Thai And Cambodian Troops Clash Again

webfact

In my village six young men had been caught yesterday night when looting (rubber sheets) and sent to prison, awaiting their judgement in between 15 days. ...somm namm nah

fatfather

So they will be taking the normal course of action then, having their heads shaved and turning into saffron robed leaches.

Back on topic...... still quiet, hopefully it's going to be a slow news day.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A TV team is preparing its cameras and will leave soon... when will fighting start? ~half hour drive, ~half hour to get ready and here we go.... lets wait, it is now 07.15

keep us up to date and please post immediatelly after they have left the resort today.

so we have a 30 minute window to prepare.

Very strange these reports from within the Thai army personnel about when the action is to be re-started , cannot get much closer the the truth of the matter than that concerning who fires the first shot . Thai report no damage to civilian housing , Cambodians show photos of damaged/destroyed civilian housing , what and whom can one objectively comment on these facts as presented by those on the front line , as apposed to those sitting in an arm chair far enough removed to not personally observe and hear any thing of true worth to report ?

This matter is too serious to be wearing rose tinted spectacles , using selective thought and hearing to denigrate on a whim , just because the truth eludes them . One day in the not too distant future , this ilk of poster will be using hind-sight in their posts , after all , is that not classified as perfect ?

Maybe the Cambodian generals and politicians are just a wee bit better at soliciting foreign sympathy. Mind you the 'RTA used chemical weapons' was really overdone, the 'burned a logger alive' was not much better. Very interesting is that at least two Khmer websites I know (thanks to member HighCommand) don't show anything from the recent clash, most is regarding the February clashes (mediakh.net/news/ , www.khmerarticle.com/). Of course big show on 'cluster weapons', 'Thai military junta'.

Propaganda, not just for the amateurs ;)

The two websites you link to are not exactly news sources. More like extremely biased amateur Khmer blogs. One hasn't even updated the news section since february.. If you look at actual Khmer newspapers they cover this all day every day.

Kampuchea Thmey Newspaper

Koh Santepheap Daily Newspaper

Then there's the country's biggest English speaking newspaper

The Phnom Penh Post

It's a Monday-Friday paper, so they're not big on updating the online version on the weekends, but they did report the skirmish on Friday.

The two websites you link to are not exactly news sources. More like extremely biased amateur Khmer blogs. One hasn't even updated the news section since february.. If you look at actual Khmer newspapers they cover this all day every day.

The Phnom Penh Post

It's a Monday-Friday paper, so they're not big on updating the online version on the weekends, but they did report the skirmish on Friday.

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look.

BTW as I indicated the two I quoted I got thanks to Oberkommando. I'm really surprised to see them described as 'extremely biased amateur Khmer'. Who would have thought ;)

Edited by rubl

No shelling today. Reports of small arms fire, not sure where. But ,the last 15 minutes Thai air force , (I think) flying overhead. More than one plane,possibly. Flying too high to see. Also, 80 % cloud cover ,so cannot see them ,can only hear.Finished now.

The Phnom Penh Post

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look.

BTW as I indicated the two I quoted I got thanks to Oberkommando. I'm really surprised to see them described as 'extremely biased amateur Khmer'. Who would have thought ;)

The two articles I posted were just English translations of original articles in Khmer from the mainstream media.

Important:

Please do not discuss the specifics of troop deployments, or give any identifying information about any units in your posts. Any such posts will be deleted without further notice.

Please keep this topic informational so that people in the area can make informed decisions for their own safety and that of their families. Discussing the politics of the story can be done elsewhere.

Thanks

Some posts have been deleted.

It just started up again.... (sigh...)

7:30 - From my perspective explosions seem deeper into Cambodia. How about where you are from HappyDavid?

edit - I might add very intermittent but definitely artillery.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

It just started up again.... (sigh...)

From my perspective explosions seem deeper into Cambodia. How about where you are from HappyDavid?

Yes, they were farther away, now perhaps comming closer? I Dunno... hard to say. Not shaking the hell out of the windows like yesterday.

Big flashes to the south similar to quick flash of lightning. I think hitting locations at lower elevations in Cambodia so the sound is more muffled. Seem somewhat east of the Temple. Some big ones over the last couple of minutes.

edit - see about twice as many flashes as the sound of explosions so either lower elevations or the wind has changed. But I do not feel any wind at all here.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Big flashes to the south similar to quick flash of lightning. I think hitting locations at lower elevations in Cambodia so the sound is more muffled. Seem somewhat east of the Temple. Some big ones over the last couple of minutes.

edit - see about twice as many flashes as the sound of explosions so either lower elevations or the wind has changed. But I do not feel any wind at all here.

Very difficult from where I am to tell what is going on. Surrounded by thunder storms, one bang seems like another.

Very quiet now. The air is absolutely still. The flashes I watched were not lightning but more like a flashbulb. Most were to the east of the temple. After reading http://www.thaivisa....90#entry4379690 I believe I was correct as to the lower elevation shelling.

Just saw the post above small weapons fire or artillery? Do not hear anything here.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Big explosion to the east but very intermittent. NOT over yet apparently.

Edit - By the east I mean east of the temple which was the original confrontation point.

If I had to guess I would think most was outgoing.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

I have been noticing very odd Green movements and activities where I am which I have never seen before. And I am on the opposite side of the country. Trains were involved if I can say that without getting barred. I guess forward / contingency planning. Very odd indeed. :ph34r:

All is quiet now both flash wise and sound wise. I am taking a big breath and relaxing now.

edit - I am not close enough to hear gunfire but artillery has subsided.

Do you plan to wait till you smell cordite before you get out of there ?

I have been noticing very odd Green movements and activities where I am which I have never seen before. And I am on the opposite side of the country. Trains were involved if I can say that without getting barred. I guess forward / contingency planning. Very odd indeed. :ph34r:

Among other things last week I saw what looked like some kind of special forces ride past the local cinema in Bangkok on quad bikes! Never seen them on the streets of Bangkok before. Anything is possible in the land of smiles and coups. Hope this post doesn't mean the army have to make a further denial that there will be a coup.

Among other things last week I saw what looked like some kind of special forces ride past the local cinema in Bangkok on quad bikes! Never seen them on the streets of Bangkok before. Anything is possible in the land of smiles and coups. Hope this post doesn't mean the army have to make a further denial that there will be a coup.

maybe someone tries to rename a coup into something like a national security measures because they're at war with the biggest designed enemy?

maybe someone tries to rename a coup into something like a national security measures because they're at war with the biggest designed enemy?

Yep. Expected. And shouldn't surprise anyone, will it?

No it is getting more of a concern.

Wife just spoke to family in centre of town in Ban Kruat and they have been told to get packed and if required ready to leave at short notice.

Its a precaution at this stage but still causes a lot of concern to all involved.

The concern is the Cambodians are easily able to move into the jungle as the firing has been mostly all one way up until now.

A lot of people are already displaced and the situation is not getting better for those closley effected.

I think it is over now. I will correct myself if I am wrong.

No it is getting more of a concern.

Wife just spoke to family in centre of town in Ban Kruat and they have been told to get packed and if required ready to leave at short notice.

Its a precaution at this stage but still causes a lot of concern to all involved.

The concern is the Cambodians are easily able to move into the jungle as the firing has been mostly all one way up until now.

A lot of people are already displaced and the situation is not getting better for those closley effected.

I think it is over now. I will correct myself if I am wrong.

The firing was which way???