Wd Livewire Or Linksys Equivalent

msg362

I've been reading up about these systems that give you the LAN equivalent using the mains circuitry. My son in the UK has one and it works well.

Questions

1 Do they work reasonably well here in Thailand?

2 Does polarity matter? ( i.e. live/ neutral which is always a problem here)

3 Can I buy one in Chiang Mai ? Pantip for example and if not can I order one from somewhere in BKK?

Promise that if I get one I'll report back!!

Thanks in advance for any help

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

In the total absence of any information here, I went ahead and bought a system from Pantip Plaza ( Goodspeed). Linksys Powerline network. Very simple to install, just plug in. But then!!

My router is upstairs. I plugged into a socket on that line then plugged into many sockets downstairs near the big TV. I keep getting 'the system is congested'.

If i plug into the same line that the one upstairs is one everything works fine. ( I also tried it downstairs and it worked- (it seems to be a function of wiring length and maybe going through the Circuit breaker box)

After several hours, a 20 metre LAN cable, I've come to the conclusion that the wiring in my house is simply not up to it. In the UK there are 'ring mains', circular circuits, here I'm not sure. The wiring in my house is to a high ( Thai) standard, so I'm despondent and seem to have wasted 2,500 Baht!

In any event, when I linked up with the LAN to the Vivo box ( to see MP4s on the TV) the internet connection was not very useful so I'll stick to downloading BBC programmes to the iMac, putting them onto a portable HD ( 500 GB) and plugging into the Vivo box to watch them on the big TV