Step By Step - Buy A Car Mainland & Register It On Samui

robsamui

Sorry to sound dumb guys but I've hunted through this forum all day and just got more confused!

Simple enough idea: I live on Samui where there are few 2nd-hand cars and they're expensive. My idea is to go to Surat Thani for the day with a Thai chum and visit several used car sales lots. As far as I know Samui and Surat share the same regional/licensing rules so anything that's registered in Surat can later be sold on Samui with no problems (but please correct if I'm mistaken ...)

I need to be clear what documents I need to have supplied and what each of the steps is on the way to getting it registered in my name on Samui, so ...

a) Check - Samui is a part of the Surat Thani province as far as vehicle registration is concerned . . yes?

B) See car, pay cash for it in Surat. What docs/paperwork must I make sure I'm provided with in the process? (I'll probably keep it 4 or 5 years before selling.)

c) What is the process needed to transfer the ownership to my name?

c part 2) Can I have the transfer handled for me by a local agent? If so what paperwork would he need?

I guess that's about it!

Any advice would be welcome!

Cheers

Rob

ps I've been continually resident on Samui for 12 years, have Work Permit and Non Im B visa and 6 years bank statements showing income and tax-payment papers to support this.

The easiest way is to buy a car that is already registered in Surat :thumbsup:

yepp, saves a week of transfering docs from another province

If DLT accepts WP as proof of residence, all you need is WP and pasport. If they require certificate of residence, you get it from Immigration.

Bring owner and car to DLT. Require for transfer to your name. DLT will inspect cars identity. DLT will accept transfer, and as you live in Samui request transfer to be completed while you wait. When you can read your name and passportnumber as owner of car, you pay seller with a cashier check (proof of payment). Have a nice trip home :)

Why, dear sir, that is precisely what I propose! Did you not read my post?

Can I then later sell the car on Samui, or would I need to sell in Surat?

R

If DLT accepts WP as proof of residence, all you need is WP and pasport. If they require certificate of residence, you get it from Immigration.

Bring owner and car to DLT. Require for transfer to your name. DLT will inspect cars identity. DLT will accept transfer, and as you live in Samui request transfer to be completed while you wait. When you can read your name and passportnumber as owner of car, you pay seller with a cashier check (proof of payment). Have a nice trip home :)

Ah, thanks, I was hoping for a reply like this.

So I have to go with the owner to the Driving License Tent? Really? The two of us together? So if I buy a car in Surat Thani from a dealer, we have to both have to go together of the Surat DLT wossit? Cannot the seller provide proof of ID and a statement that he has sold the vehicle to me?

R

So I have to go with the owner to the Driving License Tent? Really? The two of us together? So if I buy a car in Surat Thani from a dealer, we have to both have to go together of the Surat DLT wossit? Cannot the seller provide proof of ID and a statement that he has sold the vehicle to me?

R

Seller usually wants to secure he gets payed, you would want to ensure you get the car and is the registered owner when you pay. Only place this can happen at the same time is DLT, Department of Land Transportation.

BTW Samui is in Surat

R

Seller usually wants to secure he gets payed, you would want to ensure you get the car and is the registered owner when you pay. Only place this can happen at the same time is DLT, Department of Land Transportation.

BTW Samui is in Surat

Thanks. (I was sure that DLT had nothing to do with tents! ;))

Edited by robsamui

DLT in Samui at least accepts your WP as proof of residence.

You will also need photocopies of all the pages in your work permit that have something entered on them, and also all the pages ( just to be sure ) in your passport that have been used as well as a copy of your Departure card ( TM ? ). Also I think the seller made need a photocopy of his ID as well.

Edited by gusG

DLT in Samui at least accepts your WP as proof of residence.

You will also need photocopies of all the pages in your work permit that have something entered on them, and also all the pages ( just to be sure ) in your passport that have been used as well as a copy of your Departure card ( TM ? ). Also I think the seller made need a photocopy of his ID as well.

and some DLT requirs to see orignal passport to compare with copy