Riding A "Big Bike" In Thailand W/O Plates

templedog

I am about to buy a practically new, but renovated, Suzuki Volty 250cc from a reputable guy

who sells them exclusively in Nonthaburi, "FastBikerShop". The price is 40,000 plus 5,000 import tax, and I get an "Invoice",

but no registration, and no plates. Is this a good idea? I have heard of guys riding without the 30k plus

"Inspection/Safety" registration fee for imported "Big Bikes" that get you the plates and all, but I don't want to go that route.

Many have told me that you can ride without the registration/plate, just carry the invoice, and pay the 100-200 baht "tea money"

if stopped without any other hassles. Please advise!! Thanks in advance, Joe

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No rego, no insurance, you hit someone, your in the can. Do the right thing and get it legally registered, so that you can insure it and you and whoever you may hit (not wishing it on you), are covered.

Templedog

I am not so sure that is a good idea. I think Thais might be able to get away with it but as a furang it could get sticky especially if you get into an accident with it. Also what happens when you run into a law abiding peace officer that decides he wants your bike and impounds it. It could turn out to cost more than paying all the fees to do it right.

If this is any kind of a reputable dealer you would have everything including insurance before you walked out the door.

You may ride it for years and get no hassle at all on the other hand it just takes you to have an accident and it will cost you are great deal more than getting a legal bike will cost and the first BIB that stops you and takes a fancy to your ride you lose it. simple as that. The last time I went to the Hat Yai bike meet there were several guys there that lost very expensive HD's at a police check point en route.

There are plenty of legal bikes out there and some are very cheap at the moment.

Up to you as they say here though ;)

Bikes without plates and book are being impunded every day. Later sold on auction.

The new plate law since November?2010, fine is max 50.000 baht and imprisonment max 1 year.

in addition Insurance issues, no 3rd party = up to 10 mill baht for medical/death, up to 5 million material, if casualty 200k bailbond to stay out of jail, but the above plate law probaly gets you to jail anyhow

You may be able to ride for months and be issued small "fines", or you may not

I don't see what's so great about this deal.:huh: 45,000 baht for this bike is not cheap at all. For that price you could (and I have done it) purchase a 400cc sportbike with green book. A Suzuki volt? 250cc 4 stroke single cylinder? Sorry, but what's so great about it. Maybe if it was a cb750, a gb250 clubman or something interesting, I could perhaps see why...

Hi guys

im looking at a 500cc tmax black edition yamaha (private sale)

It has everything but the green book.

Can anyone explain what is the process involved in obtaining one? also what would be the cost?

thanks in advance

Hi guys

Can anyone explain what is the process involved in obtaining one? also what would be the cost?

thanks in advance

yammy Tmax 500 is able to pass Thai emission if it is Calif spec only, 2 tests are 60k baht fees++. In addition you need all import and tax docs.

I bought a Tmax in 2008. When book arrived a month later it was from a 16 year old yammy 100cc, changed engine to 500cc, changed color and fairings, and moved framenumber to TMax. Gave seller 48 hours to refund, he failed ,ended up at policestation and finally he carved out the cash

Hi guys

thanks in advance

yammy Tmax 500 is able to pass Thai emission if it is Calif spec only, 2 tests are 60k baht fees++. In addition you need all import and tax docs.

I bought a Tmax in 2008. When book arrived a month later it was from a 16 year old yammy 100cc, changed engine to 500cc, changed color and fairings, and moved framenumber to TMax. Gave seller 48 hours to refund, he failed ,ended up at policestation and finally he carved out the cash

Kata thanks for the warning. this one is a 2004 model. 160,000kms arounnd 140k$ minus book. what are your thoughts on the bike for a long tour asia and the price?

Hi guys

thanks in advance

Kata thanks for the warning. this one is a 2004 model. 160,000kms arounnd 140k$ minus book. what are your thoughts on the bike for a long tour asia and the price?

Beg your pardon but how are you going to "tour asia" on an unregistered vehicle? For 140K you can buy a brand new fully legal 250cc bike such as CBR 250, D-Tracker 250, Ninja 250, X-Road 250, etc.

Hi guys

thanks in advance

loved the TMax, close to 200kmh on speedo, cruises 160 easily, fun around town, excellent brakes, payed 235k for my 2006 with 12k clicks, had it been legal I would probably still have it. Recommend HID Xenon for low beam, as only one low beam light

post-81971-0-37153300-1303536343_thumb.j

But fed up on illegal stuff, and ride a kwaker Ninja650 presently, until something else legal and fun comes up

Hi guys

thanks in advance

Beg your pardon but how are you going to "tour asia" on an unregistered vehicle? For 140K you can buy a brand new fully legal 250cc bike such as CBR 250, D-Tracker 250, Ninja 250, X-Road 250, etc.

or a 2009 kwaker ER6n at 180k fully legal and spareparts in every town next day

most spareparts for TMax takes 3 months from yammy Thailand

thanks for the replys fellas, firstly it has to be auto and carry a bit of luggage. It has to be comfortable happy to sit behind buses and not between them.

couldnt I register the tmax after a green book? although 200k$ all up maybe a expensive for a 2004 bike with a few cliks.

Any other suggestions for an aouto bike. silverwing maybe?

thanks again, I have a few years experience riding in pattaya on the usual 125cc but ready for a bigger cruiser style now.

[Kata thanks for the warning. this one is a 2004 model. 160,000kms arounnd 140k$ minus book. what are your thoughts on the bike for a long tour asia and the price?

Or you can buy a Ducati...uh..wait a sec, probably not :lol:

No rego, no insurance, you hit someone, your in the can. Do the right thing and get it legally registered, so that you can insure it and you and whoever you may hit (not wishing it on you), are covered.

it can be insured, i always get the regular annual po ro bo (sic) for my invoiced/import taxed bike

it can be insured, i always get the regular annual po ro bo (sic) for my invoiced/import taxed bike

which covers medical 3rd parrty up to 100k baht, so should not be allowed to call Insurance

a proper 3rd party covers up to legal limit which is

10 x 1 mill baht for medical/death

5 mill baht for property

bailbond 200k keeps you out of jail when involved in mortal accident

Thats Insurance :)

avialable and valid for legal bikes only

which covers medical 3rd parrty up to 100k baht, so should not be allowed to call Insurance

5 mill baht for property

Thanks mate, you beat me too it B)

5 mill baht for property

Thanks mate, you beat me too it B)

another matter is being hit by a truck while riding a bike not road legal, IOW invoice but no legal book or plate

you are automaticly at fault, and since you are in breach of several laws, you know the direction

for decades invoice bikes where not much of a problem to ride, just pay some "fines"

Thailand is changing

Bikes without plates and book are being impunded every day. Later sold on auction.

Make that bikes with out excise tax paid are being impounded then made to pay a fine and the tax, out of the 1000 odd bikers I know maybe 25% on unplated bikes I dont know of anyone who lost a bike, sure many were impounded but released after paying the tax.

Always better to have a book but if you are in the north east you can get away with it for now.

As for no plate bike in a serous accident I can tell you from experince it made no difference and police didnt care that the didnt have a plate.

Make that bikes with out excise tax paid are being impounded then made to pay a fine and the tax, out of the 1000 odd bikers I know maybe 25% on unplated bikes I dont know of anyone who lost a bike, sure many were impounded but released after paying the tax.

Always better to have a book but if you are in the north east you can get away with it for now.

As for no plate bike in a serous accident I can tell you from experince it made no difference and police didnt care that the didnt have a plate.

I assume you know about the new plate law, came into effect 6 months ago. Changed the scenario.

as for non plated bikes in accident, my mate crashed his HD, casualty required the usual 200k baht bail, then ad 3 more bails for no plate etc totalling 1 mill baht in bail.

No I havent heard of the new plate law ? and I see many unplated bikes every day.

As for your mate, I guess it sux to be him and he must of killed or damaged something major.

platelaw post #5, you can ride on red plate or no late in the provinces accepting no plate, for max 30 days and 3k km.

as for my mate, he also lost his expensive HD to impound/auction. The accident killed only one person, passenger in the pickup run into him, but compulsory Insurance and no plate your pretty f-cked.

Maybe you didn't notice the "quotes". "Big Bike" is just the proper nomenclature (I agree it's silly for a 250cc) for anything over 150cc NOT made in Thailand. I know what a big bike is.......I've owned them from 400cc to 1300cc. I've probably been riding them while you were peeing in your diapers,.........or maybe you still do......heard of "Depends"?

If you don't have anything helpful to add to the post, then keep your immature comments to yourself.

Big bike.....Suzuki Volty 250cc???

I agree, after further research, I've decided not to go ahead with the Suzuki Volty 250cc. But, you say that you've bought a 400cc with Green Book for same price? What make/model/year? In what condition? I have been looking on EVERY Thai website, also at ThaiVisa, Craigslist......NOTHING decent in a 400cc for less than 60k and WITHOUT a Green Book. In what year did you buy yours? If you can you show me a Honda CB400cc, or a Yami SR400, at 40k WITH a green book, I will pay you a 10% commission fee. I went to see a Honda GB250 Clubman for 37k, NO Green Book, it looked okay, but needed shitloads of work: fork springs, tires, rear shocks, valve job (maybe even a whole top end), a junker. I am not ranting at you here, please don't be mistaken, I am just shocked at your ability to find such, or your seemingly phenomenal luck at doing so. Cheers! My offer still applies!

I don't see what's so great about this deal.:huh: 45,000 baht for this bike is not cheap at all. For that price you could (and I have done it) purchase a 400cc sportbike with green book. A Suzuki volt? 250cc 4 stroke single cylinder? Sorry, but what's so great about it. Maybe if it was a cb750, a gb250 clubman or something interesting, I could perhaps see why...

I would like to thank everyone here for their input. 99% of you have been most helpful. By the way, does anyone know the going rate for getting one of these "Big Bike" imports registered with a Green Book? I have heard anywhere from 30-70k, and why does the price vary?.......the cost could be more than what I spend for the bike!! Is this a mafia thing? If not, Thailand has some whacked out way of dealing with motorists........especially motorcyclists. (Thais need not be offended.)

[Kata thanks for the warning. this one is a 2004 model. 160,000kms arounnd 140k$ minus book. what are your thoughts on the bike for a long tour asia and the price?

Or you can buy a Ducati...uh..wait a sec, probably not :lol:

I don't get what's so funny. :(

Or is that you can afford a Ducati and he can't that's amusing? huh.gif

Edited by hehehoho

I would like to thank everyone here for their input. 99% of you have been most helpful. By the way, does anyone know the going rate for getting one of these "Big Bike" imports registered with a Green Book? I have heard anywhere from 30-70k, and why does the price vary?.......the cost could be more than what I spend for the bike!! Is this a mafia thing? If not, Thailand has some whacked out way of dealing with motorists........especially motorcyclists. (Thais need not be offended.)

each emission test is 29 k baht fee, most fail the first. mods to pass emission. organized crime unit to inspect bike and docs. the process takes 3-6 months. 70 -90k is normal, but be aware some have payed this and still no reg book years later :rolleyes: