Markland Condo On Beach Road Advice?

nikkoid66

Hi, I am about to rent 6 month at Mark Land on North Pattaya beach road. It is a quite old hotel but the location is top-notch and the rent price with a great view on walking street side is only 15k/month.

Now my question, they ask me 3000 baths to be able to use 3BB from my room. I pay 590 bath/month with 3BB and I have been satisfied by them wherever I moved before. but I think 3000 baths to plug something is a rip off. View Talay 6 was charging 1500 baths and I though it was already expensive.

They also propose Happy net, but I never heard about it. Anyone can give me a their feedback about the internet in this building?<br>

Edited by nikkoid66

Has the room got Sophon cable? If so, then you can also get Sophon broadband, which has had some good reviews here recently (search on it for more info). The condo management might try and tell you that it's not allowed, but if you already have cable TV then I don't see how they can stop you. Don't even ask them, just go to the Sophon shop on South Pattaya Road (north side, between Friendship and Third Road) and arrange it yourself.

"Has the room got Sophon cable? If so, then you can also get Sophon broadband"

Not true! -- it depends on whether or not Sophon has their fiber cable already in the building, which requires an agreement with the management and a location inside the building to locate their fiber head-end and distribution components..

Broadband is only merged with the TV cable once all that is in place. Sophon will only make that commitment to a building if they think there's enough business there to support it.

It doesn' t matter if Markland is an "old" hotel. When it was constructed ???30 years ago, it was top notch construction. The typical fault of the place is that it needs an update. The lobby, hallways, and roof top restaurant looks like it did when it first opened.

Like other aging buildings in Thailand, the wiring is so old that internet can be a problem there. And it certainly doesn't have optic cables. The corporation that owns it can't even invest in good lighting for the place.

ure brave to stay there ! , i would stay there if it was 5 k a month

Why??

Check out the fire system Hose's not connected, wrong size's, no water preasure, ECT, ECT, then you will know. Please Buddha there's not a fire otherwise it's a jump job. Have a friend that has a condo on one of the upper floor's, My Thai wife won't even go up there. Edited by fredob43

It doesn' t matter if Markland is an "old" hotel. When it was constructed ???30 years ago, it was top notch construction. The typical fault of the place is that it needs an update. The lobby, hallways, and roof top restaurant looks like it did when it first opened.

Like other aging buildings in Thailand, the wiring is so old that internet can be a problem there. And it certainly doesn't have optic cables. The corporation that owns it can't even invest in good lighting for the place.

building can only be 18 years old max.:rolleyes:

Why??

Check out the fire system Hose's not connected, wrong size's, no water preasure, ECT, ECT, then you will know. Please Buddha there's not a fire otherwise it's a jump job. Have a friend that has a condo on one of the upper floor's, My Thai wife won't even go up there.

I have checked-in and I am very happy so far.

Sorry Boater but the Markland is old maybe, but they renovated the lobby that is looking gorgeous, if you are on the Walking Street side you have an unobtured view that is better than what you can have at Amari or Holiday Inn, the management is very nice compared to other buildings like View Talays series, the water pressure is VERY strong, they are checking the fire alarm on regular basis, it is very quiet around, no disco at night and in the day no renovation.

Maybe you don't want people to know, so that the price stay that low!

post-105564-0-05904500-1304313708_thumb.

post-105564-0-31080000-1304313723_thumb.

post-105564-0-52201700-1304313732_thumb.

post-105564-0-16131300-1304313747_thumb.

Edited by nikkoid66

I've been living at Markland for the past 7 years (north side, so the view ain't as good). I bought my condo for 2m baht, and have been really pleased with it. Yes it is a superb location, maybe a bit old, but the new condo committee are working very hard to renovate and upgrade. It's also a hotel, so some of the hotel fees offset the maintenance owners have to pay (which is only around 8,000 bath per annum).

I have my own TOT phone line, and get a 2Mb broadband connection for only 490 baht a month. Very stable and hardly any downtime. And yes Sophon cable is here and only costs 60 baht a month!

"And yes Sophon cable is here and only costs 60 baht a month!"

Are you referring to Sophon TV or Sophon Broadband?

Everywhere else in the area, Sophon TV is around 3000 Baht per year (250 per month) and Broadband is around 600+ per month, depending on the speed!

Edited by SurfRider

I have 3BB 590 baths / month. 5Mb with US or Europe in download, 500kb/s in upload, ping <50ms. Very stable so far.

I got the same internet contract in View Talay 6 and the speed was not so good, (around 1-2 MB/s) ping at 200ms, Cando internet (View Talay internet specific was doing better)

After I went to a house Soi Kopai, Internet was doing 4MB/120kb/s good ping at 50ms.

So here is the best speed so far.

Small note about internet and 3BB, I am an Internet professional and I tested their 10MB,6MB and even Indie (gaming) contract. SAME SAME, same ping, same speed. They do not change anything if you pay 590 or 2000 bath/month. A friend have their new 20Mb/s contract and I did some tests : 7Mb/720kb/s... not worth the money in my opinion.

Why??

Check out the fire system Hose's not connected, wrong size's, no water preasure, ECT, ECT, then you will know. Please Buddha there's not a fire otherwise it's a jump job. Have a friend that has a condo on one of the upper floor's, My Thai wife won't even go up there.

I have checked-in and I am very happy so far.

Sorry Boater but the Markland is old maybe, but they renovated the lobby that is looking gorgeous, if you are on the Walking Street side you have an unobtured view that is better than what you can have at Amari or Holiday Inn, the management is very nice compared to other buildings like View Talays series, the water pressure is VERY strong, they are checking the fire alarm on regular basis, it is very quiet around, no disco at night and in the day no renovation.

Maybe you don't want people to know, so that the price stay that low!

Edited by toenail

Amazking how the promotion photos make the interior look presentable. The lobby area is dark and like a cave. The dark flooring needs to be renovated. The choice to use white flourescent lighting does nothing to make the interior friendly to the eyes. The hallways magnify any noise that echos down the dark corridor. - The photos don't show this,but this is minor.The hotel section now caters mostly to the Indian and Arab tourist. Markland is located in a great part of Beach Road- away from the bars, great views on the South side of the apartments, and the condo owners are mostly retired folks that makes the place quiet.

"And yes Sophon cable is here and only costs 60 baht a month!"

Are you referring to Sophon TV or Sophon Broadband?

Everywhere else in the area, Sophon TV is around 3000 Baht per year (250 per month) and Broadband is around 600+ per month, depending on the speed!

Sorry, I meant Sophon TV - and it costs me 60 baht a month (plus 1,000 baht to set up). Don't know if it's a special offer or not.