My Thailand And Why I Love It.

IanForbes

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not over yet! ph34r.gif On to the Garden.

Agreed. It ain't over until the fat lady sings, and I ain't hearing her singing just yet. If the Canucks get a split in Boston I think they'll wrap it up, but if the Bruins win both games in Boston it's anybodies cup to win.

but they way Boston has been playing in the last 2 games.. I'd say you're finally gunna have the cup up there. ( I can't believe I just typed that, a Bruins fan of almost 60 years...)

It's not over yet! ph34r.gif On to the Garden.

Agreed. It ain't over until the fat lady sings, and I ain't hearing her singing just yet. If the Canucks get a split in Boston I think they'll wrap it up, but if the Bruins win both games in Boston it's anybodies cup to win.

Fat ladies in Boston? :rolleyes:

Is there anything but? :blink::lol:

As far as the Finns winning the world cup, T-dog, that is because when it was being played all the best Canadian players are still competing for the Stanley Cup. B)

As far as the Finns winning the world cup, T-dog, that is because when it was being played all the best Canadian players are still competing for the Stanley Cup. B)

Seem to remember something about Canada beating Finland in the Olympics...yes?

Back on topic here is a one reason why one has got to love Thailand pic...NOT in Changmai....

post-36430-0-15429300-1307412773_thumb.j

Seem to remember something about Canada beating Finland in the Olympics...yes?

Back on topic here is a one reason why one has got to love Thailand pic...NOT in Changmai....

Is that your boat, David? Nice. For the ocean sailor, Thailand is ideal if you can find safe moorage. It is hard to beat the weather, warm water and beautiful surroundings.

We drove our rental car from Phuket to Krabi one day and stopped at Phang Nga Bay where we rented a boat to take us to James Bond Island. The boat tour was worth the cost of about 1000 baht. It ran down a river lined in mangrove trees before opening into the bay dotted with limestone islands.

Phang_Nga_bay_1.jpg

Phang_Nga_bay19.jpg

Phang_Nga_bay30.jpg

Along the way we detoured through caves in the limestone islands

Phang_Nga_bay_23.jpg

Phang_Nga_bay_22.jpg

Besides the spectacular scenery, there were ancient rock paintings depicting a variety of scenes.

Rock_paintings_2.jpg

Rock_paintings_3.jpg

The island was originally called Koh Tapu, but after the 1974 movie (Man with a golden gun) starring Roger Moore as James Bond, the name was changed to James Bond Island in a successful attempt to attract tourists to the area. It truly is worth visiting. Tourists visit from both Phang Nga Bay and Krabi. There really isn't much to do on the actual island and we only stayed there about an hour. Then it was back on the boat to do more local touring.

James_Bond_Isle_12.jpg

James_Bond_Isle_6.jpg

James_Bond_Isle_17.jpg

James_Bond_Isle_13.jpg

James_Bond_Isle_18.jpg

We ended up stopping at a floating fishing village where the locals appeared to be catching reef fish for sale to the aquairium trade. At least that is all I seemed to see in the dozens of ocean net pens. The stop was for a meal and hopefully to sell us a bunch of pretty shells the locals had for sale.

Phang_Nga_bay_28.jpg

And now I've really had enough....

Having made the mistake of visiting James Bond Island as a tourist (before I retired here), I was telling everyone it was a place to avoid.

Last year, when a friend came to visit and wanted to look, I went again.... It was as horrendous as I remembered it. The 'water village' was no better either - the locals now earn their living from tourists.

The limestone caves and aquatic life are definitely worth a visit though, just not the island itself.

Edit - Do you work for TAT?

Edited by F1fanatic

Ians pictures are great, but I remember being fairly unimpressed with the area when I visited years ago. Actually all of Ians pictures are incredible. He should work for the tourist authority. The pictures make Thailand look like the country that I want it to be. :D

What a lovely post! I love post's like this! I think the gent who posted should work for the tourist agency because his photo's are much better than the one's in my book's.

It certainly made me want to revisit the place .

Has anyone been to Pai( hope I got it right)?

I am told that is a few hour's from changmai and also very charming

What a lovely post! I love post's like this! I think the gent who posted should work for the tourist agency because his photo's are much better than the one's in my book's.

It certainly made me want to revisit the place .

Has anyone been to Pai( hope I got it right)?

I am told that is a few hour's from changmai and also very charming

Ian's Pai photos

yup makes Thailand the place we all want it to be for sure...it is a wonderful tropical paradise including it's faults as viewed by some farangs...keep it up great thread....Thailand and life here is what we make it...

oh and since the only fish I ever manage to catch are in the market here (except for all the bloody Dog Fish in Desolation Sound)your astounding catches make me sick!!! lol

post-36430-0-66713000-1307491405_thumb.j

yup makes Thailand the place we all want it to be for sure...it is a wonderful tropical paradise including it's faults as viewed by some farangs...keep it up great thread....Thailand and life here is what we make it...

oh and since the only fish I ever manage to catch are in the market here (except for all the bloody Dog Fish in Desolation Sound)your astounding catches make me sick!!! lol

In your photo I see a cute, happy gal on a beautiful beach, David. What could be better than that?

It that is indeed your sail boat and inflatable tender then supplementing the food supply with the occasional bottom fish should not be a problem. My experience has taught me that most bottom fish like a rocky shoal off a point of land. It's true in Canada as well as being true in Thailand. I know that F1fanatic does not like seeing people kill reef fish, but if you learn your species it's easy enough to separate the fish that should be released from the ones to make a meal. I never harvest too many in any occasion. It's inexpensive enough to buy a fish from a Thai market. The off shore pelagic species like barracuda will take a fast moving lure trolled behind a sail boat.

Spotted grouper are good eating...

Sea_food_2.sized.jpg

I don't know the name of this species, but they are good eating. I've seen them in big schools when diving.

Sea_food_3.sized.jpg

These were taken by kids fishing off a dock, but I would never keep fish this small

Sea_food_4.jpg

In your photo I see a cute, happy gal on a beautiful beach, David. What could be better than that?

It that is indeed your sail boat and inflatable tender then supplementing the food supply with the occasional bottom fish should not be a problem. My experience has taught me that most bottom fish like a rocky shoal off a point of land. It's true in Canada as well as being true in Thailand. I know that F1fanatic does not like seeing people kill reef fish, but if you learn your species it's easy enough to separate the fish that should be released from the ones to make a meal. I never harvest too many in any occasion. It's inexpensive enough to buy a fish from a Thai market. The off shore pelagic species like barracuda will take a fast moving lure trolled behind a sail boat.

Spotted grouper are good eating...

Sea_food_2.sized.jpg

I don't know the name of this species, but they are good eating. I've seen them in big schools when diving.

Sea_food_3.sized.jpg

These were taken by kids fishing off a dock, but I would never keep fish this small

Sea_food_4.jpg

Thanks Ian..your right of course.. perhaps exaggerated my inept fishing a touch as used to catch rock/ling cod and red snapper in BC at locations you suggest...almost always had a crab trap down too...here in Thailand the cute little wife pictured has caught lamprey and other odd things ..even squid.... me ..nadda...

...we are "on the beach" now farming so it's the fish market for the table...

Still amazes me the amount of species and the quantity of fish in every market! I always think surely this wonderful resource cannot sustain this level of fishing for ever??

When you think of the depletion of the stocks in BC waters.(remember sailing past ..actually he was passing me.. lol.. an Orca off Point Atkinson)....makes you think.......knew a guy years go that said in his "youth"...he could practically walk across the herring from Nanaimo to Newcastle Island when they were running ..

thanks again

cheers

david

post-36430-0-13410900-1307573094_thumb.j

thanks Ian, feel free to continue to post pictures :) The only part that scared me was the picture with the guy hanging by a wire.

You DO know what happens when drug deals go sour, don't you? :blink: Other than that it's a paying proposition.:lol:

They just elimenated another one locally, here in Canada.

Still amazes me the amount of species and the quantity of fish in every market! I always think surely this wonderful resource cannot sustain this level of fishing for ever??

When you think of the depletion of the stocks in BC waters.(remember sailing past ..actually he was passing me.. lol.. an Orca off Point Atkinson)....makes you think.......knew a guy years go that said in his "youth"...he could practically walk across the herring from Nanaimo to Newcastle Island when they were running ..

thanks again

cheers

david

F1Fanatic has a point when she says the fishermen are over harvesting the local ocean stocks. They keep everything no matter how small it is or what species it is. This fellow was keeping everything he caught including some tiny red snappers... He used the Baracuda I caught for bait.

Barracuda_1.jpg

Hand_lining_2.jpg

Spotted_grouper_2_001.jpg

I was fly fishing with minnow patterns and caught this little Grunt. They call them Grunts because that is the sound they make when taken out of the water.

Grunt.jpg

And a little snapper, but released them before my guide could put them in the ice chest.

Snapper_2.jpg

I was hoping for some of the Jack Trevallys that I saw while diving, but no such luck. Jacks are great fighters and get quite big.

3_trevally.jpg

Besides the one baracuda I also caught a nice gar fish that cut my line just before I got it into the boat. We didn't have a net and his snapping teeth cut the mono behind the wire leader.

Gar_fish_2.jpg

I think that is a gar fish that you are hauling onto your sailboat.

When I first visited Phuket it was with the intention of doing some snorkling and diving, but I discovered that most of the dive boats traveled quite a distance from the island province. I quickly learned that the beautiful beaches of Phuket were the poorest areas for seeing marine life. Mai Khao beach is lovely, and goes on for miles, but the sea life leaves a bit to be desired.

Phuket_Mai_Khao_beach_Em.jpg

What I kept hearing from local divers was the off shore islands, like the Similan Islands and Koh Miang National Park, were the place to visit for sea life. I thought I would try exploring on my own before hiring a trip on a dive boat. I've been stung before by going that route. I rented a motorbike and rode the 70 km north to Kao Lak and stayed in a beach shack that I rented from a Thai family. From Kah Lak I took a ferry to the Similan Islands and stayed over night in a rented tent. What I discovered was crystal clear water and great reefs for snorking.

Similan_beach_5.jpg

Similan_Island.jpg

Similan_beach_2.jpg

Similan_shoal_3.jpg

Similan_beach_8.jpg

Similan_shoal_4.jpg

And as long as I stayed near the rocky areas, the reefs didn't disappoint. The numbers and variety of fish was amazing.

Similan_under_water_3.jpg

Similan_under_water_2.jpg

Including this curious Trigger fish.

Triggerfish1.jpg

I'd give up on the Similans too - although to be fair its a couple of years since I took a liveaboard there.

Its depressing the way Thailand has turned from one of the top diving destinations to a destination that is pretty much not worth visiting.

I'd give up on the Similans too - although to be fair its a couple of years since I took a liveaboard there.

Its depressing the way Thailand has turned from one of the top diving destinations to a destination that is pretty much not worth visiting.

I understand what you are saying, F1fanatic, but sometimes you have to try and look at it with the fresh eyes of a new comer. It is too easy to become jaded when surrounded by so much beauty. I do know that commercial fishermen encroach on the so called "protected" National Parks, but is a huge job for authorities to hunt the ocean for the violators. And, the decline in coral reefs is a problem that extends across the whole globe. People on the divers forum can explain it better than me. A lot has to do with ocean polution. Just dropping anchors over a popular dive site will ruin the area in time.

But, there is still a lot to see and enjoy. And, there are still a few sharks about..They haven't all gone into making shark fin soup.

Blackfin_shark_1.jpg

Blackfin_sharks.sized.jpg

My ears no longer seem to take the deep water pressure and I think my diving days are over, but I still like to snorkle and there's still lots to see..

Clown_fish.sized.jpg

reef_fish_2jpg.sized.jpg

Spotted_Grunt.jpg

Coral_reef_1.jpg

Orange_lined_Triggerfish.jpg

Reef_fish_3.jpg

Threadfin_Butterflyfish.jpg

Butterflyfish_4.jpg

I enjoy painting water colours and if I have time I bring my art supplies with me on trips. Being an ardent angler, I've painted many fish that I've caught, and it doesn't matter what species. But, because I don't catch the coral reef marine species I have to go by pictures, or what I see in the wild. I didn't always have a good underwater camera and I had to remember what I was looking at and then put it on paper. That usually became a complex issue. I needed the fish around me constantly to get a good look at them and remember their shape and colour. I did that in stages. I went back to shore and drew several sketches of their shape. Then I went back and took another look to see their various colour patterns and drew an outline of them on my original sketches. Then I made notes of where each colour should be placed. Finally, I would go back to my room with my paints to do the final job. Then, came the process of trying to figure out what fish I had painted. That was the hard part and I still haven't figured them all out. Some I just took a guess at. These sketches were done in 1998 and that was before I had internet access in Thailand. I went to the library and book stores in Bangkok and tried to find names to the fish that I had painted.

Ian_painting_1.jpg

001_G.jpg

001_G.jpg

002_G.jpg

003_G.jpg

004_G.jpg

005_G.jpg

006_G.jpg

007_G.jpg

008_G.jpg

009_G.jpg

I understand what you are saying, F1fanatic, but sometimes you have to try and look at it with the fresh eyes of a new comer. It is too easy to become jaded when surrounded by so much beauty. I do know that commercial fishermen encroach on the so called "protected" National Parks, but is a huge job for authorities to hunt the ocean for the violators. And, the decline in coral reefs is a problem that extends across the whole globe. People on the divers forum can explain it better than me. A lot has to do with ocean polution. Just dropping anchors over a popular dive site will ruin the area in time.

But, there is still a lot to see and enjoy. And, there are still a few sharks about..They haven't all gone into making shark fin soup.

Blackfin_shark_1.jpg

Blackfin_sharks.sized.jpg

My ears no longer seem to take the deep water pressure and I think my diving days are over, but I still like to snorkle and there's still lots to see..

Clown_fish.sized.jpg

reef_fish_2jpg.sized.jpg

Spotted_Grunt.jpg

Coral_reef_1.jpg

Orange_lined_Triggerfish.jpg

Reef_fish_3.jpg

Threadfin_Butterflyfish.jpg

Butterflyfish_4.jpg

Umm, no. I'm not 'jaded'. The reefs have been destroyed compared to when I first came here and, whereas Leopard Sharks were two a penny, they're now a rare sight.

The Similans/Burma Banks trip I took was even more of a disappointment. I did a similar trip a few years ago and was amazed at the number of large fish and sharks.

When I went a couple of years ago there were no large fish and only a couple of sharks in 10 days! To be fair though, there were lots of octopus, which made the trip worthwhile.

Umm, no. I'm not 'jaded'. The reefs have been destroyed compared to when I first came here and, whereas Leopard Sharks were two a penny, they're now a rare sight.

The Similans/Burma Banks trip I took was even more of a disappointment. I did a similar trip a few years ago and was amazed at the number of large fish and sharks.

When I went a couple of years ago there were no large fish and only a couple of sharks in 10 days! To be fair though, there were lots of octopus, which made the trip worthwhile.

I understand what you are saying, F1fanatic, but as a foreigner in Thailand there isn't anything we can do about it. It has to start from the Thai authorities.

Large, pelagic marine fish rely on an abundance of food. Take away what they eat and they go somewhere else. Small fish feed on plant organisms and plankton. Slightly larger fish feed on shrimp, and predator fish feed on large schools of what we call "bait fish": herring, pilchards, anchovies etc. Without the big schools of bait, the large predators like sharks, barracuda, gar fish, Queenfish and trevally go somewhere else. But, that is not the only answer. There are environment changes and water temperature changes that move the bait from one area to another. As an angler you have to understand the feeding patterns and migratory routes If you want any sort of success. Nothern Malaysia has fantastic fishing for marlin and sailfish, but for best results you have to go at the right time of year. Go at the wrong time of year and you won't catch anything. It is the same thing for sharks.

Humans want their nice meals of shrimp and prawns, and very few think about how they get from the ocean to their table. Commercial shrimp fishermen work hard at supplying enough for the market and they have to continually go further afield to find an abundance. That is why they poach the National Park areas. Without the shrimp to attract bait fish the large marine predators go somewhere else. And, as I already mentioned, too many dive boats in the same area on a continual basis is also a problem. There doesn't seem to be any requirments to start a dive boat operation.

Of all the tourist areas on the penninsula I prefer the Krabi area to most others. It offers a nice balance of opportunities at a reasonable cost. It has just enough infrastructure to supply a viable tourist trade. You are never stuck with only one option and no opportunity to explore. It has a year-round airport that isn't subject to flooding and tricky winds, and there is a reliable transportation system. The main city/sea port of Krabi is on a river mouth, and separate from the tourist area of Ao Nang beach. I've flown down there a few times and we've driven over from Phuket. Either trip is interesting, but flying is quicker and easier. A taxi ride from the airport to Ao Nang beach takes about half an hour. Ao Nang beach is about 2 km long and has a variety of accommodation from very expensive to units that rent for 600 to 1000 baht per night. Night life is marginal, but available if you aren't too choosy. Although the main beach is okay, I much prefer taking a short boat ride over to Railey Beach where there is rock climbing and sea caves to explore in kayaks. One hour in a kayak is long enough for most people. The water is clear, but the coral reefs are missing and marine life is limited. I saw only a few Sergeant Majors and some smaller fish. The sea caves were fun to paddle though.

The main beach at Ao Nang

Krabi_171.jpg

The many long tail boats are there to transport tourist to Railey Beach

Krabi_beach_2.jpg

Aoh_Nang_beach_1.jpg

Meals weren't cheap by Thai standards, but less expensive than Phuket, and there was a wide variety of options .

Aoh_Nang_cafe_2.jpg

Aoh_Nang_cafe_3.jpg

I understand what you are saying, F1fanatic, but as a foreigner in Thailand there isn't anything we can do about it. It has to start from the Thai authorities.

Large, pelagic marine fish rely on an abundance of food. Take away what they eat and they go somewhere else. Small fish feed on plant organisms and plankton. Slightly larger fish feed on shrimp, and predator fish feed on large schools of what we call "bait fish": herring, pilchards, anchovies etc. Without the big schools of bait, the large predators like sharks, barracuda, gar fish, Queenfish and trevally go somewhere else. But, that is not the only answer. There are environment changes and water temperature changes that move the bait from one area to another. As an angler you have to understand the feeding patterns and migratory routes If you want any sort of success. Nothern Malaysia has fantastic fishing for marlin and sailfish, but for best results you have to go at the right time of year. Go at the wrong time of year and you won't catch anything. It is the same thing for sharks.

Humans want their nice meals of shrimp and prawns, and very few think about how they get from the ocean to their table. Commercial shrimp fishermen work hard at supplying enough for the market and they have to continually go further afield to find an abundance. That is why they poach the National Park areas. Without the shrimp to attract bait fish the large marine predators go somewhere else. And, as I already mentioned, too many dive boats in the same area on a continual basis is also a problem. There doesn't seem to be any requirments to start a dive boat operation.

Of all the tourist areas on the penninsula I prefer the Krabi area to most others. It offers a nice balance of opportunities at a reasonable cost. It has just enough infrastructure to supply a viable tourist trade. You are never stuck with only one option and no opportunity to explore. It has a year-round airport that isn't subject to flooding and tricky winds, and there is a reliable transportation system. The main city/sea port of Krabi is on a river mouth, and separate from the tourist area of Ao Nang beach. I've flown down there a few times and we've driven over from Phuket. Either trip is interesting, but flying is quicker and easier. A taxi ride from the airport to Ao Nang beach takes about half an hour. Ao Nang beach is about 2 km long and has a variety of accommodation from very expensive to units that rent for 600 to 1000 baht per night. Night life is marginal, but available if you aren't too choosy. Although the main beach is okay, I much prefer taking a short boat ride over to Railey Beach where there is rock climbing and sea caves to explore in kayaks. One hour in a kayak is long enough for most people. The water is clear, but the coral reefs are missing and marine life is limited. I saw only a few Sergeant Majors and some smaller fish. The sea caves were fun to paddle though.

The main beach at Ao Nang

Krabi_171.jpg

The many long tail boats are there to transport tourist to Railey Beach

Krabi_beach_2.jpg

Aoh_Nang_beach_1.jpg

Meals weren't cheap by Thai standards, but less expensive than Phuket, and there was a wide variety of options .

Aoh_Nang_cafe_2.jpg

Aoh_Nang_cafe_3.jpg

Nice photos mate..we live just south of Ko Lanta and yet never been to the Krabi beaches...wife keeps telling me how lovely it is..probably do it soon as need to go truck hunting in Krabi in the next couple of months..keep the pics of "our" Thailand coming guys...like a feel good movie...good for the soul methinks and helps us ignore the warts for sure...

my own "pool shark" pic attached lol

post-36430-0-81049100-1308103334_thumb.j

I've never been to Koh Lanta, but I've heard positive reports from friends who have been there. I usually take day trips from Krabi to Railey Beach, Koh Phi Phi or Hong Island, and wy week down there each year seems to disappear all too quickly. No trip to Krabi should be without the short boat ride over to Railey Beach. It gives a good idea of the islands to the south. Railey Beach is just an extension of the mainland, but the only access is by boat. The rugged, limestone cliff landscape is just too steep to build roads. Railey Beach is similar to Koh Phi Phi in that it is a narrow spit of sand separating a high lump of limestone on the end. There are hiking trails up the limestone cliff. Railey Beach is most noted for its rock climbing club that teaches beginners how to climb.

Railey_Beach_7.jpg

Railey_009.jpg

Railey_008.jpg

Railey_Beach_4.jpg

Railey_Beach_8.jpg

There is even a cave with carved wooden phalic symbols on display

Railey_Beach_10.jpg

Rock_climbing_2.jpg

This American girl didn't fit the classic image of a lean, tanned climber, but she did very well.

Rock_climbing_9.jpg

Rock_climbing_10.jpg