Adsl Horror

webfact

I am starting to get desperate.

When I open my Linksys A241 Router the line speed is indicated at

2048 downstream - and 512 upstream.

But all tests I run show a speed of not more than 500-600 Kbps downstream.

Further I conducted a test which gave the result that my connection has a faster upload speed! than download.

Calling my Thai provider I was advised to check my PC settings! - but I didn't change anything. Is anybody out there who faces similar problems or at least can give an advise what I should do next.

Thanks a lot!

Gate

Same here; great upload speed, but very poor download speeds sometimes down in the 100 kbps range even though I have a so-called 1mbit package. I think you are doing the right thing--ask your provider to fix the problem. This kind of problem is very normal in Thailand. When I was persistent about this, they came to look at my system, verified the low speeds, and announced they don't guarantee bandwidth because they have more customers than international bandwidth available. If customers expect better, maybe they will do something to improve it.

Same here; great upload speed, but very poor download speeds sometimes down in the 100 kbps range even though I have a so-called 1mbit package. I think you are doing the right thing--ask your provider to fix the problem. This kind of problem is very normal in Thailand. When I was persistent about this, they came to look at my system, verified the low speeds, and announced they don't guarantee bandwidth because they have more customers than international bandwidth available. If customers expect better, maybe they will do something to improve it.

Not unless someone's telephone company is going to make the money they won't

I doubt there is anything wrong other than the tiny pipe out of Thailand being clogged.

Paying for anything over 1Mbit is pointless unless you are downloading from Thai sites, the best thing to do is downgrade to a 1Mb connection and save some money.

Simple reason:

1mbps of international bandwidth costs the ISP's 25000 Baht/month to the Communications Authority of Thailand (CAT), which holds the monopoly over that bandwidth...

To cover overhead (staff salary's, rental, interests on loans,...) and to make a bit of profit means the ISP has to sell 1mbps bandwidth for at least 40000 Baht.

If you roughly want to know with how many people you have to share that 1mbps line, just divide 40000 by what you pay monthly (for 1mbps) and you'll start to understand why everything is so frigging slow!!!

On top of that it seems True is not expanding bandwidth as it should considering increases in subscribers...

I pay 2530/month for a 512/256 link (equals over 5000/month for 1mbps), so on my package the ISP has to share a lot less to make a profit, and hence I'm receiving consistently international speeds of between 65 and 90% of my rated speed....

My provider charges a cool 21000/month (1mbps/512kbps) for almost guaranteed speeds (a 1:2 contention ratio) :o

As long as the CAT doesn't lose its monopoly, thats what we will be stuck with :D

Edited by monty