Santika Fire

pauljones

From Wikipedia:

Some 1,000 guests and employees were in the club when it burned, and 66 deaths occurred from both smoke inhalation and burns, as well as a stampede for the exit.

Santika only had one main exit, with an additional private staff exit. A third exit was locked to prevent robberies.

It was revealed the club only had one fire extinguisher and that the nightclub was registered as a food vendor restaurant.

The Ministry of Justice investigation discovered the nightclub was officially registered as a private residence and therefore had never received a fire safety inspection. It was also located in a zone where nightclubs are prohibited and the city architect's signature approving the club's design had been forged.

Between 2004 and 2006, police had filed 47 charges against the club's owners for illegal operation. After that, however, no charges were filed.

Suspicions of corruption were raised when one of the co-owners turned out to be a senior police officer.

The police blamed the lead singer for setting off fireworks on stage.

Videos show this is untrue.

Was there something you wanted to say about the tragedy?

I the OP has summed up the whole sorry episode very well. And the point of your response is?

The origin of the post was Wikipedia.. My question was "Is there something the OP wanted to add or take away?" Was this a thread that had been moved?

Was there something you wanted to say about the tragedy?

I the OP has summed up the whole sorry episode very well. And the point of your response is?

The origin of the post was Wikipedia.. My question was "Is there something the OP wanted to add or take away?" Was this a thread that had been moved?

I don't think the OP wanted to add or to take away anything. I think that he just wanted to make known what was on Wikipedia and what the results were of the investigations. And those results are ... You can draw your own conclusions...

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed.

31) All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.