Ubuntu 11.04 Is Out And Here Are The Torrent Downloads

Richard-BKK

Downloading from a web-server is also possible, it's often not faster. But with direct downloads somebody needs to pay the data traffic cost, in this case the University... not very polite to massively do that..

The torrents are really the official 11.04 release, for the update-manager it's possible that some none official mirrors (like mirror.in.th) not updated the repository...

The update manager notice had a warning that it was a beta version, yet it actually installed the final release.

Have to say next to nothing different from 10.10 apart from a kernel update. (I already had swapped openoffice for libre and never used rhythmbox...)

But that is because I am back to using gnome and the changes in 11.04 were 95% unity.

What I disliked (after a frustrating 5 minutes) was that most of my regular tasks now involved an extra click or 2.

Seeing whats in each workspace: 0->1 click

Changing workspace: 1->2 clicks

Starting a program from a menu: 2->3+ clicks

Also I couldn't manage to un-maximise Thunderbird.

Configuring the dock is not obvious. Wheres the right click->preferences?

Taking a UI designed for netbooks and converting it for desktops was always going to be a challenge.

It may be good for light users but for power users it is certainly lacking.

Maybe give it another try in October......

The update manager notice had a warning that it was a beta version, yet it actually installed the final release.

Have to say next to nothing different from 10.10 apart from a kernel update. (I already had swapped openoffice for libre and never used rhythmbox...)

But that is because I am back to using gnome and the changes in 11.04 were 95% unity.

What I disliked (after a frustrating 5 minutes) was that most of my regular tasks now involved an extra click or 2.

Seeing whats in each workspace: 0->1 click

Changing workspace: 1->2 clicks

Starting a program from a menu: 2->3+ clicks

Also I couldn't manage to un-maximise Thunderbird.

Configuring the dock is not obvious. Wheres the right click->preferences?

Taking a UI designed for netbooks and converting it for desktops was always going to be a challenge.

It may be good for light users but for power users it is certainly lacking.

Maybe give it another try in October......

I have been playing with Natty since Beta 2 and agree with most of the above.

As a standard user just opening everyday tasks Unity is OK, but as a power user it is a nightmare, and things that used to be easy are hard to find or non existent.

To get the best out of Unity you need to watch a video or 2 of how to use it and then learn some of the hot keys. Gnome 2 was much easier to find items you don't use frequently.

the fact that this site has made wallpapers with mouse click and keyboatrd shortcuts says a lot

One of my pet hates is the idea of moving the Menu commands of many programs to the top menu bar and delete them of the program itself!!!

This is not only a nuisance but as many programs do not support it means you can end up clicking on File- Save for the wrong program if you are not careful.

Unity does have some nice features if you take the time to look for them, but without help it will be a disaster. When Gnome 3 does not conflict with Unity I may try it, my brief looks at that does not fill me with confidence either.

I also do not see the advantage of making the large screen work the same as the small screen phone or netbook. Like all compromises it ends up making sure nobody is happy!!

Who says I will use the same OS on my other devices anyway?

Currently I am persevering with Unity but as each day goes on I am getting more and more ready to switch back to the classic interface.

don't like the way your desktop behaves? run openbox (or another minimal window manager) and make your desktop do exactly and only what you want it to do! ;>}

k

Interesting tool, but I just want a decent environment that is easy to use without me having to spend hours re-inventing the wheel.

Gnome 2 was fine for me. It would be nice if Unity (or gnome 3) were better polished to entice more people to Linux.

At the minute I think Unity has too many quirks to be ready for first time Linux users

[

At the minute I think Unity has too many quirks to be ready for first time Linux users

I think same. I just Installed on my Notebook Acer and in the first I was not much friendly with Unity, windows menu integration in the top bar, not quick sistem as gnome. Any way I will try to test better for some days. As performance I feel same like Ubuntu 10.10 with gnome is faster

I initially installed it on a spare partition to test hardware compatibility which I could not do in a virtualbox, and all was well.

Then I went ahead with the upgrade and had all sorts of niggling problems which only went away when I decided to format the root partition and do a fresh install. (Thank god for a separate home partition).

Since then everything has been good, and although I am not yet at the stage of saying I love Unity, after installing several tweaks and making a lot of small adjustments, it has become acceptable.

I've installed this on my Acer netbook and have so far only encountered one major problem: FireFox 4 which comes included occasionally eats nearly all of my 1gb memory and my machine slowly grinds to a halt.

There are 1 or 2 silly little things about it; re-boot seems to take longer than with 10.10 and while mine is re-booting, I get a kubuntu screen before it goes to my preferred xubuntu.

Other than these little niggles, it seems to work quite well

A while ago I tried RC2 and it seemed great. I have the problem though that on my laptop (Dell Studio 1555) the graphics chip, an ATI Radeon 4570, gets very hot. As a result the laptop's fan goes in overdrive and doesn't stop anymore. This is obviously not a practical situation. There seems to be a solution but my knowledge of Linux isn't sufficient to go deep enough into the matter. Is there an easy fix because then I might get rid of Windows forever. :) It's a known problem with Radeon chips and I once read the latest kernel should solve it but for me it hasn't.

Edited by AgentSmith

If a gig is all your working with i suggest a less resource heavy version, im new here and dont know much protocol but anything (recent) Gnome or Kde will grind you down if you only have a 1 gig . Ubuntu is still great just put openbox on it, if thats too much just go to distrowatch.com and browse around on the top list to find what suits your needs.

I've installed this on my Acer netbook and have so far only encountered one major problem: FireFox 4 which comes included occasionally eats nearly all of my 1gb memory and my machine slowly grinds to a halt.

There are 1 or 2 silly little things about it; re-boot seems to take longer than with 10.10 and while mine is re-booting, I get a kubuntu screen before it goes to my preferred xubuntu.

For older hardware I would alway suggest CrunchBang Linux, it used to be based on ubuntu but because of stability problems which are typical for ubuntu they changed to pure debian testing.

CrunchBang is a Debian GNU/Linux based distribution offering a great blend of speed, style and substance.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

Easy to use out of the box, great tips and tricks in their forum and a good way to lose your fear of the cli.

Close your eyes between the boots or play with gentoo.

If a gig is all your working with i suggest a less resource heavy version, im new here and dont know much protocol but anything (recent) Gnome or Kde will grind you down if you only have a 1 gig . Ubuntu is still great just put openbox on it, if thats too much just go to distrowatch.com and browse around on the top list to find what suits your needs.

• 1 month later...

On the download speed issue above it took 13 minutes here to download the ISO in direct dload model via chrome from the local Thai mirror;

ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso 1043 kB/s - 181 MB of 685 MB, 8 mins left

http://ubuntu-releases.sit.kmutt.ac.th//natty/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso

On Unity: I agree 100% with the negative comments above. Looks like a shoot to the foot for Ubuntu.

For older hardware I would alway suggest CrunchBang Linux, it used to be based on ubuntu but because of stability problems which are typical for ubuntu they changed to pure debian testing.

CrunchBang is a Debian GNU/Linux based distribution offering a great blend of speed, style and substance.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

Easy to use out of the box, great tips and tricks in their forum and a good way to lose your fear of the cli.

there is also archbang (based on arch, but without the need to build everything by hand) and antiX, which is a nice clean mini distro based on mepis. pclinuxos also has mini distros in both gnome and kde flavors.

k