Border Clashes May Force Thai Gov't To Postpone Parliament Dissolution

webfact

Interior Minister: Border Clashes Might Delay Parliament Dissolution

The INN new agency is reporting that Interior Minister Chaovarat Charnveerakul has admitted that recent border clashes between Thailand and Cambodia could force the government to delay the dissolution of Parliament.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-26

footer_n.gif

Defense Minister Vows to Protect Thai Sovereignty

The defense minister has reaffirmed that the military is capable of protecting the country's sovereignty from Cambodian invasion.

He believes the two countries will work out a solution.

Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan said the military will make sure that not a single inch of Thailand's soil is lost to Cambodia.

He said that when Cambodia attacks, Thailand will respond in exactly the same manner to protect the country's sovereignty.

He added the army has operation units standing ready in the area to prevent any invasion by Cambodia.

Prawit said, however, that he believed the two countries will be able to find a solution to the border stand-off since talks are scheduled at next month's ASEAN Summit.

At the same time, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva will participate in the summit and will use the opportunity to discuss the issue among other national leaders.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Chawarat Charnvirakul admitted the clashes along the Thai-Cambodian border could delay the House dissolution.

However, it is believed that the caretaker government should be able to run the country well.

Deputy Commerce Minister Alongkorn Polabutr said only two Thai-Cambodian checkpoints remain closed.

They are Chong Jom checkpoint in Surin province and Sa Ngam checkpoint in Si Sa Ket province.

It is estimated that the clashes would impact the border trade by about five percent or about 10 million baht per day.

After five days of fighting, it was further confirmed that there would be no closure of any more checkpoint.

Alongkorn further said he would discuss the matter with other economic ministers during the ASEAN Summit.

He wanted to separate the battle from trade between the two countries.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-26

footer_n.gif

Cabinet meeting today could b clouded with the border issues and their possible effects on election time frame. /via@tulsathit

This is what I am thinking. The Cambodia PM is close to Thaksin ($$) so if Cambodia cuases border problem during the election then the Government will look very bad so could lose the election, but this is just me

Edited by givenall

Cabinet meeting today could b clouded with the border issues and their possible effects on election time frame. /via@tulsathit

This is what I am thinking. The Cambodia PM is close to Thaksin ($) so if Cambodia cuases border problem during the election then the Government will look very bad so could lose the election, but this is just me

Then again, most people rally around their government in power during a war situation.So unless someone, somehow, changes the national dynamic, it would benefit the Dems, if it's handled well.

Bush had most everyone on his side because ' we back our president in war time' Even those that saw the lies early on, still went along, because that's what you do.

Edited by animatic

'givenall' timestamp='1303816617' post='4382741']

'webfact' timestamp='1303792915' post='4382019']

This is what I am thinking. The Cambodia PM is close to Thaksin ($) so if Cambodia cuases border problem during the election then the Government will look very bad so could lose the election, but this is just me

I have a feeling you have this issue somewhat askew , there is no reason for Cambodia to be concerned with Thai elections and for what reason would they want the Thai government to look bad and to whom ?

The frame of the elections are a lot of concern to some Thai factions plus the military who often seem to have a point of their own to make on how the country is being run as it affects their hidden agenda , it is a smoke screen to aid these factions .

Thailand is making a laughing stock of itself in other parts of the world simply because there is an apparent discrepancy on who is supposed to be running the countries affairs and who is actually in charge at various times and during varying conditions/requirements .

Let the finger pointing begin , much like the gladiators of old Rome , much posturing and ado about little that is relevant to more serious matters at hand , about time they all settled down to doing what needs to be done for the country as a whole .

Let the finger pointing begin , much like the gladiators of old Rome , much posturing and ado about little that is relevant to more serious matters at hand , about time they all settled down to doing what needs to be done for the country as a whole .

You are correct the finger pointing has begun yesterday it was the fault of the non visiting mediators and today UNESCO is to blame , taking responsibility is not something they seem capable of.

The government has had their chance over this land this is very much closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The majority of everyday Thai folk I chat with are not concerned over what is a small area of land they are more concerned about the boys that have to lay down their lives for it.

Edited by dumpling