Riding A "Big Bike" In Thailand W/O Plates

templedog

The point is if they could be impounding bikes with fines upto 50K they would be extorting money from every non plated bike owner :rolleyes: its pretty simple mate Thai police really couldnt care about your little kick back list.

As for the farang guys that import bikes they are booked and plated both before and when sold so this law doesnt mean much to them. With the Thai guys they arent to worried and only will plate a bike when the new buyer asks.

Just show me a link where its says the law has come into effect and I will beleive it, but at the moment I have you word against the local main city police station, and 3 bike shop owners and importers and every other biker I have spoken too.

Who owns all these non plated bikes that are impounded and sold at auction daily. you are on about. :lol:

Must 100s of guys on TV with unplated bikes and I dont see to many coming forward with bike impounding storys

you have been provided with an august 2009 link while fine was still max 10.000 baht and 5 years in jail. and you still dont believe it. up to you B)

who owns the bikes and cars sold at auction? the Government, as the previous owner was in breach of plate law or unpayed taxes :lol: :lol:

The 5 years and upto 10K is for counterfeit plates or modifying plates, So if thats what you base your new law on as its a Phuket crack down only,

Yes I think you will find the people that had there bikes taken from them had no supporting paper work to show the bike was legal in the country and or didnt pay the required taxes. Really nothing to do with not having a number plate :rolleyes: but saying that when I lived in Phuket police were stricked on plate laws and always have been.

I think you been hearing to many bar stool storys.

You havent provide a single item to back up any new plate law except your words but are quick to tell me the police are wrong and my import mates are lying. :whistling:

OPs question was, "Is it safe to ride in Thailand without a plate". It used to be a minor problem. It is in most of Thailand now a major problem.

any vehicle not road legal used on public roads can be impounded at any time. no bar stool storeys. just a pile of impounds. auction next week.

The 5 years and up to 50k fines covers any illegal plate including recycled books, and riding for a long time WO plate or on red plate. Smaller fines for riding more than 30 days/3k km with red plate or no plate. And as usual in LOS time is doubled when its organized crime, like a dealer providing recycled books

Sorry, used to have grey bikes myself, but this is the real world today

Did you just make that bit up :lol:

Is this a Phuket auction ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand Forum: Missing Number Plates - Thailand Forum

phuket-1-WfNNCOt.jpg

Seeing Red: A 'red plate' ready to be fitted. Photo by Pimwara Choksakulpan.

PHUKET: Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) Chief Kanok Siripanichkorn has told the Gazette that people driving cars with red license plates have just one month to get regular "white plates" on their cars or face the consequences.

"If we find a car with red plates that was bought one year ago, it means the driver has no intention of registering the car. They will be fined between 1,000 and 10,000 baht," he said.

Pimwara Choksakulpan

The Phuket Gazette

I do not have an habit to make things up. Unfortunately most of my knowledge does not come with links. There are other sources of information not online

Shocktreatment, you can keep on promoting riding without plate or on red plate. I have stated what the consequenses are when caught by DLT, Revenue or Police, or when in accident.

phuket-1-WfNNCOt.jpg

PHUKET: Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) Chief Kanok Siripanichkorn has told the Gazette that people driving cars with red license plates have just one month to get regular "white plates" on their cars – or face the consequences.

"If we find a car with red plates that was bought one year ago, it means the driver has no intention of registering the car. They will be fined between 1,000 and 10,000 baht," he said.

– Pimwara Choksakulpan

The Phuket Gazette

I do not have an habit to make things up. Unfortunately most of my knowledge does not come with links. There are other sources of information not online

Shocktreatment, you can keep on promoting riding without plate or on red plate. I have stated what the consequenses are when caught by DLT, Revenue or Police, or when in accident.

Yes but nothing you have link to lines up with what you are saying. I have never promoted riding with out a plate or with a red plate and recomend everyone rides a plated bike only interested in what is law,

Your telling me that many people are lossing bikes every day that dont have plates and are having there bikes impounded and sold, and if caught riding with out a plate its can be 5 years jail and upto 50k fine.

So the police station are wrong

Everone I know into buying importing and selling bikes are wrong.

I dont have time today but will go to the transport dept and find out 100%.

I was hoping you could prove this to me so I didnt have to go but you havent shown one single thing to show that such a law was pasted.

A law with such a impact on the whole of Thailand would spread like wild fire yet all we have is you saying so.

Just because the PLTO are having a crack down doesnt make it a nation wide law.

Only interested in finding out fact.

phuket-1-WfNNCOt.jpg

PHUKET: Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) Chief Kanok Siripanichkorn has told the Gazette that people driving cars with red license plates have just one month to get regular "white plates" on their cars – or face the consequences.

– Pimwara Choksakulpan

The Phuket Gazette

I dont have time today but will go to the transport dept and find out 100%.

Please scan and post when you find it. All DLT is supposed to have it in English translation to. So I can copy and paste it whenever someone asks for a link. Thanks :)

BTW, one more issue while we r at it, most redplates for bikes are fake, IOW they do not come with the seal in lower right corner. As the penalty for using fake red plates has increased to 5 years in jail, it is wise to be aware most redplates around actually are fake, both for cars and bikes

Bangkok and Chiang Mai has taken the consequense of the shortage of legal redplates by usually ignoring new vehicles not having any plate (for max 30 days). In most of the country each dealer still is using more illegal redplates than legal plates. Motorists are being held responsible, not dealer

For any buyer of a new legal vehicle, state in sales docs when you can pick up your reg book and white plates, should not take more than 14 days

BTW, one more issue while we r at it, most redplates for bikes are fake, IOW they do not come with a reg/trip book and the seal in lower right corner. As the penalty for using fake red plates has increased to 5 years in jail, it is wise to be aware most redplates around actually are fake, both for cars and bikes.

Also make sure you fill the book out when traveling on a red plate, got done a while back for not filling out the book.

The guy I ran into at the bike shop the other day just arrived from Hat yai. Rode the whole way on a fake red plate and no excise tax paper only import paper on a bike he had just bought.

He wasnt to happy when I told him he had better take the plate off and head down to the transport office to pay the excise tax.

Didnt have a clue.

Edited by Shocktreatment

Of course, I can't be sure about this particular ad, but I have come across these "great deals" before and later found out they were scammers. They asked me to wire a 2-3k baht deposit, and then they would ship the bike to me. If I liked it, I would wire the balance. If I disliked it, simply return to sender. Hilarious. But, thanks for the tip!

I agree, after further research, I've decided not to go ahead with the Suzuki Volty 250cc. But, you say that you've bought a 400cc with Green Book for same price? What make/model/year? In what condition? I have been looking on EVERY Thai website, also at ThaiVisa, Craigslist......NOTHING decent in a 400cc for less than 60k and WITHOUT a Green Book. In what year did you buy yours? If you can you show me a Honda CB400cc, or a Yami SR400, at 40k WITH a green book, I will pay you a 10% commission fee. I went to see a Honda GB250 Clubman for 37k, NO Green Book, it looked okay, but needed shitloads of work: fork springs, tires, rear shocks, valve job (maybe even a whole top end), a junker. I am not ranting at you here, please don't be mistaken, I am just shocked at your ability to find such, or your seemingly phenomenal luck at doing so. Cheers! My offer still applies!

Here's a CBR400, taxed until next year, cosmetically looking good for 38,000b.

http://www.thaisecon.../CA9676820.html

I'd be wary about 2nd hand bikes like this, especially off such sites, and would need to check up every legality in person.

Does that final '5' on the tax disk look off line with the others??

Bloody cheap though. Might actually buy it myself as a toy thing that would no doubt need some fixing up in the coming years/months/days.

Oh yeah, my 10%, I'll take that as cash thanks.