Gps Questions

furyrider

I have always used a map and asked a lot of questions to get some place new. I meet a lot of people that way. But in Thailand not being able to speak Thai that well yet has lead to some frustration. So its time to get into technology.

I never have owned or used a GPS before so I don't know what I am looking for. Because it is for a bike it should be water prof and I also need something that will be easy to down load maps on. I think I will need blue tooth on it for the head sets that I want to buy. Yes, I am looking into head sets so the wife can jabber at me "hope it has an off button" and also to listen to the IPod. More questions on that for another post.

So what GPS are you all using and what suggestions do you have for me getting my first one.

Had a Garmin ZUMO 550 but it was too fancy for me so I sold it. I get by just fine with Google Maps on the iPhone. Another good GPS for bikes is the waterproof Garmin 60Csx. I know some guys use the cheaper car GPS units and just cover them in plastic when it rains...

I recommend GadgetTrend: http://www.gadgetrend.com/gps_handheld.php

Ride On!

Tony

I use the water proof garmin zumo, with a ram mount ,,,and download and update the maps for free (currently on v11),,,and have the supplied windscreen mount with built in speaker for the car...so i doubles up ok..

Edited by rizla

Had a Garmin ZUMO 550 but it was too fancy for me so I sold it. I get by just fine with Google Maps on the iPhone. Another good GPS for bikes is the waterproof Garmin 60Csx. I know some guys use the cheaper car GPS units and just cover them in plastic when it rains...

I recommend GadgetTrend: http://www.gadgetren...ps_handheld.php

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks Tony

Fancy is what I don't need. To much more than an off-on button will have me confused. And i should have the water prof one or I will tear the bag some how. Thanks for the web page.

I use the water proof garmin zumo, with a ram mount ,,,and download and update the maps for free (currently on v11),,,and have the supplied windscreen mount with built in speaker for the car...so i doubles up ok..

Ok that is one that I had heard about. You say that you get updates downloaded for free? ( currently on v11) See in half a sentence I am already lost. Whats a v11? This is why my first one needs to be simple to operate Unless it comes with a very cute instructor.

Another vote for the zumo 550.  Only downside is the horrible battery life when it's off the mount.

And I'm using the factory Garmin mount for the device on both my bike and suction cup mount (which can actually work as a handsfree device for your cell!) in my truck.

I have both the Zumo 550 and the Legend Cx (hand held with a handlebar mount). The legend is a lot easier to use and more versatile IMHO. There are still a lot of roads in Thailand that are not on the map provided and the Legend can conveniently track one's route through no-mans-land and get you out with ease. Both units can find a gas station or a 7-11 or a hospital. The only advantage of the Zumo is that music can be downloaded and blue tooth can be routed through it.

Ok that is one that I had heard about. You say that you get updates downloaded for free? ( currently on v11) See in half a sentence I am already lost. Whats a v11? This is why my first one needs to be simple to operate Unless it comes with a very cute instructor.

V.11 is the latest TSM (thailand street map) , and the maps are free on the net unlocked and ready to load onto the SD card...if you do get the garmin zumo 550, i recommend running a lead from your bike to power it like i`ve done..

I just have a nuvi 203 car gps mounted on the bike with a ram mount. To be honest it works great once you figure out how the thing indicates where you have to go. I have it in the car too and the voice is a nice extra but with only the arrows you manage too. Its loads cheaper then a zumo but not waterproof. I am no die hard biker and would most likely stop when it is raining or cover it up. I am pretty sure there are ways to cover it up good. (just think the plastic they use to wrap food in).

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 units

The GPSMAP 60CSx I like it looks small and it would be good in nomans land. The Price is good. But no Blue tooth Not sure if I have to have that but would be good with my head set.

But I have also ran across the new Garmin Zumo 220 "built for " bikers by bikers" they claim tZumo 220 www.gadgetrend.com/gps_zumo220.phpHas any one looked at them or have one??

Edited by xray

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 units

The GPSMAP 60CSx I like it looks small and it would be good in nomans land. The Price is good. But no Blue tooth Not sure if I have to have that but would be good with my head set.

But I have also ran across the new Garmin Zumo 220 "built for " bikers by bikers" they claim tZumo 220 www.gadgetrend.com/gps_zumo220.phpHas any one looked at them or have one??

The USA price looks good.. but i gadgettrent does not give a price for it

I guess in thailand it would cost 20k up