Sahara

WinnieTheKhwai

So, I went to Sahara as the hamburger came highly recommended. However, seeing all the Middle Eastern food on offer I found that the much more tempting thing to try; after all a reasonable burger can be had anywhere, but Middle East food options are more limited. Wouldn't it be great if Chiang Mai had an area like Sukhumvit Soi 3-5 in Bangkok for authentic Middle Eastern fare.

I'll make a long story short: Sahara is 'okay' but in no way great. Yes, Jerusalem at Thapae is BETTER. I was at Sahara with my wife who brought up the comparison to Jerusalem herself.. she didn't remember the name, but very much remembers 'the funny grumpy lady', remembers their washroom facilities, and remembers that said lady owns a poodle (or whatever similar sized canine) who she allows in the restaurant. All clear negatives, (to which I could also add that there's no parking) but she followed it up with (and I agree) that her food is better, tastier and feels fresher.

Maybe I'll go back to Sahara to try the burger, but when it comes to Middle Eastern fare, I really think I need to visit Jerusalem again. I'd recommend it, and there's a certain authenticity to having a loud Jewish lady presiding over things. :)

post-64232-0-26857200-1303992729_thumb.j

Sahara

Thanks for that. I was not that interested in the burger, but more in the Middle Eastern food.

As you said, Jerusalem Falafel is good, medium priced and both of the owners have always been nice to me.

There is also another good place very close to Butter is Better (on Chang Klan road just as you go past the Sri Don Chai road intersection) and the prices are cheap. 

I tried Sahara soon after it opened. The western food was okay, but the middle eastern food was not to my liking at all. As with most ethnic dishes served in many restaurants in Thailand, they are fair to midland, andlack authenticity and flavour of the real thing. The hummous was dry, lacked techena and garlic seasoning, and was mundane. Ditto for the eggplant salad (babaganouse).

Sahara is a lovely setting, haven't tried the upstairs bar yet, though pictures do look nice. Would be a nice place to sit for a nice glass of something in the evenings watching the trendies do their thing along Nim road. Prices are definitely cheap, but range of Middle Easter food not anywhere near what Jerusalem Falafel offers. As to mama falafel, what a character! Love her. She shouts at me, pouts at me, sulks at me and regales me with unsolicited advice every time I see her. Grumpy indeed but with a huge heart. Love it!

Sahara is a lovely setting, haven't tried the upstairs bar yet, though pictures do look nice. Would be a nice place to sit for a nice glass of something in the evenings watching the trendies do their thing along Nim road. Prices are definitely cheap, but range of Middle Easter food not anywhere near what Jerusalem Falafel offers. As to mama falafel, what a character! Love her. She shouts at me, pouts at me, sulks at me and regales me with unsolicited advice every time I see her. Grumpy indeed but with a huge heart. Love it!

Where is Jerusalem establishment (falafel) please? Been down Thapai road so many times over the years, but cannot place the restaurant.

Thank you

• 3 months later...

Tried Sahara last night and thought it good. I had an excellent, full flavoured chicken and eggplant stew from the Middle Eastern menu and the other half had a hankering for a burger, which she declared excellent. Nice fresh fruit frappes for 65 baht, and the wine by the glass for 90 baht wasn't too bad either by Thai standards.

While it might seem a bit odd to have a menu spread across Western, Middle Eastern and Thai cuisine I guess it means most people can find something they like. Pizzas at the next table looked OK too.

I'd be happy to go back.

In my opinion Sahara is miles ahead of Jerusalem. Jerusalem is way over priced and is so bloody boring. The upstairs of Sahara is good for food and also having a drink.

I think Jerusalem is utter rubbish to be honest, they may have a Jewish lady but the food is not very good at all.

If you want a burger however Pinkys is bloody good!!

I've tried only the Middle Eastern dishes at Sahara. Most of them, though surprisingly inexpensive, were disappointing. The exception was the succulent chicken kebab served with nice, fluffy yellow rice.

Fruit drinks were served in exceedingly tall glasses, necessitating an uncomfortable stretching of the neck to get to the mouth of the straw. I will next time bring a phone book to sit on.

Ample parking, lovely, relaxing decor, good service. If only this place and Jerusalem Falafel would exchange chefs.

I found Sahara pretty good for middle eastern food. Just took forever to get what I ordered for some reason... (on 3 occasions)...I had some sort of chicken in very heavy broth, the kind of thing they cook forever, was excellent. The western food was ... ok but nothing to come back for. Gorgeous place, for sure.

Never tried Jerusalem so can't compare.

Zoe in Yellow is awesome but very small menu. Best tomato salad outside Greece there...

We live near Sahara and go mainly for the cheap pizza. The pizza is GREAT and is only 99 baht for a large-ish cheese pizza.

There is no falafel on the menu....so vegetarian options are limited. The vegetarian panini is good. The fries are VERY hit and miss (we've eaten here at least ten times in the past two months).

The lentil soup is good. The hummus is okay but they only give you one small pita to eat it with. annoyed.gif

Husband enjoying his pizza: pizza.jpg

Edited by Yelly

jerusalem is way more expensive than sahara, which is why i don't go there, eventhough the food is excellent.

some chicken sandwich was very good in sahara, but there is some weird taste in their pizzas. it has to be some spice or something that doesn't belong in pizza. wish they stop using that, because their pizzas are very good value for money.

• 4 months later...

Went to Sahara last night. Thought it was very good, girlfriend enjoyed the food as well.

Was going to have a pizza or cheeseburger, but changed my mind and had the Sahara Salad, Lentil soup and Spaghetti with Paneng Curry thing (gf's choice). All tasted fantastic and the roof top seating area makes for fantastic people watching on the street below.

Traffic on Nimanhaemin was a nightmare though. Tough work getting through on the scooter.