Cm Immigration - Under Consideration Visit

mallmagician

Hi folks,

I am currently waiting out my 30 days under considerations period after my marriage extension application.

On May 3rd I am due to return to hopefully get my extension stamp.

I was told just to turn up and ask on that date without needing to do the queue thing. Is this true, or should I arrive early to queue?

I've posted this in the cm forum, as its relevant only tothe way they do things here.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that you will need to get a number to see if the extension is approved. So you will have to get in a cue, but it will probably be a lot faster than the one for applying in the first place. At least that is how it works for a work visa.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm pretty sure that you will need to get a number to see if the extension is approved. So you will have to get in a cue, but it will probably be a lot faster than the one for applying in the first place. At least that is how it works for a work visa.

Nope. Just show up, provide your passport to one of the student assistants and wait for your name to be called.

It shouldn't take you long to figure out they don't like those who are here on the marriage visa. Every year they seem to come up with new and totally ridiculous requirements in order to get an extension.

I started with the marriage visa and then opted for the retirement visa, which they do like. Went from total aggravation to a breeze. If you qualify for the retirement visa and have the funds, you should consider switching over.

I've got 20 years to wait for the retirement visa.

I agree the marriage eextension is a messy process, but its my first go, so I should be better prepared in future. Although, kl does seem tempting for next year. I'm not good with the waiting game. :-) :-)

It shouldn't take you long to figure out they don't like those who are here on the marriage visa. Every year they seem to come up with new and totally ridiculous requirements in order to get an extension.

I started with the marriage visa and then opted for the retirement visa, which they do like. Went from total aggravation to a breeze. If you qualify for the retirement visa and have the funds, you should consider switching over.

Excellent post. I have a retirement visa and considered moving to a marriage visa. Immigration stated "It seems that you have sufficient income and financial strength. Changing to a marriage visa only brings problems for the farang. It is controlled by BKK and is a lengthy and arduous process. Stay with the visa you have and avoid the problems of applying for a marriage visa every year."

Remainder of post removed by me....a little off topic considering the OP is in his twenties.

Edited by Raindancer

1) wasn't the Thailand adopting Cambodias idea an April fools?

2) if you are over 50 and are married, why would it be more difficult financially to show less money?

I support my wife fine with the marriage extension required amount. I'd be so bold as to say I support her very well. We have a great life. Why would someone retired need more money?

Ignore the above from me. It was in response to comments now removed.

Must be the old age eh Raindancer? ;-)

No problems mallmagician. My post was generic and not aimed at you. Must have been a senior moment. :-)

But in reply to your question...Cambodia was not an April fool's day joke and as I understand it, neither is the Thai government's view.

The reason that over 50's require more money is a fact and is a financial requirement by the Thai authorities for those applying for a retirement visa.. I asked the very same question of immigration and the interior minister at a meeting last year. Response from both people............next question please.

It does seem ridiculous that a single retired person needs to have an income of 65K baht a month and or a savings in a thai bank of 800K or an annual combination of both amounting to 800K.

And yet the marriage visa for a farang (married to a Thai National) requires an income of 40K per month or 400K in the bank or indeed an annual combination of both amounting to 400K.

Why would a single retired Farang person require more than a farang married to a Thai under marriage visa rules

He ( the retired person) may well be married to a thai or indeed even single.. But it beats me and defies logic.as to the difference. But this is thailand and we just go with the flow in order to live here.

Hope you get things sorted

Regards

Retirement extension just entitles you to 1 year at the current conditions (so next year they might require 20,000,000bht in the bank)

Marriage extension counts towards, PR, Citizenship, you can apply for a WP on top and it freezes the restrictions at the time of your first application.

I find marriage extension no problem at all, I have loads in the bank and nobody ever suggested to me I apply for a retirement extension.

In fact, when I asked, immigration replied, you should apply for the extension that applies most to your situation.

But I can see how

1) Local immigration doesn't like to lose control (marriage is done in BK)

2) It's not about how much you need for a year, it's to do with your worth to Thailand (i.e. married person more valued than monger)

I have a retirement visa and considered moving to a marriage visa. Immigration stated "It seems that you have sufficient income and financial strength. Changing to a marriage visa only brings problems for the farang. It is controlled by BKK and is a lengthy and arduous process. Stay with the visa you have and avoid the problems of applying for a marriage visa every year."

The process causes me no problems at all,

1 extra trip to immigration for the approved stamp, no waiting in a queue

Home visit if they can be bothered, no advance notice, you are in when they call round or you aren't.

Once you have one marriage extension, as long as you can fulfill those exact same requirements each year, you can have extensions ad infinitum.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I agree - we must go with the flow, and I know that the legal requirement is more for retired. My post was in response to your post that is now edited down, so it doesn't really make as much sense as we cant see the original context. Its irrelevant now really anyway.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. My OP has been answered, so this thread has probably run its course anyway.

Thanks everyone for their input, its good to know that the marriage extension process doesn't end the same way it began - with a 5am Alarm. :)

Thanks

"The process causes me no problems at all,

1 extra trip to immigration for the approved stamp, no waiting in a queue

Home visit if they can be bothered, no advance notice, you are in when they call round or you aren't.

Once you have one marriage extension, as long as you can fulfill those exact same requirements each year, you can have extensions ad infinitum.

This post has been edited by sarahsbloke: Today, 09:07"

Just wait a little while longer and they will get around to you also. There is most certainly a bias against farangs who are here under the marriage visa. I was told by 3 different immigration officers I would be better off to do the resident visa, so whoever told you different, was the exception.

As far as raising the retirement visa requirement higher, there is probably just as good or better they will raise the marriage visa requirement. Just like other posters have said, if anything is out of line it is having the often single retiree needing more than the guy who is married with a family.

After 2 years on the retirement visa, I for one and a much happier camper every year when it comes time to renew.

1) wasn't the Thailand adopting Cambodias idea an April fools?

2) if you are over 50 and are married, why would it be more difficult financially to show less money?

I support my wife fine with the marriage extension required amount. I'd be so bold as to say I support her very well. We have a great life. Why would someone retired need more money?

You can go straight in. Good luck with it mate :)

Retired people are independent of Thailand, they 'chose' to live here,spend money and enjoy their remaining years. Thus the higher figure.

Conversely, a married man has responsibilities and is linked to Thailand by family. A mortgage, kids education etc. He can't exactly pick another country to go to and it's unrealistic to think a 30 year old married man has 800 000 baht sitting in the bank each year. A retired person on a good pension + super can do that easily.

I've been down there about 10 times now and having a child etc is also a big factor in their decision.