Prison- Jail Visits Foreign Nationals

Hello

I'm looking to find contacts on Samui who are involved with or know of people who can arrange Prison visits to Foreign Nationals incarcerated on the island.

The sole intention of these visits would be to provide support and friendship to Foreign National prisoners and to allow them the opportunity to have regular prison visits in the absence of family and friends.

If anyone can be of any help or knows of any organisations already undertaking this work on Samui I would be grateful if you could PM me so I can volunteer my time.

I should also mention I'm not affiliated to any religious group and I am not a legal representative of any organisation. nor do I have any intention of being involved in this aspect of a prisoners sentence.

Edited by spacedcowboy

ok books and cig are good but fresh fruit bread newspapers,everything you bring will be thorn apart.example if you bring an orange it will be peeled and squised befour they get it.better to buy at the prison shop on your first visit as they know it has not been tampered with and will get to them in one peice.good luck to you

I go up regularly as it is just up the road from where I live. You can go Mon, Wed and Fri 9am-12 and 13-16 for male prisoners and Tue and Thur for female. At present there are around 23 Farang prisoners in Samui prison.

You need to know the name of the person you want to visit. You just need to take along your passport for ID purposes and as all the forms you need to fill in are in Thai knowing how to fill them in is a good idea or take along someone who can read Thai ;) Food is most welcome as are books but a lot of toiletries and cigarettes have to be bought or rather paid for, at the shop in the prison. If you would lke any more info drop me a PM

:D

I go up regularly as it is just up the road from where I live. You can go Mon, Wed and Fri 9am-12 and 13-16 for male prisoners and Tue and Thur for female. At present there are around 23 Farang prisoners in Samui prison.

You need to know the name of the person you want to visit. You just need to take along your passport for ID purposes and as all the forms you need to fill in are in Thai knowing how to fill them in is a good idea or take along someone who can read Thai ;) Food is most welcome as are books but a lot of toiletries and cigarettes have to be bought or rather paid for, at the shop in the prison. If you would lke any more info drop me a PM

23 foreign inmates!!!!!!...............what on Earth do people get up to???...........is that long term, or are they waiting to be transported............obviously not quite the holiday in 'paradise' they expected

It varies from some diving instructors in there for working without a work permit on Tao to 35 years for shed loads of methamphetamine. They do reckon it is one of the better prisons in Thailand so not many want to get shipped out. The prison is designed to hold 240 people and at the moment there are 525 people in there. The Farangs all share 1 cell with no beds just a blanket and thats it.

A proper prison which the Government in the UK should send somebody to study and copy ;)

i do feel bad for inmates. I know that they it is mostly their own fault but the system can really drag people down.

To be honest i would rartheer do someone greviously bodily har,m than send someone torot in some cell for the rest of their life.

as i would hope someone would do the same to me.

As for the drug dealing affenses i wish that some people that come here to start that life of crime would reconsider and do in another country as Thailand is for enjoyment not to spend in a conrete roomm sweeting :jap:

If one does not know a name, but just wants to visit an inmate, say a fellow countryperson. How does one get this information.

Previously, i just arrived at the prison and mentioned a name which i got from Samui Express. Yes the man was a rogue, but a fellow human being and he could not do me any harm seeing where he was ! I know that some on TV thought i was a fool, but i was happy with it. If i brought some happiness to the person (Paul Stone) then thats my business. I used to take him Ham and other meats which was shared around the other cell mates. I soon found out that i was not allowed to take loaves of bread , but was able to take Bread rolls to him. !

Previously, i just arrived at the prison and mentioned a name which i got from Samui Express. Yes the man was a rogue, but a fellow human being and he could not do me any harm seeing where he was ! I know that some on TV thought i was a fool, but i was happy with it. If i brought some happiness to the person (Paul Stone) then thats my business. I used to take him Ham and other meats which was shared around the other cell mates. I soon found out that i was not allowed to take loaves of bread , but was able to take Bread rolls to him. !

I don't think you a fool. I just think that there are plenty of very poor, "honest" good hard working people here that are far more worthy beneficeries of your time and goodwill.

It varies from some diving instructors in there for working without a work permit on Tao to 35 years for shed loads of methamphetamine. They do reckon it is one of the better prisons in Thailand so not many want to get shipped out. The prison is designed to hold 240 people and at the moment there are 525 people in there. The Farangs all share 1 cell with no beds just a blanket and thats it.

A proper prison which the Government in the UK should send somebody to study and copy ;)

That really is quite disturbing and all the time I lived on Samui had no idea that so many foreigners were locked up there.....next time Im down will have to pop up there with some goodies.

The desires of the original poster whilst noble, are misdirected. I fail to understand why some of you are rushing to help people who have 'knowingly broken the law' and are now having to live with the consequences of their criminal acts. There are a lot of other people on the island who have serious issues and need help.

Whilst things in prison are not pleasant - most of these people would have avoided their incarceration if they had not broken the law! The choice was theirs.

There are others on the island who are victims of abuse, just generally down on their luck, victims of the recent weather conditions etc, etc. These people have broken no laws and are suffering. Surely they deserve our help more?

The desires of the original poster whilst noble, are misdirected. I fail to understand why some of you are rushing to help people who have 'knowingly broken the law' and are now having to live with the consequences of their criminal acts. There are a lot of other people on the island who have serious issues and need help.

Whilst things in prison are not pleasant - most of these people would have avoided their incarceration if they had not broken the law! The choice was theirs.

There are others on the island who are victims of abuse, just generally down on their luck, victims of the recent weather conditions etc, etc. These people have broken no laws and are suffering. Surely they deserve our help more?

Thanks everbody who has aided me in my initial enquiry about prison visits via posting on this forum and through PMing me.

This has obviously has caught peoples interest, possibly something positive will come about as a consequence of this , even if its something as simply as don't break the law jail isn't nice, surely a good thing.

I should also mention that I am not only interested in my intention to help solely Prison inmates but also willing to dedicate time for other worthy causes whilst on the Island.

If anybody has any suggestions please post them here.

Many thanks

Edited by spacedcowboy

We do so because we are human. These people may have broken the law but they are not murderers, child molesters or rapists. They are fellow Farangs who appreciate a little help and kindness and believe me they are living with the consequences of their actions. You try living with 5kg ankle chains on 24/7. :o

Edited by Rooo
separated quote.

Dunc,

I agree they are humans if not they would be in a zoo. As for not being murders or rapists who knows? If they are dealing in drugs let them rot there for a while longer some people never learn. Look at the Aussies who go to Bali get caught ever week then cry about it.

I don't think you a fool. I just think that there are plenty of very poor, "honest" good hard working people here that are far more worthy beneficeries of your time and goodwill.

Fair enough carmine, but i do devote some of my time to an orphanage as well. There are many who just devote their time to the local bar. I guess its their business, so no harm to me.

Edited by oldsailor35

We do so because we are human. These people may have broken the law but they are not murderers, child molesters or rapists. They are fellow Farangs who appreciate a little help and kindness and believe me they are living with the consequences of their actions. You try living with 5kg ankle chains on 24/7. :o

Yep ! and nothing to eat except Chicken neck stew !

If there are people who woiuld like to visit inmates at the jail I know of an inmate who is more or less not guilty of whatever he is charged with and I'm sure his family and he himself would appreciate getting visitors. He is a Finnish man who suffers from schizophrenia, diabetes and a few other somatic diseases. We don't know why he is in jail, how long he has been in there for and how to get him out. He isn't getting any medication at the moment. We know he was attacked and robbed about one month ago (front page of the Samui Gazette) and he lost his money and passport then. From the information we have we know that he is in jail because he has stayed overtime and has no passport (because it was stolen). He might have also brawled in a bar, but not sure.

His family can't do anything to help him from Finland, they don't have money to fly over here and they don't speak English. I'm doing what I can but it is hard because I don't speak Thai and the people in the prison don't really speak English.

I'm going over to visit him today and try to find out more about his situation. If anyone is interested in visiting him or bringing him stuff, food, clothes etc. I'm sure it would be really appreciated.

Fair enough carmine, but i do devote some of my time to an orphanage as well. There are many who just devote their time to the local bar. I guess its their business, so no harm to me.

Please don't think i see something wrong in you visiting inmates because i don't. I respect anyone who is prepared to take time out to help other people.

If there are people who woiuld like to visit inmates at the jail I know of an inmate who is more or less not guilty of whatever he is charged with and I'm sure his family and he himself would appreciate getting visitors. He is a Finnish man who suffers from schizophrenia, diabetes and a few other somatic diseases. We don't know why he is in jail, how long he has been in there for and how to get him out. He isn't getting any medication at the moment. We know he was attacked and robbed about one month ago (front page of the Samui Gazette) and he lost his money and passport then. From the information we have we know that he is in jail because he has stayed overtime and has no passport (because it was stolen). He might have also brawled in a bar, but not sure.

His family can't do anything to help him from Finland, they don't have money to fly over here and they don't speak English. I'm doing what I can but it is hard because I don't speak Thai and the people in the prison don't really speak English.

I'm going over to visit him today and try to find out more about his situation. If anyone is interested in visiting him or bringing him stuff, food, clothes etc. I'm sure it would be really appreciated.

Elsewhere on the forum there is a multilingual gardener. Here on this forum we have a multilingual cranky old goat......you could ask him for help I guess.....:rolleyes:

I an rather disgusted by the negative comments here and my hat is off to those who take time out to visit the less fortunate.

I visit regularly too and in my experience the best thing you can do is to pass on messages and updates to their families in their homelands. It really gives the inmate peace of mind and also gives the family assurance too.

You should also make a report to the relevant Embassy too as to the welfare of the inmate.

Dunc,

I agree they are humans if not they would be in a zoo. As for not being murders or rapists who knows? If they are dealing in drugs let them rot there for a while longer some people never learn. Look at the Aussies who go to Bali get caught ever week then cry about it.

I know they are not murderers and rapists for one !

As for your holier than thou attitude to drugs you can stick it.

As you say some people never learn and the people that never learn are the people like you. :sorry:

The so called war on drugs has killed more people than the illegal drugs. Alcohol and tobacco kill more people than all the illegal drugs put together but we still sell them.

When Governments ban these drugs rather than tax them I will believe they have the interest of their citizens rather than see a financial gain.

These people have done something they have to live with in a foreign country. I go visit as it cannot be nice to be stuck thousands of miles away from home in a proper jail.

Don't get me wrong here I think the jails back home are a complete joke and should be based on the jails here.

Because they are so hard is why I take a little food and some books etc. it costs me very little but it is much appreciated by the inmates.

maybe you should take them a video Locked up Abroad. As for learning, yes I'm sorry I didn't learn to take drugs.

Listen mate, if the best input you can make is to knock someone showing some compassion to another human being i would'nt bother to post.

Unfortunately there seems to be some misinterpretation of my original post so I'll try and clarify.

I requested information regarding people who were involved with or had knowledge of how to visit prisoners (foreign nationals primarily) in Samui. I stated foreign nationals because I have a limited Thai language ability which would hinder my ablitiy to converse with a prisoner with no English language skills. Although I'm quite happy to support any prisoner via a prison visit if it could benefit them and there family and friends.

In my experience, whilst the prisoner does the actual formal prison time, there are a number of people family, friends etc that suffer as a consequence of the prisoners actions, being thousands of miles away from said people makes prison visits somewhat limited for most relations etc.

My decision to choose a prison to volunteer some, but not all of my time was based on the fact that I have some understanding in this field so its an ideal place to volunteer for me, in my actual experience UK prisons aren't soft options, this is based on actual experience of the prison system and not just an opinion. I was therefore very grateful to recieve many supportive emails from my initial topic enquiry.

I am fully aware that there are a number of other organisations groups on Samui that would also benefit from support and I do intend to use my time to volunteer where possible, however I have to use "My" intergity to decide how "direct" my attention effectively.

I would therefore ask that whilst peoples opinions are interesting to read they do tend to distract somewhat from my initial aim which is to find worthy causes worth volunteering for during my stay.

If you no of any just simply post them here for me and others to see.

""

Edited by spacedcowboy

Unfortunately there seems to be some misinterpretation of my original post so I'll try and clarify.

I requested information regarding people who were involved with or had knowledge of how to visit prisoners (foreign nationals primarily) in Samui. I stated foreign nationals because I have a limited Thai language ability which would hinder my ablitiy to converse with a prisoner with no English language skills. Although I'm quite happy to support any prisoner via a prison visit if it could benefit them and there family and friends.

In my experience, whilst the prisoner does the actual formal prison time, there are a number of people family, friends etc that suffer as a consequence of the prisoners actions, being thousands of miles away from said people makes prison visits somewhat limited for most relations etc.

My decision to choose a prison to volunteer some, but not all of my time was based on the fact that I have some understanding in this field so its an ideal place to volunteer for me, in my actual experience UK prisons aren't soft options, this is based on actual experience of the prison system and not just an opinion. I was therefore very grateful to recieve many supportive emails from my initial topic enquiry.

I am fully aware that there are a number of other organisations groups on Samui that would also benefit from support and I do intend to use my time to volunteer where possible, however I have to use "My" intergity to decide how "direct" my attention effectively.

I would therefore ask that whilst peoples opinions are interesting to read they do tend to distract somewhat from my initial aim which is to find worthy causes worth volunteering for during my stay.

If you no of any just simply post them here for me and others to see.

""

You don't need to justify yourself to the half-baked numpties that question you on here, just ignore the trolls.

Good on you for taking the time to do something good for others