Thai And Cambodian Troops Clash Again

webfact

Cambodians here in general are calm about the goings on at the border , no resentment toward Thai living here , news is however that Thai army has fired poisonous gas shells and more cluster bombs in an effort to rescue some Thai troops who are injured inside Cambodia .

I hope your "news" is inaccurate. I do not believe that the Thai army would even think of using poisonous gas or cluster bombs. And why would there be Thai troop inside Cambodia? Again, this is just all about the MONEY from tourist to the temple there. Greedy people on both sides think THEY should get it. Diplomacy has failed and that probably means that corruption will remain prominent in the politics. Aagh.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother of GF, who lives in Ban Kruat, had shells landing in his property yesterday......

absolutely NO shells in Ban Kruat......please do not spread panic

we have already enough problems here

After trying to call all day (I'm currently in Vietnam), I've finally just managed to get in touch with my family.

Most of my family (women and children) have been evacuated from Ban Kruat because of the shelling. My father-in-law, who has remained at home, told me that our local butcher shop is no more as a shell landed on it.

My house is not in Ban Kruat town/village but I live just down the road. Regardless, it is still Ban Kruat!

You say you have enough problems already. What are those problems if not from the shelling?

here we go again.......just down the road....is that 20 km down the road?

panic attacks ....again.....

i really do not know if we are on the same planet...

please ask member "afarang" who is living in the center of ban kruat, he may confirm "local-butcher-shop-shell-impacts"

because i cannot.

actually i've had a pleasant day directly in the market of ban kruat.

the MOST EXCITING action today was a helicopter landing on a football field (on purpose)

but please....don't take my words too serious.....at the end "I" am the guy spreading life endangering panic again

EDIT:

i also cannot confirm ANY evacuation procedures in Ban Kruat.

there is a difference between an organised evacuation and running away by yourself

Edited by Ricci

Again, this is just all about the MONEY from tourist to the temple there.

Oh, I don't know. As soon as everything's settled down, when both parties agree on a compromise, the oil and gas drilling rigs will finally move in. The population of Phanomdongruk will skyrocket, the guy at the "Village Makro" (who always gives me that look) will make out with a fortune, and the wife and I can finally sell our home in A. Tamiang for a tidy profit.

Brother of GF, who lives in Ban Kruat, had shells landing in his property yesterday......

absolutely NO shells in Ban Kruat......please do not spread panic

we have already enough problems here

After trying to call all day (I'm currently in Vietnam), I've finally just managed to get in touch with my family.

Most of my family (women and children) have been evacuated from Ban Kruat because of the shelling. My father-in-law, who has remained at home, told me that our local butcher shop is no more as a shell landed on it.

My house is not in Ban Kruat town/village but I live just down the road. Regardless, it is still Ban Kruat!

You say you have enough problems already. What are those problems if not from the shelling?

here we go again.......just down the road....is that 20 km down the road?

panic attacks ....again.....

i really do not know if we are on the same planet...

please ask member "afarang" who is living in the center of ban kruat, he may confirm "local-butcher-shop-shell-impacts"

because i cannot.

actually i've had a pleasant day directly in the market of ban kruat.

the MOST EXCITING action today was a helicopter landing on a football field (on purpose)

but please....don't take my words too serious.....at the end "I" am the guy spreading life endangering panic again

EDIT:

i also cannot confirm ANY evacuation procedures in Ban Kruat.

there is a difference between an organised evacuation and running away by yourself

Ricci, Ricci, Ricci,

Nice attempt at flaming (there is a difference between an organised evacuation and running away by yourself).

This was an organised evacuation. The military arrived with buses and ordered all women and children to leave. Men were permitted to stay in order to guard against looting.

You may claim that Ban Kruat is safe but everyone was taken to Non Charoem.

Oh, and our place is 18kms from Ban Kruat town, according to my odometer. As far as I'm concerned, that is 'just down the road'.

Ricci, Ricci, Ricci,

Nice attempt at flaming (there is a difference between an organised evacuation and running away by yourself).

This was an organised evacuation. The military arrived with buses and ordered all women and children to leave. Men were permitted to stay in order to guard against looting.

You may claim that Ban Kruat is safe but everyone was taken to Non Charoem.

Oh, and our place is 18kms from Ban Kruat town, according to my odometer. As far as I'm concerned, that is 'just down the road'.

18 km away from Ban Kruat city IS NOT Ban Kruat city.....

to the north you are nearly in Prakhon Chai

to the south you are in Cambodia

to the east you are near the Ban Ta Mieng

to the west you are near Ban Ta Chong

you are talking about an area of 1000 square kilometers.......perhaps you mean ampoeh Ban Kruat...

Non Charoen is a tamboon of Ban Kruat

Most of my family (women and children) have been evacuated from Ban Kruat because of the shelling

Your words, right?

so....if you are referring to Ban Kruat as the Ampoeh....which you mean when you are 18 km away from the city....your family was brought to Non Charoen....which STILL is ampoeh Ban Kruat. So they haven't been taken away from Ban Kruat....they are still in Ban Kruat (ampoeh)

and....if you are referring to Ban Kruat as the city.....there was no evac at all.

you....writing confusing or incorrect content.....doesn't make me a flamer

:rolleyes:

Thai and Cambodian troops clash again at Ta Muen Thom temple in Surin; locals evacuated /TAN_Network

I guess I'm replying rather late, but I've been frazzled by the return fire of The Thai Army who are camped in My Village about 1Km from Baan Korika, subvillage of Baan Ampeun

I arrived Back from a quick trip to Bangkok at 6:25am this [sat] am, no sooner had I arrived home then I heard the local fighting from the Ta Meun Temple area, a few moments later there was a horrendous explosion from about 3-500 Metres to the North of where I was, I quickly assertained the Thai Army had placed Tanks and Heavy Artillery At a Temple just across the fields from my House, there was a continuing Barrage of Heavy fire from 6:30am every 10 seconds or so until a cease fire at 9am or thereabouts, There has been only one or two villagers and myself here all day, I guess if the Firing starts up again in the morning they will leave again.

Just to place my position, I am 4km's from Baan Run, at Baan Korika - Ampeun and 13Km's from the Ta Muen Group of Temple ruins where just last week, hundreds of Cambodian's and Thai's mingled peacefully During the Sonkram festivities of the last week.

If you crave excitement! come visit.

Kiwijor.

I do not believe that the Thai army would even think of using poisonous gas or cluster bombs.

The Thai army has already admitted using cluster bombs.

They initially outright denied it and after government officials admitted it the Thai military made the excuse that they don't classify them as cluster munitions.

Slowly and surely people are wakening up to what this mob are all about.

Well my inlaws are about 800 yards away from bankruat hospital as the crow flys and i can assure you they aint been asked to move, dont know about tomorrow though ?

Dont spread panic, just be informend, i know it is all a bit like " he said this, this is what might happen, etc" it might look like a point scoring exercise on here for some....but keep it factual please...hope they dont start again in the morning like today........shaking the house and roof tiles

I do not believe that the Thai army would even think of using poisonous gas or cluster bombs.

The Thai army has already admitted using cluster bombs.

They initially outright denied it and after government officials admitted it the Thai military made the excuse that they don't classify them as cluster munitions.

A very abbreviated quote which is also a wee bit misleading methinks. The original is

Cambodians here in general are calm about the goings on at the border , no resentment toward Thai living here , news is however that Thai army has fired poisonous gas shells and more cluster bombs in an effort to rescue some Thai troops who are injured inside Cambodia .

I hope your "news" is inaccurate. I do not believe that the Thai army would even think of using poisonous gas or cluster bombs. And why would there be Thai troop inside Cambodia? Again, this is just all about the MONEY from tourist to the temple there. Greedy people on both sides think THEY should get it. Diplomacy has failed and that probably means that corruption will remain prominent in the politics. Aagh.

Obviously, they're not. As this mob has been running the show for several decades.

"Mob"? Please try to give a somewhat better description of this 'mob'. If possible in a way which does not insult the Royal Thai Forces, Royal Thai Police Force, etc., etc. Should be possible to stay within bounds given by forum rules ;)

Obviously, they're not. As this mob has been running the show for several decades.

I for the life of me cannot understand why Western educated people that should know better, and who's fathers and grandfathers and great grandfathers fought against such tyranny, continue to defend and even support the Thai military in their actions.

Just another pointless ego-trip from the bloated (in every sense of the word) Thai senior officer corps. I suppose that every now and then, they need to justify their existence and their huge budget. I expect even now, they're doodling-away with designs for a new "Victory" Monument...

^^ The point is moot because they have already by their own admission used cluster munitions!

And you are attempting to defend these people???

The mind boggles.

As member Dumball wrote "news is however that Thai army has fired poisonous gas shells and more cluster bombs in an effort to rescue some Thai troops who are injured inside Cambodia ." No source for the news. Personally I think the suggestion 'poisonous gas shells' a ridiculous rumour and 'cluster bombs' very unlikely as the RTA took some flack last time.

I neither defend nor accuse. I'm still in a situation of 'insufficient data'. All I've got till now is unconfirmed rumours. Unlike you I do not automatically believe anything said against the RTA or Thai government, not even against PTP and red-shirts.

Edited by rubl

I for the life of me cannot understand why Western educated people that should know better, and who's fathers and grandfathers and great grandfathers fought against such tyranny, continue to defend and even support the Thai military in their actions.

Given your posting history I'm not even going to try to explain why the current situation is not so black/white as some may have it.

Ok, I've quickly read through most of the posts prior to this one (there may be a couple I haven't read, because my typing speed is not that bad, but it isn't as quick as some of the blurts I may miss while I'm typing)

In a nut shell.

Most of the heavy shelling so far has been from Thailand to Cambodia.

Not that many shells have landed in the Buriram province, but some have.

There has been no organised evacuation in the Amphur of Ban Kruat, however our Poo Yai did announce on the tannoy system a few hours ago that should the fighting break out again tomorrow we should all consider leaving the area. I am well outside the town centre, well outside.

But the Tessaban in Ban Kruat is full of Thai nationals that have left their homes in the Chantobpej area voluntarily in fear, and some government buildings in Non Charoen have also taken worried people in.

Going to bed now, as I confidently expect to be woken up in around six hours with some loud noises.

Id be all for it if it were the politicians of either nation cowering from the bullets.

Until then i'll just note there is an election coming up and the elites always like to think military action gets votes.

Edited by markone1

I'll remind you for the last time. No talk about specifics of troops, aircraft, or units operating in the area.

100% in agreement ! Take note >>>> "Loose lips sink ships"

Yes, don't want to unwittingly make someone's village a target.

Going to bed now, as I confidently expect to be woken up in around six hours with some loud noises.

Looks like I may have been wrong, good, I'm very happy about that, hope it stays that way.

I am happy that the lack of activity on this thread this morning appears to reflect the lack of action along the border.

They haven't started dropping the "yellow rain" yet ? :whistling:

^^ The point is moot because they have already by their own admission used cluster munitions!

And you are attempting to defend these people???

The mind boggles.

As member Dumball wrote "news is however that Thai army has fired poisonous gas shells and more cluster bombs in an effort to rescue some Thai troops who are injured inside Cambodia ." No source for the news. Personally I think the suggestion 'poisonous gas shells' a ridiculous rumour and 'cluster bombs' very unlikely as the RTA took some flack last time.

I neither defend nor accuse. I'm still in a situation of 'insufficient data'. All I've got till now is unconfirmed rumours. Unlike you I do not automatically believe anything said against the RTA or Thai government, not even against PTP and red-shirts.

Looks like I may have been wrong, good, I'm very happy about that, hope it stays that way.

I am happy that the lack of activity on this thread this morning appears to reflect the lack of action along the border.

Yes 8am and all appears quiet. Hope it remains like this.

Yes 8am and all appears quite. Hope it remains like this.

They respect Sunday................. ..

thanks 'em.....

Shows pretty good how Cambodians think.

Give back all the Land to Khmer people while Cambodia identity's itself as Khmer. So simply give all the provinces to Cambodia and the great old Khmer empire lives again. Thats there dream and thats what many Cambodians hope for.

You can find maps and statements where absolutely good educated Cambodians and even Cambodians living century's in US demand that all provinces that Thailand has colonized are given back.

Thats why there are now always troubles and this is a never ending story.

Now you know why Thailand considers visitors as not needed and doesn't strike back with more than they need to hold positions.

Consider that China, Russia and France is on the side of Cambodia, so what would happen when visitors clearly see that Cambodia is provoking this ? Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Thats why Thailand doesn't take measures, even if schools and civilians are hit, because it's waisted time.

Think back at January 2003 when some Thai owned company's in Cambodia where burned or damaged and why. This alone shows the insanity.

Slow down a bit, will you?

Of course, that in Cambodia there are revisionists and nationalists, but also in Thailand. Alike. For such people and their thinking, will always be a reason for conflict. In the event that revanchists and nationalists seize part of authorities, the problems will surely be even greater. Perhaps all can become a real war, especially if some power put the nose in it.

For both current governments is priority to control such retrograde, mostly senile people so to keep them on safety distance. In my opinion actual Thai Government flirting with this kind of people in PAD.

And you made one mistake. You said:

Thats why Thailand doesn't take measures, even if schools and civilians are hit, because it's waisted time.

I am sorry but as Thai troops installed their howitzers in SCHOOL, what is expected? That Cambodians will not fire on them AT school?

But nothing new. Installing weapons in civilian object is provoking situation and civilian deaths so to point finger to Cambodians later, as savages? And that is what Thai field commanders consider as good tactic? Ridiculous and cheap trick.

Deja Vu.

True, you find revisionists and nationalists in Thailand, but by far not that much or strong as in Cambodia.

In fact I don't know any Country where nationalism is higher than in Cambodia.

One day this WILL become a real war since the problem isn't going away. It grows stronger and Hun Sen supports the way full with every action, knowing that he has great support in the region.

The profession as warrior has more priority for him than some that could be used to make Cambodians economy stronger.

Thailand knows this pretty good and if that is some move to gain political for the current government, than I completely miss the propaganda which would be necessary.

Flirting with PAD nationalists is unlikely, there are some common goals that PAD and the current government share, but actions show that there is not much flirting or understanding when it comes to certain things.

It's a cheap call to say that the current government shares the view of the PAD in the case of Cambodia. If so, Thai troops would act differently, use planes and of course there tank divisions.

Btw. the school was hit before any artillery was installed there and generally the Thai army evacuate first before installing military equipment near civilian areas.

Cambodia targets civilian because they need to push them back in order to occupy the area and claim it for them self. No joke, this is a tactic that Cambodian nationalist web sites see as most effective.

The border problem:

Every country uses if available the water shed as border line, only Cambodia draws his border lines as they think it fits them best.

The ICJ court rule which Thailand can't understand is in fact wrong and as long this mistake isn't corrected, the message for Cambodia is to push forward. This means the problems grow and a real war maybe happen.

Only a complete correction of the ICJ rule and using international standards for drawing a border line would send the right message and end the dreams for the Cambodian nationalists, which are IMHO the reason for all the last border incidents.

This isn't soon to end and sadly we will see in the future more of such incidents.

I really hope that I'm wrong, simply because talking is the best way to solve things and peace is always the best way to grow.