Npp To Boycott Thai Election

Lite Beer

NPP to boycott election

The New Politics Party Sunday resolved to boycott the upcoming election and to join the People's Alliance for Democracy's campaigns for voters to cast a 'no-vote'.

Following hours of heated debate during the annual general assembly, the party's majority members voted to boycott the election, NPP leader Somsak Kosaisuk told a press conference.

The assembly started in the morning and ended at 1 pm. The election issue was the last issue on the meeting's agenda. Some 1,000 general members of the party took part in the assembly and joined the vote made by raising their hands.

The party members were asked to raise their hands if they disagreed with contesting the election. When most attendants raised their hands, the chairman of the meeting did not ask the other side to raise their hands and regarded that the majority had decided to boycott the election.

During the debate, the party members were divided into the side that wanted to boycott the election and the other side that wanted to contest the poll.

Members of the two sides heatedly exchanged opinions and turmoil occurred briefly when a group of members, who disagreed with contesting the election staged a walkout. Somsak then announced through the public addressing system, urging the party members to return the assembly hall.

Somsak told the press conference that the decision of the party's members will have yet to be endorsed by the party's executive board, which will make an official resolution. The Election Commission will then be informed of the resolution of the NPP.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-24

At what age , if any or ever, do Thai Politicians reach maturity and adulthood.

They bitch, moan and groan about the need and want for elections. Then when the get an election called, and they can't have things their way , they piss and pout then decide not to play.....

If that is not a perfect example of a spoiled brat, I do not know of any better example.

Give them all a pacifier and put them in the corner somewhere.

At what age , if any or ever, do Thai Politicians reach maturity and adulthood.

They bitch, moan and groan about the need and want for elections. Then when the get an election called, and they can't have things their way , they piss and pout then decide not to play.....

If that is not a perfect example of a spoiled brat, I do not know of any better example.

Give them all a pacifier and put them in the corner somewhere.

About three days before senility sets in.

Some go direct to dribbling in their chair.

This is good news, because voters are not necessarily party members. A bump for the Dems IMHO.

Indeed Whybother and I an sure all 1000 of them who are reported to have been at the meeting will make a big difference.

Yellow is dead.

All we need now is to see red in the grave and the country can get on with business.

At least we have here a party which has an internal debate and votes on important issues. :)

On the other hand a new poll showed "58% of public think the elections ought to be more competitive so it will provide them with more options"

Should I call NPP undemocratic for ignoring the public's call ?

Edited by rubl

[sarcasm] What a terrible loss, how can an election be run without them. [/sarcasm]

Quite simply actually, they have never cointested a genaral election in the past either.

(inserted sarcasm tag)

Thats the reason I wrote cointested ,,,,,,,,,,no money in it for them.

Indeed Whybother and I an sure all 1000 of them who are reported to have been at the meeting will make a big difference.

Yellow is dead.

All we need now is to see red in the grave and the country can get on with business.

Read : And we can have things our way

Yellow is dead.

We as in 'we, farang' would be misplaced.

Yellow is dead.

We as in 'we, farang' would be misplaced.

But anyone would understand that "we,farang" have no" way" in this country

"New" politics, indeed.

"We want an election, but only on our terms and if we can be assured to win. Otherwise, we'll just throw a tantrum and call a boycott, too."

How can people like that be taken seriously? A 5-year-old has more sense than some of these politicians; yellow, red, gray, green, blue, chequered or any other colour. They're all howling for democracy, and when a chance presents itself, they're not willing to participate. Thai politics over the past few years has become a matter of boycotting, whining, mud-slinging and generally juvenile behaviour.

Ooops, I might be wrong there. I think it's always been like that.

Political parties in Thailand emerge overnight like mushrooms in a damp forest, then vanish equally fast, just to see the light again under a different name and with people at the helm who in a western country each would look at 25 years in jail for malfeasance, mismanagement, corruption, embezzlement and ineptitude. If a politician in a developed coutnry would jump parties as often as many of our local clowns do, they would lose every credibility (or what's left of it) and nobody would vote for them ever again. If somebody joins a political party, they do so because they can identify with that party's platform; and perhaps that is where the root problem lies: political parties in Thailand have no platform to speak of. Instead, political parties are formed around a core of one, two or several "veteran" (cf. above: malfeasance, mismanagement, etc) leaders. People do not vote for a political agenda but for a person, whichever party they may currently belong to. it's difficult to comprehend from a western viewpoint, but that's how it works (or, actually, doesn't).

My grandfather (may he rest in peace) once told me: "Boy, if you have the chance to vote, do so. Even if you are not a political person, vote for the political party that you think does best represent your needs and wants. Don't vote on what they promise you in terms of benefits, because little of it will materialize. Stick to reason, look at their different platforms and agendas. And respect the outcome even if your party does not gain the majority of house seats. But if you don't vote, the supporters of extreme right-wing or left-wing parties will go voting for sure. And if they win, you cannot even claim that you've tried to prevent them from gaining power."

My grandfather grew up under the Nazi regime. I never asked him whether he had voted for Hitler or not. That wasn't the point he wanted to make anyway. It was clear to me that - under a democratic form of goernment - I had the duty to vote in order to ensure democracy; not boycott an election.