Thai-Cambodia clashes continue into fifth day

News_Editor

Thai-Cambodia clashes continue into fifth day

2011-04-26 20:08:30 GMT+7 (ICT)

BANGKOK, THAILAND (BNO NEWS) -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Tuesday ordered a review of bilateral relations with Cambodia as border clashes continue to spread in the neighboring countries for the fifth consecutive day.

Both countries have confirmed clashes near the Preah Vihear temple on Tuesday, which is around 160 kilometers (100 miles) east of the Ta Krabey temple, where fighting has continued, but no reports of casualties have been released in the latest clashes.

At least 12 soldiers from both countries have been killed during the the recent clashes, which continues to worsen. On Monday, clashes erupted near the Ta Muen Thom temple in Thailand's eastern Surin province, causing about 25,000 residents to evacuate the area.

Previously, Thailand's Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya had suggested the government to review its relation with Cambodia at the weekly Cabinet meeting, while Thailand's National army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha had stated that the government was currently discussing whether or not to go to war with Cambodia over the disputed border.

On Tuesday, Thai government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said the cabinet passed a three-part resolution disclosing retaliatory militarily action to push Cambodian soldiers out of the disputed area; diplomatic efforts to bring Cambodia back to bilateral talks; and all ministries are to review work plans and mechanisms involving cooperation with Cambodia.

Both Cambodia and Thailand claim the 4.6 square kilometer area near the ancient Preah Vihear temple on their shared border, which has never been formally established. Cambodia requested Indonesian observers to mediate in the conflict but Thailand denied.

Tensions first escalated between the two countries in July 2008 following the build-up of military forces near the Preah Vihear temple. The United Nations Security Council urged both sides to establish a permanent ceasefire after at least 10 people were killed.

Clashes resumed in February as both nations claim the lands surrounding the ancient Hindu Temple, which has been damaged due to the conflict. The Preah Vihear temple dates back to the 11th century and is located on the Cambodian side of the border.

In 2008, it was inscribed on the World Heritage List in recognition of its outstanding universal value. It is considered an outstanding example of Khmer architecture and consists of a complex of sanctuaries linked by pavements and staircases on an 800-metre-long axis.

Thailand and Cambodia are scheduled to meet in next month's ASEAN summit, which is scheduled to take place in Indonesia. In addition, Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya also has an appointment to meet with ASEAN chairman Marty Natalegawa on Thursday.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-26

What a bunch of children!!

Imagine all the unnecessary deaths and most probable retaliation in the future in the form of terrorist activities on Thai soil (most likely the Thais would win in a full scale war).

Thai mentality: If I can't have it, neither can you!

Just declare the darn property a jointly owned one. Oh hell, let it become the new ASEAN headquarters or an equivalent of the Vatican.

The evil inside would actually love to see what the Thai military is really good for. Let 'em at it?

I notice the calm reaction from the Cambodian side over this provocations, as if the whole situation is self-explaining, - and it is ...

The Thai govt would like it the other way round though so that they could setup a hypocratic path somehow.

Nobody as blind and deaf than the Thai govt I think ...

"Thailand's National army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha had stated that the government was currently discussing whether or not to go to war with Cambodia over the disputed border."

and what is happening now? little play?

Is Thailand's National army chief proposing and discussing to go into all out war, as in trying to invade Cambodia?

i hope he has enough sense to actually think of the consequences for Thailand, not only in terms of life loss but economic problems to come. Cambodia has nothing to lose compared to Thailand and certainly has more experience living in war alike conditions

Very convenient the fighting between Thailand and Cambodia.

How can we dissolve the Parliament with the ongoing war effort?

More of the status quo, more time on the side of the powers that be to show that they care and are ready to defend the etc., etc.,etc...

I have seen this same ploy so many times in by politicos in South American banana republics!

The Third World is alive and well in Siam.

It saddens me to see such waste of talent, beauty, resources and lives on both sides.

:(

"Thailand's National army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha had stated that the government was currently discussing whether or not to go to war with Cambodia over the disputed border."

and what is happening now? little play?

Is Thailand's National army chief proposing and discussing to go into all out war, as in trying to invade Cambodia?

i hope he has enough sense to actually think of the consequences for Thailand, not only in terms of life loss but economic problems to come. Cambodia has nothing to lose compared to Thailand and certainly has more experience living in war alike conditions

I guess the RTA chief will just 'suggest' to make sure the Cambodian Forces stay on 'their' side of the border.

As for Cambodians with more experience living in war, true, true. The RTA may be accused of many things, but compared with their Cambodian counterparts they are babes in diapers. Lucky Thai :ermm:

Thailand, Cambodia eye truce as fighting spreads

by Janesara Fugal

PHANOM DONG RAK (AFP) - Thailand and Cambodia were preparing Tuesday for ceasefire talks after a new front opened in their worst border fighting in recent history, in which 13 troops have died.

Tens of thousands of civilians have been forced to flee their homes on both sides as heavy weapons fire pounded the jungle frontier, shattering a fragile truce that had held since February.

"Cambodian Defence Minister Tea Banh has agreed to meet his Thai counterpart in Phnom Penh shortly to discuss a ceasefire between the two countries," the Cambodian defence ministry said in a statement.

Thai Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwon indicated that he was ready for dialogue with his Cambodian counterpart.

"We will have an opportunity to talk and there will be no problem. I think the situation will ease within a few days," he told reporters in Thailand during a visit to the border area.

The two armies exchanged fire Tuesday near the 900-year-old Preah Vihear temple, which has been the focus of strained relations between the neighbours since it was granted UN World Heritage status in 2008.

Fighting erupted near the ruins at 1:30 pm (0630 GMT) and lasted for 30 minutes, said Thai army spokesman Colonel Prawit Hookaew.

"They fired artillery and mortar and we retaliated," he said.

Cambodia blamed Thailand for starting the clash, which broke out in an area that had been relatively calm for two months and is 150 kilometres (90 miles) east of two other disputed temple complexes that have been the scene of fierce fighting since Friday.

In February 10 people were killed near the Preah Vihear temple, prompting a UN appeal for a permanent ceasefire.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Monday urged Thailand and Cambodia to show restraint and said Washington was "deeply concerned".

She said that the United States had engaged directly with Thai and Cambodian officials in hopes of ending the violence, without providing further details.

The neighbours agreed in late February to allow observers from Indonesia into the area near Preah Vihear.

But the Thai military has since said the monitors are not welcome and they have not been deployed.

Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said on Tuesday that Bangkok would review its policy towards Cambodia including trade, border checkpoints and cooperation at all levels, but would not sever diplomatic ties.

Kasit is due to hold talks with Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa, whose country is the current chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations regional bloc, on Thursday in Jakarta.

"Thailand will inform him that Thailand agrees to international observers but Cambodian troops must withdraw from Preah Vihear," Thai government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that the temple belonged to Cambodia, but both countries claim ownership of a 4.6-square-kilometre (1.8-square-mile) surrounding area.

Eight Cambodian soldiers and five Thai troops have died in the latest fighting further west along the border, while another Cambodian soldier is missing.

Thailand said nearly 26,000 people had been evacuated on its side of the border and were being housed in 22 shelters. Three districts -- Phanom Dong Rak, Kap Choeng and Prasat -- have been declared emergency areas.

More than 23,000 people have been displaced by the fighting on the Cambodian side, authorities have said.

Cambodia has accused Thailand of using spy planes and poisonous gas in the recent fighting -- which Bangkok has strongly denied.

The fighting comes at a sensitive political time for Thailand, with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva preparing to dissolve the lower house of parliament soon for elections he has said will be held by early July.

Abhisit said on Tuesday that the clashes would not derail his poll plan.

"The border problem will not affect the house dissolution because there will be a caretaker government which has full authority," he told reporters, adding that it was possible that the vote date could be announced next

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-27

Thailand, Cambodia eye truce as fighting spreads

by Janesara Fugal

PHANOM DONG RAK (AFP) - Thailand and Cambodia were preparing Tuesday for ceasefire talks after a new front opened in their worst border fighting in recent history, in which 13 troops have died.

Tens of thousands of civilians have been forced to flee their homes on both sides as heavy weapons fire pounded the jungle frontier, shattering a fragile truce that had held since February.

"Cambodian Defence Minister Tea Banh has agreed to meet his Thai counterpart in Phnom Penh shortly to discuss a ceasefire between the two countries," the Cambodian defence ministry said in a statement.

Thai Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwon indicated that he was ready for dialogue with his Cambodian counterpart.

"We will have an opportunity to talk and there will be no problem. I think the situation will ease within a few days," he told reporters in Thailand during a visit to the border area.

The two armies exchanged fire Tuesday near the 900-year-old Preah Vihear temple, which has been the focus of strained relations between the neighbours since it was granted UN World Heritage status in 2008.

Fighting erupted near the ruins at 1:30 pm (0630 GMT) and lasted for 30 minutes, said Thai army spokesman Colonel Prawit Hookaew.

"They fired artillery and mortar and we retaliated," he said.

Cambodia blamed Thailand for starting the clash, which broke out in an area that had been relatively calm for two months and is 150 kilometres (90 miles) east of two other disputed temple complexes that have been the scene of fierce fighting since Friday.

In February 10 people were killed near the Preah Vihear temple, prompting a UN appeal for a permanent ceasefire.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Monday urged Thailand and Cambodia to show restraint and said Washington was "deeply concerned".

She said that the United States had engaged directly with Thai and Cambodian officials in hopes of ending the violence, without providing further details.

The neighbours agreed in late February to allow observers from Indonesia into the area near Preah Vihear.

But the Thai military has since said the monitors are not welcome and they have not been deployed.

Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said on Tuesday that Bangkok would review its policy towards Cambodia including trade, border checkpoints and cooperation at all levels, but would not sever diplomatic ties.

Kasit is due to hold talks with Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa, whose country is the current chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations regional bloc, on Thursday in Jakarta.

"Thailand will inform him that Thailand agrees to international observers but Cambodian troops must withdraw from Preah Vihear," Thai government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that the temple belonged to Cambodia, but both countries claim ownership of a 4.6-square-kilometre (1.8-square-mile) surrounding area.

Eight Cambodian soldiers and five Thai troops have died in the latest fighting further west along the border, while another Cambodian soldier is missing.

Thailand said nearly 26,000 people had been evacuated on its side of the border and were being housed in 22 shelters. Three districts -- Phanom Dong Rak, Kap Choeng and Prasat -- have been declared emergency areas.

More than 23,000 people have been displaced by the fighting on the Cambodian side, authorities have said.

Cambodia has accused Thailand of using spy planes and poisonous gas in the recent fighting -- which Bangkok has strongly denied.

The fighting comes at a sensitive political time for Thailand, with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva preparing to dissolve the lower house of parliament soon for elections he has said will be held by early July.

Abhisit said on Tuesday that the clashes would not derail his poll plan.

"The border problem will not affect the house dissolution because there will be a caretaker government which has full authority," he told reporters, adding that it was possible that the vote date could be announced next

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-27

The accusations by Cambodia of Thailand using spy planes and poisonous gas are reminiscent of the border spat between Thailand and Laos at Ban Rom Klao in 1987/88. The Lao accused Thailand of using poisonous gas then, which nobody was able to independently verify, as the Thai banned all journalists, Thai and foreign from getting anywhere near the battlezone and more or less denied there was any fighting going on at all. However, I met an ex-soldier in Sayaburi in 1997 who told me he had been there and was gassed and lost several comrades. Sounded like a type of mustard gas. So who does one believe in this instance, when Thailand won't even let ASEAN monitors in to the war zone?

Border villages are now ghost towns

By The Nation

Residents from the border areas caught up in the fighting between Thai and Cambodian troops live in a world of anxiety and pray for an early end to the violence.

The attacks have continued for four days after breaking out last Friday, with the conflict now spreading to Si Sa Ket and Buri Ram, from the first exchange in Surin near the historic Ta Kwai Temple.

Sporadic small-arm fire keepsrefugees living in many shelters awake, besides the shelling by both sides, while civil defence volunteers and male villagers constantly patrol their homes to guard against theft and break-ins.

Villages in areas where evacuation was ordered have turned into ghost towns especially at night, with foot patrols the only sign of human activity. All patrol members are equipped with shotguns and fully charged mobile phones to report situations or emergencies, along with torchlights and instant food.

Lights have been ordered dimmed by the military at night in most villages to minimise the risk of them becoming targets of mortar and artillery fire, while the shortage of petrol, water, food and other supplies is intensifying.

Petrol companies have cut back their tankers' trips to service stations to prevent carjacking or possible explosion from friendly or hostile fire. Cassava farmers are worried about their crops.

Some filling stations in Surin and the other two provinces have had to close after deliveries stopped, while shops now close at dusk, prompting further fears of shortages.

Some monks have moved out of their temple, leaving only two behind including the abbot, who have to depend on soldiers for their meals, as they have to skip their morning walks to beg for food.

Sakol Sangsamanan, a patrol member, said his village Thai Niyom was the last civilian location in Surin's Phanom Dong Rak district, next to operational areas announced by the military.

"Always a meeting place between Thais and Cambodians, the village is now unsafe," he said.

He complained about exhaustion due to a lack of sleep but said he was determined to continue his guard duty.

"I'm worried about my family and miss all of them," he said of his children and cousins, now staying at a shelter.

Kasem Thongthawee, a villager, said cassava farmers want to harvest the ripe roots but were restricted from entering their plantations by the military.

"They can't sell the cassava to factories anyway, because most of them have closed,"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-27

I would think both Thailand and Cambodia should be excludedfrom participating in ASEAN countries till they stopfighting and do real negotiation. They both have a lot to lose but I thinkCambodia has most to lose

I like your Post and in my personal opinion...both are losers. Look at Indonesia is growing so fast in Economy as well as Laos and Vietnam. I am so sad when I read about their countries....Anyone can get mad about my comment and I will not debate because, I love the Thai and her people.

Culturally and ethnically Thais and Cambodians are as close as the British and the Germans, and as we all know they waged two major wars against each other, dragging in most of the world in the process.

Thailand and Cambodia in modern parlance are like two rival football clubs, unfortunately their supporters have guns and tanks, not just sticks and stones, Totally infantile behaviour.

I notice the calm reaction from the Cambodian side over this provocations, as if the whole situation is self-explaining, - and it is ...

The Thai govt would like it the other way round though so that they could setup a hypocratic path somehow.

How much is Mr Thaksin paying Hun Sen to escalate this dispute before an election? Just speculation but an interesting idea, eh?

How much is Mr Thaksin paying Hun Sen to escalate this dispute before an election? Just speculation but an interesting idea, eh?

He did say he has a warm place in his heart for Thaksin but I have no idea how much a warm heart costs in Cambodia.laugh.gif

Don't know about that. Nothing beats a good war for increasing popularity of incumbent Governments. Just look at recent history.

"Both sides have accused each other of starting the clashes"

Perhaps a 3rd party Black shirt fired a mortar - and hey, we have another war...

So easy to start a war these days... especially at a crucial election time...

Amazing what discusting lows these political games can stoop too.

thats my temple, no thats my temple, no thats mine....

Yeah right...

The kindergarten Elite of asia...

What a bunch of children!!

Imagine all the unnecessary deaths and most probable retaliation in the future in the form of terrorist activities on Thai soil (most likely the Thais would win in a full scale war).

Thai mentality: If I can't have it, neither can you!

Just declare the darn property a jointly owned one. Oh hell, let it become the new ASEAN headquarters or an equivalent of the Vatican.

The evil inside would actually love to see what the Thai military is really good for. Let 'em at it?

It would be great if both Thailand and Cambodia could agree to giving the territory to an independent organization, but quite unlikely.

Much of the misunderstanding comes from the Khmer Rouge killing off the educated people and Cambodia subsequently developing an overinflated opinion of their history.

The Khmer Empire was overcome by bubonic plague. When Siam discovered that, they helped the people rebuild their country - origin of the name Cambodia, origin of the old capitol, U-Thong, named for the first King of Ayuttaya, and why Cambodia's Royal Palace is a carbon copy of Thailand's Royal Palace...

Following the purge of the Khmer Rouge, Thailand again sent artizans to assist Cambodia with rebuilding...

However, Cambodia is ungrateful and wishes to expand it's borders even more.

I have attached an old map showing Cambodia prior to France redesigning the area into what it is today.

From the satellite view of the temple it looks like the geography should have dictated that Thailand would own that land. But they don't , so why not let the "superior" Thais make a fat cash offer to the poor Khmers and buy the land if they want it so badly? Money talks. Problem solved.

The Khmer Empire was overcome by bubonic plague. When Siam discovered that, they helped the people rebuild their country - origin of the name Cambodia, origin of the old capitol, U-Thong, named for the first King of Ayuttaya, and why Cambodia's Royal Palace is a carbon copy of Thailand's Royal Palace...

Your version of history is completely bogus. The Khmer Empire was sacked by the Thais and that's why some of the dancing traditions and architecture have been adopted by Thais because they looted it. SE Asian empires looted each other after every conflict that's why those jade and gold plated buddhas traded hands so many times.