Russian Hit By Jet Ski Jomtien Driver Runs Away

Rimmer

Russian Tourist Badly Injured

PATTAYA: -- On Wednesday afternoon, Sawang Boriboon Rescue were called for medical assistance to an accident which happened in the sea at Jomtien Beach in which a Russian tourist was hurt badly and left unconscious.

At the beach the tourist, a man who was in his early twenties, was brought up to the shore by his friends. He was unconscious and there was a gaping wound on his face from the left cheek to jaw. The witnesses stated that he was swimming outside the swimming zone about 30 – 40 meters away from the beach

Full story and video HERE

PATTAYA PEOPLE 2011-04-22

Accidents and deaths will continue until stronger regulations are introduced these machines are dangerous and they are always going close to swimmers.

All jet ski operators are aware many swimmers swim out of the swimming areas.

This from the current issue of Pattaya mail "Maj. Kititat Kanchai of the Pattaya Police Station said the jet ski vendors are also being targeted for drug use and sales. Many times, he said, operators that have been checked tested positive for drugs."

In wrong and inexperienced hands those machines are deadly dangerous for themselves and others ... Those tourists who rent those machine have no idea what they have in hands .. time to act and why not, to forbid those machine . :angry:

But then it would be boring, it would be like Torremolinos.

I would not sit on a plane for 13 hours to got to Torremolinos. Thailand is a good eye opener for the soft gullable Europeans that thinks it must be safe becaue you are allowed to do it.

I dont know why the jet ski operators don't make them sign a information sheet , it woud'nt stop them using it.

You can go hire a GSX 1000 if you want, thats what makes Thailand Thailand.

I don't hire jet skis --or go swimming, I sit on the beach eating food poisoning,--its just as dangerous.

However having an accident and running away is another thing.

of course its not right to run away from the accident!! but the message should be don't swim outside the swimming zone!! if you do you could get hit by a jetski or boat etc etc<div><br></div><div>Why the "jetski's must be banned" attitude, like others say, this is thailand and here you need to open your eyes and your brain watch where you are going and take responsibility for your self, not look at blaming others for everything that goes wrong which is what happens in the western world!!!</div><div><br></div><div>hope the Russian guy recovers soon!</div><div><br></div>

about that full story al the link gives you is another page with the same info and the message i should buy the pataya newspaper id i want the full story

so s...k that

and why in the video they show a speedboat at the end

?

It's because of accidents like this that we HAVE swimming zones. While the jet ski driver shouldn't have run away he should not be totally blamed for the accident. It is very difficult to see a swimmer from one of those things going at full speed, and with swiming zones you wouldn't expect to see a swimmer in the jet ski area.

If you must swim

STAY WITHIN THE SWIM AREAS

It is very difficult to see a swimmer from one of those things going at full speed,

It is about as difficult as to see a child crossing the road in a village if you go on full speed with your car/motorbike. Even slow speed can be too fast, if you are not able to control your vehicle.

and with swiming zones you wouldn't expect to see a swimmer in the jet ski area.

and with footpaths at the road you should not expect an old lady on the way from the market crossing the road on the way home. Please, get a life.

And never cross a road except on pedestrian bridges. I hope you are born on the right side of the road. <_<

It's because of accidents like this that we HAVE swimming zones. While the jet ski driver shouldn't have run away he should not be totally blamed for the accident. It is very difficult to see a swimmer from one of those things going at full speed, and with swiming zones you wouldn't expect to see a swimmer in the jet ski area.

If you must swim

I've never driven one of these things, but they are quite big aren't they. Is it not possible that he hit the swimmer and didn't even notice?

The video news report says, it was the driver of the jetski's job to inform swimmers that they were outside the swimming zone, but when he drove up to talk to the swimmer he hit him by accident. The driver of the jet ski then drove back to the beach, parked the jet ski and ran away. If that was his job, this would surely be an accident. Why would he run away instead of assisting the injured man. He is clearly identified by name in the video, this is his place of employment. My guess is he was under the influence at the time and will re-appear when he feels all substances is out of his system.

The problem here, like in Pattaya and Phuket beaches, is that the swim zones (marked by cabled buoys) alternate with no swim (open) zones. If you sitting at the beach, you want to swim in front of your beach chair, not walk down to the next swim zone.

The solution is to make the entire central beach zone SWIMMING ONLY, and restrict the jet skis and parasailing to either ends of the beach. It would make the beach safer and much quieter.

they should make a channel for only jet skis coming in to shore and out. The rest of the time they should stay at least 150 meters from shore, or some other reasonable distance.

Current situation is like renting a high powered motorcycle to someone who's never ridden, and releasing them in a mall parking lot.

" Why would he run away instead of assisting the injured man." was asked. This is typical Thai behavior for any accident or situation that may involve personal responsibility.

I own a condo in Jomtien. In the 7 years there I have never gone swimming, just dipped the ankles in while walking on the beach. The water is so nasty there it is very easy to get some sort of infection. Ear infections are the most common, I understand. It's nice water to look at, but I wouldn't want to swim there. Safer to rinse your toothbrush in the toilet, imho

Agree 100%. Too much danger for people without training and or experience to be messing with!rolleyes.gif

In wrong and inexperienced hands those machines are deadly dangerous for themselves and others ... Those tourists who rent those machine have no idea what they have in hands .. time to act and why not, to forbid those machine . :angry:

I would not sit on a plane for 13 hours to got to Torremolinos. Thailand is a good eye opener for the soft gullable Europeans that thinks it must be safe becaue you are allowed to do it.

I dont know why the jet ski operators don't make them sign a information sheet , it woud'nt stop them using it.

I don't hire jet skis --or go swimming, I sit on the beach eating food poisoning,--its just as dangerous.

Read again. I think you will find that it was a guy who works for the Jet ski operator who was riding it?

jb1

The video news report says, it was the driver of the jetski's job to inform swimmers that they were outside the swimming zone, but when he drove up to talk to the swimmer he hit him by accident. The driver of the jet ski then drove back to the beach, parked the jet ski and ran away. If that was his job, this would surely be an accident. Why would he run away instead of assisting the injured man. He is clearly identified by name in the video, this is his place of employment. My guess is he was under the influence at the time and will re-appear when he feels all substances is out of his system.

If you are talking about the video report posted here. It say's that the jet ski drivers job was to encourage people to ride on the Banana boat??

jb1

If you must swim

Agree.

Guess when you look how many foreigners are getting drunk and do stupid things, it's predictable that accidents occur.:jap:

yes, a few days to clean up with no additional charges! Amazing Boobs! (o)(o)

Listen to the video. He was was hit by an employee of the jet ski vendor who was trying to show off and get tourists to ride the banana boat he was pulling. He was going closer and closer to shore to attract more customers.

This is not an inexperienced jet ski driver...but the Russian should know better than swim outside the designated swim zone.

The problem here, like in Pattaya and Phuket beaches, is that the swim zones (marked by cabled buoys) alternate with no swim (open) zones. If you sitting at the beach, you want to swim in front of your beach chair, not walk down to the next swim zone.

The solution is to make the entire central beach zone SWIMMING ONLY, and restrict the jet skis and parasailing to either ends of the beach. It would make the beach safer and much quieter.

Right, as Soichiro Honda said: "First the man, then the machine.". And it also would improve the noise level on the beach.

If you must swim

I've never driven one of these things, but they are quite big aren't they. Is it not possible that he hit the swimmer and didn't even notice?

Yea, never noticed he ran that guy over....and it was just probably the end of his shift and he ran home like he does every day.

Edited by pauljones

I stayed at soi 14 Jomtien @ the Furama hotel from Friday until Wednesday... First off, there is no "Designated swimming area". I was also swimming at this beach, and the banana boat drivers get really close to shore... Dumping their passengers in water that they can stand in... My girlfriend even talked to the passengers asking them how much it costs to ride.