyway. Of course Cali-Mex burritos are more of an American food than a Mexican. Decent burritos would be BIG NEWS in town!

Edited by Jingthing

and they do a great inexpensive (half price) sunday breakfast. Worth a visit even it's to look at the big bikes he has. New young manager names Sean tries very hard too and succeeds..

He could still be Mexican American. It's not a big deal of course, but may possibly increase the chance of the burritos being decent. Not saying a total gringo can't do decent burritos, in theory anyway. Of course Cali-Mex burritos are more of an American food than a Mexican. Decent burritos would be BIG NEWS in town!

He IS Mexican Amirikan, I know this because I drive HD's and he is selling those as well. Yes the food is not bad at all, well worth a viset.

Think it's Tex-mex rather than Cali or Mex.

Tried them once --- what can I say? --- even in the Mission district of San Fran, I never found a burrito I liked.

It could be. I don't even know what a Tex Mex burrito is. All I know are Cali-Mex and Northern Mexican ones (which aren't so great as they are typically meat only). The standard American burrito is Cali-Mex inspired as far as I can tell. Look at the big chain Chipotle, not my fave at all but definitely Cali style. Look, mate, if you couldn't find a burrito you like in the Mission district, you couldn't find a Catholic you like in the Vatican.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

Title is a little misleading. I understand that you recommend this place for the music, but I do not understand why you praise them for there food and drinks after you did not pay attention to there menu. For the drink part, I guess its not the only place where you can have a drink or 5. I will wait for Jingthing doing the food review before I even think about going there.

Think it's Tex-mex rather than Cali or Mex.

Tried them once --- what can I say? --- even in the Mission district of San Fran, I never found a burrito I liked.

It could be. I don't even know what a Tex Mex burrito is. All I know are Cali-Mex and Northern Mexican ones (which aren't so great as they are typically meat only). The standard American burrito is Cali-Mex inspired as far as I can tell. Look at the big chain Chipotle, not my fave at all but definitely Cali style. Look, mate, if you couldn't find a burrito you like in the Mission district, you couldn't find a Catholic you like in the Vatican.

Next ...

Trying to find a Catholic I like, is not high on my list of priorities, but if it was --- the Vatican is the last place I would look.

Another forum's poster says they have good Cali-Mex burritos. Also a mention of fresh baked southern style biscuits and gravy. Apparently run by a Mexican American guy? The rumors do fly. The find of the month?

Hi JT this is the answer I got when I asked the boss:

Yes, we have a delicious selection of Cali-Mex / Tex-Mex.....

Yes, it is owned by Ruben Hinjosa, a Mexican American Man....

And Yes we have a wonderful breakfast selection that includes Country Style Biscuits & Gravy, Country Fried Steak and traditional American and English breakfast!

Title is a little misleading. I understand that you recommend this place for the music, but I do not understand why you praise them for there food and drinks after you did not pay attention to there menu. For the drink part, I guess its not the only place where you can have a drink or 5. I will wait for Jingthing doing the food review before I even think about going there.

I was drinking as well as enjoying the music - the drinks are reasonably priced. Food: my friend had Thai food which she said was good, I didn't study the menu as I wasn't hungry but I did look at it and noticed it had Mexican and American meals as well as English breakfasts.

Plus in case you missed it I am an Australian so I really would have no clue about Southern style biscuits and gravy or whether the mexican food was up to standard, except of course my standard. I will be happy to see what Jingthing has to say as well.

How do I get there by "song taew" (bath bus)? or motor bike taxi?

Depending on where you live: Sukhumvit Road to the Chaiyapruek intersection and the a motor bike taxi or you could walk down until you get to the bar, which is on the right hand side . It is closer to the Sukhumit than the Beach end. Or Baht bus up Jomien Beach to 2nd police box and then a motorcycle taxi up Soi Chaiyapruek to the bar.

And Yes we have a wonderful breakfast selection that includes Country Style Biscuits & Gravy, Country Fried Steak and traditional American and English breakfast!

Love Mexican food. Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex, TRUE Mexican, whatever...jonesing for some good huevos rancheros...even though my heart doc would beat me with a stick. :(

Love Mexican food. Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex, TRUE Mexican, whatever...jonesing for some good huevos rancheros...even though my heart doc would beat me with a stick. :(

Don't get your hopes up or your ten baht out just yet. Every Mexican restaurant hope we have ever had in Pattaya has always turned out to be a bitter disappoint. I'm sure this place will be no different.

Don't get your hopes up or your ten baht out just yet. Every Mexican restaurant hope we have ever had in Pattaya has always turned out to be a bitter disappoint. I'm sure this place will be no different.

Now now, shall we give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for the food critics review :)

Now now, shall we give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for the food critics review :)

When it comes to Mexican, I've given up waiting and don't even bother anymore. (I get my fill of decent Mexican on my semi-annual trips to Angeles City.) And getting good food at a place that also sells motorbikes, somehow, I have my doubts.

Edited by Phil Conners
Fixed botched quote

Went to the PSM last night and as much I would like to give this joint passing grades on their tex/mex I have to say it's a work in progress. Management is very hands on and attentive. If they are receptive to feedback they may well have a chance. I had one of their daily specials-2 chicken enchiladas priced at 200b. The chalkboard specials was blank. They were however actual cooked and plastic wrapped dishes on a tray underneath the blank sign. You had to ask the waiter for the price. My enchiladas were decent and covered with cheese sauce that was similar to a canned cheese sauce. Would have been nice if a traditional red or green sauce was available. The frijoles were good though,nice light , creamy and fresh. Guacamole I give a 5 on a 10 scale. one nice touch was the huge fried Jalapeno in the center of the plate. My brother had the house beef burrito B250. Odd presentation in that it was merely folded over versus the traditional rolled and tucked. Kinda resembled a big flour taco. He enjoyed his but added that the beef was unusally fatty. Condiments were a tad light, fortunatly we brought our own Tapatio sauce from home. The house salsa that came with the burrito is quite unremakable. On the bright side all breakfest, lunch and dinner items are available. I am curious to try the country biscuits w/gravy and one egg any style for 100b. The band is good and the decorum is smartly appointed inside. Outside you definatly want to apply some 'skeeter repellent as I left with 4/5 welts. Give ths place a try as they are trying and would not be suprised if some of their other western dishes might outshine some others. Great place to relax, listen to some good music and chill.

cool.gif

By strict definition a burrito doesn't have to be a wrap. It can technically be folded as well. Though a folded burrito isn't what people expect. Most Americans would see their burrito and think they were served a largish taco. Sorry, that's the way it is.

My rating on the place --

Ambiance/setting -- Very cool place.

Burrito --

style, maybe it is a Tex Mex burrito, not a Cali one for sure, yes it is folded

Size -- small (for a burrito, large for one taco, but again it's on the menu as BURRITO)

Flour Tortilla -- tasted old, it seemed to be crisped in some oil, again more like a crispy taco that way than a classic burrito

Meat -- flavorful, not particularly Mexican though

Beans -- in the burrito as desired, very good, tasted of lard if I'm not mistaken, that's authentically unhealthy

Salsa -- on a scale of 1 to 10, a 1 (really just a pulverized tomato sauce with no heat, what are they thinking?!?)

Guacamole -- on a scale of 1 to 10, a 1 (it's mostly green colored mayo I would bet)

Mexican rice -- OK (on the side)

Sour cream in the burrito, gave a creamy Mexican American flavor

Served with side OK cheese (weird) which was there to throw in the burrito if you want

Overall flavor -- OK because the meat was OK and the refritos were very good

Cost 250 baht

Perceived value 150 baht max (small portion, not a wrap, not real gauc, the "salsa" a huge insult to the proud República Mexicana)

The Holy Grail of Pattaya Mexican food yearnings?

NOT EVEN CLOSE

OK, it's still better than Tequila Reef but that's very faint praise.

The setting is great and I'm sure it's a good hangout. Maybe some of their other more American dishes are good, but for Mexican they only have the burritos, huevos rancheros, fajitas, and a quesadilla appetizer.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks to JT I saved a trip to Jomtien. Wonderful review and good to know that the food was far below expectations.

may I ask the OP how much the reasonable prized drinks are? Maybe I pop in to the open mic nights.

I really thought by this time there would be at least ONE decent Mexican restaurant in Pattaya. Yes I know there aren't many Mexicans here, so it doesn't have a native demographic supporting it like Iranians and the blossoming of decent Iranians restaurants. But Americans are also a core demographic for decent Mexican food; is the problem that there aren't enough Americans living and visiting here? Compared to Bangkok and Chiang Mai which do have some decent Mexican options?

Edited by Jingthing