Living In Rangsit

Tcharles955

I need to find a place near Thammasat University. Does anybody live in that area or have any suggestions?

I already know about Rangsit Apartments across from future park but I was looking for other options. Any sois or neighborhoods to check out would really be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Check out 9apartment.com . It has listings of apartments all over Bangkok. It has an English as well as a thai version (click on the English flag). There is also a search function to narrow your selections. One of the selections lists places that do daily rentals should you decide to rent daily while you check out long term rentals. Best of luck! MG

I am staying at Rangsit, too (near Klong 4) and have many colleagues here as well (foreign and Thai).

As far as I hear, there are many student type accommodations (i.e. very basic and very cheap). You'd have to walk through the alleys or ask your Thai friends to find them.

Rangsit Apartment is the obvious other (more upmarket) alternative and many of my foreign colleagues stay there. I looked at two or three similar places a year ago and could dig up the info if you need it (PM me).

In addition, you can find very reasonably priced houses near Rangsit, too. Townhouses are at Bt10k or less. I have a huge bungalow with garden for Bt23k, which I share with two others (and thus get a much better place than an apartment for less money).

Good luck - and if you feel like hanging out for a dinner or beer, send me a message (Country Place next to Future Park is a good venue for this!).

Edited by beppi

One other place you might consider if you are willing to go just 1 more km more away from Thammasat is Muang Ake. As Rangsit University is right there there are literally hundreds of apartments, townhouses and apartments for rent. You can get an entire 3 bedroom townhouse there for less than you'll pay for a 1 bedroom at Rangsit Apartments. Lots of university students all over if you are interested in mingling with a young Thai crowd. There are probably 30 or more apartment buildings in the area, but they don't generally have websites.

There are some drawbacks though. The market at Muang Ake is only open 5 days a week and only in the late afternoon and early evening. Rangsit Market by contrast is open all the time and much better stocked. You also don't say if you have a car. The same busses you would take from Rangsit Apartments to Thammasat are available from Muang Ake, but you need to take a songtaew to get out to Pahonyothin.

The other nice thing about Rangsit Apartments is that Future Park is within walking distance. That kind of convenience is hard to beat, but you do pay for that location in the price.

If you do have a car, a place you may want to consider is The Next Rangsit. It is about 1.5 km down from Rangsit University towards Wat Nawong. The songtaew doesn't get down this far, so it isn't really practical without your own transport unless you want to take a taxi everyday, but it is a very up and coming spot, with lots of activity in the area. You could do a motorcycle taxi, but that would be about 6 km trek out to Pahonyothin Road...a bit far on a motorcycle every morning.

http://thenextrangsit.exteen.com

Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy living in Rangsit. It has become incredibly crowded these last few years as many people realized what those of us who have been here for a while knew all along. It's simply a convenient and fun place to be. Traffic is becoming murderous though.