Thai And Cambodian Troops Clash Again

webfact

Thai, Cambodian troops exchange heavy border fire

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK, April 23, 2011 (AFP) - Heavy fighting broke out again Saturday between Thai and Cambodian soldiers, a day after six died in the bloodiest border clash since the UN appealed for a permanent ceasefire in February.

The two neighbours have fought a series of deadly gunbattles in recent years in disputed jungle near ancient temples strung out along the frontier, which has never been fully demarcated, partly because it is littered with landmines.

"Fresh fighting started at around 6 am (2300 GMT Friday) with rifles and mortar shelling at the same flash point" as Friday's clash, said a Thai army spokesman in the border region, Colonel Prawit Hookaew.

"We are negotiating to stop the fighting," he said.

Cambodia confirmed the latest outbreak of hostilities.

"The fighting started at 6:15 am. It involves artillery shelling," said defence ministry spokesman Chhum Socheat in Phnom Penh.

There were no immediate reports of casualties in Saturday's violence.

Friday's clash was the first serious outbreak of hostilities since February when 10 people were killed in fighting near the 900-year-old Hindu temple Preah Vihear, prompting UN Security Council members to call for a lasting ceasefire.

The latest fighting, which left three soldiers dead on each side on Friday and more than a dozen others wounded, took place near a different group of temples over 100 kilometres away from Preah Vihear.

Indonesia, which holds the rotating chairmanship of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) regional bloc, called for an immediate end to the violence.

"Indonesia, as current chair of ASEAN, strongly calls for the immediate cessation of hostilities between Cambodia and Thailand," Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said in a statement released on Friday.

The two sides blamed each other for Friday's clash, which lasted for more than six hours and prompted thousands of villagers to flee the border area.

Ties between the neighbours have been strained since Preah Vihear -- the most celebrated example of ancient Khmer architecture outside Cambodia's Angkor -- was granted UN World Heritage status in July 2008.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that the temple belonged to Cambodia, but both countries claim ownership of a 4.6 square kilometre (1.8 square mile) surrounding area.

Observers say the temple dispute has been used as a rallying point to stir nationalist sentiment in Thailand and Cambodia.

The two countries agreed in late February to allow Indonesian observers in the area near Preah Vihear, but the Thai military has since said they are not welcome and they have yet to be deployed.

Cambodia has called for outside mediation to help end the standoff, but Thailand insists the dispute should be resolved through bilateral talks.

Thailand recently admitted using controversial Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Munitions during the February fighting but insisted it did not classify them as cluster munitions.

The arms are defined as cluster munitions by the global campaign group Cluster Munition Coalition (CMC), which condemned Thailand's use of the weapons.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-23

related information

Thai, Cambodian Troops In New Border Clash

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not too far from where it takes place. Can still hear the sound of the guns... Brother of GF, who lives in Ban Kruat, had shells landing in his property yesterday and called half an hour ago saying he was evacuating his family as it is now 'really getting close"...

Cannot understand the RT Armed forces... instead of buying additional Viggen fighters and subs, they should seriously consider acquiring "ARTHUR" ( "Artillery Hunting Radar") systems! And very quickly!

instead of buying additional Viggen fighters and subs, they should seriously consider acquiring "ARTHUR" ( "Artillery Hunting Radar") systems! And very quickly!

All of us and all Thai population know the real reasons of the purchase of this or that by army. And it's not related to military issues.

Nothing to be ashamed, it happens every where.

0830....still firing

windows are shaking more frequently.

150 minutes with at least 40 artillery shells per minute.....do the math

odd thought comes to mind:

anyone else experienced the silence (on both sides) from 0800 to 0802 while the national anthem was on tv?

Since 6:30 I thaught it was thunder, but Ban Kruat and Ta Muan are about 40 km...

artillery shells do not use roads ..... Ban Kruat is only 10-15 km away from Ta Muan

so when the cambodians bring the 205 mm.......better go to Prakhon Chai :-((

Edited by Ricci

Cannot understand the RT Armed forces... instead of buying additional Viggen fighters and subs, they should seriously consider acquiring "ARTHUR" ( "Artillery Hunting Radar") systems! And very quickly!

They have counter battery radar, and I believe have ordered more modern systems

0830....still firing

windows are shaking more frequently.

150 minutes with at least 40 artillery shells per minute.....do the math

I don't think the Cambodians will be able to maintain this rate, they'll be soon short in ammunition.

odd thought comes to mind:

anyone else experienced the silence (on both sides) from 0800 to 0802 while the national anthem was on tv?

Cambodians don't mind about Thai anthem tradition.

"Bilateral is the best. What we mean by bilateral is WAR as we expect to win. If real negotiation in front of honest observers, Cambodia could win."

still firing....for 3 hours now

another thing:

do they have advanced scouts? i don't think so. it seems they shoot randomly, without a plan.

so all the advanced technology would be a waste ....

those two armies are like eunuchs:

they maybe know how to do it......but they can't

Brother of GF, who lives in Ban Kruat, had shells landing in his property yesterday......

absolutely NO shells in Ban Kruat......please do not spread panic

we have already enough problems here

Absolutely, in the district yes, but not in the town.

Brother of GF, who lives in Ban Kruat, had shells landing in his property yesterday......

perhaps they have evacuated people in the Buriram province, but...

are there any shell impacts confirmed in Chan Thop Phet or Sai Taku?

i believe they only fire on Surin province soil....

whatever......no fun at all

Surin hospitals on high alert

SURIN: -- The latest skirmish between Thai and Cambodian troops in Surin province early on Friday has injured thirteen Thai soldiers and four soliders were killed, Public Health Ministry reported yesterday.

The ministry reported that ten of them were sent to Phanomdongrak Hospital before transferred to Surin Hospital to receive medical treatment. The other three were sent to other military hospitals. Two of ten soldiers were serious injured from the clash. They will be sent to recieve medication at Pramongkut hospital, Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said.

The clash erupted at about 6 am near the Ta Kwai Temple in Tambon Bakdai of Surin, Phanom Dongrak district. The exchange of rifle and artillery fires forced residents in about 20 villages in district to evacuate to safe areas.

Jurin said he has instructed all Surin Hospital and other three hospitals including Kab Cherng, Bua Ched, and Phanomdongrak Chalermprakiat to be prepared around the clock to provide emergency medical services to affect people.

Medicine, medical supplies, emergency room and surgical equipment should be prepared to handle with the emergency accidents, he said.

Jurin also ordered hospital's staff to work with related agency to provide care for 3,000 people who evacuated from their villages to three temporary shelters including Nikhomprasat site in Prasat district, Kokklang school and Taniwitthaya school.

"A medical mobile team and health volunteers have already provided mental and physical care services to affected people who stay in shelter," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-23

09:40

it's getting hot.....

they're firing less frequently now.

dropped down to 5-10 shells per minute.

perhaps the bilateral "somtam-prahok" break :/

Goody............... they are takin' a break....

Do they know that it's Sat.? Most of the people ....don't go to work.... they ain't have respect, do they?

how close are you to 'em? .......... keep updatin' the situation ...thankx.........dude..

Edited by dunkin2012

40 shells a minute!!!!! and only 8 dead? some things wrong with this information.

as i've already mentioned, they shoot randomly. i believe they have no advanced artillery scouts checking the impact zones.

Edited by Scott
flame and response edited out

Since 6:30 I thaught it was thunder, but Ban Kruat and Ta Muan are about 40 km...

artillery shells do not use roads ..... Ban Kruat is only 10-15 km away from Ta Muan

so when the cambodians bring the 205 mm.......better go to Prakhon Chai :-((

105mm not 205,, Charge 7 HE Nato Range 7miles(11.26km) :o

New 105mm/M913 RAP 14km They dont have this one Yet

Thailand should say " here have your little temple --we are a rich and industrious country it is of no real consequence to raise the dust off the land for".

The world court has already said Cambodia owns it.

40 shells a minute!!!!! and only 8 dead? some things wrong with this information.

I don't see any reason to live down there unless you cant afford, or are too young for a retirement visa and you can cheaply hop the border.

Well Fishface, I have built our family home in the village where my wife comes from, and where most of her family live = enough reason to live here. I agree with your first comment re: the temple, but please, don't comment on where people live or should live -- it's their choice.

I would say lets hope sense prevails but we are talking aboutt the 'face' mindset in both countries.

This could get worse before it gets better.

The Thai's have never been in a real war yet Cambodia was for a long time I know who my money would be on.

Edited by englishinsiam

perhaps they have evacuated people in the Buriram province, but...

are there any shell impacts confirmed in Chan Thop Phet or Sai Taku?

i believe they only fire on Surin province soil....

whatever......no fun at all

Yes, shells have impacted in this province, a mate had one in his paddy fields yesterday.

People are evacuating from Tambon Chantopbej (sp) from Sai Tho Nueng to Sip Song.

Had an SMS from Fatfather about 30 mins ago ..... "Hi Thad, I moved my family to Ban Kruat, Soi X is not safe any more"

The shelling appears to have stopped now, and for the last hour of it, it was much further away from my present position.